0891: "Movie Ages"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sirjohnmichalot

Re: 891: Movie Ages

Postby sirjohnmichalot » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 am UTC

Snakes on a Plane wasn't quite 5 years ago, it came out in August of 2006. I remember because I snuck in on opening night 2 weeks before I turned 17.

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:44 am UTC

I was watching an episode of the last series of Scrubs last night (the rebooted med-school one). There's a video of Drew invading the stage when he was at college first time round, which culminates in him shouting "You'd better recognize!". He later explains -- in the present day -- that this was a 90's thing. As if the 90's were a long time ago. Which made me feel old.

Did you realize that the first series of Scrubs came out more than 10 years ago?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:01 am UTC

This image is a year out of date.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:20 am UTC

"Did you realize that The Little Mermaid came out closer to the moon landing than the present day?"

*sits in a corner, curled up in a ball, shaking*
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

MrGuy

Postby MrGuy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 am UTC

Personally, I would have listed The Matrix of "In the last millenium" for The Matrix. Now THAT'S old...

musicgeek

Postby musicgeek » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 am UTC

mino wrote:I was discussing this exact topic the other day; for some reason, our '17 years ago' example seemed even worse than The Lion King, and made us feel extremely old and decrepit... ...Pulp Fiction.

Me too - I made a reference to the fast food dialogue bit in one of my high school music tech classes the other day and got a whole sea of blank looks. Then I remembered that I saw the film as a senior in high school.

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 am UTC

The first time a movie made me feel old was years ago when I saw an ad for the Pocahontas 10th anniversary edition. "You mean I saw that movie ten years ago?!"

More recently it was Jurassic Park. The awesomeness/technical achievement of it never faded in my mind and so the movie never seemed old to me. Then one day I was looking something up (I forget what for) and Jurassic Park was listed as coming out in 1993. I couldn't believe 18 years had passed.

The really surprising one on Randall's list was that Terminator 2 came out after Home Alone. I never saw Terminator 2 in theaters so I had always just thought it came out twenty years before I was born. Although, if I'd ever thought to do the math I would've realized that wouldn't make sense considering Arnold's age. :p
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 am UTC

After my 24th birthday this year, I realized I've lived in 4 decades already. Nasty.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

i'm 25 and all the ones for people over 25 work equally well for me, except T2, which i was too young to appreciate.

leifbk

Postby leifbk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

I'm 58 and the first movies I can remember were reruns of Bambi and Snow White. But this one blew my mind: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052751/

BTW, I've never heard about Snakes on a plane. Is it any good?
Last edited by leifbk on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

Randall needs a therapist.

Yes, people grow old. Yes, if you have a problem with that, you need help. Yes, there are better ways to "make people feel old" other than movies. Yes, if your life is so dependent on films, you need to enrich your life a little.

blackhatmatt

Postby blackhatmatt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

leifbk wrote:I'm 58 and the first movies I can remember were reruns of Bambi and Snow White. But this one blew my mind: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052751/

BTW, I've never heard about Snakes on a plane. Is it any good?

Well, "good" is relative.

It was kind of an Internet phenomenon when it came out; Samuel L. Jackson took the starring role because of the title. The premise (a drug lord tries to kill a witness by releasing a lot of deadly snakes...on plane!) is fucking ludicrous, but the movie itself is oddly watchable. But I don't know, I like bad horror/action movies.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

I remember Reagan being President, and Gromyko as Premier of the Soviet Union (you know, that country that turned back into Russia and a bunch of other nations).

My first movie (that I remember, though barely) was Superman III, in a drive-in. It was a double feature with Iceman.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

beav

Postby beav » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Another way to make you (or other people) feel old is by comparing technologies you grew up with compared to now.

[*]Camera phones were introduced 8 years ago!
[*]The iPod came out 10 years ago!
[*]The Playstation (PSX) came out 17 years ago!
[*]HTML was invented 21 years ago!
[*]The Commodore 64 and audio CDs came out 29 years ago!
[*]The Pong arcade game came out 39 years ago!
[*]The laser was invented 51 years ago!

Do you feel old now? :twisted:

(Choke!!!) I'VE BEEN AROUND LONGER THAN LASERS?!?!?

Oh me yarm Oh.

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

I am old enough to remember Rick Astley the first time round.

contreras

Postby contreras » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

haha this comic is spot on, Im 28 and Jurassic Park is one fo my favorite movies ever

spekkeh

Postby spekkeh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

This didn't phase me at all. Feeling excited about a Star Wars movie coming out actually feels like a lifetime ago. Or an alternate life in a galaxy far away for that matter.

