0891: "Movie Ages"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Re: Relative time

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:it's not like you have a computer with Win3.1 installed on just for nostalgia's sake

Spoiler:

True, it's just DOSBox, not a physical computer, but... there you go.

nice. brings back memories, i had pipedream!!

Lazy Tommy

Re: 891: Movie Ages

Postby Lazy Tommy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

junes wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't think it's right to asume that you only go to movies when your 10 years old... particularly seing as how some of those movies realy weren't suitable for young children... I remember freaking out at a reshow of Terminator 2 on tv, when I was about 10 ('96 if you were wondering).

It seems that the definition of what is and what isn't suited for young children hasn't always been the same. The Brothers Grimm's fairy tales are pretty gruesome in parts, and they used be read to preteens. Also, I remember watching Doctor Who on Dutch TV in the '70s, when I was about 11, and it was scary as hell (these were the Tom Baker / Elisabeth Sladen years) -- and that was exactly as the producers intended. This was sci-fi horror specifically designed for children. Now *that* makes me feel old! :D

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

This is scary:

The present day is closer to the date of my death that the date of my birth (*).

Maybe not scary, but certainly depressing.

(*) 'is' means 'has a very good probability to be'

edit: now I'll play a game of Starcraft

Andrusi

Postby Andrusi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Zalde Ocga wrote::( this sucks, I'm only fourteen, where do I fall into this chart?

The Nintendo Wii is a firmly established video game console nearing the end of its lifespan.
Not named Dennis Miller.

ElectriCom

Postby ElectriCom » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

I get this feeling everytime I pick up a 10 year old magazine and see previews of Final Fantasy X. I still play that game

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

And another movie related one. Hands up anyone who vividly remembers a leather catsuited Michelle Pfeiffer somersaulting out of an exploding electrical store in Batman Returns? Yes? Well she was the subject of an article and interview in Saga magazine. Last year.

arkkitehti

Postby arkkitehti » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:True, it's just DOSBox, not a physical computer, but... there you go.

nice. brings back memories, i had pipedream!![/quote]

My Windows 3.11 didn't have pipedream, but I remember copying it from a relative using 1.44MB diskette. And I remember running a game (Stunts) from a diskette to slow it down to be playable on a modern computer. And that was over 10 years ago...

And Minesweeper on W7 uses over 60MB of RAM, which shows that while we have exponentially more computer power, we are getting equally exponentially worse at using it efficiently.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

gingermrkettle wrote:And another movie related one. Hands up anyone who vividly remembers a leather catsuited Michelle Pfeiffer somersaulting out of an exploding electrical store in Batman Returns? Yes? Well she was the subject of an article and interview in Saga magazine. Last year.

I think maybe we can just assume that knowing what Saga is without Googling it should make you feel old. :P

too_old

Postby too_old » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

I just learned that i am, being older than 35, supposed to avoid xkcd.

I will do so in the future.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

We used to do this with "What actor is James Bond?" My uncle swears Sean Connery.

You can also do the Presidents of the United States... For example I remember Jimmy Carter being president. My mother remember Kennedy being shot.

Who was the first President you remember?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:01 am UTC

Pointing out that someone over fifty is also in the "over 35" category is likely to induce a giggle and get you called "flatterer".

flatererer ... still doesn't sound right.
:EDIT: flaterererer ...
Last edited by Fixblor on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:02 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:Who was the first President you remember?

George Bush Sr. (I'm 24.)

I actually voted for him when I was in kindergarten (as part of an educational exercise). Then I moved on to first grade and learned better.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:07 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:George Bush Sr. (I'm 24.)

I actually voted for him when I was in kindergarten (as part of an educational exercise). Then I moved on to first grade and learned better.

Funny, I voted for him the first time around, when I was in the second grade ... schools must've changed their policy on teaching political opinions and leadership assessment in the intervening years.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Clinton. His second term, technically.
I remember voting for him when I was six years old, during my elementary school's mock election...I think I picked him just because I recognized his name.

