0289: "Alone"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Alan

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

I got a little teary eyed.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

Darcey wrote:I'm a girl, I'm kind of pretty, I'm a programmer, I would /love/ to have a long conversation about programming or literature or various other geeky things, but... no one ever seems to want to.

What I find odd is that even though I like stuff like programming and such, if I had a girlfriend I'd be all "ZOMG I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND" and none of this would interest me at all at that point.

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

Omniferous wrote:It's really simple. All you need is an elevator with a blank button, some tape, a bit of paper and a writing utensil. Quick, try it with "Love".
I was wondering if this was a follow up...

astarr wrote:ah, you know what's super romantic and geeky at the same time, and has always been both romantic and geeky....astronomy.
Yeah, but it can easily get expensive and there aren't that many other people into it... :(
Why do you assume that I exist?

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

ZerothRoot wrote:Personally I like A027413 the best so far.

But how do you render all those zeroes? Really long pauses? Add one to all the numbers?

Now we're veering dangerously close to needing a standards document in the pre-nup.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Banksy

Postby Banksy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

That's truly beautiful to be honest.
The romance, and uber-geekiness.
Bonus points for noticing the Fibonacci sequence before the final strip :)

I've only ever actually met one geek girl, and we were together for a year. *sighs* It's much fun being able to discuss scientific ideas, and we were always 'fighting' for the top marks in the class.
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

astarr

xkcd dating service

Postby astarr » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

i'm gonna pretend this forum is the xkcd personal section. here's my ad:

23 year old artist/architect girl seeking low key relationship w/ smart geeky guy who enjoys physics, religion, hiking, folk punk, and sci-fi B movies in which backpaking hippies have to take off their pants to travel to the future. MUST LOVE XKCD.
You show me a child who is not on a head trip all the the time, and I 'll show you a child who is DEAD INSIDE.

Sprocket
Seymour

Re: with apologies to Rick Springfield

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

fibonacci wrote:You know, I wish that I had XKCD's girl
I wish that I had XKCD's girl
I want XKCD's girl
Where can I find a woman like that
Like XKCD's girl
I wish that I had XKCD's girl
I want, I want XKCD's girl
And I'd love to see the geek dating service via XKCD.

SWM seeks woman who enjoys fractals, chaos theory, quantum physics, and translingual humor.
Enjoys giving and receiving massages in the coding style of your choice.

or something to that effect.
Incedentally I'm under the impression he is infact single. Though, I've been known to lie.

astarr wrote:23 year old artist/architect girl seeking low key relationship w/ smart geeky guy who enjoys physics, religion, hiking, folk punk, and sci-fi B movies in which backpaking hippies have to take off their pants to travel to the future. MUST LOVE XKCD.
What's folk punk?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

nano

Postby nano » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:So, while there was a point to this comic, I'm surprised no one has been as amazed as I was (or rather, no one has expressed this amazement) by the beautiful portrayal of various sexual acts as carried out in a loving nature by stick figures! WOW! It may help that I just finsished a rather warm walk to work and the temperature and stickiness of my skin has set the appropriate mood, but none the less. The first pannel is amazing, the way they're leaning their heads on eachothers, and the way her hair is hanging over her face, and yes she is doing what you think she's doing. The second pannel, just as awesome and finally, the third pannel, the way he's got his hand on her chin! :-) Excellent job...er...no pun intended...I mean Randall did this all really well. Damn it, I had to go and ruin the integrity of my appreciation of this by leavign that pun there....

i thought i was the only one who got hot and bothered by the stick figure drawings. the whole time i went from panel to panel thinking 'my goodness, these two are ANIMALS. I LIKE IT.'

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

nano wrote:i thought i was the only one who got hot and bothered by the stick figure drawings. the whole time i went from panel to panel thinking 'my goodness, these two are ANIMALS. I LIKE IT.'
:lol:
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

petsfed

Re: xkcd dating service

Postby petsfed » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

astarr wrote:i'm gonna pretend this forum is the xkcd personal section. here's my ad:

23 year old artist/architect girl seeking low key relationship w/ smart geeky guy who enjoys physics, religion, hiking, folk punk, and sci-fi B movies in which backpaking hippies have to take off their pants to travel to the future. MUST LOVE XKCD.