Manial

Postby Manial » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

For some reason I parsed the Little Mermaid line as "There is a smaller gap between the moon landing and this movie, than there is between the moon landing and today", which seemed odd as you can say that about any movie that's been released after 1927.

Gandalfsdw

Postby Gandalfsdw » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Another way to make you (or other people) feel old is by comparing technologies you grew up with compared to now.

[*]Camera phones were introduced 8 years ago!
[*]The iPod came out 10 years ago!
[*]The Playstation (PSX) came out 17 years ago!
[*]HTML was invented 21 years ago!
[*]The Commodore 64 and audio CDs came out 29 years ago!
[*]The Pong arcade game came out 39 years ago!
[*]The laser was invented 51 years ago!

Do you feel old now? :twisted:

This is exactly what I was thinking, but as an academic the examples in my conversations tend towards:

Holy shit, do you realize that we are the last generation to remember card catalogs with actual cards and little file drawers and periodical literature indexes that required you to check every volume one by one. (Thank God for Ebscohost).

Also, every know and then I contemplate the fact that my ipod has more computing power than every computer I owned before I was 18, combined.

gerardw

Postby gerardw » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Swiss Family Robinson!

mearly87

Postby mearly87 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

This chart doesn't make me feel old, It just makes me wonder what my parents were thinking when they took me to see Jurrassic Park when I was 5. Otherwise the movies fit into my metal space of cinema vs my age

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

The alt text was dissapointing. The "Over 35" line would have made much better alt text.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

allauthors

Postby allauthors » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

This is the first one that's made me laugh out loud multiple times in a while. Especially loved the final punchline (which applies to me) and the alt text (which I know a few kids who need to have it used on them).

ß Orionis

Postby ß Orionis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

I enjoy telling the 35+ crowd (or anyone, really) that I watched Jurassic Park in theaters at the age of four.

Laverock

Postby Laverock » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

ptucker wrote:Did you realize that Star Wars came out closer to the end of World War II than the present day?

Did you realize that "Rock around the Clock" was No. 1 closer to the end of the 19th century than the present day?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

Randomizer wrote:More recently it was Jurassic Park. The awesomeness/technical achievement of it never faded in my mind and so the movie never seemed old to me. Then one day I was looking something up (I forget what for) and Jurassic Park was listed as coming out in 1993. I couldn't believe 18 years had passed.

Saw it on TV the other day - the technical effects still hold up amazingly well for being nearly two decades old. Comparing the dinosaur models/robotics to CG effects from that time (and even recent years), there's just no contest. No wonder they won an Oscar.

But I was 3 in 1993, so I never saw that in theaters. The Lion King is the one that scares me the most...that was the first movie I can remember going out to see, at four years old. I don't care as much for the Shrek example, which is supposed to be the one for [21]. That franchise has so many sequels it's obvious how much it's aged.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kanonfutter

Postby Kanonfutter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

I am just very surprised and a bit saddened that LoTR does not appear on the chart, instead of Shrek

MathUhhhSaurus

Postby MathUhhhSaurus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

Faranya wrote:Aw man, I saw Jurassic Park when it came out.

When I was 3.

At a drive in theater.

Which doesn't exist anymore.

Oh they exist.
They're just rare to find and usually out of the way to go to. SC has one called the Big Mo.

I saw Toy Story in theaters (maybe) and I'm 20 (closer to 21). I do remember seeing Pocahontas for sure in theaters which was: 16 years ago?!?!

That Jeff

Postby That Jeff » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

I used to separate people into two categories based on Star Wars (the first one, not Episode I). If you saw it when it came out on the big screen, you were an adult; if you didn't you were a kid. Guess that classification is obsolete now.

Huh. Just thinking about it now, Star Wars is closer to the end of WWII than it is to today.

MathUhhhSaurus

Postby MathUhhhSaurus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

rpgamer wrote:
Brooks Hatlen wrote:You don't even need to use movies for these comparisons. Starcraft came out over 13 years ago, and Counter-Strike has been around for ten and a half years!

That would be for the "using game release dates" variant.

SNES came to the US 20 years ago.

What? Really? I'm only a year older than mine, then D; This thread is making me feel younger than I am. :[
Side note: Man them things were made to last...just like my Honda ('93).