At least in the school district I grew up in, mock elections were sometimes organized when the presidential one came around. Everyone from first graders through high schoolers could vote. Kind of an interesting experiment in public perception, actually, since a majority of the kids knew zero about the candidates' politics.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

f1g2h311

Postby f1g2h311 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:37 am UTC

26 and Little Mermaid is the first movie I remember seeing in the theater...

Just realizing teens today don't remember the boy band craze of BSB and NSYNC is what makes me feel old.

Blackie62

Postby Blackie62 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:06 am UTC

What's all this Revenge of the Sith stuff. I'm 18 and Toy Story, being the first movie I ever saw, is still the base film for making me feel old.

Clinton because they had a joke about him during the opening of Animaniacs, a show which people even a few years younger than me probably never heard of. Okay now I feel old.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:54 am UTC

Blackie62 wrote:Clinton because they had a joke about him during the opening of Animaniacs, a show which people even a few years younger than me probably never heard of. Okay now I feel old.

Wakko packs away the snacks while Bill Clinton plays the sax, it's Animaniacs!

Animaniacs was awesome. And the other show they had, Histeria. Too bad hardly anyone remembers them. They were too busy watching Nicktoons. Which I never got to see the first time around, since I didn't have cable. But I got something just as good if not better!

The 90's are now two decades ago. WTF!?
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:57 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:
Spoiler:

Hey, neat, I've got one of those too...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Shufny

Postby Shufny » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:45 am UTC

Maybe the first thing that made me feel really old, was seeing NFS Underground (you know, the 7th) referred to as the "original NFS" on some forums.

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:We used to do this with "What actor is James Bond?" My uncle swears Sean Connery.

You can also do the Presidents of the United States... For example I remember Jimmy Carter being president. My mother remember Kennedy being shot.

That's because Sean Connery is James Bond.
I'm not American, but I remember saying I preferred Bush because his anti-missile defense system would work against aliens.

Crista Galli

Postby Crista Galli » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

I was a teenager when The Little Mermaid came out, and I remember really identifying with it. "Bet they don't reprimand their daughters!"

The chart doesn't go back far enough for what reallt gets me: I teach college, and some of my students were born after Ghostbusters came out.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

s0merand0mdude wrote:As a 16-year-old, the "Shrek" and "Finding Nemo" ones made me feel older than "Snakes on a Plane".

Although I'm 16, I'm supposed to be 20, 21 and 26 according to the chart.

Hooray for generation lag!
Never forget about the floppies.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:
s0merand0mdude wrote:As a 16-year-old, the "Shrek" and "Finding Nemo" ones made me feel older than "Snakes on a Plane".

as a 16 year old you have no right to remember floppies, although i suppose they were still used for personal data storage for a long time after they became obsolete for software distribution, but even so, by '95 all software was being distributed on CD, i'm sure. at least i remember floppy discs when they were still in their prime! my first school even had computers that used proper floppy discs , none of those new fangled "called floppy but not actually floppy" discs

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:We used to do this with "What actor is James Bond?" My uncle swears Sean Connery.

In my mind Pierce Brosnan is still "the new bond", and Connery is "the old Bond". I'm young enough not to have realized there were older Bonds, and old enough not to notice or care that there was a newer one.

I remember Carter being in the news and thinking of him as "the former president", but apparently I wasn't alive yet when he was president. So I guess Reagan is the first I remember. (More on the subject of the comic, for some reason my memory of Carter being in the news is connected to watching Back To The Future on television some time in my elementary school years, which seems like it should be rather late into Reagan's career for the news to still be going on about Carter).

The first election I remember was Bush Sr.'s... and seeing news about the Gulf War on TV (the memory of which is for some reason connected to watching Hook on TV as well; I think I must have been seeing "later tonight on the news, a story about [current event]" spots during commercials while watching TV movies).

