0965: "Elements"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

VectorZero

Re: 0965: "Elements"

Postby VectorZero » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:12 am UTC

I think Randall underestimates the value of propaganda. Xenon-armies probably spec for an economic victory.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 am UTC

rbem84 wrote:In defense of xenon bending, xenon is a potent inhaled anesthetic. Seems like rendering the other benders unconscious would be an effective strategy.

They would also have bloody terrifying voices. That's gotta give'em some intimidation points.

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:21 am UTC

There are now an amusing number of posts defending weaponized xenon.
I think we hold strong opinions on the wrong things.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:32 am UTC

RyanW wrote:I suppose that mastering nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon could get you a fair approximation of air/water/earth/firebending, when used in the right combinations.

Do those four combinations form an orthogonal basis for the NaCHO (Nitrogen and CHO) space?

bazza

Postby bazza » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:39 am UTC

I presume Randall has read about this case?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7409160.stm

Noslo

Postby Noslo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:57 am UTC

Hmm. Now I'm trying to decide what element I want control over. Probably carbon. I would just take the carbon out of my enemies and pelt them with diamonds and coal.
Last edited by Noslo on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"There are now an amusing number of posts defending weaponized xenon.
I think we hold strong opinions on the wrong things."
-asmodai

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:00 am UTC

I've always thought it was kind of neat how the classic four elements match up perfectly with the four states of matter. Somehow nobody in the mainstream seems to have noticed.

isocum

Postby isocum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 am UTC

I wonder if Redcloak will call Mr. Jones and Mr. Phil Rodriguez or just be happy that he isn't the only one listened his chemistry classes.

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:17 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:I've always thought it was kind of neat how the classic four elements match up perfectly with the four states of matter. Somehow nobody in the mainstream seems to have noticed.

Yeah, it's almost like the classics were based on observations! Imagine that! :roll:

eHalcyon

Postby eHalcyon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:34 am UTC

solobutterfly wrote:Would this also make him an alchemist? He could probably make it look like he was turning lead into gold. But on further thinking, in the Avatar:The Last Airbender universe they have to have a nearby source for the elements to bend it, so unless Mendeleev is carrying around at least one atom of each element at all times, his bending would be ineffective.

Firebenders can create their own fire in the original cartoon. Shyamalan changed it in the film, which did not do justice to the original in the slightest.

Pretty sure Mendeleev would be extremely effective, seeing as he'd be able to manipulate all matter. :P

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:08 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:I've always thought it was kind of neat how the classic four elements match up perfectly with the four states of matter. Somehow nobody in the mainstream seems to have noticed.

I like to imagine that the four chemical elements used most often match up to the classical elements:

Oxygen = Fire, because oxygen causes fire
Nitrogen = Air, because nitrogen is the main component of air
Hydrogen = Water, because it makes up part of water, and it's name means 'water-forming'
Carbon = Earth, because of its presence in organic matter

So the analogy isn't perfect, but I like it.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:41 am UTC

Ephemeron wrote:I like to imagine that the four chemical elements used most often match up to the classical elements:

Hydrogen = Water, because it makes up part of water, and it's name means 'water-forming'

I'd say Earth = Silicium. That's what earth is mostly made of after all. Carbon would be life, but that's not an element. Carbon could also be fire, because that's what fuels most fires (and certainly most natural ones).

Though earth benders in the cartoon are also able to bend metal (well, one is). So there's that.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

ShadowDragoonFTW

Postby ShadowDragoonFTW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:55 am UTC

rpgamer wrote:
madock345 wrote:Toph's style is uniquely based on Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu, as she is mostly self-taught.

This always made me wonder if that's the style Aang learned. Would make sense, but I never paid enough attention to note his form while earthbending. Could also be that, as avatar, he'd adopt his own style in the three extra elements.

He uses a little bit of Mantis, but he also sprinkles in a healthy dose of Ba Gua, if I'm noticing it correctly. The reason is that he doesn't have to rely on Mantis for the same reason as Toph (she sees through the vibrations in the earth, since she is blind, so using Mantis style involves her shuffling around on the ground, maintaining more earth contact, and being able to see her opponents better), and he's also known several other Earthbenders who use Ba Gua. Plus, all his former life Earthbenders (since the Avatar's soul is reincarnated) all probably learned Ba Gua style, so as he picked up on the basics, he slowly remembers more and more of the form from his past lives.

:mrgreen: Yes. I'm a huge nerd. Yay!
Last edited by ShadowDragoonFTW on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowDragoonFTW

Postby ShadowDragoonFTW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Ephemeron wrote:I like to imagine that the four chemical elements used most often match up to the classical elements:

I'd say Earth = Silicium. That's what earth is mostly made of after all. Carbon would be life, but that's not an element. Carbon could also be fire, because that's what fuels most fires (and certainly most natural ones).

