0286: "All Your Base"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Palmer Eldritch

Postby Palmer Eldritch » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 am UTC

unbrokencircle wrote:
TigerX wrote:
jinzougen wrote:
Doozer wrote:The year in the game is actually 2101, not 2021.

You're very right. I remembered wrong. I now join the group that doesn't understand the irony of 2021.

Well... Maybe we can find some with the help of wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021

Lmfao, on that article it has this tag:
This article or section contains information about scheduled or expected future events.
It may contain tentative information; the content may change as the event approaches and more information becomes available.

NO SHIT, IT'S IN THE FUTURE

I think those boxes can potentially be the funniest thing on Wikipedia:
3rd millennium

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:27 am UTC

KingAl wrote:
Ketsuban wrote:Once more, in big red text this time for easy-reading purposes.

TheTankengine wrote:That means once it fades out of pop culture (becomes "uncool"), it will then return again (become "cool") in 2021. Like the stuff in the 80s has been returning to pop culture lately.

Its retro-return-date is when it will return, and be retro-cool.

Stuff goes from cool to uncool to retro-cool over a twenty-year cycle.

I think people are pretty clear on what it means. The question is "what makes it ironic"? I see no irony in things moving "from cool to uncool to retro-cool over a twenty-year cycle", unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible, indeed likely). Incidentally, it wouldn't really be 'ironic' if it became popular again in 2101 AD, if you want to nitpick. It'd be 'appropriate', more than anything. Even 'coincidental' is a bit of a stretch, because it'd most likely become cool because of the connection.

Perhaps Randall thought the time of the game was 2021. Thus the events would actually happen (well, you know what I mean), AND it would be retro-cool simultaneously. Now that is pretty ironic.

Anyone else have a better explanation?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:14 pm UTC

the alt text is made of win and lols.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:02 pm UTC

You can find the game and emulators for the game rather easily in the intertubes. Hint: there's a sega version.

I'd post links but I don't have them to hand and don't want xkcd being shut down over copyright infringement.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 pm UTC

I think All Your Base was my first Meme too...or the first really hyped one. I saw hamster and J e s u s dance on my roomates computer Freshman year, but she was crazy. I MAY Have seen Summoner Geeks (originally Dr. Demento - roll to see if I'm getting drunk! If there are girls there, I want to DOOO them!) before All Your Base. They were close.

I didn't know Mountain Dew EXISTED in the time of Dr. Demento.

-"The tax man's taken all my dough, and left me in my stately home."
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:32 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:I didn't know Mountain Dew EXISTED in the time of Dr. Demento.

Yep. It's been around for 60 years come next year.[Citation Needed.]

Wikipedia wrote:It was invented in Marion, Virginia and first marketed in Knoxville, Tennessee in 1948, then by the Minges family in Fayetteville, North Carolina and across the United States in 1964.

I don't drink the stuff much myself anymore. I used to drink close to 2 liters a day when I worked second shift at a warehouse for Stanley Tools.
PRG

An important message for you:

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

thebeanie wrote:
Aglet wrote:Whoo! Randall uses GNOME too! Unless there's some other esoteric desktop environment that uses GNOME Terminal.

Huzzah! Another fellow GNOME person! Although since I use Ubuntu, I've got a mixed bag of KDE and GNOME stuff. But my main desktop enviro is GNOME, and it rocks.

Also, the terminal prompt is incorrect. It should be
randall@randallscomputer:~$
Unless he's customized the prompt.

I have no idea why the ayb directory is in / instead of /usr/randall. Who knows?

From the Window Management thread, Randall uses Ion3. And the prompt has been customized somewhat, it appears.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

entropomorphic

Postby entropomorphic » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

Jach wrote:Why's the folder in the root of the system and not in a suitable home directory? :?

I dunno, I thought that was the funniest part of the comic. That he is giving equal importance to his flash video memes as /etc/ or /dev/

I remember that meme well, since it made landfall in the PlanetTribes forums and I was a rabid Tribes player back in the day. I wonder what the zero hour for Hyakugojyuuichi or Xiao Xiao will be?

As for the 2021/2101 thing, I think Randall is referring to the 20-year cycle of hipness, the way disco made a little comeback in the mid-90's, and the way cheezy 80's movies are just starting to become entertaining again. It has to do with things that 20-somethings (the dictators of all that is hip) reminisce about in their childhoods. Internet memes, however, I would imagine to have a much tighter cycle. I would guess that very few people will remember AYB in 2021.

