0926: "Time Vulture"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Afrael

Re: 0926: "Time Vulture"

Postby Afrael » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

What if a Time Vulture locks on time itself?

TaylorP

Postby TaylorP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

But would a time vulture do that? Time doesn't die.

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

TaylorP wrote:But would a time vulture do that? Time doesn't die.

I dunno. I've been killing some time for a while now on these forums...
double epsilon = -.0000001;

TaylorP

Postby TaylorP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

Well played. :)

TheWhiteDeath

Postby TheWhiteDeath » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Is anyone else not going to sleep tonight?
A French prisoner was to be guillotined, but the man reading the charges though he was nobility and added a "de" to his name. He replied, "Je ne suis pas ici pour qu'on m'allonge, mais qu'on me raccourcisse."

SteveW

Postby SteveW » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

This reminds me of one of my favorite Pratchett bits, from Carpe Jugulum. The bit where Granny is in trouble and asks Death if she's dying. Death says that she is. Granny then points out that to him everybody is dying, so that wasn't all that helpful.

Death tells her "I'M SORRY, I THOUGHT YOU WANTED THE TRUTH. PERHAPS YOU WERE EXPECTING JELLY AND ICE CREAM?"

Bratmon

Postby Bratmon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

My enjoyment of this comic was hampered by the fact that the vulture would have to expend as much enegry as any other kind of bird to keep flying, thus making it impossible.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

The vulture kinda looks like the Crack in Time. (...Is there a name for that?)

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

existentialpanda wrote:The vulture kinda looks like the Crack in Time. (...Is there a name for that?)

Crack, fissure, portal, tear, rip, gateway, wormhole, doorway, well, singularity, vortex, loop, paradox, hole, link, path, tunnel, time-travel sucky thingy ...

Some of those may be misnomers, so your mission is to travel through one of the others, go back in time and prevent me from typing them in the first place.
Good luck, and please mind the gap.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

Graucsh

Postby Graucsh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Brian-M wrote:
nmp303 wrote:
s0merand0mdude wrote:Sorry that this is irrelevant, but what happened to the forum link on the main site?

"we know about this, we know why this, and it will be taken care of"
Not very specific IMO but at least someone is working on it.

There has been speculation that it was deliberately removed to prevent a flood of condolences being posted on the forum in response to Randall's "blag" about his girlfriend being diagnosed with cancer.

I have no idea whether or not there's any truth to it. (To the bit about it being deliberately removed, I mean, not the bit about the cancer diagnosis.)

As I understand the discussion on the issues forum, there was a rendering problem with the CSS that was causing the "About" link to pushed out of the region on some browsers. Since it's more important for newcomers to be able to get to the "About" page than to the forums, the "Forums" link was removed so everything below it would slide up.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

Bankinus wrote:
TaylorP wrote:What happens if one Time Vulture has another Time Vulture waiting on it? :shock:

Also hello.

The real question is what happens, when the lock on each other.
Probably they both slow down so hard that both just freeze midair.

Didn't that happen (in a very different situation) at the end of Orson Scott Card's Treason?

existentialpanda wrote:The vulture kinda looks like the Crack in Time. (...Is there a name for that?)

As long as we're not looking at the Plumber of Time.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

So long as Time Vultures don't crap on my head/car/Doctor Who fan-fic, I'm cool with them.

xX17GHDUDE17Xx

Postby xX17GHDUDE17Xx » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Grrrr I spent the greater part of this school year staying up as long as I could until I nearly collapsed asleep, because every time I'd lay down the same "holy crap you're going to die and you're wasting what time you have sleeping" thought would pop into my head. I finally managed to push it out a month or two ago, and then Randall goes and pulls this crap :( What a jerk!
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" -Ghandi

Wrong. All that does is eliminate humanity's depth perception.

dexeron

Postby dexeron » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Radical Pi wrote:Please tell me there was someone else who's only thought while reading this comic was this

That was my first thought. A time vulture is just the kind of hide-behind-the-couch insanity Moffat would come up with.
By and by, when the sidewalks are safe for the little guy...

cephron

Postby cephron » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

Even if it somehow managed to stay aloft, any amount of ambient light would do the thing in. The time dilation would blueshift it all into gamma rays.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:No, not the Weeping Angels, the Reapers from 'Father's Day'. They are more like time vultures.
That was my first thought as well.

Kibbles0515

Postby Kibbles0515 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

I don't get it.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Okay, Randall.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Ah, welcome back! I was starting to think we had lost you forever.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

clanders

Postby clanders » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Wow that was so deep. Randall Monroe, boldly exploring thoughts of death and time relativity, going where no man has gone before.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

If you're having geriatric problems, I feel bad for you son;
I got 99 problems but a Time Vulture ain't one.

SpringLoaded12 wrote:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Ah, welcome back! I was starting to think we had lost you forever.

No worries.

He thought Randall had hidden the forum link to just him. ;-)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 am UTC

I like the time vulture idea. I think I'd kinda like my body to be eaten by a time vulture after death if they were real. I just like the idea of a creature that just waits for people to die, and cleans up the remains -- no need to kill anything, no need for anyone to die prematurely in a desert: just evolve so that you have superpowers allowing you to live off of remains dead of old age, so no one needs to be harmed by your existence. :)

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:29 am UTC

Idhan wrote:I like the time vulture idea. I think I'd kinda like my body to be eaten by a time vulture after death if they were real. I just like the idea of a creature that just waits for people to die, and cleans up the remains -- no need to kill anything, no need for anyone to die prematurely in a desert: just evolve so that you have superpowers allowing you to live off of remains dead of old age, so no one needs to be harmed by your existence. :)

Question is, how long does it take to eat? If its travels through time at a slower, but constant rate, then it could be that the time vulture is just another supernatural explanation for plain, old, boring nature.
Time vulture is the logical equivalent of decomposition.
What other natural processes could use a supernatural-creature for more up to date "explanations"?

