0972: "November"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3460
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

Huh, I didn't know anybody pronounced the h in "homage." But I guess a lot of people do.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6279
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Jorpho » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:40 am UTC

jdb-44 wrote:On a side note, I kind of wish I hadn't read Peanuts so much as a kid. So much meanness in that strip (I'm looking at you, Lucy!), and poor Charlie Brown's constant failures and low self-image were sad and not the best thing for a sensitive kid to be absorbing.

Just because a features cutely-drawn kids and a funny dog, doesn't make it appropriate for kids. :)
Ahh, thank you sir. At times I have thought I was the only one who felt this way. I also suspect I was on some level traumatized by overexposure to Charlie Brown's defeatist attitude and Zen-like ponderings in my formative years. Maybe I do overemphasize that in my mind; I seem to recall an awful lot of downright depressing "children's" literature.

The best way I have ever seen of showing this is http://www.3eanuts.com , the simple presentation of Peanuts comics strips with the last panel removed, such that "despair pervades all". It even works for http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nM44tDCLKFk/T ... d-lucy.jpg as referenced!

[I too quite forgot about the strip in question; it isn't even particularly funny or memorable, making Randall's attempt at a gag even more bemusing.]

Gd8908
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Gd8908 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:44 am UTC

When I was twelve I learned about my Windpipe being closed up when I ate and my gullet closing up when I took a breath, I spent half the time I ate thinking about my breathing. For the rest of the year. Aaaand, now I am again. Thanks, Randall.

User avatar
muntoo
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby muntoo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:55 am UTC

What are you all talking about? What's so bad about 'being aware of your tongue'? :P It's just--... OH GOD NO.

NOOOOOOOO!!!

User avatar
LucasBrown
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:57 am UTC
Location: Poway, CA

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby LucasBrown » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:12 am UTC

As of today, I am prepared to declare Randall one of the greatest trolls ever.

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Angelastic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:51 am UTC

Emperor_Z wrote:I just finally learned to kind of hover my tongue in the center of my mouth instead of resting it on my teeth like I had for the rest of my life.

Wait... so people rest their tongues against their teeth? My tongue doesn't quite reach to my teeth when at rest (though I've never thought of it as being especially short.) It just sits comfortably against the roof of my mouth. Hey, people, since it's tongue awareness month, let's all state where we put our tongues, to see if there are any major differences that nobody knew about because we don't talk about our tongues enough (like that thing about some people sitting and others standing to wipe.)

I predict 23% 'AARRGGH! I don't know any more!'

:oops: Hi, I'm new to these here forums. I've been reading the comics since the day I discovered the sudo T-shirt and ordered some for my sister and me, several years ago. I came to the forums today to see whether there was more to the comic and what Peanuts had to do with it.

User avatar
Red Hal
Magically Delicious
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Red Hal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:19 am UTC

saturn_adrift wrote:
Post by Dave
Being aware of your breathing is more annoying, because if you try to stop thinking about breathing in and then breathing out, you end up holding your breathe. This, to me, is more annoying than thinking about my tongue, and by typing it out I have just started thinking about it.

Damn.

Dave
-----------------------------
Post by Red Hal
I'd like to help you with that but, I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.


I set up a forum account just so I could tell you how much I heart this particular response. Thank you for a literal LOL, Red Hal!
You're welcome. I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5932
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Angua » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:33 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
[I too quite forgot about the strip in question; it isn't even particularly funny or memorable, making Randall's attempt at a gag even more bemusing.]
I remembered the strip right away (as did a lot of other people posting) and thought it was funny. I guess it just depends on your sense of humour, and whether or not you are affected by awareness of the tongue syndrome (my boyfriend didn't find the feeling of his tongue in his mouth worrying after I got him to read the original peanuts strip, whereas I'm having trouble writing this post without getting it)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:00 am UTC

I don't get what the point of the strip is. Randall has done nothing more than reference the original joke. He is acknowledging it: he's just saying "hey, remember that Peanuts strip? Yeah, that was funny," as if that passes off as humour. It doesn't work as a homage, it doesn't work as a reference, it doesn't work as an expansion of the original joke... what's the point?? "Trolling" people by making them aware of their tongues? There are better ways to do that.

