0965: "Elements"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pfhorrest

Re: 0965: "Elements"

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:03 am UTC

Schumi wrote:
Diadem wrote:Carbon would be life, but that's not an element.

or Heart in the Captain Planet universe. :)

There was once an Alliance of Four Great Races: the Earth Ponies: the Air Ponies, or Pegasuses; the Fire Ponies, or Unicorns; and the lost race of Water Ponies, or Seahorses. Then one day all that changed when the Fire Ponies attacked. Now Bruce Willis must accompany Heart, the legendary Fifth Element, Avatar of the Poniverse and the only one who can master all four elements, and by their powers combined summon Captain Pony to restore balance between the nations, and between ponikind and the spirit world.

(This SG1/MLP/5th Element/Captain Planet/Avatar mashup brought to you by a week of sleep deprivation).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Dr. T

Postby Dr. T » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:08 am UTC

Whenever I see this joke, inserting modern chemical elements in settings using the outdated classical elements, I wonder if people realize that their system is just as outdated. After all, the definition of an element as something that cannot be decomposed by any chemical reaction is utterly arbitrary once you know about nuclear reactions. But of course people still obey the writings of some 18th century guy. A idea of a carbon bender is just as flawed as the concept of a water bender or a lawn chair bender. If anything, there should be neutron, proton, electron, and photon benders. Wait, that's also outdated. Make it up, down, electron, electron neutrino, and photon benders.

eHalcyon

Postby eHalcyon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:34 am UTC

lly wrote:I felt Order of the Stick did this joke better with the Titanium Elemental and the Chlorine Elemental.

Not quite the same. The OotS comics reference the concept of Elementals that is common in the Fantasy genre (and which I believe comes mostly from Norse mythology... but I'm not certain). This comic references Avatar: The Last Airbender. Both deal with the classical elements, but that doesn't make them the same joke.

danix wrote:BTW, I wonder if the AvatarTLB movie is considered suckage because of the movie sucking, or just because Shaylaman directed it...

The former. It was just really, really bad. To be expected, when they try to conduct a season's worth of episodes into one short film. Characterization suffers hugely, and it doesn't help at all that they changed several fundamental concepts from the show, some of which actually contradict important plot points from subsequent seasons of the show.

ShadowDragoonFTW

Postby ShadowDragoonFTW » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:54 am UTC

eHalcyon wrote:
danix wrote:BTW, I wonder if the AvatarTLB movie is considered suckage because of the movie sucking, or just because Shaylaman directed it...

The former. It was just really, really bad. To be expected, when they try to conduct a season's worth of episodes into one short film. Characterization suffers hugely, and it doesn't help at all that they changed several fundamental concepts from the show, some of which actually contradict important plot points from subsequent seasons of the show.

I think it's actually part of both. The movie genuinely sucked, but that's because Shyamalan screwed it up so freaking badly...

I think the worst atrocity he committed (because I haven't actually seen the movie, just previews enough to see his ultimate sin) was taking away Zuko's scar and the whole backstory behind it. That is a (surprisingly) VERY big point to the overall plot of the series. Zuko receiving his scar is the WHOLE reason he acts the way he does during the first 1 4/5 seasons of the show. Night getting rid of the scar is him essentially saying, "Yeah, Zuko's just an asshole. That's it."

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:06 am UTC

Dr. T wrote:I wonder if people realize that their system is just as outdated.

I won't disagree with the substance of your post, but I'd like to nitpick that "just as" part by quoting Asimov: "When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together." The classical elements are just completely wrong, with no physical basis... while the atomic elements are merely an incomplete model, which abstracts away the more fundamental aspects of physics.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Defaulted

Postby Defaulted » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

eHalcyon wrote:Not quite the same. The OotS comics reference the concept of Elementals that is common in the Fantasy genre (and which I believe comes mostly from Norse mythology... but I'm not certain).

Actually it comes from, well, the occult mythology of Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, which was continued and expanded upon by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn in the nineteenth century.

Agrippa was one of the first to use the four classical elements in occultism and magic.

ofMars

Postby ofMars » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

eHalcyon wrote:

The way I understand how this movie sucked is this - M. Night decided to make the movie because his daughter introduced him to the show; she wanted to dress up like Katara for Halloween. Any of you guys remember that video of a 3 year old recapping Star Wars? Imagine someone trying to re-create the movie based on that kid's explanation. That's what the Avatar movie was like.

