0900: "Religions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Toam

0900: "Religions"

Postby Toam » Wed May 18, 2011 4:10 am UTC

Alt text: But to us there is but one God, plus or minus one. --1 Corinthians 8:6±2.

364 days in a leap year.

edit: I raise you one link.
Last edited by Toam on Wed May 18, 2011 4:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

from canada

Re: 0900: "Religions"

Postby from canada » Wed May 18, 2011 4:13 am UTC

it's funny cause religion doesn't make any sense

LOL randal GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

player_03

Postby player_03 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:14 am UTC

Sounds a little hard to test...

Also, due to the fact that this comic mentions religion, I fully expect this topic to have reached 6 pages of debate by Friday (plus 1-3 pages of other comments). That's just how it works.

vastbluesky

Postby vastbluesky » Wed May 18, 2011 4:18 am UTC

If the error bar were greater would that indicate the possibility of negative gods?

Toam wrote:364 days in a leap year.
??

Brooks Hatlen

Postby Brooks Hatlen » Wed May 18, 2011 4:20 am UTC

I've never understood how people can combine religions when each religion clearly states that they are the only one. That being said, it would be awesome if the whole world would decide on some Islamic Judeo-Christian faith so we can focus on more important things.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 18, 2011 4:26 am UTC

Hooray for double-encoded symbols in the title text...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 am UTC

Brooks Hatlen wrote:I've never understood how people can combine religions when each religion clearly states that they are the only one. That being said, it would be awesome if the whole world would decide on some Islamic Judeo-Christian faith so we can focus on more important things.

I think it would be even more awesome if the world were capable of focusing on important things without reaching any such consensus.

SEE

Postby SEE » Wed May 18, 2011 4:30 am UTC

vastbluesky wrote:If the error bar were greater would that indicate the possibility of negative gods?

??

366 days, minus Christmas and Easter.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 18, 2011 4:31 am UTC

The double-encoded title text has been fixed... it's now "1 Corinthians 8:6±2", not "1 Corinthians 8:6±2".

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

kittuh

Postby kittuh » Wed May 18, 2011 4:43 am UTC

Am I the first person to notice that the speakers switch positions in between the first two and last panels? Or am I missing something?

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed May 18, 2011 4:46 am UTC

Inb4 raging theism vs. atheism thread...
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Lukeonia1

Postby Lukeonia1 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 am UTC

1 Cor 8:6±2:
Spoiler:
Don’t do bad things, only do good things. Always treat your neighbour like someone who lives near to you. Never put a sock in a toaster. Never put jam on a magnet. Never throw your Granny in a bag. Never suck all the juice out of a vampire. Never lean over on Tuesday…

Oh Paul [Saint], you daft git...

alethiophile

Postby alethiophile » Wed May 18, 2011 4:59 am UTC

While the topic is still sorta-kinda on the comic, I'd just like to say the last panel made me laugh.

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 am UTC

So the may 21 things has been floating around, and since such legends are of interest to me, in terms of the social order, I looked it up. The top hit said rapture may 21 and end of world oct 21. The funny thing is that the end of world is supposed to come 150 days after the rapture, which I guess would be oct 17 not oct 21. If the people who went through this did not even bother to count correctly, I suspect the rest of it might be suspect. In my quick glancing, the oct 21 date seems to be important, so I suppose they might have fudged the calculations so they end up where they wanted. Which of course is the problem with faith based research. The facts tend to be chosen to fit the desired outcome.

In any case this was very funny. I believe all holy book are written by good, inspired, but ultimately fallible, and in terms of Christianity, sinful person. Therefore though the books may be good, inspired, and even mostly truthful, they are at the end of the day fallible. Attributing some fundamental authority to these books therefore reeks of the universal sin of hubris as we say that we know the mind of almighty, and one we put in words, the almighty cannot be limited by human desire, unless the almighty is no more than a fabrication of human desire.

In any case I would much rather live in a world where all religions that value life and relationships have validity, where we can have as many wonderful and powerful deities as are necessary, where we dance to bring the sun, and pray to end the hurt, and sing to break the morning rather than wasting our time waiting for the rapture. I feel sorry for those who life is not so joyful that they welcome the rapture.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 am UTC

For those among us that can't comprehend the English translation of the bible, here's the lolcat translation of 1 Cor 8:6±2:
So back to teh idolz. Sum peepl sez dere are lotz of godz. Not for us tho. We jus haz Ceiling Cat.

