0918: "Google+"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Snkz

0918: "Google+"

Postby Snkz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:19 am UTC

Alt text: "On one hand, you'll never be able to convince your parents to switch. On the other hand, you'll never be able to convince your parents to switch!"

Google no more of this!

joee

Re: 918: "Google+"

Postby joee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:21 am UTC

extra preceding 0 in the title -- 0918 The comic should link to the comic webpage

I have one of these invites. And it really just look like a best bits of a bunch of social networking sites added together. Should be interesting to see how it works when more people are on it
Last edited by joee on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hi glasnt.

graudrakon

Re: 0918: "Google+"

Postby graudrakon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:21 am UTC

Project Diaspora *cough*

Harold

Postby Harold » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:23 am UTC

joee wrote: Should be interesting to see how it works when more people are on it

Why would anyone want to move, if their content is already on Facebook? Google+ offers no benefit to the end user, at least compared with the effort involved moving platforms.

Snkz

Postby Snkz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 am UTC

joee wrote:extra preceding 0 in the title -- 0918 The comic should link to the comic webpage

Undo-able as I am a user noob, my BB powers are limited.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 am UTC

Ironically enough, I didn't even hear about this Google+ business until my friends started posting about it on Facebook. I think I'm going to post this comic on my wall, in fact...

novium

Postby novium » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:32 am UTC

I like diaspora, and I really want them to succeed. But they're not there yet...and I worry that they missed their moment. Virtually disappearing was not a good way to keep the momentum going.

Anyway, in regards to facebook....at this point, I'll take anything.

Shiyiya

Postby Shiyiya » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Bet you five quid they retire it by 2015.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:37 am UTC

Just a few hours ago, while browsing /., I was thinking it's the same thing. "Google+? Um... it seems like Facebook. But it isn't! So... it's not evil, I guess? Cool!"

I don't know if Randall was paid for this product placement, but if he was, I'd like for him and Google to know that the alt-text won me over.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

Unknownlight

Postby Unknownlight » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:40 am UTC

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/inside-google-plus-social/1

^A mammoth article about Google+. Also, a very good read. I didn't care about G+ in the slightest until I read it.

karanj

Postby karanj » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:44 am UTC

"I have an invite, who wants?" thread in 3... 2...

A bonus to the alt-text: even if your parents do join, the Circles ought to take care of that. Boom!

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:49 am UTC

I got an invite. When I went to use it, I got an error about full servers or something like that. I guess it is more popular then they'd hoped.
I wonder what this means for Orkut and Buzz. Hopefully they'll retire Buzz with what little dignity it has left and merge this with Orkut if it is a success. It'd be silly to have two social networks in your portfolio, even if one is only used in Brazil and India.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Joskanathan

Postby Joskanathan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 am UTC

This comic pretty much sums up Facebook, iDevices, and Walmart for me.
I said no to drugs.
They didn't listen.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Alt text: "On one hand, you'll never be able to convince your parents to switch. On the other hand, you'll never be able to convince your parents to switch!"

Google+ should use the above as their sales pitch to teenagers, that will bring them in for sure.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Who cares about Google+, won't somebody please find a way to get rid of the black line that's appeared at the top of Google?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

TheRedSeven

Postby TheRedSeven » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:11 am UTC

I received an invite today from a friend that works at the Goog. So far, I've noticed that the privacy settings are quite a bit more transparent than Facebook's. You get a lot of "If you set this to 'yes,' other people and websites can see your information."

The flipside is that you start out with email notifications for every action, as a default selection. My one friend & I managed to send each other 10 emails in a couple minutes before we realized it. I'm guessing that setting will get switched pretty quick, either by the devs or by users.

You can also integrate your Picasa photo albums seamlessly, making a great transition from desktop storage to web storage to sharing. And the privacy settings (again) allow you to prevent or require permission for people to tag you--making the automatic facial recognition not quite so big-brotherish.

Also, the Circles makes it possible to add co-workers without fear of them noticing frequent posting or work-related posts. I've been reluctant to connect with co-workers on Facebook thus far because of this.

But as Randall says, the biggest draw is that this can function very similarly to Facebook, without being Facebook (with all the privacy idiocy they have).

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Yay, it's a new xkcd! :D
Oh, it's a new xkcd :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ilikerps

Postby ilikerps » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:17 am UTC

+1 to comic.
As far as I know, no new invites will be sent until the field trial ends.

Eutychus wrote:Who cares about Google+, won't somebody please find a way to get rid of the black line that's appeared at the top of Google?

Courtesy of a SRE.
User stylesheet, .onegoogle, #onegoogbar { display: none !important; }

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Ok I read that very long article, and I'm sold.