On bloodbending - I don't really understand Waterbenders' dependence on the moon - it's based on the moon's effect on water because of tides and such, and this takes place whether or not you can see the moon. So why should the time of day or phase of the moon have anything to do with a waterbender's power?

danix

Postby danix » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

ShadowDragoonFTW wrote:I think the worst atrocity he committed (because I haven't actually seen the movie, just previews enough to see his ultimate sin) was taking away Zuko's scar and the whole backstory behind it. That is a (surprisingly) VERY big point to the overall plot of the series. Zuko receiving his scar is the WHOLE reason he acts the way he does during the first 1 4/5 seasons of the show. Night getting rid of the scar is him essentially saying, "Yeah, Zuko's just an asshole. That's it."

Actually, Zuko's backstory is possibly one of the few things that didn't get completely Shaylaman'd. The duel thing is shown, but of course a lot of stuff is omitted, focusing just on the duel that caused his banishment (sans the scar).

Yes, I had the "pleasure" of watching it. I haven't watched the entire series, so I can't point as much stuff that was just wrong unlike in Dragonball Evolution. :shock:

Now that I think about it, Dragonball Evolution felt worse than this one. The DB Evolution movie took the entire freaking Dragonball original series (read: everything before Z) and turned it into something barely resembling Dragon Ball; Piccolo isn't even remotely the first enemy Goku gets to fight! That would be TaoPaiPai and/or the Red Ribbon army. Kinda like making an Evangelion movie having SEELE as the main antagonist from the beginning and outright throwing away the 17 angels.

At least the Shaylaman'd movie tried to stay within the show's storyline. Maybe if someone other than M Night had been given the project...

lly

Postby lly » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

eHalcyon wrote:
lly wrote:I felt Order of the Stick did this joke better with the Titanium Elemental and the Chlorine Elemental.

Not quite the same. The OotS comics reference the concept of Elementals that is common in the Fantasy genre (and which I believe comes mostly from Norse mythology... but I'm not certain). This comic references Avatar: The Last Airbender. Both deal with the classical elements, but that doesn't make them the same joke.

Greek, actually. They are the Hellenic elements, though they also map to Tibetan systems.

In terms of form they are almost precisely the same joke. The fact that they are referencing slightly different genres doesn't make it a different joke, it makes it the same joke in a different genre. It doesn't have to have even the same elemental basis–they could be using the Japanese classical element system (Air, Water, Fire, Earth, Void) and it would still be essentially the same joke.

The form of the joke is:
- Take an "element" system from any classical, mystical, or fantasy system which is used or purported to be used for some set of powers or for a ritual purpose.
- Provide a situation involving the powers, but using the modern element system.
- Show something indicating what that might look like.

For example, this follows the same form and could be turned into the exact same joke:

"I tried being Wiccan, but no coven would accept me after I insisted on calling the watchtowers for each of the 118+ elements."

"Hail ye guardians of the watchtowers of Molybdenum! Guardians of Alloys and followers of Hjelm, I do summon, stir, and call thee up…"

Same joke, slightly different set of inputs.

drixoman

Postby drixoman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Oh me yarm an Avatar mockery...my favorite cartoon and science subject in one.

Just waterbend the blood out of that bi*ch Aang; I'm sure Katara ought to have shared that secret arts with you sometime in that 55 years. Of course by that I'm referring to Legend of Korra, the sequel to make up for the atrocity committed by Shamalamadingdong You-know-who that destroyed the name and image of the brand. I can't imagine how did the creators agreed for him to represent their work; probably only because they were being ethical/moral and didn't want to justify based on his abysmal record... Ironically, Avatar Aang has since died in the new sequel (hence we get a new Avatar). Perhaps we'll get a glimpse of the golden age of the gang there. (though most probably not killed by radiation LOL)

Actually forget the four element, just go point-blank Energybend him and suck out his power. I won't go into the science of it; not nerdy enough to figure out how remotely it's possible. (For those of you who watched the series finale (Sozin's Comet) you know what I'm talking about.)

