0966: "Jet Fuel"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rwald

0966: "Jet Fuel"

Postby rwald » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:56 am UTC

Title Text: The 'controlled demoliton' theory was concocted by the government to distract us. '9/11 was an inside job' was an inside job!

South Park did it.

ryan7113

Re: 0966: "Jet Fuel"

Postby ryan7113 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:56 am UTC

Is it just me, or does Randall have a fascination with conspiracy theories?
Standard. Because we use it. Goddamn do we have balls.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:59 am UTC

It was all done on a sound stage anyway.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

rwald

Postby rwald » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:It was all done on a sound stage on the moon anyway.

FTFY.

cr101

Postby cr101 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:01 am UTC

rwald wrote:
Eutychus wrote:It was all done on a sound stage on Mars anyway.

FTFY.

FTFY
Last edited by cr101 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:02 am UTC

Clearly the Lizardmen are a cover for the Illuminati who in turn are a cover for the little green men, who are, in turn, using 9/11 to cover up their mind control contrails!

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:07 am UTC

this xkcd is an inside job!
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:13 am UTC

I'm surprised we haven't seen a tribute to Dennis Ritchie like we have for Steve Jobs. Without Ritchie, Jobs couldn't've made OS X what it is (or even brought in NeXT).
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

bhoot

Postby bhoot » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Mind control agents actually burn at 650 degrees Celsius. Just thought that everybody should know.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:23 am UTC

Is Randall stuck in 2001 or does he just talk to people who are?
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 am UTC

"'9/11 was an inside job' was an inside job" was an inside job!

C O N S P I R A C E P T I O N
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:34 am UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:Is Randall stuck in 2001 or does he just talk to people who are?

Sure it's a bit outdated, but it's funny none the less.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Renozuken

Postby Renozuken » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:46 am UTC

I like to ask them what else they know about metal and jet fuel

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:55 am UTC

Oh My God, GOMHR, I’ve been thinking about why people keep at the totally ridiculous "controlled demolition" "theories when they are so patently ridiculous, and I realized a possible logical explanation is that the government is starting the stories to make anyone who might reveal the truth look like crackpots.
It seem to be working pretty well, I haven’t seen any “conspiracy” hypothesis that didn’t sound crackpot.

Another possibility is that people are just stupid (and there is a lot more evidence for this) but that isn’t any fun, it’s just depressing.

feenyx

Postby feenyx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:55 am UTC

Is Randall not familiar with the works of Mr. Stone and Mr. Parker?
Their animated show already did the whole "Conspiracy within a Conspiracy" schtick, in an episode entitled Mystery of the Urinal Deuce

Plot summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_of_the_Urinal_Deuce

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Yeah, it's your standard double bluff. Like how they purposely gave lame sounding denials about alien ships at area 51 so nobody suspects it's just classified experimental aircraft. It was actually worded best in a Spider-man comic I read. "You hide the real lies behind fake lies so your true purpose is never discovered."

jpk

Postby jpk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:10 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:Yeah, it's your standard double bluff. Like how they purposely gave lame sounding denials about alien ships at area 51 so nobody suspects it's just classified experimental aircraft. It was actually worded best in a Spider-man comic I read. "You hide the real lies behind fake lies so your true purpose is never discovered."

"Fake lies"? You mean the conspiracy theories are actually true, and that's why they're so distracting? Very clever...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:14 am UTC

Doing, doing doing it wrong wrong, wrong.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

swabifyoudare

Postby swabifyoudare » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:28 am UTC

I know we're all on the same page here and sorry to be the gooseberry (whatever that actually means....idioms are strange).

But mainly in case you need some ammo:

Jet-A1 burns at 2000 degrees Celsius.
Carbon steel melts to a liquid at 1400 Celsius (yes that low!).
There are stronger steel alloys but they dont build buildings out of them because nobody can afford it, also the towers were the height (sic) of 60s/70s technology when they were built.

The Aluminium (its pronounced AL YOO MIN EEEE UMM ok - see the 'i' there ?) in the plane and exposed steel in the building may have caused additional Thermite reactions which would have caused little spikes up to 2500 Celsius in 'hot spots' if it occurred.

It is a miracle they stayed up for as long as they did! VERY good engineering, amazing actually.

There was also inadequate cladding on the steel because of cost cutting during construction, but personally I dont think it would have made a huge amount of difference (being chauvanistic about modern materials here) - its a 2000 degree fire, what the firefighters call a 'Delta' class fire: you can't put it out with anything conventional because it just vapourises or denatures on the way in, it requires special foams and solids.

And ultimately, why did they fall down?

Because memetically possessed fuckheadsFLEW 100 TON FUCKING AIRLINERS INTO THEM! That's why!

:o

Jared the Great

Postby Jared the Great » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:"'9/11 was an inside job' was an inside job" was an inside job!

I dunno, Conspiraception sounds like an inside job to me...
Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium
Spoiler:
Batman!

Dinoguy1000

Postby Dinoguy1000 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:"'9/11 was an inside job' was an inside job" was an inside job!

I was going to make a "conception" joke, but it's too similar to your comment. :(
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?

How about a wouldchuck?

alextrabec

Postby alextrabec » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:36 am UTC

It's too bad South Park already did this joke! Nice try though.

Azkyroth

Postby Azkyroth » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:38 am UTC

Is Randall stuck in 2001 or does he just talk to people who are?

You don't seriously think the kooks have just gone away, do you?

