0288: "Elevator"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

predatormc wrote:
curious and questioning wrote:On an unrelated note, pardon my lack of knowledge, but how/where would I find a place to host my parody image?

I'm using photobucket. Imageshack can be acceptable for temporary things.

Thank you!

this is my hundredth post! again, nobody cares
[insert quote here]

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

curious and questioning wrote:this is my hundredth post! again, nobody cares

dude, one of the best uses of the 100th post yet. Nice work.
also, xs.to is handy for img hosting too.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

gazzaj wrote:
wing wrote:
Peripatetic wrote:Every certificate of inspection I've ever seen on an elevator has always been expired for at least a year. I wouldn't want to try this trick.
The elevator in my office building has a sheet of paper in the slot for the inspection certificate telling us to go to security for a copy of the certificate. Security doesn't know wtf you're talking about if you ask for one. The elevator has outright FAILED no fewer than 8 times in the past 2 weeks, it doesn't even come CLOSE to it's marked weight limit (3500lbs marked. A weighted 2200lb skid DROPPED IT without even putting more than 50% of the skid's weight on. We had to manually muscle this 2200lb skid back out of the dangling elevator.... If I knew where an elevator with a certificate in it in this county were, I'd be calling the complaint number.

Also, the emergency phone was TORN OUT years ago, and never replaced. It's just two bare wires.

On the plus side, I assume you don't need to go to the gym any longer given that you now use the stairs?

Also, if you do get stuck, there are people around with plenty of experience to get you out.
Unfortunately, for all the times the elevator has failed, it has never had a person in it. That would get it refurbished VERY quickly. And the worst bit about this elevator is that one of my offices is in the basement, and it's the only 2-way access (I can come down the stairs and badge in, but going UP the stairs, you cannot exit into the building, and have to exit to the outside, and never badge out (legally, you need to be able to just walk out the fire escapes without anything impeding your progress). Meaning that use of the elevator is compulsory unless you want to get flagged on the security audits because you keep badging in but never out. It's usually a quick explanation, but having to walk the half mile to the building with the security office is.... Eh. Not cool.

And as for impressing girls, there's not much impressive about slowly sinking at about 3x the normal rate of progress down a 3-floor hydraulic elevator shaft, and then ripping the doors open manually to find that your feet are about 2 feet below the floor level (that's maximum sink, if the entire hydraulic system drains)

Even if the whole hydro system catastrophically failed, you're only falling at most 30 feet. In my case, it'd be a massive 15 foot drop from 1 to B, since I'm never on floor 2. But a slow leak is more likely than a catastrophic failure (especially since the pressures aren't high enough to deal with a mere 1-ton load)

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

Darcey wrote:I was also reminded of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

This is a really awesome comic, the idea of a button that takes you anywhere. Although... if you pressed a button for 'love', where would it actually take you? Would a hot member of whatever sex you're attracted to suddenly appear in the elevator with you? Personally I'd label the button 'hot sex on a deserted beach'. If I had enough paper. XD

Note: "Love" and "Sex" intersect but are not equivalent sets. (And the relative complement of "Love" in "Sex" is as interesting in its own way as the relative complement of "Sex" in "Love". :D )

zenmark

elevator failings

Postby zenmark » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

In my experience, it doesn't matter how well you can force the doors of your broken elevator apart, because the outer doors are locked, and are usually a few feet off so you wouldn't be able to get good leverage anyways.
This I learned twice, once trying to go take my math final and another time trying to move out of my dorm.
Incidentally both times were in the elevator that spent the entire year without a cover on the car's electronics but only broke once they came in and covered them up. I suspect that the random wires hanging out of it were the only things keeping it running.

wing
the /b/slayer

Re: elevator failings

Postby wing » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

zenmark wrote:In my experience, it doesn't matter how well you can force the doors of your broken elevator apart, because the outer doors are locked, and are usually a few feet off so you wouldn't be able to get good leverage anyways.
This I learned twice, once trying to go take my math final and another time trying to move out of my dorm.
Incidentally both times were in the elevator that spent the entire year without a cover on the car's electronics but only broke once they came in and covered them up. I suspect that the random wires hanging out of it were the only things keeping it running.
Outer doors? Lock? HAHAHAHA. I've been leaning against the outer doors on this thing and they move under that miniscule amount of pressure.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

lihan161051 wrote:
Darcey wrote:I was also reminded of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