What happened, in my opinion, is that Randall bumped into that strip, got the annoying feeling himself, and wanted to "pass it on" to his readers; but since posting it in his blog would not reach as many readers, he made a half arsed comic instead. And that is pretty lame.

neocow
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby neocow » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:50 am UTC

I still didn't think the joke was funny, but what confused me more is why he generalized Schulz's birthday as "November".

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

hotaru wrote: i always breathe and blink manually.

Bedtime must be a bitch.

Solray
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Solray » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

saturn_adrift wrote:
Red Hal wrote:I'd like to help you with that but, I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.


I set up a forum account just so I could tell you how much I heart this particular response. Thank you for a literal LOL, Red Hal!


Ditto.

I generally get moments from time to time when I become aware of certain body parts. Like when I'm sitting on the can, stretch out my bare arms, and realize how long they are. Holy crap, just looking down their length, it's loooong.

Tongue awareness doesn't bother me since I'm always playing around with it. Inspecting my teeth, rolling it, chewing on it. But I've been made more aware of this ever since, during a martial arts class, I've been taught to keep my tongue at the roof of my mouth to prevent myself from biting it. Now, whenever I'm outside, I'll occasionally remember to put my tongue on the roof just in case I get jumped or hit by a car.

User avatar
SpringLoaded12
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Randomizer wrote:What the hell is wrong with you? I read the XKCD comic, and then looked at the Peanuts one, and posted my reaction to each. That is all.

I'm very sorry for my rudeness in my previous reply; I was in a very bad mood at the time, and I misinterpreted your post. I'll elaborate below.

Steve the Pocket wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:Don't get me wrong guys, Peanuts is a classic and all. But acting like every Peanuts strip is some sort of miracle that brought humanity out of the Dark Ages while acting like anything that references it with a similar joke isn't even worth using as toilet paper is just silly.

Randomizer never said or implied anything of the sort. I think you're... not projecting, what's the term? ...taking out your frustrations with one group of people on someone else entirely just because he happened to remind you that those people exist.

You're right, and again, I apologize to you both. I misinterpreted Randomizer's comment as being a criticism of the comic for being "not as good" as the original while (supposedly) making the same joke -- which it doesn't, as you described, Steve the Pocket. The sort of people who condemn a derivative work as garbage for the sole reason that it is not as good as the work from which it is derived are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. If I may explain further...

musicgeek wrote:My first thought was "huh - recycled 'Peanuts' gag." Then I read the alt text and smiled. "Ah, 'Peanuts' homage."
This comment is probably the only one that would have improved my mood at the time.

I had been very close to losing my temper due to a lot of other things going on at the time, and my misinterpretation of Randomizer's comment was just the last tiny little thing that sent me over the edge. Looking back, my reply was pretty nasty. As for the remark about bringing humanity out of the Dark Ages and about toilet paper and such, that was just hyperbole; an overreaction, just like the rest of my earlier post -- and now, it just sounds silly.

I have a theory on why these misinterpretations happen. I've noticed that when I read forum posts (and I'm sure this is true of other people as well), I subconsciously try to associate a voice and/or a face with the words being read, to give them mood and tone and such, which helps interpret the meaning of the written words. I usually look to the person's avatar and, if possible, use the voice and tone I imagine it would have.
For example, when I read SirMustapha's posts I envision them being said by that pink bunny thing wearing a suit, and when I read Eternal Density's posts I envision them being said by what I assume is a guy at a concert. When there is no avatar -- like in Randomizer's case -- I have to guess, and I guessed wrong.
All of this might sound pretty weird if you don't think the same way, but I think someone else here must be the same way about this sort of thing.

So again, my sincerest apologies to you two, Randomizer and Steve the Pocket; I was not myself when I posted that. If I ever have an outburst like that again on the fora, please reply to it and point it out; hopefully it'll happen less often then.

