0964: "Dorm Poster"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SirMustapha

Re: 0964: "Dorm Poster"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

Okay, I'm going to bite. What exactly is stick-Randall's "fix" in the poster? 1) the "lens" that converges the light back in the second poster, or; 2) the whole second poster?

If it's 1), then it's basically a lame "haha I win Physics" joke, since the Dark Side of the Moon artwork never intended to be anything more than a piece of art.

If it's 2), however, then, well, Randall merely drew the original back cover of the cover, only with that stupid lens included!! In fact, the "cyclical" nature of the cover and back cover of the album reflects the "cyclical" nature of the album itself.

Really, does Randall have no fear at all of coming across as completely ignorant and unwilling to do just a little bit of research? What, next thing we know, Randall will show he actually thinks that Pink Floyd is a guy?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:20 pm UTC

The Dark Side of the Moon poster was one of the first posters I ever purchased, having no idea what it actually was.

I don't much care for the album at all, actually.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

Lode wrote:"Fixed that for you"?

I don't see anything wrong with physics in the original poster. It would have been funny if the original poster had some physics mistake and the second fixed it, but I don't think this is the case...

I dont think they were referring to a "mistake" of any kind.. I think it more of a "whoops looks like you broke your nice neat white light beam there so I put it back together for you" kinda thing :)
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

meticulousDrafstman

Postby meticulousDrafstman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

What I find more interesting is where he got that poster. He left the door open so he couldn't have been gone long. Overly prepared student, or overly prepared poster salesman?

mmrevans

Postby mmrevans » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

Randall draws the lens to converge the light. The back cover of the album is incorrect from a science standpoint due to the fact that the light is diverging as it enters and would not converge as shown into white light (and the front is also incorrect due to dispersion inside the prism).

It is a comic; it is also art. The album cover? Also art.

SirMustapha wrote:If it's 2), however, then, well, Randall merely drew the original back cover of the cover, only with that stupid lens included!! In fact, the "cyclical" nature of the cover and back cover of the album reflects the "cyclical" nature of the album itself.

Really, does Randall have no fear at all of coming across as completely ignorant and unwilling to do just a little bit of research? What, next thing we know, Randall will show he actually thinks that Pink Floyd is a guy?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

hcs wrote:Interestingly enough, this is actually what is on the back cover of some versions of the album, though without the lens. From the Pink Floyd Archives

Well, that's one of the "in" jokes. There are many primary school textbooks that show a similar drawing of light being separated with a prism and recollected with a second prism, and they are ALL WRONG! A lens is required since the spread spectra are noncollinear.

Good show, Mr. Randall.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:What, next thing we know, Randall will show he actually thinks that Pink Floyd is a guy?

Which one's Pink? :)

Of course (as any fan knows), the band took its name from two guys, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. You can hear some of their stuff on YouTube.

dotancohen

Postby dotancohen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

Lode wrote:"Fixed that for you"?

I don't see anything wrong with physics in the original poster. It would have been funny if the original poster had some physics mistake and the second fixed it, but I don't think this is the case...

The light should have started separating into different colours on the first prism face, not the second. Also, the boundaries between the colours should not be definite, and one colour is missing!

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

The alt-text made me quite sad...
Aelfyre wrote:I dont think they were referring to a "mistake" of any kind.. I think it more of a "whoops looks like you broke your nice neat white light beam there so I put it back together for you" kinda thing :)

I'd have to agree with you here. This is the way I interpreted it.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

quantropy wrote:Newton had it right, to recombine the spectrum the second prism needs to be the same way up as the first.
prisms.png

I think that the reason the rainbow has seven colours is due to the mystical properties of the number seven, indigo and violet aren't different enough to deserve two places.

Actually, it's just because noone can pronounce Roy G. Bp

Anyway, the picture in the comic should look something like this:
Yes, I know, the light begins converging before it reaches the lense, and the angles and positions are porbably not exactly right, but I'm at work and could only waste so much time on this.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Pure awesome.

Floyd is win. Going to listen to Meddle now.

ihackedthis1

Postby ihackedthis1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Has anybody else noticed that the roommate is a registered "total douchebag"? At least in the state of California...

TzeraFNX

Postby TzeraFNX » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

When this comic came up on my RSS, the roommate had no glasses. When I look at the site, he does. What's up with that change?

Taladien

Postby Taladien » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Is that a Trogdor figurine on the roomate's desk?

Mr. Timms

Postby Mr. Timms » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

I'm kind of disappointed that he did a memorial comic for Steve Jobs and not for Dennis Ritchie. Now there was an indisputable pioneer.
Decker wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:You'll learn this around here. Everyone's pretty damn blunt.
I am not! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take a huge shit.

Kainboy

Postby Kainboy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

I think it's funny that the roomate is obviously a complete slob and yet the one thing that Randall decides that the refracted light coming towards his side of the room is the one thing that can't put up with.
Last edited by Kainboy on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CDRW

Postby CDRW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Okay, I'm going to bite. What exactly is stick-Randall's "fix" in the poster? 1) the "lens" that converges the light back in the second poster, or; 2) the whole second poster?

If it's 1), then it's basically a lame "haha I win Physics" joke, since the Dark Side of the Moon artwork never intended to be anything more than a piece of art.

If it's 2), however, then, well, Randall merely drew the original back cover of the cover, only with that stupid lens included!! In fact, the "cyclical" nature of the cover and back cover of the album reflects the "cyclical" nature of the album itself.

Wow, you sure went out of your way to get offended at this one didn't you?

TexasToast

Postby TexasToast » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

TzeraFNX wrote:When this comic came up on my RSS, the roommate had no glasses. When I look at the site, he does. What's up with that change?

Thank you for validating this concern over my sanity. When I looked at the site four hours ago, he had none. I wondered in the last panel if he was looking at the poster or not. Perhaps it's to clarify that.

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

jpk wrote:The compact disc really did have a pretty short run, didn't it?

30 years and going is a short run?

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

I just moved into a college dorm a little less than two months ago.
All the walls are made of a material that prevents you from putting up posters. :(

ihackedthis1 wrote:Has anybody else noticed that the roommate is a registered "total douchebag"? At least in the state of California...

That probably explains why the two didn't say a word to each other...
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

That guy is so minimalist. All he has is a backpack, a laptop and a poster. The poster is scientifically incorrect. The rainbow ends in a pot of skittles.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Their room doesn't have a window, so they're opening doors in their minds.

Elbirn

Postby Elbirn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

TexasToast wrote:
TzeraFNX wrote:When this comic came up on my RSS, the roommate had no glasses. When I look at the site, he does. What's up with that change?

Thank you for validating this concern over my sanity. When I looked at the site four hours ago, he had none. I wondered in the last panel if he was looking at the poster or not. Perhaps it's to clarify that.

I read this comic the second I woke up. I didn't notice the glasses or beard either, and when I read it again, I assume I must have just been too groggy to notice. Thanks for clearing that up for me, internet fwiends.

I'm glad I looked up this thread, because I honestly did not understand this at all. I suppose I should go lrn2physics better..

etherial

Postby etherial » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

Cardlinger wrote:So anyway, at least 2 physics mistakes on the poster - a non-continuous spectrum and the loss of the indigo/violet bands in favour of artistic simplicity.

Was that worth registering for?

Newton arbitrarily included 'Orange' and 'Indigo' in the colors of the rainbow in order to make his acronym work. I can't find an image of the full artwork all stitched together, but the original art does include the light waves being bent (off-camera) before crawling horizontally across the liner notes, as in

[img url="http://lotgk.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/darkside02.jpg"]

And yes, this was totally worth registering for.

danix

Postby danix » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

Mr. Timms wrote:I'm kind of disappointed that he did a memorial comic for Steve Jobs and not for Dennis Ritchie. Now there was an indisputable pioneer.

Same here. I kind of expected neglect from the mainstream news, but Randall??? :shock:

Anyway, this joke is good anyway. :twisted:

Lode

Postby Lode » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Cardlinger wrote:
Lode wrote:

"Fixed that for you"?

Hey all, noob posting here (have read comic for about 7 years but finally called to post!)

Lode, if you have a look at http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/im ... e-Moon.jpg (sorry, don't know how to link images) you'll see there's no indigo and violet, only one band of purplish light. I haven't looked for the quote but he was reported to say that for art's sake he'd compromise on science [not to mention the fact there'd be a continuous spectrum rather than blocks of coloured light on the cover].

So anyway, at least 2 physics mistakes on the poster - a non-continuous spectrum and the loss of the indigo/violet bands in favour of artistic simplicity.

Was that worth registering for?

Interesting!

Though the 'fix' of the comic doesn't fix that particular error!

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:I just moved into a college dorm a little less than two months ago.
All the walls are made of a material that prevents you from putting up posters. :(

You must be new if you haven't heard of Blu-Tack yet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

CDRW wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:*His usual bit*

Wow, you sure went out of your way to get offended at this one didn't you?

Insert the relevant "You must be new here" image.

It's SirMustapha's thing. It's why we keep him around.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

LieutenantLefse

Postby LieutenantLefse » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

epic_Creations wrote:
Venetian Road wrote:Wouldn't Pink Floyda be the name right after it alphabetically?

Hah? Wouldn't it be Pink Floye?

Also I joined just to post that :D

You may want to take "librarian" off your list of possible future occupations.

ccaccus

Postby ccaccus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Am I the only person who finds it odd that the dorm room doesn't have a window?

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:18 pm UTC

Last edited by Moose Anus on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:10 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

yaPete

Postby yaPete » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

ccaccus wrote:Am I the only person who finds it odd that the dorm room doesn't have a window?

No. HTH :)

Am I the only person who finds it odd that American universities have this weird thing about making unrelated adults share a bedroom? In a culture where it's increasingly unusual even for kids in a family to share a room?