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:44 pm UTC

Patashu wrote:Out of curiousity, has anyone here actually played Zero Wing?

Is it any good?

It's a side-scrolling shooter, which is usually hard to mess up, but Zero Wing is really, really hard.

On the memes I've been around for:

* Dancing Baby: Maybe funny once
* Zero Wing: Fun while it lasted, but gets old quick
* Leeroy Jenkins: Instant classic. I always yell "LEEEROY" just before doing something I know is foolhardy.
* Bruce Schneier: Never liked this one
* Snakes on a Plane: So silly it's brilliant
* lolcats: First bunch were funny, but the latest batch tend to be uninspired

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

entropomorphic wrote:I would guess that very few people will remember AYB in 2021.

HOLD YOUR TONGUE! You shall never underestimate the power of an internet meme. The god of /b/ can resurrect any MEME he wishes and banish any meme he wishes.

and actually, I have seen a number of lolcatz that involve AYB. Double internet meme score. So its nto completely dead yet.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:00 pm UTC

thebeanie wrote:
Aglet wrote:Whoo! Randall uses GNOME too! Unless there's some other esoteric desktop environment that uses GNOME Terminal.

Huzzah! Another fellow GNOME person! Although since I use Ubuntu, I've got a mixed bag of KDE and GNOME stuff. But my main desktop enviro is GNOME, and it rocks.

Also, the terminal prompt is incorrect. It should be
randall@randallscomputer:~$
Unless he's customized the prompt.

I have no idea why the ayb directory is in / instead of /usr/randall. Who knows?

Yes, it is clearly incorrect. No one in the history of Unix has ever customized their prompt to read "~/$".
It makes sense on a single/primary user system. That way you don't have "randall@randallscomputer:" taking up precious space. All you need to tell what user is logged in is $ or #.

Unix convention says that /ayb should probably be in ~/ayb, but if it is that important to the guy, I could see creating a directory under / for it to reside. But I see no reason for it to be in /usr, that's for system resources, not user's files ("usr" stands for Unix System Resources, it is not short for "user").
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Leliel

Postby Leliel » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:02 pm UTC

I tend to agree with the character - the AYB video is one of the few that still makes me chuckle.

Admittedly, my introduction to the AYB meme was my roommate running the video on repeat in the senior design lab at 3am. When it's 3am and you're STILL in the lab, *everything* is funny.

@frezik: Leeroy Jenkins = funny once on the video. Not funny on UBRS runs, especially not the 30th time. Seriously, if there was ever a meme that didn't die quick enough it was Leeroy.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

Of course, some memes are constantly good.

Like pirates. Pirates will always be cool.

In response to people wondering what's so special about 2021 - NOTHING. He clearly just picked a random year. Just cause it's xkcd it doesn't mean every number has to mean something epic.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:In response to people wondering what's so special about 2021 - NOTHING. He clearly just picked a random year. Just cause it's xkcd it doesn't mean every number has to mean something epic.

The alt text says "Ironically... 2021...". This implies there is something ironic about the date 2021. Thus, he clearly did not just pick a random year. Simple logic, no?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

jinzougen

Postby jinzougen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:"usr" stands for Unix System Resources, it is not short for "user".

Whoa. Of this I actually had no idea. And I use FreeBSD every day. Maybe you can answer me one more question, while we're on the topic. So /usr/local is a place that makes sense to put most user-installed binaries (the binaries there are local to this system). But what exactly are the criteria by which other system binaries are chosen to reside in /bin, /usr/bin, or /sbin ? "sbin" I always assumed was short for "system binaries". But you find programs like "ls" and "pwd" in /bin (on my FBSD system). "ls" sure seems like a system binary to me.
Once bread becomes toast, it can never be bread again.

jsnipe

Postby jsnipe » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:09 pm UTC

replies have been edited for content and formatted to fit the alloted window size. :o

Ketsuban wrote:
Blasterfire wrote:Blah 2101
mwn3d wrote:blah 2101?
Aero wrote:blah irony
mwn3d wrote:blah 2021
jinzougen wrote:blah 2021.
TheKhakinator wrote:blah 2021

Blah blah 20yr retro-hip cycle

Once more, in big red text this time for easy-reading purposes.