:oops:


SirMustapha wrote:\What happened, in my opinion, is that Randall bumped into that strip, got the annoying feeling himself, and wanted to "pass it on" to his readers

I think Randall sometimes does little experiments with his readers. I'm not sure if you saw his Color Survey, but I think some strips are sparked by the same curiosity of how people react to things. In particular, I remember the Atheism vs. Fundamentalism strip, which didn't appear to have a punchline of any kind, yet sparked over 30 pages of discussion a 30+ page flamewar on the strip's thread, all of which ignored what I thought was the point of the strip -- that the eternal argument between the two groups was pointless. I think that was intentional; I think Randall wanted to see if the readers would get what he was saying and refrain from arguing, or if they would see the words "atheists" and "fundamentalist Christians" and then rev up their debate engines. I remember making a single post in that thread, when it was 20-something pages long; no words, just an animated .gif of the Joker staring and munching popcorn. As far as I know, it was completely ignored and the arguments continued, though I did not think my post would bring the thread to a screeching halt.
Last edited by SpringLoaded12 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Sprocket » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

Drooling Iguana wrote:Being aware of your tongue isn't so bad as long as you don't think about your breathing too much.

I was going to say this. Tongue awareness is no biggie, and goes away pretty easily, it's fun to be aware of your tongue. However noticing your breathing is irritating.

I woke up with my tongue all swollen and dry this morning, it felt like it wasn't getting enough circulation. I think this is because the heat is on, yey dryness!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5438
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:In particular, I remember the Atheism vs. Fundamentalism strip, which didn't appear to have a punchline of any kind, yet sparked over 30 pages of discussion a 30+ page flamewar on the strip's thread, all of which ignored what I thought was the point of the strip -- that the eternal argument between the two groups was pointless.

As I read it, the point of that strip was pretty clearly that trying to make yourself feel superior by dismissing both sides of the argument out of hand is silly -- as is (per the alt text) trying to make yourself feel superior by dismissing people who do that, and so on. If that point is correct, then the only way to escape the silliness of recursive ironic distance is to earnestly engage in the subject at hand. Which we proceeded to do, for over 30 pages, thus proving ourselves superior to those who would mock the -- oh dear, now I've gone cross-eyed.

Also, it's not a flamewar if the people involved aren't angry, and as I recall the bulk of people in that thread were being eminently reasonable. Reasonably-tempered, at least, if not reasonable in their crazy superstitious beliefs ;)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26765
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

Schadenfreude wrote:Any notable connection with Peanuts? I don't see any.
Then apparently you're unaware that Shulz was born in November?

Also, ignoring the title text of an xkcd comic would be like ignoring the votey for SMBC or ignoring the last panel of most other comics: Yes, no shit it removes a great deal of the humor. In much the same way that you'd have a great deal more trouble walking if I cut off both of your legs.

SirMustapha wrote:I don't get what the point of the strip is.
Color me totally shocked!

It doesn't work as a homage, it doesn't work as a reference, it doesn't work as an expansion of the original joke... what's the point??
Actually, it's all three of those things. I'm curious as to how you define them differently such that you don't understand this.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Vnend
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Vnend » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:20 am UTC

Lerkistan wrote:Kidding? The whole strip only works as a follow up to the Peanuts comic. It wouldn't make SENSE without prior knowledge of the Peanut comic.


Your argument proceeds from a false premise: I had no prior (conscious) knowledge of the Peanut strip, but the strip got a smile from me. Learning about the Peanuts strip, and reading it, added to my appreciation of the xkcd strip.

Reading the comments, on the other hand, is hit or miss.

User avatar
whateveries
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:14 am UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby whateveries » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:25 am UTC

See the problem is standards. XKCD uses the ANSI standard for Homage, where I suspect a lot of readers who fail to see it as such are using the ISO standard for Homage, Also note that ANSI is also the standard XKCD uses for humour. Sure in these global times you would think Randall would lift his game and rewrite the entire 972 individual XKCD's to comply with a more universal standard, but. what. This guy I work with has just pointed out, that, there is in fact, NO STANDARD SYSTEM for qualifying, either humour or homage. If you don't get it, and others do, it's just, that.
it's fine.