The president I remember most, the who who was just The President for the bulk of my interesting memories, was Clinton. Time had begun to speed up for me by the time Bush Jr. was in office, and most of last decade felt waaay shorter than even the latter half of the 90s did. I was still thinking of the Iraq War as "baby Bush's lame little sequel to the Gulf War" when someone first pointed out that it had been going on for longer than the infamous Vietnam War had.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

bantler

Postby bantler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

In my mind Pierce Brosnan is still "the new bond", and Connery is "the old Bond". I'm young enough not to have realized there were older Bonds, and old enough not to notice or care that there was a newer one.

But Roger Moore was the best Bond.

pierreb

Postby pierreb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:

as a 16 year old you have no right to remember floppies, although i suppose they were still used for personal data storage for a long time after they became obsolete for software distribution, but even so, by '95 all software was being distributed on CD, i'm sure. at least i remember floppy discs when they were still in their prime! my first school even had computers that used proper floppy discs , none of those new fangled "called floppy but not actually floppy" discs

I remember ordering a first generation CD writer for over 1000 bucks (canadian). I remember selling CD mixes (including songs from ace of base and the police, mind you) for 20 or 25$ each!

kensey

Postby kensey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

I just turned 35 last month. I'm going to go off in a corner and cry now...

soraos21

Postby soraos21 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Another way to make you (or other people) feel old is by comparing technologies you grew up with compared to now.

[*]Camera phones were introduced 8 years ago!
[*]The iPod came out 10 years ago!
[*]The Playstation (PSX) came out 17 years ago!
[*]HTML was invented 21 years ago!
[*]The Commodore 64 and audio CDs came out 29 years ago!
[*]The Pong arcade game came out 39 years ago!
[*]The laser was invented 51 years ago!

Do you feel old now? :twisted:

I am 17 years old, and I grew up with the PSX AND the NES. Thank you for making me feel 20 years older than I actually am.
All things, even those you know not of, are point of view. Public acceptance is subjugation and so is individuality. Neutrality is the only path...neither publicly accepted nor individual. Enjoy your hidden slavery.

Bobbert

Postby Bobbert » Sun May 01, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

I'm 23, and I don't feel 'old' because the Matrix came out in the 90s. Randall seems to have a bit of problem with his own mortality if he feels the need to make comics attempting to make people feel old, considering he's just 26 himself iirc.

Edrees

Postby Edrees » Wed May 04, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

In an ironic twist of fate this makes me feel younger. I thought Toy Story came out a looooong time ago, but it's only been 15 years. Not really that much.

A better way to make someone over the age of 21-22 feel old is point them to a 11 year old kid and tell them that kid wasn't alive when 9/11 happened.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Thu May 05, 2011 9:11 am UTC

Edrees wrote:A better way to make someone over the age of 21-22 feel old is point them to a 11 year old kid and tell them that kid wasn't alive when 9/11 happened.

That's already been done in xkcd, as has been mentioned a few times already in the thread. This one is specifically about how to make people old "using movie release dates", so throwing 9/11 in there wouldn't work.

saxasm

Postby saxasm » Thu May 05, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

Andrusi wrote:
Zalde Ocga wrote::( this sucks, I'm only fourteen, where do I fall into this chart?

The Nintendo Wii is a firmly established video game console nearing the end of its lifespan.

Thanks a lot, jerk. :o :evil:

I remember seeing Finding Nemo when I was around 8. Oh no, that was in 2003. Someone in that thread called that "distant past". I feel older than I should. :shock: :|

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Fri May 06, 2011 5:07 am UTC

I think of anything that happened before the year 2000 as 'last century', thus fooling myself from time to time into thinking that I could live forever.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri May 06, 2011 9:56 am UTC

pierreb wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:

I remember ordering a first generation CD writer for over 1000 bucks (canadian). I remember selling CD mixes (including songs from ace of base and the police, mind you) for 20 or 25$ each!
Though I admit I never actually used real floppy disks (5 1/2's), I still remember the time when we put names on the 3 1/2 diskettes. Thanks for making me feel younger though :mrgreen:

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Sat May 07, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote: 3 1/2 & 5 1/2 inch FLOPPY DISCS

I haven't used 3 1/2s since about 2001 but the laptop I owned until 4 years ago still had a 3 1/2 inch drive.

