0288: "Elevator"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gazzaj

Postby gazzaj » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am UTC

wing wrote:
Peripatetic wrote:Every certificate of inspection I've ever seen on an elevator has always been expired for at least a year. I wouldn't want to try this trick.
The elevator in my office building has a sheet of paper in the slot for the inspection certificate telling us to go to security for a copy of the certificate. Security doesn't know wtf you're talking about if you ask for one. The elevator has outright FAILED no fewer than 8 times in the past 2 weeks, it doesn't even come CLOSE to it's marked weight limit (3500lbs marked. A weighted 2200lb skid DROPPED IT without even putting more than 50% of the skid's weight on. We had to manually muscle this 2200lb skid back out of the dangling elevator.... If I knew where an elevator with a certificate in it in this county were, I'd be calling the complaint number.

Also, the emergency phone was TORN OUT years ago, and never replaced. It's just two bare wires.

On the plus side, I assume you don't need to go to the gym any longer given that you now use the stairs?

Also, if you do get stuck, there are people around with plenty of experience to get you out.

e946

Postby e946 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:04 am UTC

You could also practice for any movies you might star in and go through the ceiling!

Mouffles

Postby Mouffles » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:43 am UTC

This comic is really cool. I wonder if we could generate a paradox by getting the elevator to open onto itself?
In the spirit of taking things too far - the 5x5x5x5x5 Rubik's Cube.

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:43 am UTC

wing wrote:
Peripatetic wrote:Every certificate of inspection I've ever seen on an elevator has always been expired for at least a year. I wouldn't want to try this trick.
The elevator in my office building has a sheet of paper in the slot for the inspection certificate telling us to go to security for a copy of the certificate. Security doesn't know wtf you're talking about if you ask for one. The elevator has outright FAILED no fewer than 8 times in the past 2 weeks, it doesn't even come CLOSE to it's marked weight limit (3500lbs marked. A weighted 2200lb skid DROPPED IT without even putting more than 50% of the skid's weight on. We had to manually muscle this 2200lb skid back out of the dangling elevator.... If I knew where an elevator with a certificate in it in this county were, I'd be calling the complaint number.

Also, the emergency phone was TORN OUT years ago, and never replaced. It's just two bare wires.

Just bring a girl you want to impress with you on the elevator (that doesn't know of it's malfunctions) and when it breaks down, use your manly skills to "save" her. She will be forever grateful. :wink:

predatormc

Postby predatormc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32 am UTC

gazzaj wrote:Looks a lot like he ended up in Brazil.

Or Llanrhidian Marsh, Wales.

Or pretty much any other salt marsh.

Okay, so I got carried away. But this is what I would try (although in hindsight probably in reverse order).

Hey. It would be cool.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:49 am UTC

Darcey wrote:Although... if you pressed a button for 'love', where would it actually take you? Would a hot member of whatever sex you're attracted to suddenly appear in the elevator with you?

What if the person who suddenly appeared was not of the gender you expected? :)

Great comic though. I think we may be starting a visual meme here (a la lolcats or "I'm in ur x, y'ing ur z"
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

moquel

Postby moquel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:15 am UTC

Mouffles wrote:This comic is really cool. I wonder if we could generate a paradox by getting the elevator to open onto itself?

That would be neat. Especially if the side of the elevator opposite the door had a mirror wall.

Though, honestle, I don't know if you need to make that much of an effort to generate a paradox with something that can let you travel to anywhere at any time..

Tychomonger

Postby Tychomonger » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:43 am UTC

The elevator should really be opening to the interior of the zeppelin, but that's not nearly as dramatic.

Klondike

Postby Klondike » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 pm UTC

I can't find a picture to supplement this, but I actually thought of the shell that forms around the world in Tales of Destiny.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

I. Don't. Get it!

I've failed as an xkcdian
=]

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:20 pm UTC

Honestly, its an interesting concept, but I wasn't all that impressed.

topham

Don't fiddle with elevators

Postby topham » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

ohnoesmilk wrote:
Just bring a girl you want to impress with you on the elevator (that doesn't know of it's malfunctions) and when it breaks down, use your manly skills to "save" her. She will be forever grateful. :wink:

Nice trick; but don't screw around with elevators. They have been known to decapitate people. (Literally).