User avatar
whateveries
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:14 am UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby whateveries » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:Huh, I didn't know anybody pronounced the h in "homage." But I guess a lot of people do.


and we also pronounce the h in herb. wild times my friend, wild times.
it's fine.

User avatar
BytEfLUSh
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:15 am UTC
Location: Sombor, Serbia, Pizza
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:13 am UTC

Oh, people have tongues and aren't aware of them? How great.

None of those "now you are aware that you have to (verb) to live" or "were you aware that you had a (noun)?" things work out for me. Since I was 6 or 7, I used to get a creepy feeling: "Holy f*ck, I'm one of the 5 billion people (7b today, inflation adjusted), one of the hundreds of billions living creatures, and look at me! I'm moving my limbs!" And I can see myself moving, it's amazing... Oh wait, it's creepy. Where is the refrigerator? I need to stuff some food in me. And now is a good time to breathe some air. Good, still alive.

Anyway, what's even more creepier (at least for me)... Look at your hands. So, typing a comment, aren't we? Opening a new tab? Maybe doing some Google search? You can easily realize that you're the ONLY one doing it. You're playing a first-person adventure. You're the only one controlling the character. THAT's what creeps me out. :)
Image

Image

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Harry Voyager
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 am UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Harry Voyager » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:17 am UTC

whateveries wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:Huh, I didn't know anybody pronounced the h in "homage." But I guess a lot of people do.


and we also pronounce the h in herb. wild times my friend, wild times.


But we don't pronounce the h in haute couture, for obvious reasons.

maafy6
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby maafy6 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:30 am UTC

For me, the thing to appreciate in this comic is the Peanuts homage blended in with a poke at all the bullshit awareness months that idiots make up with a fun play on words.

User avatar
hawkinsssable
Promoted
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 7:46 am UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby hawkinsssable » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:35 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:Look, classhole is an asshole, the clue is in the name. By linking the month to tongue awareness he extends the impact of the whole "you are now breathing manually" meme by creating an association between the two, vastly increasing the chance that the susceptible person on the left will be affected even long after classhole has gone. You don't need to invoke Schulz, you don't need to link it to things like "the pressure your nails put on the tops of your fingers", it's just someone being a dick in a slightly novel way, and as such is in keeping with classhole's personality.


Oh God.

Tongue awareness, manual breathing, they had no effect on me. But now my fingers feel seriously WRONG.
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.

User avatar
netsplit
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:34 am UTC
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby netsplit » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:21 am UTC

I'm just glad Blinking Awareness Month is over.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

jpk
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:33 am UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby jpk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:34 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Also, ignoring the title text of an xkcd comic would be like ignoring the votey for SMBC or ignoring the last panel of most other comics: Yes, no shit it removes a great deal of the humor. In much the same way that you'd have a great deal more trouble walking if I cut off both of your legs.


There's some irony in that comment showing up in the discussion of this comic. Ignoring the title text here loses nothing of the humor, the text's only purpose is to make us aware that there is a reference being made (if we're not encyclopedic Peanuts fans) and that the reference is a conscious one (if by some chance we are encyclopedic Peanuts fans)

Generally, I find the title text to be more of a bonus joke than anything else. If the comic works, it works on its own. If it fails, the title text can't save it. On the other hand, the title text can't take anything away from a good strip. (what's funny about "Perl, I'm leaving you"?)

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3460
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:32 am UTC

whateveries wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:Huh, I didn't know anybody pronounced the h in "homage." But I guess a lot of people do.


and we also pronounce the h in herb. wild times my friend, wild times.

I guess I should have qualified my statement by saying that people in the US commonly pronounce the h in "homage" according to Webster's. I don't think many Americans pronounce the h in "herb" (except in the name Herb), though I have heard it pronounced in "herbivore" on occasion.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
It doesn't work as a homage, it doesn't work as a reference, it doesn't work as an expansion of the original joke... what's the point??
Actually, it's all three of those things. I'm curious as to how you define them differently such that you don't understand this.