TheTankengine wrote:blah poor ratio of nonsequitor / esoteric errata for a decent answer:

Its retro-return-date is when it will return, and be retro-cool.

Stuff goes from cool to uncool to retro-cool over a twenty-year cycle.

Here is a simple solution: 2021 was a mistranslation of 2101, thus fulfilling the requirements of correctness and irony.

happy now?
Bite me. Better yet; hold still.

circumlocuted

Postby circumlocuted » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:14 pm UTC

jinzougen wrote:
TheTankengine wrote:"usr" stands for Unix System Resources, it is not short for "user".

Whoa. Of this I actually had no idea. And I use FreeBSD every day. Maybe you can answer me one more question, while we're on the topic. So /usr/local is a place that makes sense to put most user-installed binaries (the binaries there are local to this system). But what exactly are the criteria by which other system binaries are chosen to reside in /bin, /usr/bin, or /sbin ? "sbin" I always assumed was short for "system binaries". But you find programs like "ls" and "pwd" in /bin (on my FBSD system). "ls" sure seems like a system binary to me.

You should check out the FreeBSD handbook, they explain exactly what each directory of the filesystem does.

Kadmon

Postby Kadmon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:14 pm UTC

If one needs to see a sign of the imminent return, one needs look only as far as this :)

http://tinyurl.com/26pbak

Someone set us up the bomb!

EDIT: Just noticed that that link was over 150 characters long, and broke the margins. My bad :p
Last edited by Kadmon on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

jinzougen wrote:

I'm not sure if the following is 100% correct (probably not), but this is what I know about the separations. Supposedly, /bin will contain the essential/standard unix binaries (ls, cd, vi, etc.) and /usr/bin will contain all other binaries to be accessed by users. Basically, /bin is for only essential commands and has strict convention on what can be placed inside /bin. sbin was originally intended for statically linked binaries, but it has evolved for binaries that only the system admin uses (as in, normal users are not *supposed* to use them). I guess the reasoning behind the /bin;/usr/bin difference is due to the ease/convention of having different directories on separate partitions (I only have /home and /, but I've seen some people with /home, /etc, /usr and / ). When you boot into single-user mode for diagnostics or whatever, you don't have /usr mounted, but you still have all the essential binaries in /bin.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by TheTankengine on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

julesh

Postby julesh » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

/sbin (and /usr/sbin if you have it) are for system administration binaries... basically only root should have the sbin directories on its path.

/bin is for essential programs that are part of the core system: the shell, the most common shell utilities, system programs that are necessary for operation of the system like 'login' and so on. The idea is that you can put /usr on a different file system, and boot up a working (although not particularly useful) system without it.

julesh

Postby julesh » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

Whoah! Fast moving thread. Beaten to the punch by _two_ people. :)

Annirak

Postby Annirak » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:But I see no reason for it to be in /usr, that's for system resources, not user's files ("usr" stands for Unix System Resources, it is not short for "user").

Wikipedia disagrees with you and so do I.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usr
You're close though. It really is just for user. Because of the gradually changing structure of the unix filesystem architecture, the term "User System Resources" has become appropriate, but the original meaning was "user"
http://www.openaddict.com/documents/Lin ... y/usr.html
/usr usually contains by far the largest share of data on a system. Hence, this is one of the most important directories in the system as it contains all the user binaries, their documentation, libraries, header files, etc.... X and its supporting libraries can be found here. User programs like telnet, ftp, etc.... are also placed here. In the original Unix implementations, /usr was where the home directories of the users were placed (that is to say, /usr/someone was then the directory now known as /home/someone). In current Unices, /usr is where user-land programs and data (as opposed to 'system land' programs and data) are. The name hasn't changed, but it's meaning has narrowed and lengthened from "everything user related" to "user usable programs and data". As such, some people may now refer to this directory as meaning 'User System Resources' and not 'user' as was originally intended.

pfargtl

Postby pfargtl » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

TigerX wrote:
Aero wrote:I don't get the irony either. Even in the Alanis Morisette sense.

I always thought that point of the song was that it wasn't ironic, which would make its title, of course, ironic.