The problem is half of your target audience all simultaneously clicked your profile wondering where you lived. The other half, jaded geeks that they are, assumed you were on the coast opposite theirs, and didn't bother clicking.

/I know I clicked

SuperCow

Postby SuperCow » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

astarr wrote:i'm gonna pretend this forum is the xkcd personal section. here's my ad:

They invented a time machine that only works if they aren't wearing pants?

What is this movie and WHY HAVEN'T I SEEN IT????

oblivimous

Postby oblivimous » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

TigerX wrote:Just another reminder that the only people who ever understood me are either dead or dating other guys...

THANKS AGAIN RANDALL

*goes to cry for a bit*

That reminds me of a country song I heard once, "every guy I've ever loved is married, gay, or dead"

I'm not making this up. The next line is "there's a ring on his finger or he's light on his feet or there's a tombstone on his head"

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:28 pm UTC

Dude, geeks are SO emo! (and so are old country musicians).

Notch

Postby Notch » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

astarr wrote:MUST LOVE XKCD.

My, my, how I wish the internet was real. I've never met a girl who likes XKCD, let alone one who REQUIRES love thereof.

ArmonSore

Postby ArmonSore » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:What I find odd is that even though I like stuff like programming and such, if I had a girlfriend I'd be all "ZOMG I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND" and none of this would interest me at all at that point.

No girl is worth giving up on your dreams.
I was useful Yesterday.
-Paul McCartney.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:35 pm UTC

I think he just meant they'd slip by the way side due to too much nookie.

ArmonSore

Postby ArmonSore » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

Probably true. But that's always a fear of mine: that having a girlfriend/wife will interfere with my studies. My other fear is that I'll be so obsessed with my studies that I'll drive my hypothetical wife away from me.
I was useful Yesterday.

-Paul McCartney.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

ArmonSore wrote:Probably true. But that's always a fear of mine: that having a girlfriend/wife will interfere with my studies. My other fear is that I'll be so obsessed with my studies that I'll drive my hypothetical wife away from me.
fear is the mind f***er

kvv_1986

Postby kvv_1986 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

one of the most romantic comic strips ever.. sigh

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

Fibonacci Numbers are the only math I was ever able to get my ex to understand. And she was only interested when I gave her a copy of one of the papers I wrote using them draw spirals, and even then I don't think she understood them and was just happy I gave her something creative she could brag to her friends about.

Oh how I long for a companion that would appreciate them on the same level I do.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

BlueNowhere

Postby BlueNowhere » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:I pretty much only date people I've been friends with for awhile first. I can't imagine why anyone would want to date someone they just met, unless they were very lonely and had no other opportunities. Occasionally you do meet someone and have an amazing all night conversation with them, and then you probably start dating thim in a week or something, but generally speaking I feel like I really need to get to know someone before dating them, THEN the all night conversation, THEN the making out at 3 am.... it's always 3 am.

I've always thought that good relationships come from good friendships. I couldn't see myself just randomly starting a relationship with someone I didn't know. That was until a little over a year ago, when exactly this happened. I met someone, we skipped right past being friends and started dating. It didn't last very long because it turned out that we were very different people.

This just reinforces the idea of being friends with someone first. That's how my current/future relationship is going and I like it.

I'd like to know someone before dating them so that I will know of there are any MAJOR differences that cannot be worked out.

zealo wrote:i noticed the Fibonacci sequence before i read the last frame
*+1 nerdiness* :)

I noticed this, too. :)

Sig worthy:
CatProximity wrote:Nothing psychotic just sort of like "your bush hair keeps reminding me of my mom!" stuff like that.
The Blue Nowhere

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

BlueNowhere wrote:Sig worthy:
CatProximity wrote:Nothing psychotic just sort of like "your bush hair keeps reminding me of my mom!" stuff like that.

AWE! I feel special! (extacy makes EVERYTHING feel special!) My mom was black Irish (that's Irish with a spanish influence) so she had thick, curly black hair.