This is a really awesome comic, the idea of a button that takes you anywhere. Although... if you pressed a button for 'love', where would it actually take you? Would a hot member of whatever sex you're attracted to suddenly appear in the elevator with you? Personally I'd label the button 'hot sex on a deserted beach'. If I had enough paper. XD

Note: "Love" and "Sex" intersect but are not equivalent sets. (And the relative complement of "Love" in "Sex" is as interesting in its own way as the relative complement of "Sex" in "Love". :D )

Well, yeah, but I've already been in love.

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Mouffles wrote:This comic is really cool. I wonder if we could generate a paradox by getting the elevator to open onto itself?

If two TARDISes can materialize around each other, I suppose anything is possible .. :)

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

A certain album-a-day came to mind when I read this one. Yes, zeppelins are awesome.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Rakshasa

Postby Rakshasa » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:38 am UTC

curious and questioning wrote:http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/questioningbeing/xkcd_elevatorlove.jpg

I was expecting it to end like this:

drewshorkey

Postby drewshorkey » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:59 am UTC

i notice that there is a definite zeppelin trend going on here

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:34 am UTC

New meme=zeppelin? I figured zeppelins were too classy to become a meme.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

shill

Postby shill » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:43 am UTC

aephoenix wrote:Mm, I dunno, love isn't really a place..

Emily Haines would beg to differ.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:12 am UTC

Zeppelins aren't a meme, they're frigging zeppelins.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

entropomorphic

Postby entropomorphic » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:13 am UTC

I knew this was a bit familiar... took a little poking around to find out why though...

Comic 73

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 am UTC

curious and questioning wrote:
predatormc wrote:
curious and questioning wrote:On an unrelated note, pardon my lack of knowledge, but how/where would I find a place to host my parody image?

I'm using photobucket. Imageshack can be acceptable for temporary things.

Thank you!

this is my hundredth post! again, nobody cares
You are my GOD!

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:28 am UTC

wing wrote:
curious and questioning wrote:some stuff I wrote, and the parody version I made
You are my GOD!

Why, thank you. I hope you don't mind if I add it to my signature.

People on this thread are nice. Well, except for the one with the guy being pushed out of the zeppelin. But that was funny, so it's okay.
[insert quote here]

bpms

Postby bpms » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:47 am UTC

BlueNowhere wrote:
Darcey wrote:Sand is not a problem when you have your towel.

You should never forget your towel anywhere you go.

You never know when that auxiliary towel shall come in handy.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:17 pm UTC

@Rakshasa :lol:

That's the sequel.
Last edited by bookishbunny on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

_jameshales

Postby _jameshales » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

iabervon wrote:Sorry, Randall, but that approach is also useless here.

Since nobody else is saying it, I thought I'd say I really appreciated that comment. It was awesome.

aran

Postby aran » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

Um.

Maybe the elevator was in the Zeppelin to begin with. If you attached a note saying "Love", you'd just end up in the zeppelin.

Alone.

FOR ALL ETERNITY!

*FUN RUINER STRIKES AGAIN!*

Rockapotamus

Postby Rockapotamus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Here's a little something I whipped up in 5 minutes:
This is the end of the post.

Annirak

Postby Annirak » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

you scare me.

Azquelt

Postby Azquelt » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

curious and questioning wrote:And this reminds me of the elevators on vacation. I mean, when I was with other teens on them. When everyone would pile on and we'd go over capacity. That time in the elevator full of other people, when this one guy and I were alone carrying fruit. The times we'd get on and just go randomly up or down, the times we'd wait for one without otre people, the times we'd all blast different music on our iPods...
I miss them.

Congratulations, you now have me thinking about the elevators I rode in when I was on holiday, the times there was a whole group of us and we all piled in anyway, the times when 400 people were all getting on the same set of coaches and we couldn't get on and had to take the stairs, the times we took the stairs just for kicks (Real back stairs, reminded me of the shinra building in FFVII, was anyone else crazy enough to take the stairs?), the time we got into an awkward conversation with some business man (8 floors never took so long), the time there was about 10 people all crammed against the walls around a bellboy with a luggage trolley.