Alanis Morissette is not that clever.
What the Pfargtl?

niteice

Postby niteice » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:19 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:I'm not sure if the following is 100% correct (probably not), but this is what I know about the separations. Supposedly, /bin will contain the essential/standard unix binaries (ls, cd, vi, etc.) and /usr/bin will contain all other binaries to be accessed by users. Basically, /bin is for only essential commands and has strict convention on what can be placed inside /bin. sbin was originally intended for statically linked binaries, but it has evolved for binaries that only the system admin uses (as in, normal users are not *supposed* to use them). I guess the reasoning behind the /bin;/usr/bin difference is due to the ease/convention of having different directories on separate partitions (I only have /home and /, but I've seen some people with /home, /etc, /usr and / ). When you boot into single-user mode for diagnostics or whatever, you don't have /usr mounted, but you still have all the essential binaries in /bin.

Hope that helps.

Why would you put /etc on a separate partition? fstab resides there, and without that, you can't automount at boot time...heck even rc lives there, and you can't boot without that! Perhaps you meant /var?

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

why doesn't anyone read man pages anymore?

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

niteice wrote:Why would you put /etc on a separate partition? fstab resides there, and without that, you can't automount at boot time...heck even rc lives there, and you can't boot without that! Perhaps you meant /var?

Yes! Sorry, I meant /var not /etc. That probably wouldn't work out so well.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Arancaytar

Re: "All Your Base" Discussion

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

jamessw wrote:
niteice wrote:Who's ready for the return of C h u c k N o r r i s jokes?

(edit: hmm, seems it's filtered...)

Norris is so awesome he'll never fade out of the being cool on the internet cycle. Norris dictates what's cool online.

"Bruce Schneier doesn't go out of fashion. Fashion goes out of Bruce Schneier."?

Edit: With or without filter, I think the meaning is clear.

Drooling Iguana

Postby Drooling Iguana » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

In Soviet Russia, meme repeats YOU!

Profit!

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Drooling Iguana wrote:In Soviet Russia, meme repeats YOU!

Profit!

Nice move, I see what you did there
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

asliceofpi

Postby asliceofpi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

Personally, I can only hope there is really a file out there by the name ayb_acapella.mp3 .

That would make this comic perfect. =P

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

Patashu wrote:Out of curiousity, has anyone here actually played Zero Wing?

Is it any good?

I have. It's a space shooter, like the Gradius games. It's okay, not fantastic. Basically a stripped-down version of Gradius.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:15 pm UTC

asliceofpi wrote:Personally, I can only hope there is really a file out there by the name ayb_acapella.mp3 .

There was, but somebody set up it the bomb for great justice.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
asliceofpi wrote:Personally, I can only hope there is really a file out there by the name ayb_acapella.mp3 .

There was, but somebody set up it the bomb for great justice.

You-- The... Wron...

You fail it.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

O I SRY KTHXBYE
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Ozyman

Postby Ozyman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

I remember that meme well, since it made landfall in the PlanetTribes forums and I was a rabid Tribes player back in the day. I wonder what the zero hour for Hyakugojyuuichi or Xiao Xiao will be?

Oh god yes, I still LOVE Tribes (all 3 PC incarnations). I think the video originated on tribalwar forums.

Here's a link to the thread on TW about AYB;
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthr ... 539&page=9

I made a simple AYB image back in the day. Never have saved it to my local machine, but I've always been able to find it just by searching google images:

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:16 am UTC

Have all the boys missed the obvious best part of the comic? a female that understands the AYB line - and knows how to use Gnome? Where are these women?!?

mwn3d

Postby mwn3d » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:32 am UTC

Sliver wrote:Have all the boys missed the obvious best part of the comic? a female that understands the AYB line - and knows how to use Gnome? Where are these women?!?

holy crap....youre right.

Jach

Postby Jach » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:18 am UTC

I see nothing wrong with the prompt. =P It's very easy to change in Gentoo, and I'm resisting the urge to leave it like the comic.

export PS1="~/$ "

Yeah hey, I want to know one of those nerdy girls who can move around the shell...
I love reading quotes.

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:31 am UTC

Female.

Never played the game, but I know the line and the source of it.

Running Ubuntu, still a Linux n00b but learning.

So there. :)
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:40 am UTC

tessuraea wrote:Female.

Never played the game, but I know the line and the source of it.

Running Ubuntu, still a Linux n00b but learning.

So there. :)

THEY DO EXIST! <faints>

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”