A homage should, you know, do something a little more than "hey artist X once did Y and I am doing Y too lawl!"; a little more, you know? Like paying some sort of tribute, or something?
A reference, on the other hand, should have some sort of context, some sort of background to it, some sort of purpose that makes them funny. Think of how the Simpsons used to do all kinds of references in their first 8 seasons or so, and then think of how Family Guy does references. The only thing similar to a "context" here is Black Hat Guy, which, well, puts it closer to Family Guy than the Simpsons.
An expansion, now... why, are you kidding? What is Randall expanding here? He's just repeating the original joke, and the change in setting doesn't change the final punchline at all. Randall builds nothing on the joke, and the joke builds nothing on the characters of the strip.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26765
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:A homage should, you know, do something a little more than "hey artist X once did Y and I am doing Y too lawl!"; a little more, you know? Like paying some sort of tribute, or something?
Such as, for example, declaring that the month of Shulz's birth should be one where we remember a comic of his by engaging in the same activity that made that comic funny?

A reference, on the other hand, should have some sort of context, some sort of background to it, some sort of purpose that makes them funny.
First of all, being a reference doesn't entail being funny. You're thinking of references made for the sake of comedy, but there are other kinds, too. Like when I make a reference to my breakfast by saying "my breakfast". Secondly, this comic does have context, background, and purpose. And many people have even found it funny. You might go ahead and declare that this is because they're all stupid, but those less trollish among us would instead contend that it's because there's no accounting for taste, and different people have different opinions about things.

An expansion, now... why, are you kidding? What is Randall expanding here? He's just repeating the original joke, and the change in setting doesn't change the final punchline at all. Randall builds nothing on the joke, and the joke builds nothing on the characters of the strip.
Randall builds on the joke by extending the humorous situation to the entire month of the original author's birth, at least for people who, like Linus, are capable of getting distracted by something like their own tongues.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Such as, for example, declaring that the month of Shulz's birth should be one where we remember a comic of his by engaging in the same activity that made that comic funny?


No way! That would be a silly idea! Where did you get that from? ... oh, wait...

gmalivuk wrote:First of all, being a reference doesn't entail being funny. You're thinking of references made for the sake of comedy, but there are other kinds, too. Like when I make a reference to my breakfast by saying "my breakfast".


What kind of reference should be expected from a purely comic 4-panel strip from a webcomic? You know, I said that it didn't work as a reference, not that it wasn't a reference. Of course it is, but it doesn't work, because it's intended to be humourous, but it isn't. You're not going to pull the "But it's not meant to be funny!!" card on me, are you? Because this comic was meant to be funny.

gmalivuk wrote:Secondly, this comic does have context, background, and purpose.


What context? What background? Like I said, the only context we have is Black Hat Guy, and the only context that carries is "he is mean". That's all.

gmalivuk wrote:You might go ahead and declare that this is because they're all stupid, but those less trollish among us would instead contend that it's because there's no accounting for taste, and different people have different opinions about things.


I also used to think that everything is subjective and everything is down to taste, but if that were the case, then we wouldn't have some films on IMDb with such absurdly high ratings and some films with absurdly low ratings, because hey! it's all down to taste! You know, there are things that are a lot, a real lot more popular than others, and there's got to be a reason for that. You could say that it's all purely random, but I could argue that there are, you know, at least a few objective reasons why The Godfather is an overall better film than Baby Geniuses 2. So yeah, I argue that there are a few objective aspects to art, and I don't know what's "trollish" about that. I've definitely seen a lot more trollish things here than that.

gmalivuk wrote:Randall builds on the joke by extending the humorous situation to the entire month of the original author's birth, at least for people who, like Linus, are capable of getting distracted by something like their own tongues.


