0911: "Magic School Bus"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hirg

Re: 0911: "Magic School Bus"

Postby Hirg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

tjunction wrote:
That is the point. The alt-text is referencing a reoccurring joke in the show where one of the characters would compare their class to the normal class he used to attend.

Yes, but it might have worked better if it was plausible that ANYBODY used Encarta 2005. Nobody did, because Wikipedia was already much better than Encarta at that time.

Nobody uses or teaches Wikipedia use in schools. Referencing Wikipedia as a source is a good way to get a failing grade on a paper. Use of encyclopedias - electronic, like Encarta 2005, or paper, like Encyclopædia Britannica - is taught, and referencing encyclopedias is acceptable (although not encouraged).

In other words, what's your point? The comic shows a school bus taking children to a source that's never used in schools, and the alt text shows a kid whining about how at his old school, they used to use something that's never used outside of schools. It's a joke. It doesn't have to be realistic.

Gazzaman

Postby Gazzaman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

webgrunt wrote:
dp2 wrote:
Soralin wrote:
Lawton wrote:It always depressed me that school was about work, not learning. Genius is ninety-nine per cent perspiration and one per cent inspiration, but that one percent is hard to come by.

Thomas Edison wrote:Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Nikola Tesla wrote:If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search. ... I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.

And which of those two gave us practical stuff to use?

Wouldn't we still be using DC if it were up to Edison? And have to live within a couple blocks of a power plant if we wanted electricity?

Yes a DC distribution network is impratical...However, consider for a second that all (as far as I am aware) of our electrical storage methods are DC and an increasing dependance on locally generated wind/solar power is a small and very simple "power station" sat outside...just a thought

A_of_s_t

Re: 0911: "" (It's up now)

Postby A_of_s_t » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Although I did find the comic quite funny, these Wikipedia references are getting old.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

At first I was like "Heh", but then I :')

Encarta 95 - The world's knowledge at my fingertips!
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:Although I did find the comic quite funny, these Wikipedia references are getting old.

Indeed there have been dozens (a handful in the past month). And most about how ubiquitous or amazing Wikipedia really really is.

Fucking activists.

XKCD is a creative commons gift basket after all; and Randall is a techno-junkie, liberal apologist, and NASA burnout.

So redundant Wikipedia jokes are what we get, and frankly, that's about all we should really expect at this point.
Did you hear the one about the Wikipedia article that edited the other Wikipedia article? The punchline was a pun!!!
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:And which of those two gave us practical stuff to use?

Such as practical power distribution and the three phase motor?

musthavebeenmykarma

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

I can still hear those dulcet tones singing en-car-taaa and African drums on starting up Encarta '97. The best part about Encarta? The RPG trivia game where you went hunting around an old castle. I think it was called Mindmaze... Hopefully I'm not the only one who has fond memories of that.
Newpages: 250/2,3?? (~10%}

Blitz for it...

Psykeout

Postby Psykeout » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 am UTC

In panel three, the rainbow is upside down. Red is the outermost color, and is displayed as the innermost.

Also, Naruto is apparently in Ms. Frizzles class.

What.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:32 am UTC

I can still remember, my family's Macintosh Performa 630 from 1995 came with Compton's Encyclopedia. "Bringing you the world on a disc!" :P

Ahh, Magic School Bus. Gotta love the Frizz. :D
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Fixblor wrote:
Hirg wrote:When I was a boy, we ran around barefoot and kicked cans in the street and got yelled at by little old ladies for running through their yards. Those of us who were interested in knowledge went to the library, spent a half a minute in the non-fiction section, and then said "Screw it!" and went and found adventure books by Robert Louis Stevenson or fantasy books by Tolkien and a number of other authors, and sat high up in trees and read them until our parents yelled at us to come in and have dinner.

Encyclopedias are lame. If that's what they're using to teach kids these days, I fear for the future. Our children and grandchildren are going to be a bunch of factoid-filled, unimaginative, boring people. Creativity comes from those who explore uncharted territory, not those who fill their minds with useless facts from compilations of useless facts. Give it a hundred years, and we'll be back in the dark ages for sure.

Do you have my Encarta '95 CD-ROM?

Cause I just spent a half hour looking for it all around the place so I could continue with the data input. I'll continue my search tomorrow, and maybe even contact a few old friends just to see if they have it. And here you are, yelling at kids to get down from trees, cause there's no adventure in learning facts??? Please, explain.