Anyway....Yeah, the first guy I dated I'd seen around and thought was really pretty for many months, so I jumped a bit fast. He was a fruity hippy and smoked a lot of pot it turned out. It lasted two weeks. The last guy I dated I knew a little bit on line a year or so before dating, but only for two weeks in RL. We are SO ALIKE and yet he is SO INSANE. Anyway, I loves him (like a brother I used to f***) and we are still friends.

bpms

Postby bpms » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

rik wrote:
ShadowLurker wrote:meh, this comic is a bit too unrealistic.

As opposed to the jumping out of a crashing satellite on a bicycle?

This comic is even less realistic than writing zeppelin as an elevator floor and ariving there.

BlueNowhere

Postby BlueNowhere » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
BlueNowhere wrote:Sig worthy:

AWE! I feel special! (extacy makes EVERYTHING feel special!) My mom was black Irish (that's Irish with a spanish influence) so she had thick, curly black hair.

Anyway....Yeah, the first guy I dated I'd seen around and thought was really pretty for many months, so I jumped a bit fast. He was a fruity hippy and smoked a lot of pot it turned out. It lasted two weeks. The last guy I dated I knew a little bit on line a year or so before dating, but only for two weeks in RL. We are SO ALIKE and yet he is SO INSANE. Anyway, I loves him (like a brother I used to f***) and we are still friends.

Ha. The last part is pretty much the situation I'm in. I've known the girl online for a couple of years and I've visited her twice for a total of about 4 weeks. She'll visit me for a couple of weeks at the end of this month. I can't wait. :)
The Blue Nowhere

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

bpms wrote:
rik wrote:

This comic is even less realistic than writing zeppelin as an elevator floor and ariving there.
Man! Listen to John Darnielle...You've just got to have a little FAITH!

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:07 pm UTC

I am totally going to make a geek dating site. I just need to learn a bit of web programming and then I'll be set.

I keep seeing people on this forum talking about how they see words in their mind, or times. I see everything in algorithms. XD Usually I block it out in daily conversation or I find myself saying things like 'You dot status dot equals "awesome".' out loud without thinking. But once I caught up on what I missed of this topic while I was asleep, I started picturing the algorithm for this dating site. And I am SO going to do it.

Also anyone is welcome to PM me. Can't remember if I said it before but I'm in the middle of New Jersey. I like ice cream, taking walks in isolated places, and watching cute boys program.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

I am totally going to make a geek dating site. I just need to learn a bit of web programming and then I'll be set.

I keep seeing people on this forum talking about how they see words in their mind, or times. I see everything in algorithms. XD Usually I block it out in daily conversation or I find myself saying things like 'You dot status dot equals "awesome".' out loud without thinking. But once I caught up on what I missed of this topic while I was asleep, I started picturing the algorithm for this dating site. And I am SO going to do it.

Also anyone is welcome to PM me. Can't remember if I said it before but I'm in the middle of New Jersey. I like ice cream, taking walks in isolated places, and watching cute boys program.

Edit: Gah, double post, computer being strange. How do I delete one of these?

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

Daego wrote:You could always convert to the dark side. There are plenty of intelligent gay men out there. ;-)

Convert? I've always been on the dark side. :-D

astarr

Postby astarr » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

yeah i'm new to forums and i don't know how to properly quote people yet...

catproximity: folk punk, like this bike is a pipe bomb, billy bragg and wilco, against me!, even the pogues would count. the music that goes well with anarchy hearts.

cowpower: it's a peter fonda movie called "idaho transfer". it's only enjoyable if you have some freinds to watch it with MST3K style.

others: i'm from nh. east coast represent!
You show me a child who is not on a head trip all the the time, and I 'll show you a child who is DEAD INSIDE.

J

Postby J » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

Where did the pillow come from?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

petsfed wrote:The problem is half of your target audience all simultaneously clicked your profile wondering where you lived. The other half, jaded geeks that they are, assumed you were on the coast opposite theirs, and didn't bother clicking.

/I know I clicked

I just checked the "location" field under her avatar.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

foolscap

please let this happen...

Postby foolscap » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

bpms wrote:
rik wrote:

God, I hope not. Please let this happen to at least one person out there...

Loved the comic; more so than the last few, although the elevator one (http://xkcd.com/c288.html) was a good one too... must remember to try that next time I'm in an elevator with a girl I like...