But not evriwun knows dat yet. Sum peeple freek about cookies dat wuz givn to idolz. But cookiez maek no differns to Ceiling Cat. Eat, dont eat, duzint matter.

Azkyroth

Postby Azkyroth » Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Well, I'm worried about the End Times. According to some religious traditions my Dynamics professor will reign on this earth for a thousand years. :(

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Huh, reminds me of this comic I posted.

http://xkcdsw.com/2996

Randall's not the first to make the raptor/rapture pun. 8)

Aaaaand now, cue 17 pages of religious argument.
Last edited by Ephemeron on Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 am UTC

I honestly think this could have been a one panel comic -- just the first panel.

Well... at least I thought that panel was funny enough to warrant being its own comic.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 am UTC

I just hope that Hell or even Mu truly is nothing more than products of the past generations' superstitious nonsense, otherwise my next life is really going to suck.

Personally I suspect that the reality of the Universe works something like THIS.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Postby 1055 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:17 am UTC

First Amalgamated Church FTW! (from Futurama)

That religion could certainly benefit from the discovery of the error bars. Their wedding ceremony, for instance, would be more precise. It currently begins, "We are gathered here before one or more gods, or fewer..."

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Wed May 18, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Personally I suspect that the reality of the Universe works something like THIS.

There was a time when sites like that were the principle makeup of the One True Online.
Now it's full of heathens. Practicing the faith, but not truly worshiping.

What's left? A lame Jurassic Park reference in the first panel.
There was a time when a well timed "Clever girl." could get you laid...cyberlaid.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

Illiander

Postby Illiander » Wed May 18, 2011 5:32 am UTC

None of you live in Edinburgh?

The Mosque kitchen is one of the best curry houses in the city. It sits right next to The Backed Potato Shop at the top of the student takeaway/sit-in food list.

Yes it started literally out of the back door of a mosque.

If you go back before Judeo-Christian religions started taking over, most other religions were wuite happy to have people worshipping other religions. The Jewish god's statement "I am the only one, and you shall worshhip none but me" was pretty radical in it's day.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:37 am UTC

He's going to Hell for that joke!

He's going to Hell in 2 religions!

He's practically sprinting there!
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

graudrakon

Postby graudrakon » Wed May 18, 2011 5:47 am UTC

What Hinduism doesn't even get a mention in the religion salad. :(
You can make fun of us too, we have feelings and when you don't mock us like the others it hurts. :cry:

:wink:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 18, 2011 5:55 am UTC

I burnt serious cheese at this. Maybe it was funnier cos I just got back from a tour of Israel last week. #wotm5
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

addams

Postby addams » Wed May 18, 2011 5:56 am UTC

Brooks Hatlen wrote:I've never understood how people can combine religions when each religion clearly states that they are the only one. That being said, it would be awesome if the whole world would decide on some Islamic Judeo-Christian faith so we can focus on more important things.

Hi; I may be able to shed some light on how people can combine religions. I do that. I,totally, do not stick to Judeo-Christian stuff.
I do not know how others do it. The way I do it is:
I find the good things that are common to all Religions that I know about and accept those things right away.
I consider the goofy stuff. If, it is fun, or, it enhances my human experience, then, I accept it.
I reserve the right to stop, or, change the goofy stuff to suit my needs, or, whims.
The boiled down, scraped off the bottom of the beaker stuff are constants.
I seem to have found two things there.
1. Love. Very pleasurable; depending on what kind of a mood Cupid was in at the time.
2. Kindness. The next size down from Love. It works when in contact with unlovable types.
Please; Judeo-Christian stuff is only one way of many.
I really like some of those people. Some I don't like at all.
If, the whole world was to adopt one Religion, then, I think that Zen Buddhism is a better choice.

I would miss the sacred days of the Pagans and the sacred night of the Catholics and the cavalcade of Hindu Gods.
When done right it is a joyful messy human experience. Kind of like sex for the soul.

