0960: "Subliminal"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yunghei

Re: 0960: "Subliminal"

Postby yunghei » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

Does anyone else see the spoon on the fedex logo?

Also, Colonel Sanders is sponsored by Adidas.
Last edited by yunghei on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gnoitall

Postby gnoitall » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Get Out of My Infantry Combat Vehicle Design Studio, Randall!

Cuz you're not good at designing armored cars.

But the rest? I have to agree with the punchline: it takes some kind of neurochemical imbalance to convert figure-ground dichotomy to that particular scene.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Red Dog beer logo upside down == Batman in a 69

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

No fan of musicals, I've always liked the Miss Saigon poster, which in a single blob depicts a face, a helicopter, and a Vietnamese letter/character (though I don't know what the last one means).

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 0960 - "Subliminal"

Postby bmonk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

mric wrote:
peterburk wrote:Reminds me of the hidden bear in the Toblerone logo. Which, incidentally, is the Swiss national animal.

Not quite. Switzerland doesn't have a national animal. The bear is the heraldic symbol of the canton of Bern where the Toblerone company is based (and Bern is a form of the german word for bear).

Of course, the Swiss are strange anyway. IIRC, they once fought a war over the gender of the bear in one of their cantonal coats of arms.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
Spoiler:
!lanimilbuS
nac ouy sa gnol sa rof ,lanimilbus eht otni eratS

Okay, so... maybe they are giants.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:Red Dog beer logo upside down == Batman in a 69

i decided to look that up and for a while i wasn't seeing it, and then all of a sudden.... lol,

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR FEDEx..

oh, you mean Willie, not Billy Mays.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

The 'L's are arms and the 'O' is his head. He's drowning. Jump in and save him! ~lol~
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

stardek wrote:
A_of_s_t wrote:It took me forever to figure out it was still supposed to say Fed Ex...

I didn't get it until I read this... Thanks for pointing that out, it definitely adds something to the comic.

What's sad is that this comic doesn't make any sense unless you figure out that it says "Fed Ex". I think it could have been a good joke, it was just poorly executed.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

tagno25 wrote:
Qaanol wrote:
-KF- wrote:I wonder if Randall could explain the USPS logo too. I've never been able to tell what it's supposed to be.

I can’t tell if you’re serious, so I’ll take it at face value. It’s the disembodied head of a raptor. True fact.

I thought it was a Bald Eagle breaking the sound barrier.

That is entirely consistent with my description.
wee free kings

xkre

Postby xkre » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

I still think the Bethesda Game Studios logo is one of the best "can't unsee" logos.
I'd link it but I don't have 5 posts yet.

[google it here]

Also if you can't see it
Spoiler:
THE
GAME

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Reminds me of OGC... can't unsee that one either:
http://blogs.birminghampost.net/business/2008/06/ogc-gave-me-ocd.html

dangit, I even see it in plain text.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Uzh

Postby Uzh » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

madjo wrote:Reminds me of OGC... can't unsee that one either:
http://blogs.birminghampost.net/business/2008/06/ogc-gave-me-ocd.html

dangit, I even see it in plain text.

Plus, you can see it in the actual logo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/Ogc.svg
The serifes even make it more - ahm - interesting.

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385

from canada

Postby from canada » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

oh man randal is such a genius!

DRUGS!!! lolOLoLoLolOlOLOLolOLoLOLol amirite?????

WildBidoof

Postby WildBidoof » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Great now i see that stupid arrow every time.

TheSoberPirate

Postby TheSoberPirate » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

tagno25 wrote:
Qaanol wrote:
-KF- wrote:I wonder if Randall could explain the USPS logo too. I've never been able to tell what it's supposed to be.

I can’t tell if you’re serious, so I’ll take it at face value. It’s the disembodied head of a raptor. True fact.

Ha, I get it. At least one person around here appreciates bird jokes.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Now I can't wait for my next FedEx delivery to show up in an armored assault vehicle. No need to ring the doorbell.

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

The designer, Lindon Leader is interviewed here: http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000273.php

He states at one point, "if you do see the arrow, or someone points it out to you, you won't forget it."

He's wrong, of course. (Or I wouldn't be here mouthing off.) I repeatedly notice it, then promptly forget it. I don't suffer any memory problems. It's just unimportant. Insignificant. Sorry chump. I like the pre-gradient UPS logo better anyway.

In the same way, if someone describes a vulgar act to me, I don't picture it in my mind; yet I'm able from time to time to memorize things photographically. This is great fun at parties, where I'm the one not throwing up. (For bonus points, define "vulgar act".)

What Leader should have said is:

"if I see the arrow, or someone points it out to me, I won't forget it. I imagine you are the same way."

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

The 'L's are arms and the 'O' is his head. He's drowning. Jump in and save him! ~lol~

You need deodorant?

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

muntoo wrote:Arrow is highlighted. Source)

Personally, I didn't find this comic that funny.

More weird logos.

Wow. They really like their design intent obvious, don't they? They'd talk about the old BR logo like it was "brilliant" and "clever"; or they'd completely miss the lousy design of the original BT logo, which actually spells out "DT" in Morse code – i.e. horizontal " – · · " followed by " – " in the vertical.

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:
stardek wrote:
A_of_s_t wrote:It took me forever to figure out it was still supposed to say Fed Ex...

I didn't get it until I read this... Thanks for pointing that out, it definitely adds something to the comic.

What's sad is that this comic doesn't make any sense unless you figure out that it says "Fed Ex". I think it could have been a good joke, it was just poorly executed.

It... it says right in the comic that it's the FedEx logo - Randall already pointed it out for you. If it's sad that it needs to be pointed out again to certain people, I don't think that reflects negatively on the comic at all.

