0891: "Movie Ages"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cynick

Re: 891: Movie Ages

Postby cynick » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:When I'm talking to kids at the science museum I'll say, "This is a CD. It's like a DVD for music. It's what people used before iPods." The parents think I'm being funny, but seriously kids might not know this stuff.

I've been a projectionist at my local cinema for just over 10 years, and we occasionally let kids having their birthday up to the projection booth to start the film. I usually give them a brief talk on how film works, and I used to start with asking them why they thought there was a difference in the sizes between the film they were about to watch (huge reel of 35mm lasting 2 hours) and video (small lightweight cassette which can last up to 3 hours). I had to stop making that comparison a few years ago when I noticed the kids giving me blank looks when I mentioned video...

It's gotten even worse with the introduction of digital projectors. There's nothing mechanical about it to explain to the kids, and actually starting the film is clicking an icon on a computer screen. I bet it makes them feel really special.

The first film I saw at the cinema was the original Freaky Friday with Jodie Foster as the kid :shock:

Twigshusband

Postby Twigshusband » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

This is a bit lame. I thought Snakes on a Plane was already an old movie because I've actually done stuff since it came out. When you get past about 30 you realise you're getting older and it doesn't phase you any more. Big milestones for me were; reaching the age I'd calculated I'd be in the year 2000 when I was a kid and looking around the bar and realising everyone there was younger than me by at least 5 years, including the barman. Both of which happened at least 10 years ago. I saw Star Wars in a cinema when I was 5. I remember when movies had things called 'intermissions' when you bought an ice cream, and usually you got another film before the main feature.
For me, I don't think about the past much except in terms of that was quite a long time and I've probably still got that much time left.

Twigshusband

Postby Twigshusband » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

DevilsAdvocate wrote:I'm in the "over 35" crowd, and I'd like to thank Randall for making me feel younger. "Jurassic Park came out only 18 years ago?

I thought it came out longer ago than that too. Perhaps as you get older your sense of time really does change. The Lion King, I took my nephew to see that and now he's got kids of his own!

Odal

Postby Odal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

I'm 23 but I never saw the matrix until 2 months ago. Does that make me 12 years old at heart? :D

(And, no I'm not a movie person, obviously. In fact I the only other ones on this list I even remember are Jurassic Park and Home Alone.

I doubt if I've watched even 1% of the movies that have come out in my lifetime.)

Genocito

Postby Genocito » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

I'm only 27 but I remember going to the theater to watch the Little Mermaid with my grandpa! Probably because the evil with Ursula scared the crap out of me. Seriously, I hid under a sit..... I was little, ok?

.... Jurassic Park was 18 years ago?..... scary, but not as much as velociraptors!!

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

December 17, 1989

If you are younger than 20... there are episodes of the Simpsons that aired before you were born.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

DevilsAdvocate

Postby DevilsAdvocate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:If you are younger than 20... there are episodes of the Simpsons that aired before you were born.

See, that format doesn't quite work so well. That might be scary to, say, 35-year-olds to realize that people who were born after The Simpsons premiered are now 19, but to the 19-year-olds themselves, it's a timeless truth--there always were Simpsons episodes that aired before they were born. There always will be Simpsons episodes that aired before they were born.

It's like me saying that the entire original series of Star Trek aired before I was born. That was true when I was 6, it's true now, and it'll be true when I'm 80, so that doesn't make me feel old.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

You know what? The ONLY THING that really shakes my perception of time is...

ready...?

BOB ROSS.

Which isn't really fair, since he died less than a year after I was born but I still watched him late enough in my lifetime for me to remember, not knowing he was dead. But still. Happy accidents.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

LieutenantLefse

Postby LieutenantLefse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

My two children are already 4 and 5 and yet I realized, as we walked into the theater to see Toy Story 3, that it was the first Toy Story movie made within their lifetimes - and that this statement would remain true even if I added their ages together. I still remember the first one coming out.