Singularity Stork: I'm not sure how "the bees" fit into her story, but there's plenty of talk about the Big Bang.
Gravity Whale: Floats about just relaxing in the stratosphere or drifting across the horizon. Most people forget about him until they lose their footing, or drop something, then he does a belly flop.
Molar mouse: He's a little farmer that grows teeth in the mouths of babes by using his control over the dimension of volume.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

Maximus_Light

Postby Maximus_Light » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:44 am UTC

Radical Pi wrote:Please tell me there was someone else who's only thought while reading this comic was this

I was just about to say this actually:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Weeping_Angel

"Just remember, whatever you do, don't blink!"

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:39 am UTC

Scary! Very scary.

People seem to be the only animal that fuss about death the way we do.
Everybody dies. We know this. That does not make it easy.

I read a great deal about the subject while at University. One of my instructors was so kind. She knew that I have a tendency to be somber. She gave me a stack of books on the subject and told me, "Do This Reading While The Sun Is Shining."
I did. Elisabeth Kubler Ross and Victor Frankle were in that stack.

Where I live the vultures come back in the spring. They are a beautiful large bird. They ride the warm air in circles called kettling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettle_%28birds%29

Vultures are also woven into our collective ideas about death.
What are our collective ideas about death?
The years are pulled away by the Time Vulture? So sad. So true. Maybe.

Is it a number? Some people say it is a number. What number is it?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:16 am UTC

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Found the forum again?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:28 am UTC

Time to kill.
/alphas
/notreallyrelevant
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

*whose.
"who's" = "who is"
Sorry, it's instinctive for me.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Armence

Postby Armence » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

TaylorP wrote:What happens if one Time Vulture has another Time Vulture waiting on it? :shock:

Also hello.

They deadlock.

adaviel

Postby adaviel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Prescience would be a useful psychic trait in a vulture - it could just go straight to an animal about to die, without all the energetically wasteful hanging around. Or maybe a time-travelling prescient vulture - it would just appear out of nowhere in the time between death and someone noticing, take a few bites and move on.

For those interested in the whole time-slowing-down thing, Charles Sheffield did a weird sci-fi book titled "Between the Strokes of Night", complete with synthetic food that didn't turn to mould on your fork before you had a chance to eat it.

And then again http://scottq.typepad.com/.a/6a00e0098b2191883300e554f4b02b8833-pi

Shadow of Light

Postby Shadow of Light » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

Maximus_Light wrote:I was just about to say this actually:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Weeping_Angel

"Just remember, whatever you do, don't blink!"

. . .and, in turn, your quote reminded me of the song Blink by Chameleon Circuit! (New users can't post links? Yay. . .)

Seriously though. All us fans of Doctor Who better hope Russel T. Davies doesn't read this comic.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

This is very Doctor Who/Hitchhiker's.

The forum link is gone. I guess that we're no longer the official forums. Or maybe the sysadmin just got tired of spam.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

alexriehl wrote:This is very Doctor Who/Hitchhiker's.

The forum link is gone. I guess that we're no longer the official forums. Or maybe the sysadmin just got tired of spam.

See here: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72490
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Protomith

Postby Protomith » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

When a time vulture locks on to a time vulture, what happens is the same as when two weeping angels see each other.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:

*whose.
"who's" = "who is"
Sorry, it's instinctive for me.

*itse.
"it's" = "it is"
... oh wait, you got that right.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:48 am UTC

The more I think about the concept of time vultures, the more I realize it doesn't really make any sense. By the time you're dead, you'll have moved from whatever spot they found you. Unless they plan on following you around for the rest of your life, which I imagine would be pretty hard to do while the world is in fast-forward.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:50 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
alexriehl wrote:This is very Doctor Who/Hitchhiker's.

See here: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72490

Ah, all right.

My comment about it being like Hitchhiker's: Remember the Guide 2.0? ( From the 3rd book ) It was basically a computer-based time vulture with unfiltered perception and omnipotence. :D

Edited to add: It might have been the fourth book. I haven't read them in a while.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:29 am UTC

alexriehl wrote:My comment about it being like Hitchhiker's: Remember the Guide 2.0? ( From the 3rd book ) It was basically a computer-based time vulture with unfiltered perception and omnipotence. :D

Edited to add: It might have been the fourth book. I haven't read them in a while.

I see your point. Also, it was the 5th book (Mostly Harmless, aka Everyone Dies or Doesn't Depending on Which Version You've Got, aka the one DNA wrote when he was really depressed).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Essence

Postby Essence » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Dunno how much it matters to Randall, but his drawing was filched:

http://elementscommunity.com/forum/index.php/topic,28836.0.html

Personally, I like time flies. :)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:39 am UTC

Essence wrote:Dunno how much it matters to Randall, but his drawing was filched:

http://elementscommunity.com/forum/index.php/topic,28836.0.html

Personally, I like time flies. :)

xkcd is released under cc-by-nc, so as long as they attribute the source (which they have), and it isn't commercial (it doesn't appear to be) then it's all good.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Sir_Read-a-Lot

Postby Sir_Read-a-Lot » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:53 am UTC

What happens when a time vulture locks onto Schrödinger's cat?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”