LSN

Postby LSN » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

NorthLondon wrote:I was watching an episode of the last series of Scrubs last night (the rebooted med-school one). There's a video of Drew invading the stage when he was at college first time round, which culminates in him shouting "You'd better recognize!". He later explains -- in the present day -- that this was a 90's thing. As if the 90's were a long time ago. Which made me feel old.

Did you realize that the first series of Scrubs came out more than 10 years ago?

The 90's...was more than a decade ago...
:shock:

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

When I was 3.

At a drive in theater.

I saw Star Wars, the original in a drive in.. which has been gone for decades now LOL
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Sethes

Postby Sethes » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

the way i make people feel old is via my job. working at an electronics store we sell a bunch of headphone. i tell people that look at least 35 that i still wear the fist sized ones, and thus all the girlies say im pretty fly.

but seriously, Jurassic park came out the same year i was born? your chart works.

nomplech

Postby nomplech » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

MathUhhhSaurus wrote:

When I was 3.

At a drive in theater.

Oh they exist.
They're just rare to find and usually out of the way to go to. SC has one called the Big Mo.

I saw Toy Story in theaters (maybe) and I'm 20 (closer to 21). I do remember seeing Pocahontas for sure in theaters which was: 16 years ago?!?!

There's a drive-in theater close to where I live, and I live in the middle of nowhere. Or maybe that's why we still have a drive-in. Either way, they have the most overpriced cheeseburgers, second only to Liberty Island.

I grew up on The Lion King... and I'm 21. I remember I woke up one morning and my parents were playing it on surround sound. I would walk around on all fours and pretend I was a lion.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Phone books is what gets me. I remember being young and using a phone book. Now every time I use a campus directory to look up an undergrad's contact info, which often includes phone number, they get all panicky. They genuinely aren't old enough to know that phone numbers used to be public info by default! :shock:

CharonPDX wrote:I can't successfully use this at work, because there are only two people in my department (of 25) older than me. (And both are within 2 years.)

No way, making people younger than you feel old is even better! :D

SlyReaper wrote:I... I actually don't know who that is. I've heard the name, but I've never bothered to Google it or anything.

Edit: turns out he was the lead singer in Nirvana, and he blew his own brains out with a shotgun.

Yeah, I'm about to turn 25, and this is new to me. Pfff, I didn't listen to music when I was 7. :roll:

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

For some reason this sort of thing completely fails to work on me. Things from the past already feel old. I'm 30, and if you tell me that something I remember from when I was 10 was 20 years ago, that has no more impact than just saying "you're 30". It's like, yeah, I knew that.

I tend to assume the past gets obscured faster than most people do. Someone laughed at me for saying, "Did you ever see this television show from the late 90s called Friends?" She's only 23 so I thought it was a fair question. When I'm talking to kids at the science museum I'll say, "This is a CD. It's like a DVD for music. It's what people used before iPods." The parents think I'm being funny, but seriously kids might not know this stuff.

tokamak

Postby tokamak » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Wow, Randall really knew how to get to people on this one. This is a reality check, just about enough to cause a 1/n life-crisis (insert any real number for 'n').
It still feels like the 90's to me. Kinda depressing that's actually the decade before last now.

Yet another metric:
My first car was made 23 years ago!
Previous car rolled off assembly line one and a half decades ago!

A 1992 model vehicle still sounds like a pretty late model car, new enough to me to not break down every other month, until I think about how old that is now.

EDIT: m/nth life-crisis, where m < n.
Last edited by tokamak on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Andrusi

Postby Andrusi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

I have a teenage brother who has been using Windows-based computers for as long as he's had the motor skills to do it. I once mentioned Program Manager to him. He had no clue what I was talking about.

If characters in the Pokemon television show aged in real time, Ash would be over twice as old now as he was when it started.

Every Star Trek series ended longer ago than the length of its run.
Not named Dennis Miller.

Dr_Robuttnik

Postby Dr_Robuttnik » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

It's similar to "Scary" but I prefer the "there are girls who were born after ________ came out who are old enough to do porn" way of making me feel old/creepy.
Jurassic Park is my current fill-in.

DevilsAdvocate

Postby DevilsAdvocate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

I'm in the "over 35" crowd, and I'd like to thank Randall for making me feel younger. "Jurassic Park came out only 18 years ago? I thought it was more like 25."

Although I did think it was a tad lazy of him to stop at 35. I would have like to have seen "115: Did you realize that A Trip to the Moon came out over a century ago?"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”