I've never liked facebook. In fact I've hated it from the moment I first tried it. Its privacy issues are ridiculous, it shares stuff even if you've explicitely forbidden it from doing so in 2 different places, and it's all hidden away in layers and layers of terrible obtuse settings. The interface itself is, frankly, a total mess, and it keeps bothering me with stuff that is completely uninteresting. Just because I added 4000 people to my friends list whom I've never even met or heard about (A requirement for one of those facebook games I played for a while) doesn't mean I'm interested in reading all their inane chatter all day long :)

Google+ sounds very interesting. I'm curious to try it out. Anybody who has an invite?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

ryukafalz

Postby ryukafalz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:40 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Google+ sounds very interesting. I'm curious to try it out. Anybody who has an invite?

Nobody outside of Google has invites to give out. Request one on the main page.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:50 am UTC

ryukafalz wrote:
Diadem wrote:Google+ sounds very interesting. I'm curious to try it out. Anybody who has an invite?

Nobody outside of Google has invites to give out. Request one on the main page.

Well I signed up for more information. Guess I'll wait and see how soon they roll it out.

I did encounter one thing I dislike. It's my one beef with google. I can't get to thing to show me international content. It always keeps suddenly sneaking Dutch on me. The project main page is in English, when I press the 'keep me posted' that's in English. When I click 'tell me more' that's in English. And then when I click 'details' it's suddenly in Dutch, except some parts they obviously haven't had time to translate yet. Meh. Anybody got Larry Page's home phone number? It's high time someone told him to implement a "Use this as the default language on all my google projects everywhere, including my fucking android" button. Same deal location. Because even the international google.com page is showing me location specific content these days.

I don't mind that feature. It's cool. I want to be able to switch it off though. I hate being forced into things just because of my geographic position. This is the internets, location is irrelevant here.

Other than that though, I'm a big fan of google.
Last edited by Diadem on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Shiyiya

Postby Shiyiya » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Who cares about Google+, won't somebody please find a way to get rid of the black line that's appeared at the top of Google?

Yeah I don't really understand that design decision.

ysth

Postby ysth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:56 am UTC

Personally, this has inspired me to think about installing StatusNet and MediaGoblin servers.

Err, this being the Google+ announcement, not the comic.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Unknownlight

Postby Unknownlight » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:59 am UTC

Shiyiya wrote:Yeah I don't really understand that design decision.

G+ is going up there. It's black so that people notice it, and so that notifications show up better. Or something like that.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Google+: It's the facebook you have when you really don't want to facebook.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

LSN

Postby LSN » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:09 am UTC

Heard about Google+ from some link dumping site today and didn't think too much of it. But the alt-text here really gets me interested in it.

doggitydogs

Postby doggitydogs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 am UTC

Unknownlight wrote:

G+ is going up there. It's black so that people notice it, and so that notifications show up better. Or something like that.

I still don't understand that design decision...and I'm usually very open-minded about these things.
The weird thing is that, traditionally, Google just puts a little speech-bubble on whatever the new thing is they want you to notice. For example, when "My Maps" was converted into "My Places" on Google Maps (which was redesigned along with the rest of Google today), there was a little thought bubble about it pointing to the link in the Maps sidebar.
The great thing about a speech bubble is that you can just close it. With this ugly black bar (which is just a negative-color version of the white bar), you're stuck with it, even once you've acknowledged it.
Will someone please create a GreaseMonkey script that either converts the rest of the Google pages to the negative-color scheme, or that changes it back to the old white bar that actually looked nice?
What I find scariest about the whole ordeal is that someone likely got paid approximately $450 just for changing that bar from white to black. :shock:

Shiyiya

Postby Shiyiya » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:31 am UTC

doggitydogs wrote:
Unknownlight wrote:

I still don't understand that design decision...and I'm usually very open-minded about these things.
The weird thing is that, traditionally, Google just puts a little speech-bubble on whatever the new thing is they want you to notice. For example, when "My Maps" was converted into "My Places" on Google Maps (which was redesigned along with the rest of Google today), there was a little thought bubble about it pointing to the link in the Maps sidebar.
The great thing about a speech bubble is that you can just close it. With this ugly black bar (which is just a negative-color version of the white bar), you're stuck with it, even once you've acknowledged it.
Will someone please create a GreaseMonkey script that either converts the rest of the Google pages to the negative-color scheme, or that changes it back to the old white bar that actually looked nice?
What I find scariest about the whole ordeal is that someone likely got paid approximately $450 just for changing that bar from white to black. :shock:

It breaks up the whole normal minimalist look of their pages! And is really distracting. Do not like. If the rest of the page is basically white with blue text (google reader), a giant black blob at the top is like a black hole for my eyes x.x

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:34 am UTC

I hate facebook on principle.