This machine is my first computer. I missed the whole development process. There was a circuit board on a piece of plywood. Then, the Universities had main frames. Then, I have a laptop.
I did the reading real books thing. Wikipedia is much better. There is nothing wrong with a few facts. Science fiction is fun even after science.
If, the lights ever go out and the internet is down for a long time, then, we will go back to the paper book and smoke signals.
Books were so difficult. They are heavy. It was easier to get side tracked with a book than it is to get side tracked with Wikipedia. It is easier to find my way back with Wikipedia, too. Do you remember having as many books open on the table as tabs or pages open on the computer? I do. It was a mess to clean up. I put never tried to re shelve them by my self. It was an ify thing to do. The poor library people. What do they do now?
I think that it is nice for people to take some time away from the screen. It is nice to take time away from the screen with other people.

I really did have a favorite tree that I sat in as a child. Did you?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 am UTC

Dear god, Encarta...

I used to be thoroughly addicted to that little maze game they had.

RWW

Postby RWW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 am UTC

This comic reminded me of my 7-year-old daughter. We're teaching her to use Wikipedia to answer some of her questions about the world. (Also, she reads the magic school bus books from time to time.)

Zinho

Postby Zinho » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:48 am UTC

rwald wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:
rwald wrote:...Hypothesis: Mrs. Frizzle, Mary Poppins, and Mrs. Jewls are all different regenerations of the same Time Lady. Discuss.
You missed out Susan Death.

Naw, we all know that Susan Sto Helit is actually the same person as the First Doctor's granddaughter, who is also the same person as David Tennant and Georgia Moffett's daughter (who really ought to have also been named Susan, although I can't find any internet sources on what her name actually is). . .

Her name's Jenny. I just re-watched the modern seasons again to celebrate the posting of last year's season on NetFlix :D If you want a 'Net reference, the IMDB entry for that episode is at the following URL:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205439/ (sorry, not enough posts, can't use the URL tag yet)
Just look for Georgia Moffett in the credits; just remember that Georgia Moffett was the daughter, not the mother (she was "generated" instead of born, hence "Jenny")

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 am UTC

F**K.

THIS.

COMIC.

Does Randall's wikipedia-hardon have to ruin everything that is good in the world? College-freaking-humor managed to be funnier and less pathetic with their MSB joke.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:15 am UTC

Psykeout wrote:In panel three, the rainbow is upside down. Red is the outermost color, and is displayed as the innermost.

Also, Naruto is apparently in Ms. Frizzles class.

What.

It's Arnold. The main student character.

Ezbez wrote:
tjunction wrote:Encarta 2005?! Wikipedia existed in 2005, and was better than Encarta even at that point.

That is the point. The alt-text is referencing a reoccurring joke in the show where one of the characters would compare their class to the normal class he used to attend.

She. Phoebe. It was a girl.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

merlinblack

Postby merlinblack » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 am UTC

Wingman4l7 wrote:Did anyone else notice that the rocketship in panel 3 is from Tintin's Destination Moon / Explorers on the Moon?

I still have those two books somewhere, they were the first Tintin comics I ever read. One of the most recognisable space ships ever - should you actually recognise it. :P

zeptimius

Postby zeptimius » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

Wingman4l7 wrote:Did anyone else notice that the rocketship in panel 3 is from Tintin's Destination Moon / Explorers on the Moon?

...and for those of you curious about such things, the checkerboard pattern was apparently modeled after V2 rockets, and was "used to measure the roll rate of a rocket during test flights".

I'm European and born in 1970 so yes. Hergé, the creator of Tintin, was a notorious, Kubrick-type perfectionist, and this double feature, which predates the moon landing by a year or two, was apparently quite accurate.

RogueCynic

Re: 0911: ""

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

prophile wrote:Randall must have died.

Rest in peace, Randall.
I don't think Randall died, but my childhood certainly did. Thank you Randall. Tomorrow's comic will be delayed, due to the Bruins/Vancouver game.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Stargazer712

Postby Stargazer712 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

"Like" this post if you went to Wikipedia to look up what Encarta was...

... what do you mean there's no "Like" button? ...

... lame ...

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

zeptimius wrote:

...and for those of you curious about such things, the checkerboard pattern was apparently modeled after V2 rockets, and was "used to measure the roll rate of a rocket during test flights".

I'm European and born in 1970 so yes. Hergé, the creator of Tintin, was a notorious, Kubrick-type perfectionist, and this double feature, which predates the moon landing by a year or two, was apparently quite accurate.

You mean a year or fifteen. And it's accurate in the same way that all science fiction is "accurate", in that it represents the author's best understanding of how technologies should work. It's the 'should' part (and artistic license) that leads to awesomeness.
However, simply judging by the cover of Explorers on the Moon, circa 1954 ... a towering single-stage rocket landing upright on the moon isn't exactly the optimal way to get there, or even the way things have been done since the 1950's.
Also, the moon isn't a vivid green or yellow.
And everyone knows that dogs stand upright in lunar gravity, ever since H.G. first dropped terrier bombs on the Selenites at the turn of the last century.
Long Live the Snacker Doodle!
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

Psykeout wrote:In panel three, the rainbow is upside down.