That, and the fact that there are now people getting their driver's licenses who never experienced life before the Internet.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

So the algorithm is:
1) Figure out the difference between now and when they were 10-11 years old.
2) Figure out a movie that came out at that time.
3) Find a way to make that difference sound like a long time.
4) Tell them about it.

Daggoth

Postby Daggoth » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

Moose Hole wrote:So the algorithm is:
4) Tell them about it.

5) ???
6) Profit

floreal

Postby floreal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:50 pm UTC

im 17, but the one that hit me hardest was "Finding Nemo" being 8 years ago...
the way i remembered it, "Finding Nemo" aired while i was all teenager and stuff, i didnt want to see it because i thought it looked too childish...
i was 9 back then it seems >.<

damn i feel old now...

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Yes, people grow old. Yes, if you have a problem with that, you need help.

The help needed, specifically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategies ... Senescence

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

Daggoth wrote:
4) Tell them about it.

5) ???
6) Profit

Proposed step 5: pickpocketing, curing cancer, robbing a bank, cutting Sir Mustapha's internet connection, becoming Dr. Manhattan, discovering functioning FTL travel, make a movie script as good as the one you found.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

beav wrote:
Plasma Mongoose wrote:Another way to make you (or other people) feel old is by comparing technologies you grew up with compared to now.

[*]Camera phones were introduced 8 years ago!
[*]The iPod came out 10 years ago!
[*]The Playstation (PSX) came out 17 years ago!
[*]HTML was invented 21 years ago!
[*]The Commodore 64 and audio CDs came out 29 years ago!
[*]The Pong arcade game came out 39 years ago!
[*]The laser was invented 51 years ago!

[*]The 9V battery was launched on the market 55 years ago!
[*]Remember Transistor radios? 57 years ago!

Do you feel old now? :twisted:

(Choke!!!) I'VE BEEN AROUND LONGER THAN LASERS?!?!?

Golly Gosh Darn Gee Wiz.

YES... YES YOU HAVE.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

ritvax wrote:Depressing? Announcing the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Edition DVD's!

What's really going to be depressing is when we get to The Future in another four years and we still don't have our damn hoverboards, flying cars, and Mr. Fusion.

On the plus side, it looks like a Pepsi isn't really going to cost $50, unless a lot changes between now and then.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Gandalfsdw wrote:This is exactly what I was thinking, but as an academic the examples in my conversations tend towards:

Holy shit, do you realize that we are the last generation to remember card catalogs with actual cards and little file drawers and periodical literature indexes that required you to check every volume one by one. (Thank God for Ebscohost).

Also, every know and then I contemplate the fact that my ipod has more computing power than every computer I owned before I was 18, combined.

That shows just how much we keep advancing computing power.

IIRC the average middler of the range PC has more or less the same processing power as the average supercompter would have had 15 years earlier.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

briarlee

Postby briarlee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

My dad had one of these moments last winter. He was 40 when I was born, and I just turned 24, so he's no spring chicken. But he looks much younger than he is, works at a physically demanding job, has an incredible sense of humor, and enjoys many elements of modern pop culture, so it's impossible for me to think of him as old.

We've been watching sci-fi together since I can remember, and while I was home on Christmas Break he decided we should watch "Silent Running." He knew it would be incredibly dated by today's standards, but he saw it in theater when it came out and was greatly impressed (this was pre-Star Wars). So we watched it together, and yeah, it was dated, but for the time it would have been pretty cool.

When the movie was over, my dad sat there for a minute and then suddenly said to me, "Holy CRAP. When I saw that movie in theater I was a year older than you are now." Most of the time his age doesn't bother him, but realizing that he was 25 in 1972--five years before the first Star Wars movie--gave him an intense "holy shit I'm a geezer" moment. He loves XKCD, so I'll have to direct him to this comic and see what he thinks.
Last edited by briarlee on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

astrosteve

Postby astrosteve » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Apparently I don't realize how long ago Finding Nemo came out because when I read it, I thought, "I can't believe Randall got the Finding Nemo date totally wrong, it hasn't even been out for five years yet."