I wonder how many XKCD readers are around me... is there something like an 'official' wear-an-XKCD-shirt day? there should be, so we can actually see that others like us are out there..
"Cease, Man, to mourn, to weep, to wail; enjoy thy shining hour of sun. We dance along Death's icy brink, but is the dance less full of fun?" -Sir R. F. Burton, The Kasidah of Haji Abdu El Yezdi.

TRM

Postby TRM » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

I'm kind of jealous that everyone but me seems to be touched by this comic.

*sigh* I'm guessing my sexuality is the cause, seeing how even a gay guy can be as geeky as me.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

TRM wrote:*sigh* I'm guessing my sexuality is the cause, seeing how even a gay guy can be as geeky as me.

Well, it touched me... I tend to just think of them as a loving couple (regardless of Randall's gender assignments).

petsfed

Postby petsfed » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:
petsfed wrote:The problem is half of your target audience all simultaneously clicked your profile wondering where you lived. The other half, jaded geeks that they are, assumed you were on the coast opposite theirs, and didn't bother clicking.

/I know I clicked

I just checked the "location" field under her avatar.

Clearly I'm focusing on the wrong things. Also, New Hampshire's a big place.

I'm just kidding on that last part.
There was a time when you could put it out of your mind, leave it all behind
There was a time
That time is gone --Uncle Tupelo

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

TRM wrote:I'm kind of jealous that everyone but me seems to be touched by this comic.
*sigh* I'm guessing my sexuality is the cause, seeing how even a gay guy can be as geeky as me.
I've known some PRETTY geeky gay guys. Mostly into fantasy novels and such. Some into chemistry.

foolscap wrote:I wonder how many XKCD readers are around me... is there something like an 'official' wear-an-XKCD-shirt day? there should be, so we can actually see that others like us are out there..
Excellent idea! You call the date, we'll follow!

BlueNowhere

Postby BlueNowhere » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
foolscap wrote:I wonder how many XKCD readers are around me... is there something like an 'official' wear-an-XKCD-shirt day? there should be, so we can actually see that others like us are out there..
Excellent idea! You call the date, we'll follow!

Seconded. (That reminds me... I really should order a T-Shirt and a Map, and such...)
The Blue Nowhere

rmb

Postby rmb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

I used to think that people like me just didn't exist (female math nerd here). It's somewhere between heartwarming and disturbing how well xkcd typically describes my life. I went to nerd camp and math camp in high school, where I met a grand total of two people as geeky as me (sci-fi and gaming groups in college were better, though). Ended up dating one of them (a fellow math person) for a while, which wasn't as paradisical as a lot of posters seem to think. There's a such thing as too much compatability... My ex-girlfriend wasn't a huge nerd herself, but she definitely appreciated nerdiness. I introduced her to xkcd, and she really got into it. She especially liked "Hamiltonian. :D

TRM wrote:*sigh* I'm guessing my sexuality is the cause, seeing how even a gay guy can be as geeky as me.

Yeah, it seems that math departments are disturbingly straight. OTOH, most of my CS geek friends are gay, or at least not straight.

CatProximity wrote:I pretty much only date people I've been friends with for awhile first. I can't imagine why anyone would want to date someone they just met, unless they were very lonely and had no other opportunities.

I mostly agree, but dating good friends can be rough. My ex-girlfriend and I had been close friends for years, and since we broke up we've barely talked. It kind of sucks. :(

torritorri

Postby torritorri » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

*sigh* oh, imaginary-xkcd-main-character, how i wish i had your life...

I'm not exactly a nerd per se, I'm just better than some at understanding math concepts...I'm also in a great relationship with a girl who isn't exactly the best with math, you know what I'm talking about? Still, this comic makes me wish i could meet some more geek girls...oh well...what do i expect, i live in southern california...

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:12 am UTC

richlayers wrote:I'm always impressed by how much can be expressed with stick figures; I totally agree with:
CatProximity wrote:I'm surprised no one has been as amazed as I was (or rather, no one has expressed this amazement) by the beautiful portrayal of various sexual acts as carried out in a loving nature by stick figures!

Look up the "GroupSex" font and install it on your favorite computer. It's a nice illustration of what can be done with stick figures. (But it doesn't really work too well at less than about 18 points; you lose most of the details in the stick figures' bodies.)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”