That would only work if one assumes that whatever Black Hat Guy says actually happens, which is a pretty crappy concept.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10258
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby addams » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

Schadenfreude wrote:Generally, it is wise to not cite your source when you steal a joke.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nM44tDCLKFk/TfvJ-EDJNMI/AAAAAAAAAn8/cgQmWyaZ50Y/s1600/linus-and-lucy.jpg

And yes, it is stolen. The joke is far from universal (unlike, say, a joke about superheroes wearing their underwear on the outside of their pants). Schulz did it better.


Thank you, so much. The man had a wicked sense of humor.



Re: 0972: "November"

Post by squareroot » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:48 pm UTC
This is actually terribly true for me, since I got my braces on on October 31st. (I hate my parents, btw, for choosing /that date/ for the appointment. Ugh.) So... kind of "whole mouth awareness" month for me.

And; Poor You! I have laughed and laughed about you. You will live and you will, most likely, be lovely to see. But, for now; Your life sucks. I am sorry. Poor You. I laughed at both comics and at you. Whole mouth awareness, indeed.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
donaithnen
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby donaithnen » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

forbiddenSpell wrote:You are now aware that there is no comfortable place in your mouth for your tongue.


Uh, no, it seems to be perfectly fine right where it is? Not that it usually spends much time sitting still. I spend a lot of the day chewing on it or poking at my teeth with it. Or at least that's what it's doing when i'm thinking about it. I don't know what it does the rest of the day cause i... don't think about it.

forbiddenSpell wrote:You are now breathing manually.

You are now blinking manually.


Okay, sure i'm doing that, and now i'm not again. As soon as i stop actively thinking about it it goes back to automatic, you know, they way the body is intended to work? Do people seriously have trouble with this?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26765
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:What kind of reference should be expected from a purely comic 4-panel strip from a webcomic? You know, I said that it didn't work as a reference, not that it wasn't a reference. Of course it is, but it doesn't work, because it's intended to be humourous, but it isn't. You're not going to pull the "But it's not meant to be funny!!" card on me, are you? Because this comic was meant to be funny.
This one was meant to be funny, yes. But that's not the same as saying it's a "purely comic" strip.

the only context we have is Black Hat Guy, and the only context that carries is "he is mean". That's all.
Oh good, thanks for clearing that up. I had been operating under the assumption that you actually knew what context meant. Now that I know you obviously don't, I'll stop harping on that particular point.

I also used to think that everything is subjective and everything is down to taste, but if that were the case, then we wouldn't have some films on IMDb with such absurdly high ratings and some films with absurdly low ratings, because hey! it's all down to taste!
That doesn't logically follow even a teeny little bit. Subjective doesn't mean the same as random. And even if it did, random doesn't mean the same as uniformly distributed.

I could argue that there are, you know, at least a few objective reasons why The Godfather is an overall better film than Baby Geniuses 2.
You could, but I'd counter with the claim that those objective reasons can at best merely show why it's more highly regarded by more people.

In addition, you might have noticed that you're typically one of the few if not the only person angrily going on and on about how shitty you think each of Randy's comics is. Which means, if objective quality corresponds to general regard and popularity, *you're* one of the people who is wrong or at the very least dangerously abnormal.

That would only work if one assumes that whatever Black Hat Guy says actually happens, which is a pretty crappy concept.
No, actually it only assumes that some people will read the words BHG says, and then proceed to understand and consider the meaning of those words. November doesn't have to *officially* become tongue awareness month for the comic to nonetheless succeed at getting some people to spend an inordinate amount of time this month thinking uncomfortably about their tongues.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

cerrita
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 4:19 am UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby cerrita » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

donaithnen wrote:
forbiddenSpell wrote:You are now aware that there is no comfortable place in your mouth for your tongue.


Uh, no, it seems to be perfectly fine right where it is? Not that it usually spends much time sitting still. I spend a lot of the day chewing on it or poking at my teeth with it. Or at least that's what it's doing when i'm thinking about it. I don't know what it does the rest of the day cause i... don't think about it.

[...]

Do people seriously have trouble with this?