No, I'm the one who was totally wrong. doh.

churko

Postby churko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

I bought Jurassic Park on DVD last week and have since watched it twice.

What amazes me is how I can remember relating to Tim (the boy) when I first saw the movie. I was about his age and was obsessed with dinosaurs.

Now I relate so much more to Dr. Ian Malcolm, the chaotician. I remember being so bored during the talky dialogue scenes that featured Dr. Malcolm's best lines ("what you call discovery...I call the rape of the natural world") and now, I find myself re-watching those scenes soaking in the dialogue. When the hell did I become a grown-up?

s0merand0mdude

Postby s0merand0mdude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

As a 16-year-old, the "Shrek" and "Finding Nemo" ones made me feel older than "Snakes on a Plane".
unus vox wrote:Then again, you're looking for characterization, compelling dialogue, and cohesion in a 3-panel web comic with stick figures.

ARandomDude

Postby ARandomDude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

Grammatically, the one for little mermaid is wrong. It should be "came out closer to the moon landing than it did to the present day" or "came out closer to the moon landing than the present day did"

Hopefully he means the first one, since the second one is a boring tautology in the context of this graph.

soxpm

Postby soxpm » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

This comic posted April 27, 2011

April 28, 2011is my 36th birthday...

well played Munroe... well played

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

I have a lot of friends who are a few years younger. It's always interesting that I can remember events like Chernobyl or the fall of the wall. Most of them can't, some weren't even born during the first one.

Even more awesome, a few months ago I was talking to someone from the Czech Republic online. And I mentioned that I'd been there three times, or rather, twice to the Czech Republic and once to Czechoslovakia. It then turned out I'd been in the country of her birth longer than she had - I had spent 2 weeks there in 1992, she had been born a few days before the split. That was very weird.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

cpt_klutz

Postby cpt_klutz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:That shows just how much we keep advancing computing power.

IIRC the average middler of the range PC has more or less the same processing power as the average supercompter would have had 15 years earlier.

Today, the average orange is as tasty as the average apple was, 15 years ago.
I would conjecture that this comparison is of the "eskimos have 40 words for snow" kind; you can make it true by the right assumptions, but it doesn't really tell you anything. Hoping to be proven wrong, I look forward to picking up my consumer priced equivalent of a 16-year old mid-range Cray T3E, with the 1024 processor equivalents. I'm particularly looking forward to the 2TB of shared memory equivalent.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 am UTC

philip1201 wrote:
Daggoth wrote:
4) Tell them about it.

5) ???
6) Profit

Proposed step 5: pickpocketing, curing cancer, robbing a bank, cutting Sir Mustapha's internet connection, becoming Dr. Manhattan, discovering functioning FTL travel, make a movie script as good as the one you found.

Step 5: Sell some bullshit anti-aging product.

Zalde Ocga

Postby Zalde Ocga » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:57 am UTC

:( this sucks, I'm only fourteen, where do I fall into this chart?

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:20 am UTC

Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone came out when I was four.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 am UTC

Zalde Ocga wrote::( this sucks, I'm only fourteen, where do I fall into this chart?

You don't, because you are not old and cannot be made to feel old.

mdistancerunner

Postby mdistancerunner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:36 am UTC

This seems a little off... I'm 19 (a couple weeks away from 20) and I easily remember the Matrix coming out, and just barely Toy Story. Either of those would make me feel older than the one I'm supposed to feel old from...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Zalde Ocga wrote::( this sucks, I'm only fourteen, where do I fall into this chart?

In the title text - "If you're 15 or younger, then just remember that it's nevertheless probably too late to be a child prodigy."