Watching the movie and the show in the wrong order is like watching any movie adopted from novel and reading the novel in the wrong order. (Hence there's 3 "book" to the show :) )

And to ofMars , yes the Moon's still there even though you can't see it but I believe it has more to do with the planetary alignment cycle. It's not like they can't use their power during the day.

There...now I showed how much of a "nerd" I am. :D

Rorgg

Postby Rorgg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

ofMars wrote:Any of you guys remember that video of a 3 year old recapping Star Wars?

That video got my daughter (3 or 4 at the time) to ask to see Star Wars. So I said "sure, why not" and pulled out the tape.

"Who's that?"
Luke Skywalker. He's the good guy.
"Who's that?"
C3PO, he's a robot. That's R2D2, his robot friend.
"Who's that?"
Darth Vader. He's the bad guy.

So I put the tape in. Episode IV, blah blah blah. Giant spaceship. Interior. Robots. Leia goes around a corner.
"Who's that?"
Princess Leia.

She stopped, turned to me, and as earnestly as she could, with hands on hips, said:
"You didn't tell me this was a PRINCESS movie!"
and a tiny Star Wars fan was born.

ofMars

Postby ofMars » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

drixoman wrote:And to ofMars , yes the Moon's still there even though you can't see it but I believe it has more to do with the planetary alignment cycle. It's not like they can't use their power during the day.

Yeah, but whether or not the moon is "full" has nothing to do with how close it is to the planet, so it shouldn't make you better at bending (supposedly the only time you can bloodbend), just as a new moon shouldn't make them worse. A lunar eclipse has no effect on the tides, so it should have no effect on the bending, especially since technically it can only happen during the full moon.

null1024

Postby null1024 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

@ofMars
I think I remember there being something about waterbender powers being a bit weaker in the day, which would have negated the effect of the moon a bit. Been a while since I've seen the show [I only saw it during its initial run], so I could be wrong, but....

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Schumi wrote:
Diadem wrote:Carbon would be life, but that's not an element.

or Heart in the Captain Planet universe. :)

There was once an Alliance of Four Great Races: the Earth Ponies: the Air Ponies, or Pegasuses; the Fire Ponies, or Unicorns; and the lost race of Water Ponies, or Seahorses. Then one day all that changed when the Fire Ponies attacked. Now Bruce Willis must accompany Heart, the legendary Fifth Element, Avatar of the Poniverse and the only one who can master all four elements, and by their powers combined summon Captain Pony to restore balance between the nations, and between ponikind and the spirit world.

(This SG1/MLP/5th Element/Captain Planet/Avatar mashup brought to you by a week of sleep deprivation).

Go to bed. We'll hold it down while you ... de-crazy?
I looked out across the river today …

drixoman

Postby drixoman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

ofMars wrote:
drixoman wrote:And to ofMars , yes the Moon's still there even though you can't see it but I believe it has more to do with the planetary alignment cycle. It's not like they can't use their power during the day.

Yeah, but whether or not the moon is "full" has nothing to do with how close it is to the planet, so it shouldn't make you better at bending (supposedly the only time you can bloodbend), just as a new moon shouldn't make them worse. A lunar eclipse has no effect on the tides, so it should have no effect on the bending, especially since technically it can only happen during the full moon.

Sigh...it's like werewolf and stuff...it's just some special property...explaining the inner assumption and working of the plot with science is just not really "appropriate". And beside, if that's the case then we got an even more important plot flaw, that a solar eclipse prevent firebending, let alone lightning (which is like bloodbend an "advance form"). It's not really the distance I would think...it's more the exposure to it that count; I mean distance seem virtually negligible in a lot of astronomy application anyway (don't flame my ignorance Astro ppl, thanks.) But then again if you have followed the whole show stuff the season 1 finale wouldn't make sense as well...:| )

cjquines

Postby cjquines » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

Sorry, polonium benders...
Xenon benders beat you to it.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:45 am UTC

elements1.png

Now you will feel the wrath of the Enthalpy of Sublimation!

drixoman

Postby drixoman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
elements1.png

I'm not kept up with my science. What's the plasma phase? I would imagine solid=earth, gas=air,liquid=water. plasma=fire?