Good times

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:48 am UTC

Wait a minute, isn't this comic a rip-off of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator? Or am I misremembering?

Phasic

Postby Phasic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:44 am UTC

I love how the whimsical comics just make all these possibilities bloom in your mind.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not reason themselves into.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:05 am UTC

I love how so much of the discussion came from not the comic itself, but instead the alt-text. It turned the comic from just another hilarious xkcd comic to one of the deeper ones in the comic.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:17 am UTC

I seem to be in the minority, I think if you went to love you'd just be overcome by emotion, rather than find your soulmate. (If you believe in one)

"Soulmate's room" would be an interesting one, but could have some problems. Especially if they were in there at the time and were scared by a person in an elevator suddenly appearing in their room. Then again if they're the soulmate of an xkcdian they'd probably think it was pretty cool.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Holypotato

Postby Holypotato » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:12 am UTC

McHell wrote:
space_raptor wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to build a working zeppelin?

Building doesn't seem to be so hard, running them economically seems to be the problem. See all kind of failed enterprises, like the giant shed close to Berlin (D) that was to house transatlantic and transeuropean freightlinerzeppelins (if that's the term).

I can't help but throw in some local trivia: in the last election, one of the candidates for one of the "fringe" parties made making London (ON) an airship terminus for the world one of his promises...

http://www.lfpress.com/cgi-bin/publish. ... =elections

QuestionablyLegalManeuver

Postby QuestionablyLegalManeuver » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:Link works just fine. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

That made me laugh out loud.
fn(int)2X,X,10,13

Quite possibly the world's first integral cliche.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

QuestionablyLegalManeuver wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:Link works just fine. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

That made me laugh out loud.

That's 'cause I'm made of a careful blend of win, magic and more win.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

DannyboyO1

Postby DannyboyO1 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

Yanno, if you try it with "love"... you might get cupid's waiting room. Or the venus de milo (goddess of what? Oh, right!), although, hey, could be good to end up in her arms.

But don't try it if you play tennis.
There is no signature that still seems witty 50 posts later

noonie

Postby noonie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

i just like how the floors are listed upside down from how elevators usually have them and that zeppelin is under everything.

maybe it's journey to the center of the earth.
anything i'd like to be remembered for saying can't be said to everyone.

me_lkjhgfdsa

Postby me_lkjhgfdsa » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:20 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:New meme=zeppelin? I figured zeppelins were too classy to become a meme.

"Let's try it with love!" Has to be a candidate for meme-ship.
Brigadier Terence Hugh Clarke, CBE (17 February 1904 – 26 May 1992) was a British army officer and politician.

Haso_Tendah

Postby Haso_Tendah » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:49 pm UTC

It didn't work you guys... ;_;

Anoria

Postby Anoria » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:00 am UTC

Took me a while to remember to take my camera into work to document the modification I made to the phones:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/A ... G_1054.jpg

The important bit:

colt45joe

Re: "Elevator" Discussion

Postby colt45joe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:27 am UTC

will this get me banned? meh.

i made this animation of this comic, because i liked it.

http://media.putfile.com/XKCD-Elevator-Animation

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: "Elevator" Discussion

Postby ConMan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:56 am UTC

colt45joe wrote:will this get me banned? meh.

i made this animation of this comic, because i liked it.

http://media.putfile.com/XKCD-Elevator-Animation

That was pretty cool, actually. I'd like to have seen the title text worked in there too, somehow.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

cooldude76
Location: North Side of Chicago, Illinios, United States, North America, The Western Hemisphere, Earth,

Re:

Postby cooldude76 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:54 am UTC

Commander Bob wrote:Wow... Only xkcd can take something epic and fairly entertaining and make it deep with only five words of alt text.

Love this comic.

Maybe when you try for love (alt: Luffs) you just get XKCD in a compacted, highly chewable form???
"... And How are Things in the Hallway..."
-- A Clockwork Orange.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”