Enjoy! (Says the guy going "Really? Lion King is *that* old? Hey you kids, get off my lawn!")
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:42 am UTC

My demarcations are this. Someone way over 35 knows that Jason does not, and should never, appear in Friday the 13th as a real character. That is whole point and why it made huge amounts of money.,
<p>
Someone around 35 knows that Heathers is the ultimate teen movie, and the only one with a body count.
<p>
Someone around 30 thinks the Blair with project was a good movie and it was scarier than Friday the 13th.
<p>
Someone who appreciated Scary Movie and saw the sequels is likely to be somewhat away from their 30th birthday.
<p>
If you saw Mr. and Ms. Smith in theaters, you are probably old enough to drink, but just.
<p>

Dorp

Postby Dorp » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:54 am UTC

I'm only in my 20s, but the other day my husband and I were getting ready to go to the store and I mentioned how we could compare prices of dishwashers while we were out. We promptly grieved for our childhoods together. Also just the fact that I'm married is sometimes enough to make me freak out, since despite having a degree and a career I still don't feel like an adult yet.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:02 am UTC

ConMan wrote:

In the title text - "If you're 15 or younger, then just remember that it's nevertheless probably too late to be a child prodigy."

Enjoy! (Says the guy going "Really? Lion King is *that* old? Hey you kids, get off my lawn!")

See, The Lion King came out 3 years before Zalde Ocga was even born...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

vookaloop

Postby vookaloop » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:14 am UTC

I'm glad I'm old enough to remember Lion King and not Toy Story, it sucks we don't have that kind of animation any more!

herbys

Relative time

Postby herbys » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:49 am UTC

It has always surprised me how time scales feel different for different spaces. For example, time on music goes much slower than news, but technology goes faster and movies go in-between.
For example, November Rain by Guns and Roses feels way more recent than the Operation Desert Storm. But Windows 3.1 feels WAY older than either, and movies like Terminator 2 and Silence of the Lambs don't feel that old, despite all that having happened in 1991.
I think there's an XKCD joke in there, but I can't find it. Randall, get into my head, please.

junes

Postby junes » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:55 am UTC

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's right to asume that you only go to movies when your 10 years old... particularly seing as how some of those movies realy weren't suitable for young children... I remember freaking out at a reshow of Terminator 2 on tv, when I was about 10 ('96 if you were wondering). A solid way to freak people out, is to say that the children who were born the same year that you started in school are now ?? years old, or the children that were born in '93 are now 18

Re: Relative time

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 am UTC

herbys wrote:It has always surprised me how time scales feel different for different spaces. For example, time on music goes much slower than news, but technology goes faster and movies go in-between.
For example, November Rain by Guns and Roses feels way more recent than the Operation Desert Storm. But Windows 3.1 feels WAY older than either, and movies like Terminator 2 and Silence of the Lambs don't feel that old, despite all that having happened in 1991.
I think there's an XKCD joke in there, but I can't find it. Randall, get into my head, please.

i suppose it's because news and technology are in constant flux, whereas music and movies are things that are always there once they are made, and you can and probably will always go back to them.
it's not like you have a computer with Win3.1 installed on just for nostalgia's sake, nor did you tape CNN reports of Desert Storm, but you are i guess pretty likely to have T2 and Silence on Bluray or something, and i expect you have November Rain on CD/MP3 somewhere.

WontonSoup

Postby WontonSoup » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:28 am UTC

I'm 19, but "Shrek" did more for me than "Revenge of the Sith". That was the first movie I ever watched on a computer. I thought that was absolutely AMAZING, and the crystal-clear video and slick animation were so incredibly futuristic at the time. Man...

Yeah, now I feel old.

RebeccaRGB

Re: Relative time

Postby RebeccaRGB » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:23 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:it's not like you have a computer with Win3.1 installed on just for nostalgia's sake

Spoiler:

True, it's just DOSBox, not a physical computer, but... there you go.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”