And the fifth phase is no doubt "Energy"bending. I know, it's probably not scientifically correct at all..meh...just something an average "bender" can never even dream about. :)

theknownuniverse

Postby theknownuniverse » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:16 am UTC

Duban wrote:Oh, here is a link to where you can watch it if anyone is interested. It's really good.
http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/avatar-e ... nline-free

Danke Schoen. I've already seen most of it, but this comic has got me itching to re-watch it.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 am UTC

lly wrote:Greek, actually. They are the Hellenic elements, though they also map to Tibetan systems.

In terms of form they are almost precisely the same joke. The fact that they are referencing slightly different genres doesn't make it a different joke, it makes it the same joke in a different genre. It doesn't have to have even the same elemental basis–they could be using the Japanese classical element system (Air, Water, Fire, Earth, Void) and it would still be essentially the same joke.

Another system in use in China has Earth and Metal as separate elements--this might be similar enough to the Avatar system, given that Earthbenders can not manipulate metal directly and instead need to focus on the soil/stone particles contaminating most poorly-refined metals.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

drixoman wrote:
I'm not kept up with my science. What's the plasma phase? I would imagine solid=earth, gas=air,liquid=water. plasma=fire?

And the fifth phase is no doubt "Energy"bending. I know, it's probably not scientifically correct at all..meh...just something an average "bender" can never even dream about. :)

I guess technically fire isn't a plasma, but fire can produce plasma. Both the Einstein-Bose condensate and Plasma are like gasses that have strayed so far from the ideal gas equations that they are considered a different state of matter.

Bob_Squob

Postby Bob_Squob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

Question: Assuming element benders can only move elements, not create them, how many element benders would be able to kill you instantly?

BlackHatSupport

Postby BlackHatSupport » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Bob_Squob wrote:Question: Assuming element benders can only move elements, not create them, how many element benders would be able to kill you instantly?

Pretty much any of them - bend any random element into someone's brain. It generally has negative effects.

Oh, and watch out for zombie Marie Curie. She's leading the radium-benders. :D
Avenger_7 wrote:You are entitled to your opinion though. Even though it's wrong.

drixoman

Postby drixoman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:
lly wrote:Greek, actually. They are the Hellenic elements, though they also map to Tibetan systems.

Another system in use in China has Earth and Metal as separate elements--this might be similar enough to the Avatar system, given that Earthbenders can not manipulate metal directly and instead need to focus on the soil/stone particles contaminating most poorly-refined metals.

I don't think it's similar enough to apply to Avatar. The Chinese cycle is WOOD, Fire, Earth, METAL, and Water (not necessarily in that order). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing
Considering most viewer would probably not know about Taoism and other traditional Chinese philosophy I wouldn't expect them to have made the show using that. It's just a bit too obscure and doesn't quite relate with the viewer, not like martial arts, calligraphy, culinary, etc...

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

lly wrote:The form of the joke is:
- Take an "element" system from any classical, mystical, or fantasy system which is used or purported to be used for some set of powers or for a ritual purpose.
- Provide a situation involving the powers, but using the modern element system.
- Show something indicating what that might look like.

In that case, Randall's comic is an entirely different comic altogether! Because, as usual, Randall doesn't show anything -- he only tells what would happen.

lly

Postby lly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
lly wrote:- Show something indicating what that might look like.

In that case, Randall's comic is an entirely different comic altogether! Because, as usual, Randall doesn't show anything -- he only tells what would happen.

Doesn't that just make it a really bad attempt?

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:44 am UTC

lly wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
lly wrote:- Show something indicating what that might look like.

Doesn't that just make it a really bad attempt?

If not bad, at least a very half-arsed one. I re-read my post and realised it sounds a lot less sarcastic than I intended it to be.

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Don't you guys feel at all un-classy about bitching about the comic on the forum OF the comic, in such derisive terms, no less? You're obviously entitled to you opinions, and I've no desire or standing to tell you what to do. I'm just surprised you don't have better taste.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:44 am UTC

BlackHatSupport wrote:
Bob_Squob wrote:Question: Assuming element benders can only move elements, not create them, how many element benders would be able to kill you instantly?

Pretty much any of them - bend any random element into someone's brain. It generally has negative effects.