No, it's not. That's the inverse-rainbow, the new symbol for heterosexuality.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

The curvature on the path of the bus made this comic. I have no idea why - but it would be much less funny if the bus just moved horizontally.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

kikoskia

Postby kikoskia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:43 am UTC

I came home from school after watching a magic school bus vid, saw this comic, totally freaked out.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Nifty art, neat colours, ... WIKIPEDIA JOKE? Oh, God.

Rule of Randall #1: when all else fails, do a Wikipedia joke.

I thought you said when all else fails make a comic about something that may or may not be a current event in his life?
Anyway the joke isn't really about Wikipedia, it just mentions Wikipedia.

What fascinates me is the desire of people to continue to do things that they hate... as I scrolled up this page of the thread, I kept seeing people complaining about the comic. You would think they would learn eventually.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:32 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:What fascinates me is the desire of people to continue to do things that they hate... as I scrolled up this page of the thread, I kept seeing people complaining about the comic. You would think they would learn eventually.

Learn what exactly? On balance, we read the dang blasted thing. You'd think people who see repeated criticism repeatedly would learn ... schmuck.

On the other hand, I'm sure if you submitted a survey to all us chronic hate-doers, we'd love to fill it out for you ... with the appropriate level of bias, of course.
A case study in proselytizing naysayery could be a first, jackass.
Dipshit.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:00 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:

I thought you said when all else fails make a comic about something that may or may not be a current event in his life?
Anyway the joke isn't really about Wikipedia, it just mentions Wikipedia.

What fascinates me is the desire of people to continue to do things that they hate... as I scrolled up this page of the thread, I kept seeing people complaining about the comic. You would think they would learn eventually.

I know, right? It's so weird how people who are unhappy with something on the internet don't just shut-up and let it get even worse. Thank goodness that in real life, they know to shut up and stay in line!

grayvsgrey

Postby grayvsgrey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:31 am UTC

I used Encarta '97 until, oh, 2005 or so? And that was only two years after I stopped using my family's set of printed encyclopedias from 1960. Yes. 1960.
Oh Wikipedia how I came to love thee for somewhat biased and unreliable but generally comprehensive and comprehensible information.
Are those Saturn and a V2 rocket?

I love xkcd. I don't think it's gotten any worse over the years; our expectations have gotten very high, though.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:33 am UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:I know, right? It's so weird how people who are unhappy with something on the internet don't just shut-up and let it get even worse. Thank goodness that in real life, they know to shut up and stay in line!

So cute, ma'am. But really, I'd say I'm not afraid to call a person on bullshit in public but this isn't real so I'd obviously be lying.
Bravery in distance, cowardice in proximity? Is that what you really think? That everyone is someone else online? You sad sad ... expletive deleted.

On the other hand, your ironic mimicry is not lost on me. And if you think you've never rolled your eyes (figuratively) then you're missing out on a real life experience. I recommend a snide remark next time your waiting in line at a rarely visited shop (it'd be safer for you that way, given your proclivity for fear-filled thinking). When you're on your way out the store, be sure to give a paranoid glance over your shoulder and when they laugh at you ... remember it's all for sport. Or you could just stop baiting the trolls.

"No one's listening to you"

grayvsgrey

Postby grayvsgrey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:43 am UTC

musthavebeenmykarma wrote:I can still hear those dulcet tones singing en-car-taaa and African drums on starting up Encarta '97. The best part about Encarta? The RPG trivia game where you went hunting around an old castle. I think it was called Mindmaze... Hopefully I'm not the only one who has fond memories of that.

I remember that too! Aside from chess, minesweeper, and Carmen San Diego, that was the only video game I was allowed to play, and only because I convinced my mom it wasn't role-playing (she'd heard the term related to "evil D&D and witchcraft games" but didn't know what it actually meant). That was a ton of fun though...

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

I prefer Phineas J. Whoopee, the man with all the answers. There should be a Whoopeepedia.

Lazy Tommy

Postby Lazy Tommy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Ha, Explorers on the Moon was the first Tintin album I ever read. Strangely enough, I never did read Destination Moon, though. I should fix that some day.

Regarding the checkerboard pattern, I noticed the similarity with the V-2 from some WWII footage of the things. The rocket in the comic looks a lot like the V-2 in other respects, too -- the fuselage and the fins are pretty much the same, just a lot larger. Now that you mentioned the reason for the checkerboard pattern, though, I'm thinking that I'd hope that the engineers would get the roll issue under control before allowing people to ride the rocket! :-)

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

I rather wish he would have done a wikipedia joke. I'm not really sure how this is a joke though. "What if the magic school bus just went to a computer with an internet connection and the looked up wikipedia?" HAHAHA.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

I rather wish he would have done a wikipedia joke. I'm not really sure how this is a joke though. "What if the magic school bus just went to a computer with an internet connection and the looked up wikipedia?" HAHAHA.