I saw it immediately, since, you know, it mentions that it's the FedEx logo in the comic and all.

stationary

Postby stationary » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 pm UTC

Phaelin wrote:No one else has pointed out the spoon that also exists in the Fed Ex logo? Between the e and d. You know, because of the "fed" part. I love that lesser known part about the logo. :D

I registered just to say that I've been staring at that logo all day, every day, for over 11 years, and never noticed that.
Mind? Blown.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:10 am UTC

Seems the original designer of the FedEx logo isn't fessing up to any mushrooms:

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000273.php
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 am UTC

bigjeff5 wrote:I saw it immediately, since, you know, it mentions that it's the FedEx logo in the comic and all.

He could have said he was going to draw an apple, and then drew an apple the same way, and it still wouldn't have been clear to me. Not everyone can tell that this is supposed to be the FedEx logo:

Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Kaeetayel

Postby Kaeetayel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:35 am UTC

I saw the tank and the arrow when I saw the logo. Nothing else though.

solobutterfly

Postby solobutterfly » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 am UTC

I'll tell you what I can't unsee in the FedEx logo that I didn't notice for years, the fact that the bottom of the e and d do not sit on the same baseline as the rest of the letters.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 am UTC

and the strychnine.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:38 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:and the strychnine.

Added to “List of quotes that are applicable to every situation.”
wee free kings

yjester

Postby yjester » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:46 am UTC

I didn't like this comic specially, too overthought. Still, the theme is nice!

Xilinx, an FPGA manufacturer.
Spoiler:
At my research group, some people only saw the capital Sigma, and others only saw the protruded X. I didn't remember it had two colors, that makes it easier...

CPTM, train company of São Paulo's old logo.
Spoiler:
There's a double-headed arrow. Took me a decade to find out. Their new logo is weaker:

Spoiler:
Chico Xavier, famous Brazilian spiritism-whatever. That's so obvious it was hard to find an image at Google's search that didn't pointed it out!
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

InDirectX4000

Postby InDirectX4000 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:51 am UTC

Nobody else notices the Anonymous reference...?

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:53 am UTC

Aelfyre wrote:
muntoo wrote:Arrow is highlighted. Source)

Personally, I didn't find this comic that funny.

More weird logos.

oh.. *that's* wtf they are talking about.. christ that's so obvious I automatically discounted it and was looking for an arrow somewhere.. that is *so* not hidden :D

Was thinking this myself. That arrow hardly seems subliminal.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

arthurd006_5

Re: The power of XKCD (or maybe not)

Postby arthurd006_5 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:12 am UTC

RogerB wrote:I don't know if this strip has caused this or not (probably not) but if you go to Google Image search and search for "tostitos logo" guess what the fourth result is
- Roger

Be aware of the filter bubble. Different people see different things, depending on what they've looked at in the past.

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:29 am UTC

tagno25 wrote:
Qaanol wrote:

That has so got to exceed VNE.

westrim

Postby westrim » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:30 am UTC

In this forum thread, people assuming that their experience seeing/not seeing images in logos is the most legitimate one and anyone that doesn't conform is feeble minded/ on shrooms. One is noted below, but if I tried responding to all of them I'd be here an hour.

As for the comic, it was innovative. The first e took me a while, since it was tilted, but the rest I managed to reconfigure my brain for on the second or third pass. I wonder if I could Google it properly that I'd find any reference to those images being seen in a FedEx logo before, but I imagine Randall was looking at the logo and thought "hey the arrow. I wonder what else I can morph it into?" I caught that it was FedEx before looking at the alt/title text, from the color combo.

cream wobbly wrote:He states at one point, "if you do see the arrow, or someone points it out to you, you won't forget it."

He's wrong, of course. (Or I wouldn't be here mouthing off.) I repeatedly notice it, then promptly forget it. I don't suffer any memory problems. It's just unimportant. Insignificant. Sorry chump. I like the pre-gradient UPS logo better anyway.

What Leader should have said is:

"if I see the arrow, or someone points it out to me, I won't forget it. I imagine you are the same way."

Pedant goes "whaaaa" and cries that not everyone forms a sentence to cover their ass. Accuracy in language isn't an on/off switch and his statement is perfectly valid, even if it's not your personal experience. You're wrong, because you assume it applies only to you- he's mostly right, because his statement applies to everybody.

Also, you can say more than one thing in a post or edit it; posting multiple times back to back is for chumps.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

westrim wrote:Pedant goes "whaaaa" and cries that not everyone forms a sentence to cover their ass. Accuracy in language isn't an on/off switch and his statement is perfectly valid, even if it's not your personal experience. You're wrong, because you assume it applies only to you- he's mostly right, because his statement applies to everybody.

A phenomenon also known as "What do you mean, people are not computers??".

severach

Postby severach » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:28 am UTC

solobutterfly wrote:I'll tell you what I can't unsee in the FedEx logo that I didn't notice for years, the fact that the bottom of the e and d do not sit on the same baseline as the rest of the letters.

Do you see anything else down there?

Kapten-N

Postby Kapten-N » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

fryersoncaptain wrote:First, a tiny nitpick: if that's supposed to be the aactual Guy Fawkes, why is he wearing a Guy Fawkes mask as indicated by the straps along the sides of his face?.

You don't think Guy Fawkes actually looked like that do you? He was wearing a theatre mask when he attempted to blow up the British parliament.

Squall83

Postby Squall83 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

So... is there an arrow in this comic's version of the Fed Ex logo?

Even though I've read better xkcd comics I have to thank the autor for making me curious enough to visit the forum again and read up on a bunch of links posted here.^^

Weertolon

Postby Weertolon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

Squall83 wrote:So... is there an arrow in this comic's version of the Fed Ex logo?

That's a good question - everyone tries to find out that :D
Pocellular - mobile boosters and batteries

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”