I think he's referring to the question of how many elements can be bent from inside your body due to most human bodies containing significant quantities of them, similar to the bloodbending thing. The most common elements in the human body are hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur, calcium, sodium, potassium, chlorine, magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, and iodine. All other elements generally have an abundance of less than one part in ten thousand in a healthy human body.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:51 am UTC

Please note that terminology is important here.

Avatar is a stupid movie about giant horse smurfs.

The Last Airbender is a stupid movie about an irritating kid and dancing around while the elements do entirely unrelated things to your dancing.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is an amazing cartoon where the physical movements of a bender's body can influence the world around them, and most of the actual discussion in this thread is about that in particular.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

asmodai wrote:Don't you guys feel at all un-classy about bitching about the comic on the forum OF the comic, in such derisive terms, no less? You're obviously entitled to you opinions, and I've no desire or standing to tell you what to do. I'm just surprised you don't have better taste.

I don't know what posting here has to do with taste, really.

As for being "un-classy", well, try calling THIS "classy".

ofMars

Postby ofMars » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

drixoman wrote:I don't think it's similar enough to apply to Avatar. The Chinese cycle is WOOD, Fire, Earth, METAL, and Water (not necessarily in that order). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing
Considering most viewer would probably not know about Taoism and other traditional Chinese philosophy I wouldn't expect them to have made the show using that. It's just a bit too obscure and doesn't quite relate with the viewer, not like martial arts, calligraphy, culinary, etc...

Speaking of culinary, there was a period of time when the wikipedia article was falsified and had Cheese instead of Wood. Not quite sure how long it lasted. Oh, internet.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:Another system in use in China has Earth and Metal as separate elements--this might be similar enough to the Avatar system, given that Earthbenders can not manipulate metal directly and instead need to focus on the soil/stone particles contaminating most poorly-refined metals.

If I remember correctly, toph bended the metal itself since it was explained to her as "Refined Earth". Her perception of metal is what allowed her to bend it.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:As for being "un-classy", well, try calling THIS "classy".
It's classy.

Now you try!
-Adam

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:It's classy.

Now you try!

It's a piece of sh-- ... oh, damn, I blew it.

ShadowDragoonFTW

Postby ShadowDragoonFTW » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:54 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
ijuin wrote:Another system in use in China has Earth and Metal as separate elements--this might be similar enough to the Avatar system, given that Earthbenders can not manipulate metal directly and instead need to focus on the soil/stone particles contaminating most poorly-refined metals.

If I remember correctly, toph bended the metal itself since it was explained to her as "Refined Earth". Her perception of metal is what allowed her to bend it.

Nope. As I explained earlier, the way she perceived the metal is what allowed her to bend it -- because she was able to see the earth left over in the metal from the smelting process, and bend THAT, which caused the metal to move with the bent earth. So yeah. Indirect metal bending.

BlackHatSupport

Postby BlackHatSupport » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

I think he's referring to the question of how many elements can be bent from inside your body due to most human bodies containing significant quantities of them, similar to the bloodbending thing. The most common elements in the human body are hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur, calcium, sodium, potassium, chlorine, magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, and iodine. All other elements generally have an abundance of less than one part in ten thousand in a healthy human body.

Oh. in that case, probably the benders of radioactives, reactives, and any others who can abruptly remove anything vital. Think randomized surgery.

I'll let you speculate freely.
Avenger_7 wrote:You are entitled to your opinion though. Even though it's wrong.

Sir_Read-a-Lot

Postby Sir_Read-a-Lot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 am UTC

drixoman wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
elements1.png

The number of states of matter has gone far beyond five, and is now approaching absurd.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:08 am UTC

Sir_Read-a-Lot wrote:The number of states of matter has gone far beyond five, and is now approaching absurd.

I can't find "absurd" on the Number Line. Is it somewhere in the unexplored region?

Saishy

Postby Saishy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Just as a curiosity.

In the novel "To Aru Majutsu no Index" there is a girl named Kinuhata Saiai able to control nitrogen up to a few centimeters along her body. Since nitrogen is pretty abundant she have an almost impenetrable armor able to withstand sniper bullets and she can lift heavy objects like tanks by using the nitrogen on her palm and then lifting it.
She also carriers around nitrogen grenades in case someone vacuum the place to remove her armor.

So being able to freely bend nitrogen would be an awesome power.

Just me being a little overboard with notes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”