I thought the joke was that Wikipedia is like a modern Magic School Bus. You wonder something, and then dive immediately into a magical world of more information than you ever wanted to know about the thing you wondered about.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
Soralin wrote:
Lawton wrote:It always depressed me that school was about work, not learning. Genius is ninety-nine per cent perspiration and one per cent inspiration, but that one percent is hard to come by.

Thomas Edison wrote:Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Nikola Tesla wrote:If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search. ... I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.

And which of those two gave us practical stuff to use?

Are you serious? You must be joking. You can't be serious, can you?

Tesla gave us Electricity (I'm talking about real, practical, useable electricity here), Edison only gave us batteries and light bulbs (and he stole the light bulb idea, so I frankly don't count it).

Electricity is not stored at local substations, there are no batteries on the planet that can handle the kind of power necessary to be used for such a purpose. If they did, blackouts and brownouts would be virtually non-existent. There would also be no need to charge higher rates at peak hours, as wasted electricity could be stored in periods of excess. No, electricity is piped from regional sources at very high voltages (a technology also developed by Tesla, by the way) over hundreds of miles to different localities. This means that total production is dictated by peak capacity, and is the reason electric companies want to encourage off-peak usage - if they can reduce peak usage they can reduce capacity and overall waste. This may sound like a major downside, and it is, but it is nothing compared to the downside of DC power. If Edison had had his way there would be power plants every few miles (not substations, power production plants!), because that is the limit of DC distribution. With Tesla's AC and his three phase generator (still in use today), high power generators were possible instead of the piddly little DC things Edison wanted to use. This made things like hydro-electricity (which he also pioneered) and modern wind power possible.

Tesla also gave us the basis for the wireless transmission of electricity, which led to all forms of radio communication. Granted, his primary research was in transmission through the ground, but he was also the first to demonstrate radio communication (poor business sense led to Marconi getting the patent for that, but his patent was overturned in 1943 and recognition awarded to Tesla). Without Tesla we'd have no cell phones, no wireless internet, no radio, radio control, etc. I hope you can fathom what that does to our modern world. Hell, the SI unit for magnetic field strength is tesla for heaven's sake! As I recall there is no "edison" unit of measure for anything. Surely that gives you SOME indication of his importance.

While Edison managed to steal the incandescent light bulb from his assistants, Tesla was busy inventing the vastly more efficient and more useful fluorescent tube - could you imagine life without fluorescent lighting today?

Some of Tesla's inventions have gone the way of the hobbyist or aficionado (like Tesla Coils and the vacuum tube amplifier), others, like AC current and fluorescent lighting, will probably be around for a few more centuries. Still others were heavily influenced by his work - like lasers, cathode-ray tubes, and solar cells.

While Edison is the celebrity scientist poorly informed school children think of for that time period, most of the modern technology we use was based on Tesla's work. Some of this technology we would have regardless, as Tesla was competing with other scientists for these inventions (radio, in particular), but a great many of his inventions were simply revolutionary and world-changing. Most people who know anything at all about Nikola Tesla consider him to be the father of modern technology. I really don't think it is possible to over-state Tesla's impact on the world. Edison's impact, while significant, pales by comparison.

Edit:

Oh and this whole thing is way off topic, but it is three pages in so hopefully you all will forgive me.

B++

Postby B++ » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

This comic reminds me of Family Guy humor.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:36 am UTC

I still remember when we bootlegged the Magic School Bus software and Encarta.

Encarta was indeed nostalgic, I got 2003, 2005, and 2008 in my computer installed before (back when I was a kid), taking up half the hard disk.
My dad keeps Encarta in his laptop though. His argument is that you can't have internet access everytime. (note: he also installed Encarta Kids. What the fuck.)

I think the nostalgia boots up this tired wikipedia joke very well.

dr pepper

Postby dr pepper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 am UTC

rwald wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:
rwald wrote:...Hypothesis: Mrs. Frizzle, Mary Poppins, and Mrs. Jewls are all different regenerations of the same Time Lady. Discuss.
You missed out Susan Death.

Naw, we all know that Susan Sto Helit is actually the same person as the First Doctor's granddaughter, who is also the same person as David Tennant and Georgia Moffett's daughter (who really ought to have also been named Susan, although I can't find any internet sources on what her name actually is). Although I'm sure she would get along with the Teacher, as Frizzle/Poppins/Jewls probably calls herself.

Huh, someone who graduated from Gallifrey U with better than a C average, and who can actually get where they intended to go and who isn't a self absorbed villain? We want fanfic now!

Actually we want a multiseason audio series from Big Finish, but we'll settle for fanfic.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”