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

Looooooooved it!

And I love all of yous guyses variations, too! :D
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

Nice comic. I'm impressed with this thread so far too. Love in an Elevator, sex on the beach(don't do it), various photoshops, and a geology lesson!

Although if I could time travel, I'm not sure I'd go back to 1998, like that one person.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a working zeppelin?
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

__Kit wrote:I. Don't. Get it!

Well Kit, you see...zeppelins areAWESOME!
Last edited by Sprocket on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
Well Kit, you see...zeplins are AWESOME!

As is creating your own destiny!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

McHell

Postby McHell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:00 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to build a working zeppelin?

Building doesn't seem to be so hard, running them economically seems to be the problem. See all kind of failed enterprises, like the giant shed close to Berlin (D) that was to house transatlantic and transeuropean freightlinerzeppelins (if that's the term).

To build, it's not much more than a scaled-up blimp --- simple metal structure, skin with small enough pores to contain whatever lighter-than-air gas you put there (Helium nowadays, Hydrogen has such a bad name since the Hindenburg), two ventilators at the back for movement and maybe one sideways at the front for manoeuvrability. Then height has to be regulated by letting gas in and out (re-compressing it), and removing ballast at departure plus anchoring at arrival.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Re: Don't fiddle with elevators

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

topham wrote:
ohnoesmilk wrote:

Nice trick; but don't screw around with elevators. They have been known to decapitate people. (Literally).

And the most depressing post of the year award goes to...

:wink:
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

I want a Zeppelin and I want to name it The Humanity. When people see it, they can point at it and say, "Oh! The Humanity!"

Sprocket
Seymour

Re: Don't fiddle with elevators

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:24 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
topham wrote:
ohnoesmilk wrote:

And the most depressing post of the year award goes to...

:wink:
hmm, we have a topham and a tankengine...are you two in cahouts?

My friend has an elevator in her building (no, she just lives there) that regularly chomps on her.
Last edited by Sprocket on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

jake

What?

Postby jake » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:25 pm UTC

The elevator is strange not because of the zeppelin, but because the button order goes from lowest to highest. Maybe it's a clue that we're in for an unusual journey.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:28 pm UTC

jake wrote:The elevator is strange not because of the zeppelin, but because the button order goes from lowest to highest. Maybe it's a clue that we're in for an unusual journey.
yeah I thought that was weird too, but I wasn't positive.

So where's your icon of Bach?

DustinCorreale wrote:the reverse direction of floors throws me off
the alt text is a bit a tragic

You know I do wonder if he was going for aerosmith or if he was just bein' his usual sappy self. I mean, it wouldn't be love IN the elevator, it would TAKE you to love...but you know, you can't hurry love.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

the elivators at this one building expire on halloween every year

predatormc

Postby predatormc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:I want a Zeppelin and I want to name it The Humanity. When people see it, they can point at it and say, "Oh! The Humanity!"

There is a very similar reason why some day I want to see a huge manatee.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.

keithc

Postby keithc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:14 pm UTC

thedancecmmndr wrote:Image

:-)

your elevator looks like a kitchen-diner?

entropomorphic

Postby entropomorphic » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

I was gonna say the area near Bethel, Alaska or Sakha, Siberia. Geography sure is crazy!

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:I want a Zeppelin and I want to name it The Humanity. When people see it, they can point at it and say, "Oh! The Humanity!"

Obligatory:
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:31 pm UTC

Tractor wrote:

Obligatory:
I'm obligated by oath and company contract to inform you that you are not protected under the Geek code for this pun infraction, and the law firm of Proximity & Smith will not represent you in this case...with out a whole lotta lucre.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
Tractor wrote:

Obligatory:
I'm obligated by oath and company contract to inform you that you are not protected under the Geek code for this pun infraction, and the law firm of Proximity & Smith will not represent you in this case...with out a whole lotta lucre.