The last time I used a 5 1/2 was when I had a Commadore 64 back in the 80s.

Has it been that long already? CRIKEY!
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Samik

Postby Samik » Sat May 07, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:I haven't used 3 1/2s since about 2001 but the laptop I owned until 4 years ago still had a 3 1/2 inch drive.

My first ever laptop - an IBM Thinkpad a22m - which I got in 2001, had a 3.5" floppy.

It still does. And has outlasted three laptops in the interim (two Toshibas and a Lenovo - albeit the Toshibas were both used hand-me-downs and the Lenovo got spilled on).

At the moment, it is my only laptop (well, aside from a massively jacked up project machine). It and it's 1GHZ PIII, 256MB PC100 DDR SDRAM and 8Mb ATI Rage Mobility M1, and 30GB HDD are still going strong. Running Lubuntu, it's perfectly functional for web-browsing and what not (had to add wireless mini-pci and antennas).

They just don't make em like they used to :|

(Course, I don't think I've put anything in that floppy drive since about 2003...)

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:57 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote: 3 1/2 & 5 1/2 inch FLOPPY DISCS

I haven't used 3 1/2s since about 2001 but the laptop I owned until 4 years ago still had a 3 1/2 inch drive.

The last time I used a 5 1/2 was when I had a Commadore 64 back in the 80s.

Has it been that long already? CRIKEY!

So is it *REALLY* bad that I have to correct this to read the proper 5-1/4" floppy (not 5-1/2")? It was 3.5, 5.25, and 8.

To answer others: My first presidential recollection is Reagan. Can't specify at what point, though. I suppose the earliest definitive recollection of the president was Reagan speaking after the Challenger disaster.

Holy cow, camera phones are only 8 years old? Really? I would have figured older!
Damn, HTML is 21? I remember writing my first web page in Windows 3.1 notepad. (Wrote a commercial website for my employer in that, too. Edited the photos in good ol' CorelDRAW/PHOTO-PAINT.) I also remember running Mosaic 0.something on our HP-UX system in high school. We had a bonded multi-modem connection to the local university, via our donated "mini-supercomputer", a 'mini-fridge' sized computer with 8 386 CPUs.

I was never really in to Bond until just a couple years ago. Brosnan was the first I saw in the theater, but would have seen Moore and Dalton on tape (my dad had a co-worker who camcordered movies in the theater - the friend actually got prison time! -- Only one day, but still...) But since getting in to Bond more recently, I would have to say Connery and Craig are the best.

Dammit, I *DO* have an old 486 lying around to play old DOS and Windows 3.1 games. It was an early "slimtop" type design. It doesn't have a 5.25" bay, so if I want a CD-ROM or 5.25" drive, I have to string the data and power cables outside the chassis. I even have the main sound cards of the day that I swap in and out of its one 'spare' ISA slot: Gravis UltraSound, Sound Blaster AWE32 (both with RAM upgrades, of course,) and even a prototype of the very original Sound Blaster.

I was a little worried about the age assumptions as well. Why would a 16-year-old (my son's age,) feel "old" by learning that Snakes on a Plane came out 5 years ago? He's not even (officially) old enough to watch it yet, and when it came out, he was CERTAINLY not exposed to it.

For me, the biggest "man is time flying!" moment was seeing my cousin's daughter a couple months ago. She was the flower girl at my wedding, a very shy little 5 year old. Now she's a *very* "goth" teenager.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 am UTC

CharonPDX wrote:For me, the biggest "man is time flying!" moment was seeing my cousin's daughter a couple months ago. She was the flower girl at my wedding, a very shy little 5 year old. Now she's a *very* "goth" teenager.

Yeah, that'll do it. At our wedding, the flower girls were 2 1/2 and 3. Now they're 17. It is pretty freaky.

Design_by_Adrian

Re: 0891: "Movie Ages"

Postby Design_by_Adrian » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

Hello!

Newbie here!

I'd like an updated version of this for 2013 so I can continue harassing my work colleagues, please.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”