0962: "The Corliss Resolution"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ammy55

0962: "The Corliss Resolution"

Postby ammy55 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:52 am UTC

Alt Text: And no avian society ever develops space travel because it's impossible to focus on calculus when you could be outside flying.

is this a real thing?

quadmaster

Re: 0962 "The Corliss Resolution"

Postby quadmaster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:54 am UTC

The wingsuit? Yup.

Also, this comic reminded me of this: Kiwi.

I had almost gotten over the depression from watching that video the first time.
I... I didn't do it.
<- he did it, I swear

Randomness

Re: 0962: "The Corliss Resolution"

Postby Randomness » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:55 am UTC

That is an interesting assumption, that things that CAN fly still dream of flight. Wouldn't they dream of something they couldn't do?

TomRobbins

Postby TomRobbins » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:56 am UTC

For those who don't know who he is talking about with regards to the resolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeb_Corliss.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:11 am UTC

Thank you, but I'm still trying to work out what that horizontal object underneath the flyer in the last panel is and whether it's in the background or he's about to strike it.

Also, that kiwi video is thoroughly depressing. Great start to the week :/

Flying: learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

WizenedEE

Postby WizenedEE » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Thank you, but I'm still trying to work out what that horizontal object underneath the flyer in the last panel is and whether it's in the background or he's about to strike it.

It's the "youtube box" (play, pause, volume, fullscreen, resolution...)

I loved this one.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:30 am UTC

I wanted to argue with the title text (who knows if an alien race wouldn't consider a bipedal, non-flying species to be caught up in doing fun things the aliens couldn't), but then I realized that most of our technological advance has been driven by the fact that our bodies can't do so many cool things. If we could run faster, we might never have invented the wheel. If our brains were perfect calculators, we'd never have started to build computers.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 am UTC

For those of you who are wondering what that guy is doing, and why it is so awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4U6T_BB1N8

Enjoy.

Also, for those of you who know how to embed a YouTube video in a post: LET ME LEARN FROM YOU, SENSEI
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:41 am UTC

An okay comic. I'm sure its more of a niche comic for a groups interested in alien life though, but it dd bring out a chuckle.
Last edited by A_of_s_t on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:42 am UTC

Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

EnigmaticSource

Postby EnigmaticSource » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:53 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

I want this on a shirt. I think I've found my new mantra.

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:05 am UTC

I think his previous resolution to the Fermi paradox, in 893, was more accurate.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 am UTC

What could be more fun than jumping off cliffs and flying like a bird, even if it is only for a minute or two at best?
Must spread my wings and fly.

Oh, wait ... I'm afraid of heights.
Stupid lower order brain stem functions.
Falling out of tree = bad.
Falling off cliff = worse.

Perhaps this is yet another trick of nature to force natural selection.
And, then there was that guy who plowed into a suspension bridge 6 or 7 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvjgvXcxMsU
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

costyn

Postby costyn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 am UTC

The video's that have been posted thusfar about wingsuiting are quite dated, for recent material, check this out: http://vimeo.com/30194013

Other video's on Phoenix-Fly's (a wingsuit manufacturer) channel are worth watching too. 8) :wink:

TomRobbins

Postby TomRobbins » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:47 am UTC

WizenedEE wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Thank you, but I'm still trying to work out what that horizontal object underneath the flyer in the last panel is and whether it's in the background or he's about to strike it.

It's the "youtube box" (play, pause, volume, fullscreen, resolution...)

I loved this one.

Eutychus was basically saying 'no shit' to my comment, just facetiously.

And yea, that Kiwi! video is sad, but awesome, but sad.

daiceman

Postby daiceman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:02 am UTC

Reminds me of season 4 of lexx where they talk about civilizations destroying themselves attempting to figure out the mass of the Higgs boson particle.

thret

Postby thret » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:07 am UTC

Randomness wrote:That is an interesting assumption, that things that CAN fly still dream of flight. Wouldn't they dream of something they couldn't do?

I imagine it's like sex, so much fun that you think about it even when you're not doing it.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 am UTC

If we can make wingsuits, are birdsuits with flappable wings around the corner? :O
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:12 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:If we can make wingsuits, are birdsuits with flappable wings around the corner? :O

Sure, though you'll need a power source stronger than your own muscles if you want to get enough lift to stay in the air for long.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 am UTC

what, you all can't fly?

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:32 am UTC

ammy55 wrote:Alt Text: And no avian society ever develops space travel because it's impossible to focus on calculus when you could be outside flying.

possible Last and First Men reference? in which humanity at one point evolves into bird like creatures and basically stay that way for longer than any other evolution of man simply because the love flying so much, (they are eventually overthrown by mutants that can't fly and are jealous basically)

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 am UTC

As someone who has skydived, paraglided, and gone bungy jumping I approve of this message. Gotta do this wing thing next!

(For the record skydiving is by far the easiest to do as you're strapped to someone and far from the ground, so not much time to get worried about heights. Bungy jumping was my favorite not for the fall but because afterwards you zoom upwards like Superman, but I'm now retired ever since I did the world's largest jump in South Africa and I swear the cord started slipping, thus narrowly averting the fate of this comic.)

jeszjesz

Postby jeszjesz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:54 am UTC

Re: alt text - The Alkari shall rise again!