I very much agree with you. We have more important and fun things to do than listen to someone tell us that we must see the world through the lens of one very restrictive Religion.
Love and Kindness. It sounds boring, but, it can be fun.

Dancing in circles with American natives is fun. Attending a blessing of the bicycles by a Priest in a collar is fun. Talking about Hindu Gods with a Hindu people is fun. It is fun to have a big Ganesh. It is fun to go outside on the Equinox and Solstice. It is fun to remember my ancestors, like, the Japanese do. It is simply fun. No more and no less than dress up for the mind. Looking at the world using different lenses.

I have zero interest in Religions that do not allow for a fearless search for truth and meaning.
Science is both the how and the why to me.
For many other people Science is the how; Religion is the why.

Religion can bring out the best in people. If, we were without any Religion, then, we might have even more bullies. Good people do not need Religion, unless something bad happens.
Religion does have a calming effect on many bad people.

I like Religion I just do not like being told that mine is insufficient.
Mine is expansive and flexible. It is sufficient. It gets more sufficient all the time.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

alextrabec

Postby alextrabec » Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 am UTC

I'm pretty sure this is a jab at all the people worried about the rapture that is supposed to happen on May 21st

http://www.may21-2011.com

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed May 18, 2011 6:26 am UTC

February 29 is spent in service to Eris and the Flying Spaghetti Monster, of course.

Edit: Also, February 21 is a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact, Maybe it will happen just after tea.

brakos82 wrote:He's going to Hell for that joke!

He's going to Hell in 2 religions!

He's practically sprinting there!

But he's making fun of three religions...
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Sasha S

Postby Sasha S » Wed May 18, 2011 6:47 am UTC

addams wrote:

Hi; I may be able to shed some light on how people can combine religions. I do that. I,totally, do not stick to Judeo-Christian stuff.
I do not know how others do it. The way I do it is:
I find the good things that are common to all Religions that I know about and accept those things right away.
I consider the goofy stuff. If, it is fun, or, it enhances my human experience, then, I accept it.
I reserve the right to stop, or, change the goofy stuff to suit my needs, or, whims.
The boiled down, scraped off the bottom of the beaker stuff are constants.
I seem to have found two things there.
1. Love. Very pleasurable; depending on what kind of a mood Cupid was in at the time.
2. Kindness. The next size down from Love. It works when in contact with unlovable types.
Please; Judeo-Christian stuff is only one way of many.
I really like some of those people. Some I don't like at all.
If, the whole world was to adopt one Religion, then, I think that Zen Buddhism is a better choice.

I would miss the sacred days of the Pagans and the sacred night of the Catholics and the cavalcade of Hindu Gods.
When done right it is a joyful messy human experience. Kind of like sex for the soul.

I very much agree with you. We have more important and fun things to do than listen to someone tell us that we must see the world through the lens of one very restrictive Religion.
Love and Kindness. It sounds boring, but, it can be fun.

Dancing in circles with American natives is fun. Attending a blessing of the bicycles by a Priest in a collar is fun. Talking about Hindu Gods with a Hindu people is fun. It is fun to have a big Ganesh. It is fun to go outside on the Equinox and Solstice. It is fun to remember my ancestors, like, the Japanese do. It is simply fun. No more and no less than dress up for the mind. Looking at the world using different lenses.

I have zero interest in Religions that do not allow for a fearless search for truth and meaning.

Religion can bring out the best in people. If, we were without any Religion, then, we might have even more bullies. Good people do not need Religion, unless something bad happens.
Religion does have a calming effect on many bad people.

I like Religion I just do not like being told that mine is insufficient.
Mine is expansive and flexible. It is sufficient. It gets more sufficient all the time.

As a devout believer in God, I very much loved your reply. Thank you, Addams! :)

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 am UTC

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are the same religion as far as I'm concerned. They have the same god, borrow from the same traditions, differences of belief are generally overshadowed by differences in culture and politics.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 am UTC

addams wrote:

I do not know how others do it.

e.g. Bahá'í, Ecumenism, Jews for Jesus, Catholic Bingo Thursdays, basically any non-secular inter-faith ho-down at your local community center.
... or there's secular humanism (*notice the lack of caps indicating plurality), most neo-pagan, new age, or alternative spiritualistic adherents like to cast a wide net too.