Though earth benders in the cartoon are also able to bend metal (well, one is). So there's that.

The strange part is, technically Toph doesn't bend the metal, rather she focuses on the bits of earth left in the refined metal, and bends those. It's bizarre. Which also means she's screwed if they ever find out a really really good way to purify metal during the smelting process.

Tualha

Postby Tualha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 am UTC

"Well, Mr. Anderson. It appears you are going to die."
"I don't think so. I am the tenth element bender, and my name is...NEON!"

Schumi

Postby Schumi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:14 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Carbon would be life, but that's not an element.

or Heart in the Captain Planet universe. :)

libra

Postby libra » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:20 am UTC

RyanW wrote:I suppose that mastering nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon could get you a fair approximation of air/water/earth/firebending, when used in the right combinations.

Particularly since the human body's pretty much composed of little more than those elements.

Also, iron bending would be appalling for anyone with haem in their bloodstreams, calcium and phosphorus bending would be lethal to anyone with an endoskeleton, and sodium and potassium bending would destroy the sanity of anyone with a nervous system (though lithium benders would be able to restore their balance).

Ironbenders would be able to rip the iron out of the bodies of their victims in an impressive red mist, by the way, like Magneto did to the guard in X2.

Edit: First draft, "endoskeleton" came out as "exoskeleton," ruddy spellchecker ...

Haylo

Postby Haylo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 am UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:I think Randall misinterpreted his audience seeing that many people that have posted on the forum have not seen the show.
Perhaps if someone would be kind enough to name "the show" those of us who do not watch television could google it and then maybe we'd get it.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:24 am UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:I think Randall misinterpreted his audience seeing that many people that have posted on the forum have not seen the show.

Show? Sorry, dude, The Last Airbender is a very famous movie by M. Night Shyamalan. I know that because I watch movies and I know stuff.

[/Randall]

hypersapien

Postby hypersapien » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 am UTC

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:37 am UTC

I would think someone here would point out the 144 elements existing in the stargate universe, and that Naquadah-bending would be the strongest.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

I'd be a Mercury bender so I could create Terminator units :)
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Ocker3

Postby Ocker3 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:

Show? Sorry, dude, The Last Airbender is a very famous movie by M. Night Shyamalan. I know that because I watch movies and I know stuff.

[/Randall]

Just in case someone Still doesn't know what we're Actually talking about, The Last Airbender is a Really good tv show, which was then made into a movie by a horrible director, and it should be stricken from the history books and only spoken of around darkened tables in hushed tones while making the sign of the avatar on your forehead, lest another person ever be so unfortunate as to watch it.
"why change something that's broken in a way that you know it's broken" - Brett McGrath

pokeman7452

Postby pokeman7452 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Show? Sorry, dude, The Last Airbender is a very famous movie by M. Night Shyamalan. I know that because I watch movies and I know stuff.

[/Randall]

Was that a joke of some kind? The movie was a big pile of bull **** with horrible scripting, acting, and name pronunciation. The show is Avatar: The Last Airbender and is one of the the best american cartoons made in the last decade. It was made for children, but nearly every aspect of the show is so perfect, you can hardly tell it isn't an actual Anime. The whole show is on Netflix (all of the "most helpful reviews" rate it 5 stars, I don't know how it has 4.3) and I would suggest you watch the first few episodes to get hooked see how good it is for yourself.

Alastriona

Postby Alastriona » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:

[/Randall]

Not sure if trolling or serious. But the movie is based off a very popular TV show.

Richard.

Postby Richard. » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

Not really. All he can do is control the movement of elemental atoms. He [Mendeleev] would have to spontaneously create heat energy for something approaching firebending, and he can't magically fuse elements together like he has Velcro-covered atoms.

Also, I love A:TLA.

As far the comic goes, my response(s) would be:
Swoosh- That was fire bending. You probably felt everything; in fact you are currently ash.
Swoosh- That was air bending. You probably can't hear me considering you're suffocating in a vacuum.
Swoosh- That was water bending. How does it feel to have your squishy body ripped apart from the inside out?
Swoosh- That was earth bending. You'll need much longer than 127 Hours to escape this fissure (considering I crushed both your legs).

And speaking of ashes, the Hindenburg was brought down by a hydrogen bender and fire bender. Solved.
we live in a beautiful world.

Spoiler:

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

Well... he finally did a comic making fun of Avatar like.... sooooo much later.

Off topic spoiler
Spoiler:
So he's making fun of cartoons now. That's great. Maybe sooner or later he'll do one involving the brony fandom, like EVERY OTHER WEBCOMIC has done.