Pete

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:I just moved into a college dorm a little less than two months ago.

You must be new if you haven't heard of Blu-Tack yet.
Gah, I hate Blu-Tack. It doesn't work particularly well, and some component of it has a nasty habit of soaking through the paper to which it is applied. I was very satisfied when the day came that I was able to riddle my walls with thumbtacks.

yaPete wrote:Am I the only person who finds it odd that American universities have this weird thing about making unrelated adults share a bedroom? In a culture where it's increasingly unusual even for kids in a family to share a room?
Oh, it's one of those things that "builds character", like having to put up with total jerks in high school gym class. :P

Besides, cash-strapped as some universities are (not to mention limited campus space), the alternative is to squeeze individuals into tiny prison-like spaces. Spaces that might just be deemed unfit for human habitation by some codes, I reckon.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

--came in?"

NotAllThere wrote:Is this turning into a b3ta.com image contest?

Yes.

Random_Walker wrote:Objection! I do buy CDs, and do so in stores.

I still buy CDs too (but these days, mostly only stuff that's not available on Spotify). Downloads are normally cheaper for new releases, but CDs tend to decrease to lower prices over time.

SirMustapha wrote:If it's 2), however, then, well, Randall merely drew the original back cover of the cover, only with that stupid lens included!! In fact, the "cyclical" nature of the cover and back cover of the album reflects the "cyclical" nature of the album itself.

That sort of looping front cover/gatefold/back cover might have been even more appropriate for The Wall than is for Dark Side of the Moon. DSOTM starts and ends with the heartbeat, but The Wall has that "Isn't this where we--"

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

Heehee I have this poster in my room- love Pink Floyd <3
(except it's the long 21cm x 62cm version)

quantropy wrote:I think that the reason the rainbow has seven colours is due to the mystical properties of the number seven, indigo and violet aren't different enough to deserve two places.

Your analysis seems to be correct- although these "mystical properties" seem to at least slightly be confirmed by scientific evidence - I had a boy in my high school orchestra class who had Synesthesia- he spent a class period telling each of us "when I see your shirt of [colour], I hear a low D [or whatever the note was]"
It was very interesting, and possibly partially why Newton decided colour and sound were correlated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesi ... ynesthesia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_spectrum#History (note the image of Newton's associating his colours with the octave scale)

Spoiler:
wikipedia wrote:Newton divided the spectrum into seven named colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. (Often abbreviated ROY G. BIV) He chose seven colors out of a belief, derived from the ancient Greek sophists, that there was a connection between the colors, the musical notes, the known objects in the solar system, and the days of the week.[6][7] The human eye is relatively insensitive to indigo's frequencies, and some otherwise well-sighted people cannot distinguish indigo from blue and violet. For this reason some commentators, including Isaac Asimov, have suggested that indigo should not be regarded as a color in its own right but merely as a shade of blue or violet.

edit: I also buy almost all of my music on CD. I want to have a physical copy. (And although vinyl is super nice, I don't have a turntable and it's significantly harder to make a digital copy)

... Did I just say I love CDs and Vinyls? I am 18... [sarcasm]hey everyone. I buy everything off of iTunes (now that the Beatles are on there anyway) because I love apple and DRM [/sarcasm]
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

BenFrantzDale

Postby BenFrantzDale » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:06 am UTC

jqavins wrote:
quantropy wrote:Newton had it right, to recombine the spectrum the second prism needs to be the same way up as the first.
prisms.png

I think that the reason the rainbow has seven colours is due to the mystical properties of the number seven, indigo and violet aren't different enough to deserve two places.

Actually, it's just because noone can pronounce Roy G. Bp

Anyway, the picture in the comic should look something like this:
Yes, I know, the light begins converging before it reaches the lense, and the angles and positions are porbably not exactly right, but I'm at work and could only waste so much time on this.

Thank you! Randal seems to have invented a material with negative Abbe number. I don't think they exist. Unless the right prism he drew is a low-dispersion glass with diffractive features on both sides. (Non-optics people: note that the Dark Side cover has the blue light bending more than the red; the prism Randal drew on the right has the red light making a tighter turn than the blue, hence the two prisms are of very different materials, to the point that the one on the right is downright exotic.) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration#Minimization

charon2009

Postby charon2009 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:20 am UTC

I think Randall was just going for the college roommates being polar opposites joke, the Pink Floyd poster just being the most visually grabbing part of the last panel.

severach

Postby severach » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:51 am UTC

University of Colorado PHET Interactive Simulations: Bending Light (Run Now, Prism Break, White Light)

I found plenty of ways to get light to mostly recombine, but that way doesn't work.

Mental Mouse

Postby Mental Mouse » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:17 am UTC

And then, there's that hovertext. I work in a used-book store, and that's just a really depressing idea -- especially given how hard it is to keep the bookstore going.

Spot

Postby Spot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:42 am UTC

My roommate has this poster. Right now it's right above my monitor, and there's enough space on the wall to put the FTFY next to it...so maybe I will.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”