Everything is one, ergo:
1=∞
The Mathites undoubtedly agree.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

dr pepper

Postby dr pepper » Wed May 18, 2011 7:00 am UTC

graudrakon wrote:What Hinduism doesn't even get a mention in the religion salad. :(
You can make fun of us too, we have feelings and when you don't mock us like the others it hurts. :cry:

:wink:

But in Hinduism, there is one supreme power in the universe. Except when it manifests as the Trimurti. Except when it manifests as several metric tons of local deities. Hinduism already has those error bars in place.

collegestudent22

Postby collegestudent22 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 am UTC

rcox1 wrote:the end of world is supposed to come 150 days after the rapture, which I guess would be oct 17 not oct 21

150 days? According to what? It was my understanding that (according to Revelations) there was the Rapture, the 7 year Tribulation where the Antichrist rules the world, followed by Armageddon with the overthrow of the Antichrist and his armies by the Second Coming, and then a 1000 year Millennial Reign of Christ on Earth, THEN the final judgement and "end of the world" when Satan rises up for the final time. Where do you get 150 days?

Iranon wrote:Judaism, Christianity and Islam are the same religion as far as I'm concerned. They have the same god, borrow from the same traditions, differences of belief are generally overshadowed by differences in culture and politics.

There are fundamental differences between the three. Jews believe that they are waiting for a savior, and are currently "saved" through ritual sacrifice. Christians, however, believe that the savior has come in Christ, and therefore follow his teachings - namely that it is through belief in Christ and the sacrifice on the Cross, followed by the Resurrection, that saves them. And Islam says that the interpretation the Jews and Christians have is somehow flawed and "incomplete" (yet still from a perfect God?), and the real way to be saved is to perfectly follow the Qu'ran's teachings on good works, etc. (Which means I guess UBL isn't saved, even according to Islam, as he was all watching porn and ordering Coke up in his Pakistani mansion.)

I would be interested in how you answer the question of "why" with a scientific approach, given that "why" is a question of meaning. Science could explain how my computer works, but it isn't science that explains why I use it. Only I can do that.
Last edited by collegestudent22 on Wed May 18, 2011 8:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bencw

Postby bencw » Wed May 18, 2011 8:04 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Also, February 21 is a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact

Umm.... February? :P

jayarava

Postby jayarava » Wed May 18, 2011 8:09 am UTC

Hindu Experimental polytheism: 33,000,000 gods ± 32,999,999.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Wed May 18, 2011 8:09 am UTC

addams wrote: I find the good things that are common to all Religions that I know about and accept those things right away.

Well if they're good things, why just accept the good things that are common to all religions, why not accept the good things that are uncommon to them as well? ;)

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Wed May 18, 2011 8:14 am UTC

player_03 wrote:Sounds a little hard to test...

Also, due to the fact that this comic mentions religion, I fully expect this topic to have reached 6 pages of debate by Friday (plus 1-3 pages of other comments). That's just how it works.
Of course it works that way, because fanatic religion and fanatic anti-religion are the motivated by the same stimulus. So I can feel superior about both.

Is obsession with the rapture a purely US thing? It's not something I've noticed much t'other side of the pond.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

oddtail

Postby oddtail » Wed May 18, 2011 8:16 am UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:I honestly think this could have been a one panel comic -- just the first panel.

Well... at least I thought that panel was funny enough to warrant being its own comic.

I thought the same. I was gonna post "this comic should consist of only the first two speech baloons of the first panel", but then I read the thread and you beat me to it...

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:43 am UTC

Also, nah, I'm not really into Pokemon.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 am UTC

NotAllThere wrote:
player_03 wrote:Sounds a little hard to test...

Of course it works that way, because fanatic religion and fanatic anti-religion are the motivated by the same stimulus. So I can feel superior about both.

Is obsession with the rapture a purely US thing? It's not something I've noticed much t'other side of the pond.

i guess you've never been to Camden, there's nearly always a "the end is nigh" guy near Camden tube station, well, every time i've ever been there there has been.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”