"My heart is nothing more than an engine forged from the remnants of a dead star" - Kimiko Ross (Dresden Codak - Anagoge Starring Tiny Carl Jung)

icebrain

Postby icebrain » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:51 am UTC

What I like about this comic is that it feels like a Calvin&Hobbes downhill ride.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

The desire to fly makes large space stations more attractive. As soon as we have another launch vehicle, it is time to send up an an inflated module to the space station. Then we need a big dome on the moon.

nicklikesfire

Postby nicklikesfire » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:23 pm UTC

Bird Suits feature in the the third book of the Mars Trilogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy) by Kim Stanley Robinson. Love the books (just finished re-reading them), I wonder if Randal has read them?

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Siged for being awesome :)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

barnacle

Postby barnacle » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

Love this comic! The first time I saw one of the wingsuit base jumping vids from Norway, I became obsessed. I think there is something in our DNA that knows that we are supposed to be able to fly.

skwrl

Postby skwrl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

costyn wrote:Other video's on Phoenix-Fly's (a wingsuit manufacturer) channel are worth watching too. 8) :wink:

Phoenix-Fly? I thought I saw an interview that the suit was made by a guy named Tony something or other... :D

Scott Auld

Postby Scott Auld » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:31 pm UTC

Fun strip on a Monday!

Rzah

Grinding the crack

Postby Rzah » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

If you haven't seen this over the last few weeks, then welcome back from your holiday.

Music will get stuck in your head, but that's a good thing.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Also, for those of you who know how to embed a YouTube video in a post...
...know a fast way to end up on everyone's Foe list and possibly banned.

Simply because just because something can be done, does not mean it needs to be done in every single post. And some of you are stupid enough to do it.

... /just sayin'

skwrl wrote:
costyn wrote:Other video's on Phoenix-Fly's (a wingsuit manufacturer) channel are worth watching too. 8) :wink:

Phoenix-Fly? I thought I saw an interview that the suit was made by a guy named Tony something or other... :D
...Insert a "Can't tell if attempt at humor or just has no idea how business works" meme here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rabidmuskrat

Postby rabidmuskrat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

I'm curious how long then it will be until this activity is created for man, and if it has already been created, why the hell haven't we heard about it?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

..the activity of wingsuits? It's.. been a thing since the 1930s.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

skwrl

Postby skwrl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
skwrl wrote:

Insert a "Can't tell if attempt at humor or just has no idea how business works" meme here.

It was an attempt at humor that really would be recognized as such only by a fellow wingsuiter. :)

In short, there are two major wingsuit manufacturers - Phoenix-Fly and Tonysuits. The brand wars between them are legendary in the skydiving community, full of histrionics, boastful and unsubstantiated claims, and general asshattery on both sides. Jeb (the wingsuiter referenced in Randall's comic) flies a Tonysuit and is a huge proponent of that brand. Costyn (a friend of mine in real life) is a Phoenix-Fly representative in Europe. I was merely attempting to give him grief (in a subtle way) for bringing the wingsuit brand war silliness to a otherwise unspoiled territory (i.e., this forum).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

In that case...

'scuse me, I'm going to be laughing now.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

I seriously can't tell whether the guy on the comic going "WHEEEE!" is in So Bad It's Awful or So Bad It's Good territory.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

It must be tough for all those space aliens cruising around the sky and stars being acrophobic. :mrgreen:

JBridge

Postby JBridge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

There's a fun game out there inspired by BASE jumping if any of you are so inclined. It's called AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity and it's just as fun and silly as the title sounds.

muntoo

Postby muntoo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:56 pm UTC

There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. (Douglas Adams)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; entry RECREATIONAL IMPOSSIBILITIES wrote:The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day.

The first part is easy.

All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt. That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground. Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really tyring properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties. One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It's no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won't. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you're halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground, or about how much it's going to hurt if you fail to miss it.

It is notoriously difficult to prize your attention away from these three things during the split second you have at your disposal. Hence most people's failure, and their eventual disillusionment with this exhilarating and spectacular sport.

If, however, you are lucky enough to have your attention momentarily distracted at the crucial moment by, say, a gorgeous pair of legs (tentacles, pseudopodia, according to phylum and/or person inclination) or a bomb going off in your vicinity, or by suddenly spotting an extremely rare species of beetle crawling along a nearby twig, then in your astonishment you will miss the ground completely and remain bobbing just a few inches above it in what might seem to be a slightly foolish manner.

This is the moment for superb and delicate concentration.

Bob and float, float and bob. Ignore all considerations of your own weight and simply let yourself waft higher.

Do not listen to what anybody says to you at this point because they are unlikely to say anything helpful. They are most likely to say something along the lines of "Good god, you can't possibly be flying!"

It is vitally important not to believe them or they will suddenly be right. Waft higher and higher. Try a few swoops, gentle ones at first, then drift above the treetops breathing regularly.

DO NOT WAVE AT ANYBODY.

When you have done this a few times you will find the moment of distraction rapidly becomes easier and easier to achieve. You will then learn all sorts of things about how to control your flight, your speed, your maneuverability, and the trick usually lies in not thinking too hard about whatever you want to do, but just allowing it to happen as if it were going to anyway.

You will also learn about how to land properly, which is something you will almost certainly screw up, and screw up badly, on your first attempt.

There are private flying clubs you can join which help you achieve the all-important moment of distraction. They hire people with surprising bodies or opinions to leap out from behind bushes and exhibit and/or explain them at the critical moments. Few genuine hitchhikers will be able to afford to join these clubs, but some may be able to get temporary employment at them.

Excerpt from Life, The Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams. Compilation Edition The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide, Wings Books, Random House, 1994.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”