Yeah, my bad.

If I had something besides paint and wasn't at work, I'd 'shop something else together.
Idea: Note to say 'your mom', final panel the 'grip' one from http://xkcd.com/c230.html (Alternate final panels acceptable, it was just the first one to come to mind).
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

BlueNowhere

Postby BlueNowhere » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

Darcey wrote:Sand is not a problem when you have your towel.

You should never forget your towel anywhere you go.

I'd really like to try sex on the beach at some point. Then again after reading a few of the comments in this thread it might not be such a good idea.

On Topic:
Great comic. I didn't even notice the reverse order of the Floors. It didn't jump out at me when I first looked at it.

I'm curious to find out what LOVE would be. My guess is that you'd simply be in love.

I also had to sig the alt text.
The Blue Nowhere

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:00 pm UTC

In my grandma's building, the "Down" button on her floor is a little loose, and can be fully rotated 360 degrees, so it could have two up buttons, and up and a sideways button, etc...
This space intentionally left blank.

Commander Bob

Postby Commander Bob » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

Wow... Only xkcd can take something epic and fairly entertaining and make it deep with only five words of alt text.

Love this comic.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

I recommend this for your next signature. +1 billion points.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:

Well Kit, you see...zeppelins areAWESOME!

Thankyou Sensei.
=]

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

aephoenix wrote:Mm, I dunno, love isn't really a place..

e.e.cummings wrote:love is a place
& through this place of
love move
(with brightness of peace)
all places

yes is a world
& in this world of
yes live
(skillfully curled)
all worlds

The alt-text sounds like it's been used before in xkcd. It just sounds very quintessentially xkcd-ish.

And this reminds me of the elevators on vacation. I mean, when I was with other teens on them. When everyone would pile on and we'd go over capacity. That time in the elevator full of other people, when this one guy and I were alone carrying fruit. The times we'd get on and just go randomly up or down, the times we'd wait for one without otre people, the times we'd all blast different music on our iPods...
I miss them.

I want to alter this comic. I'll think of something soon.
[insert quote here]

McHell

Postby McHell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:00 pm UTC

curious and questioning wrote:And this reminds me of the elevators on vacation.

Wow, is there a place where elevators go on vacation? I'd like to be there! This beach with hundreds of elevators, you can hop from one to the other, check out some floors in the building belonging to the new elevator, go back to the beach and hop on another... <stimpy-voice> Joy!

jonas

why does noone ever set the subject of posts?

Postby jonas » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

I'm quite sure no elevator here _don't_ have a certificate of inspection at all. And yes, they often get stuck. Most older elevators (the non-automatic ones), however, have a long text about how to operate the elevator and who can and cannot operate it (only people over 18 years, or only certified elevator operators).

However, I often look at the certificates on fire extinguishers, and they are always expired, often by more than five years.

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

McHell wrote:
curious and questioning wrote:And this reminds me of the elevators on vacation.

Wow, is there a place where elevators go on vacation? I'd like to be there! This beach with hundreds of elevators, you can hop from one to the other, check out some floors in the building belonging to the new elevator, go back to the beach and hop on another... <stimpy-voice> Joy!

The elevators that I saw when I was on vacation.

On an unrelated note, pardon my lack of knowledge, but how/where would I find a place to host my parody image?
[insert quote here]

predatormc

Postby predatormc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:55 pm UTC

I thought about what would happen if you left the button for other people to press.

curious and questioning wrote:On an unrelated note, pardon my lack of knowledge, but how/where would I find a place to host my parody image?

I'm using photobucket. Imageshack can be acceptable for temporary things.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

Tractor wrote:Note to say 'your mom', final panel the 'grip' one from http://xkcd.com/c230.html (Alternate final panels acceptable, it was just the first one to come to mind).
HAMILTONIAN IS one of the BEST of XKCD EVAR! (next to "When you die in Canada...!")

Also, I never find my images work with consistancy when I host them from anywhere accept g2Img.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”