As conspiracy theories go, "9/11 was an inside job" is one of the dumber ones. It is simply impossible that the Bush administration could have planned and executed the September 11th attack, based on one simple piece of evidence:

It succeeded.

alextrabec

Postby alextrabec » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:41 am UTC

feenyx wrote:Is Randall not familiar with the works of Mr. Stone and Mr. Parker?
Their animated show already did the whole "Conspiracy within a Conspiracy" schtick, in an episode entitled Mystery of the Urinal Deuce

Plot summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_of ... inal_Deuce

I'm glad some one else picked up on this. I was like, yeah Randall, I watch south park too.

alun009

Postby alun009 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:47 am UTC

This reminds me of a conversation I had a few years ago. I and a friend deduced that there is a metaconspiracy: a body somewhere generating fake conspiracy theories in order to give conspiracy theories a bad name. Thus when a huge and damaging truth leaks out it is lumped in with all the other conspiracy theories and many otherwise intelligent people don't give it a second glance. In fact, reputable intellectuals will recoil from repeating it in case they suffer damage to their reputation.

If true, it is the classiest ideological weapon conservatism has ever invented. I would doff my hat, but then the radio signals would get to my brain and they could control me.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:51 am UTC

My dad believes that 9/11 was an inside job...

...to distract us from the then-recently revealed existence of extraterrestrial intelligences visiting Earth...

...who are awaiting our spiritual reawakening...

...after the downfall of their Atlantean allies with spiritually advanced technology...

...at the end of the Pleistocene era 12,000 years ago.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

karanj

Postby karanj » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:57 am UTC

swabifyoudare wrote:The Aluminium (its pronounced AL YOO MIN EEEE UMM ok - see the 'i' there ?)

For the love of ramen... don't start that. Just have a look at this page to see how many lives the spelling debate has already destroyed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Aluminium/Spelling

derder

Postby derder » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:02 am UTC

just for the record......

Donald Rumsfeld said one of the planes was shot down.
Tower 7.........
There is no evidence tying Osama Bin Laden or "Al Qaeda" to the attacks.
Hell, other than The Taliban and The (Iraqi) Republican Guard, I've not seen any evidence of there being any broadly organized opposition in Iraq or Afghanistan......

Louis XIV

Postby Louis XIV » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:14 am UTC

Only yesterday I proposed in the "General" Forum to play Flat Earthers and Hollow Earthers out against each other.

Coincidence or conspiracy ? :roll:

(Well, Randall might as well be reading the forum, but that explanation would be too simple...)

po8crg

Postby po8crg » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 am UTC

Demolition, not demoliton.

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:26 am UTC

So that's two title-text spelling mistakes in a row - "propoganda" on Monday, "demoliton" today. I will be watching out for Friday's and subsequent errors, because clearly these "highlighted" words are going to somehow form a secret message exposing the REAL conspiracy.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

tho74

Postby tho74 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:23 am UTC

Apropos inside job: Did it ever occur to you that tinfoil hats might cover you from alleged hostile brain control waves from sattelites thousands of kilometeres awas, but otoh forms a nearly parabolic antenna to the whole communication wires and infrastructure below pedestrian lanes just a couple of meters away? And coincidentally only relevant people will be affected, since only they are likely to wear - wait a minute, there is someone knocking at my door, I will write more. later.

vltava

Postby vltava » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:27 am UTC

Propoganda, demoliton - evidence that marriage is degenerative to literacy.

imantodes

Postby imantodes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:30 am UTC

swabifyoudare wrote:The Aluminium (its pronounced AL YOO MIN EEEE UMM ok - see the 'i' there ?) in the plane and exposed steel in the building may have caused additional Thermite reactions which would have caused little spikes up to 2500 Celsius in 'hot spots' if it occurred.

Little known fact: the "i" is silent.

RyanfaeScotland

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:33 am UTC

feenyx wrote:Is Randall not familiar with the works of Mr. Stone and Mr. Parker?

Plot summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_of_the_Urinal_Deuce

Are you not familiar with the works of rwald?

His first post already did the whole "South Park did it" schtick.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:55 am UTC

tho74 wrote:Apropos inside job: Did it ever occur to you that tinfoil hats might cover you from alleged hostile brain control waves from sattelites thousands of kilometeres awas, but otoh forms a nearly parabolic antenna to the whole communication wires and infrastructure below pedestrian lanes just a couple of meters away? And coincidentally only relevant people will be affected, since only they are likely to wear - wait a minute, there is someone knocking at my door, I will write more. later.

Brilliant! By making people think that tinfoil hats protect them, they actually make the most concerned people put antennas on their own heads in order to make it easier for the signals to penetrate their brains!

Now, if you really want total insulation from radio and microwaves, what you need is a full-body metallized suit (foil or mylar will do--but you need to be entirely covered except for small breathing vents so that the waves have nowhere to penetrate).

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 am UTC

The mistyping of the word demolition proves that this comic was an inside job! It's the government that wants to control our minds by the use of keywords cleverly disguised as puns and math-comics.
And they want to know where we are, hence the geohashing idea. It all makes sense! Randal isn't real, he's a figment of the governments imagination!
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Evil Midnight Lurker

Postby Evil Midnight Lurker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:11 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:Clearly the Lizardmen are a cover for the Illuminati who in turn are a cover for the little green men, who are, in turn, using 9/11 to cover up their mind control contrails!

Milhouse van Houten wrote:OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people -- under the supervision of the reverse vampires -- are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner. We're through the looking glass, here, people...

Lightnix

Postby Lightnix » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:17 am UTC

I've always been kind of under the impression that conspiracy theorists did 9/11 so that they'd have something to talk about.

TheAztec

Postby TheAztec » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:22 am UTC

I've never seen the guy on the left before. A new character?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”