But google? They're even worse with people's private information.

Someone make an alternative! A better one!
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:39 am UTC

Ideas sleep furiously. wrote:I hate facebook on principle.

How is google worse? I know some people complain about google's privacy policies, but I've never seen any good arguments for complaints. Sure they make the occasional mistake, but they always quickly own up to it, and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again in the future. That's more than most companies. Yeah, they want to know a lot about you, obviously, that's how they make their profit. But I've never seen any reason to believe they use this data for evil purposes.

And making a better facebook is not easy. You really need to launch a superior product to get people to switch. Not many companies have the skills and resources to pull that off.

The only social networking site that is superior in every possible way that I know is fetlife. But that's clearly a niche market. But their site runs so smoothly and is so well designed it's just awesome.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:43 am UTC

Shiyiya wrote:It breaks up the whole normal minimalist look of their pages! And is really distracting. Do not like. If the rest of the page is basically white with blue text (google reader), a giant black blob at the top is like a black hole for my eyes x.x

Indeed. I suspect it's to do with smartphone/tablet use.

As to privacy, indeed I'm not sure I trust Google any further than Facebook.

On the other hand, I signed up to get news of Diaspora in the very very early days. They're so keen on privacy I've never ever received an update since...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:56 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Ideas sleep furiously. wrote:I hate facebook on principle.

How is google worse? I know some people complain about google's privacy policies, but I've never seen any good arguments for complaints. Sure they make the occasional mistake, but they always quickly own up to it, and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again in the future. That's more than most companies. Yeah, they want to know a lot about you, obviously, that's how they make their profit. But I've never seen any reason to believe they use this data for evil purposes.

And making a better facebook is not easy. You really need to launch a superior product to get people to switch. Not many companies have the skills and resources to pull that off.

The only social networking site that is superior in every possible way that I know is fetlife. But that's clearly a niche market. But their site runs so smoothly and is so well designed it's just awesome.

This page about sums it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:15 am UTC

Ideas sleep furiously. wrote:
Diadem wrote:How is google worse? I know some people complain about google's privacy policies, but I've never seen any good arguments for complaints. Sure they make the occasional mistake, but they always quickly own up to it, and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again in the future. That's more than most companies. Yeah, they want to know a lot about you, obviously, that's how they make their profit. But I've never seen any reason to believe they use this data for evil purposes.

This page about sums it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google

The "Privacy" section of that article seems to be mostly about either how long they keep data (even though it's anonymous and not even made public), or cases where the government tried to force them to hand over users' data.

See this for comparison.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:16 am UTC

I'd rather end the damned auto-complete-search they no longer give the option of turning off. :|
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:22 am UTC

So how much does Randall charge for this kind of product placement? :D

Shiyiya

Postby Shiyiya » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:26 am UTC

rpgamer wrote:

I'd rather end the damned auto-complete-search they no longer give the option of turning off. :|

Do you mean the dropdown suggestions box, or Google Instant? Because you can turn off Instant. I don't use it.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:36 am UTC

Shiyiya wrote:Do you mean the dropdown suggestions box, or Google Instant? Because you can turn off Instant. I don't use it.
I'm guessing they mean the former. I have the latter turned off too.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:56 am UTC

This!

Also, maybe I will look into this Google+ thing when it's out. I deactivated my Facebook account some months ago. Over privacy issues. Hell, I had every setting set to friends only. Then I click a thumbs up on some summary for some book. Some weeks later I happen to look at my profile while logged out from Facebook and it says I recommend this book?!?!

Further beef with Facebook: When you view websites with thumbs up buttons, even if you don't press them, Facebook collects the information that you visited the page, if you did not log out from Facebook last you used it. If you did log out, it tracks it anyway with the IP address apparently and if you log in later, it still matches this information (just not with 100% certainty, as you could be in a public location where other people use Facebook through the same IP address).

Google+ will most likely do the same. But they do that already at least through those tools that help Webmasters track where their traffic comes from and possibly also through Google ads.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:02 am UTC

Harold wrote:
joee wrote: Should be interesting to see how it works when more people are on it

Why would anyone want to move, if their content is already on Facebook? Google+ offers no benefit to the end user, at least compared with the effort involved moving platforms.

It means people like me, who do not have a facebook account, can get an account else where, with the features of facebook, without it being facebook. The comic basically. :D
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

userxp

Postby userxp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 am UTC

Yet another market soon to be dominated by Google.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”