On topic again.
I really loved Avatar as a teenager.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

invalidsyntax

Postby invalidsyntax » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

Cool idea for the comic, but can't help but be bugged by the spelling of "propoganda". Damn AP Composition and Language...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/propaganda

dexeron

Postby dexeron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

I still like Avatar: The Last Airbender, as should everyone, because it was a damn good show*. It was the Mysterious Cities of Gold** for the current generation.

* the movie shall not be spoken of. It shall rest in obscurity and infamy, its existance denied like Highlander II and most Disney sequels.

**with better animation quality, voice acting and continuity. And I'm saying this as a HUGE fan of MCoG.
By and by, when the sidewalks are safe for the little guy...

undecim

Postby undecim » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

pigslookfunny wrote:I never watched the show, so I'm not exactly sure how this element bending works, but it seems to me that carbon benders would be pretty scary.

Or anyone who can control any of the essential elements in the human body.

That's one thing I never really got... Couldn't the water benders just bend the water in their enemies bodies? Maybe they couldn't do it quite as strongly as they do pure water, but still... I saw them freeze water in one episode. How difficult must it be to do the same to various internal organs?
Blue, blue, blue

sjorford

Postby sjorford » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

joee wrote:I never realised there was a double-e in his name...

But not in mendelevium. Except in Estonian.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

undecim wrote:
pigslookfunny wrote:I never watched the show, so I'm not exactly sure how this element bending works, but it seems to me that carbon benders would be pretty scary.

Or anyone who can control any of the essential elements in the human body.

That's one thing I never really got... Couldn't the water benders just bend the water in their enemies bodies? Maybe they couldn't do it quite as strongly as they do pure water, but still... I saw them freeze water in one episode. How difficult must it be to do the same to various internal organs?
See Also:Metalbending, perhaps? That the water's too mixed in to the flesh to be easily manipulated?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

Bah, hellbenders are better
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

IntergalacticWalrus

Postby IntergalacticWalrus » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

As others have already pointed out this whole "manipulating periodic table elements" thing has already been done in the anime Seikon no Qwazer. Which is really too bad, it was a kickass idea that is wasted on an anime that can never become mainstream due to being the most fucked-up and inappropriate thing ever.

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Clearly the answer to all this squabbling is that your assorted bender can only manipulate elemental forms of matter.

Also, as someone with only a VAGUE sense of this air-bender nonsense I thought the joke was readily interpretable and amusing.

eidako

Postby eidako » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

Dibs on bismuth bending. Rather than using my talent for senseless violence, I would transform lumps of boring ore into insanely awesome sculptures and sell them at an absurdly high markup. Should any other benders attempt to steal my resulting wealth, I would merely distract them with a handful of shapeshifting bismuth until security arrived. No person could resist watching.

Last edited by eidako on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:34 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

rabidmuskrat

Postby rabidmuskrat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

I tend to go through phases where the use of the term "elements" for things like wind and fire occasionally bugs me. Luckily, these phases tend to pass over quickly.

Enjoyed the comic.

Traithew

Postby Traithew » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

With a name like that, no one takes the Carbon nation serious.....

Duban

Postby Duban » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

pokeman7452 wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Show? Sorry, dude, The Last Airbender is a very famous movie by M. Night Shyamalan. I know that because I watch movies and I know stuff.

[/Randall]

Was that a joke of some kind? The movie was a big pile of bull **** with horrible scripting, acting, and name pronunciation. The show is Avatar: The Last Airbender and is one of the the best american cartoons made in the last decade. It was made for children, but nearly every aspect of the show is so perfect, you can hardly tell it isn't an actual Anime. The whole show is on Netflix (all of the "most helpful reviews" rate it 5 stars, I don't know how it has 4.3) and I would suggest you watch the first few episodes to get hooked see how good it is for yourself.

I'm not sure it was written just for children. The show is awesome for people of any age, it's a must watch.

Hilarious, adult moment from The Last Airbender.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC6-phbjrNc&feature=player_embedded

The next morning Sokka was seen building a lay, implying a little something.
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

CodexDraco

Postby CodexDraco » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

undecim wrote:That's one thing I never really got... Couldn't the water benders just bend the water in their enemies bodies? Maybe they couldn't do it quite as strongly as they do pure water, but still... I saw them freeze water in one episode. How difficult must it be to do the same to various internal organs?

Spoiler:
Actually later in the show (in the 3rd book If I remember correctly) Katara learns blood bending and can control other humans, but only works on full moons and it's considered kinda darkside-ish

Also, I loved this comic, and I really liked the show. And the movie, what movie?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”