I have Bruxism, where I clinch or grind my teeth together tightly enough to cause damage, especially while sleeping. To prevent it, I hold my tongue tip between my incisors when not talking or eating to prevent the rows touching. Suffice it to say I think about my tongue all day, every day. Never been a problem, never felt weird. Same goes for blinking, breathing, or any other autonomic function.

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3460
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Maybe you should stop your gram a day monkey habit.

(Just kidding, I know bruxism isn't generally drug-related.)

User avatar
SpringLoaded12
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:37 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:What kind of reference should be expected from a purely comic 4-panel strip from a webcomic? You know, I said that it didn't work as a reference, not that it wasn't a reference. Of course it is, but it doesn't work, because it's intended to be humourous, but it isn't. You're not going to pull the "But it's not meant to be funny!!" card on me, are you? Because this comic was meant to be funny.

I'm not arguing with you on this, but I thought it worth mentioning this. Things that some people find funny are like things that some people find ironic; there's no universal agreement on what is funny/ironic and what isn't because of how subjective it is, and arguing about it is the epitome of pointlessness.

Pfhorrest wrote:Also, it's not a flamewar if the people involved aren't angry, and as I recall the bulk of people in that thread were being eminently reasonable. Reasonably-tempered, at least, if not reasonable in their crazy superstitious beliefs ;)

While I have neither the time nor the patience to read 30 pages of forum posts -- especially on a topic such as that -- I did glance over a few posts, and I read them as very angry. Like I said before, tone is very difficult to convey through text.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

User avatar
Saerain
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Saerain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:
Drooling Iguana wrote:Being aware of your tongue isn't so bad as long as you don't think about your breathing too much.

I was going to say this. Tongue awareness is no biggie, and goes away pretty easily, it's fun to be aware of your tongue. However noticing your breathing is irritating.


I don't understand either of them. How does one become unaware of these things? Perhaps I don't properly understand what awareness is in this case, but the way I'm understanding it seems pretty alien to me. For instance, breathing isn't exactly involuntary. We all consciously breathe while we're awake. It's not like the beating of your heart or the contractions of your intestines.

By ‘aware’ are we perhaps talking more about obsessive thought, worrying that breathes are improperly timed or something?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26765
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

Saerain wrote:For instance, breathing isn't exactly involuntary. We all consciously breathe while we're awake.
We are often conscious of breathing, and we are *capable* of consciously choosing when to breathe, but most of the thousands of breaths you take while you're awake each day are not conscious actions.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Kit.
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Kit. » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

I'm not sure why people might be afraid of being aware of their breath. Haven't you played some sport in school? Haven't you been told to synchronize your breath with something you were doing then?

User avatar
Saerain
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Saerain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Saerain wrote:For instance, breathing isn't exactly involuntary. We all consciously breathe while we're awake.
We are often conscious of breathing, and we are *capable* of consciously choosing when to breathe, but most of the thousands of breaths you take while you're awake each day are not conscious actions.

I understand that it's pretty reflexive, but I'm also usually conscious of it, and I know I'm going to take a breath before I do. It seems as conscious an action as anything else, just a very small part of my awareness and not something that requires a lot of attention, being so easy and subject to reflex. I don't ever feel as if I'm not in control of my breathing unless I'm seriously winded, panicking, or sleeping.

Like blinking or swallowing, and not like a heartbeat.

Meh.

Maybe I'm simply not aware that most of my breathing is unconscious precisely because it occurs unconsciously (or we're talking cross purposes by using these words differently), but in that case, I certainly don't understand why drawing attention to it would be unnerving, annoying, or otherwise uncomfortable.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26765
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

Sure, you're rarely "not in control" in the sense of being totally unable to do or avoid the action even if you really want to.

But I would be extremely surprised if any part of your conscious mind is actually thinking about every waking breath you take, or every blink, or where your tongue is constantly throughout a normal conversation. I mean, yes, you're conscious of speaking, but under normal circumstances you're probably not really conscious of where that requires you to put your mouthparts.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests