0289: "Alone"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

spiderqueen

Postby spiderqueen » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:14 am UTC

My boyfriend once traced out equations on my back in a somewhat-intimate moment. So I guess I should be feeling smug right now, but... instead I'm just worrying because I didn't recognise them right away; clearly that makes me not geeky enough. Oh god, he's going to leave me for a girl with more xkcd-cred. *irrational panic*

(and yes, I am off to the intro thread now. Hi, everyone!)

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:00 am UTC

My boyfriend wouldn't recognize most equations if they smacked him in the face.

Granted, I didn't know those rings were the gonads of the jellyfish, either.

Yet we're made for each other. ^^ Do not worry, a lack of a specific geek cred does not push the good geeky people away. In a sense, it may be more to talk about because it'll expand the knowledge base of both sides.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

missingglassmarbles

Postby missingglassmarbles » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:36 am UTC

Oh how I long for the nerd of my own.

Sadly I really see myself on the other side of the fence from some of you. About 2 months ago my relationship ended on good terms, and he promise was to go back to being friends. I really thought that was possible, as I thought since before we started going out in the first place. But we haven't seen or talked to each other in weeks (normal, I know).

Yesterday however I felt intense anger running through me because I came under the realisation that he, and friends of ours, no longer refer to me as "my/our/his friend"... I'm "his ex". It makes me feel as if I've been lied to the whole 2 years we went out, and the 6 months we started hanging out first, when I thought we were friends. But the thing is, it's not like that's a crime. He will never know how upset this makes me, not unless some friends of mine sell me out. A friend would tell him how she feels. But I don't feel like a friend anymore.

Anyway, I digress. Let the point be simply, if you start friends, be friends AND significant others. If you break up, but want to be friends, be friends. Don't make someone feel like they lost you as a friend, AND the memory of your friendship, when a relationship ends.

Beautiful comic. As for myself, I love to talk philosophy after midnight. Math is neat to think about, but it's still sometimes a lot of hard work for me. Language, that's awesome. Science is great.

Flowers: a dime a dozen. (or more if they're long-stemmed roses)
Chocolates: $10 (depending on quality)
Compliments on beauty: not much, any half-wit can do it.
Comparing finding the girl/boy you love to how you would feel if you found the great unifying theory that Einstein himself could not: Priceless.

Some things, money can't buy. For everything else, there's Mastercard.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:43 am UTC

spiderqueen wrote:My boyfriend once traced out equations on my back in a somewhat-intimate moment. So I guess I should be feeling smug right now, but... instead I'm just worrying because I didn't recognise them right away; clearly that makes me not geeky enough. Oh god, he's going to leave me for a girl with more xkcd-cred. *irrational panic*

(and yes, I am off to the intro thread now. Hi, everyone!)
I hear that. I also hear the tracing equations on your back in an intimate moment. I liked that kind of thing, when sexy math stuff would come up at times like that with my ex. It really did feel wonderful. I do miss him sometimes.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

scwizard

Re: xkcd dating service

Postby scwizard » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:13 am UTC

astarr wrote:i'm gonna pretend this forum is the xkcd personal section. here's my ad:

23 year old artist/architect girl seeking low key relationship w/ smart geeky guy who enjoys physics, religion, hiking, folk punk, and sci-fi B movies in which backpaking hippies have to take off their pants to travel to the future. MUST LOVE XKCD.

@All the xkcd girls who want to post personals: You should mention where you live. Like not just the state, the specifics.
Last edited by scwizard on Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~= scwizard =~

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:23 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:The last guy I dated I knew a little bit on line a year or so before dating, but only for two weeks in RL. We are SO ALIKE and yet he is SO INSANE. Anyway, I loves him (like a brother I used to f***) and we are still friends.

Woah woah woah!?! Insane is a bad thing???
~= scwizard =~

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Yes, there are pretty excellent girls out there. I don't think the implication was even that she -was- a geeky girl, just that she was willing to do things she knew he would appreciate.

Although there is a different angle of the comic that hasn't been discussed much, but which resonated with me the most; that of detachment. That little observer in the back of the head that is always aware of what's going on in a sort of dispassionate, overlooking kind of way... even when in an intimate moment, there's still that bit of me (and Randall, and maybe some of you) that isn't quite into it, but is thinking of other things and watching what's happening.

It's a little disconcerting.
"Materialism and vanity are tools of youth and fear. We'll grow up. " Sarah Lyons

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:26 am UTC

I'm going to have to agree with a lot of people here, and say that this comic made me feel incredibly lonely. It sucks not being in a relationship.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:31 am UTC

Yeah, when I first saw this it hit me pretty hard. The ending almost didn't matter as much as the complete punch in the stomach it gave me, being reminded of that feeling. Always at the edge, never quite part of things, feeling enclosed within myself. According to Wikipedia it's called 'derealization' or 'depersonalization' but I personally tend to think of it as 'out of phase'.

meta

Postby meta » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:01 am UTC

I once knit my (ex-)boyfriend a Möbius scarf, and we would send each other long emails in symbolic logic...alas, the boy I am now semi-courting is interesting but not quite geeky enough for me, I think.

I am mostly just waiting for physics class to start in the fall, and if I see any xkcd shirts, I will pounce. (In my usual socially awkward manner.)

"Sorry if this is weird, but, do you like flying kites?"

noonie

Postby noonie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:16 am UTC

everyone's a little bit alone and also lonely all the time. it's what keeps you needing other people.
anything i'd like to be remembered for saying can't be said to everyone.

Angry Rooster

Postby Angry Rooster » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:10 am UTC

I have an over-analytical mind, mostly it is enjoyable, but sometimes it is a source of stress(such as the start of new relationships... so many plausible possibilities to consider!)

Unlike the comic though, I have gotten fairly good at ignoring it during intimate moments. Admittedly, I did have to stop playing Puzzle Quest because I kept mentally picturing various board layouts while having sex. A similar thing happened with Puzzle Pirates.

I should point out that it wasn't only during sex, while I played these games I often found myself playing out little board combinations in my head. However I never really had the depth of correlation with other actions as I did while engaged in sexual acts.

There is something very surreal about visualizing a sailing puzzle, then forcing yourself to focus on the naked girl, then realizing that this is clearly more of a bilging puzzle situation. I never managed to have an orgasm coincide with a board clearing though...

What was really odd was that in those moments of passion, my subconscious would convince me that certain colors of blocks matched up with the current moment. It was very similar to the way that things which are otherwise nonsensical are obvious truths while dreaming. I'd be laboring under the guise of a 4 part green row, and with a change in speed, suddenly a 5 part red with a parallel 4 part yellow combo would come to mind.

I had been feeling inadequately geeky of late. After sharing this, I think I'm over that ;)

- Rooster

letsgo

Postby letsgo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:16 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:So, while there was a point to this comic, I'm surprised no one has been as amazed as I was (or rather, no one has expressed this amazement) by the beautiful portrayal of various sexual acts as carried out in a loving nature by stick figures! WOW!

i think no one had commented at that point because the stick figures are done so well in the first place. most of the time, it doesn't even register with me that they are stick figures. (for me, it's just 'how things are' in the xkcd world).

with regards to the xkcd/romance/singles topic - i didn't exactly meet my boyfriend through xkcd, but i think my introducing him to it sort of 'clinched the deal', somewhat.

Wired

Postby Wired » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:42 am UTC

If we don't already, this forum should have a 'personals' section.
And now I sound like a total perv. But no, I could see benefits of it.

It could be 'reasonably' safe, start by posting the state (or province or what ever else.) and see how many live in your state, from there post your city and see if anyone from your state lives near your city, if so you could exchange IMs and cell numbers and get to know each other through that, then maybe meet in a public place if your trusting enough.
Good idea? / Bad idea?

Anyway, mathematics scare me right now, I'm not very good at them, I try, hard, but never get far, I usually end up wikiing any mathematic phrases I see in XKCD to see if I recognize it, in this case I do.

Angry Rooster

Postby Angry Rooster » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:05 am UTC

P.S.
petsfed wrote:
CreemyNougat wrote:
petsfed wrote:The problem is half of your target audience all simultaneously clicked your profile wondering where you lived. The other half, jaded geeks that they are, assumed you were on the coast opposite theirs, and didn't bother clicking.

/I know I clicked

I just checked the "location" field under her avatar.

Clearly I'm focusing on the wrong things. Also, New Hampshire's a big place.

She didn't have the location filled out earlier. I remember checking ;)

Geek dating site/dedicated forum sounds acceptable to me. I started one of my more successful relationships from the short lived MMOdating site. Something more focused on geekiness and less on gaming would be appreciated. We'll need special fields like, "How fast can you solve a Rubik's cube?" and "Favorite XKCD comic." and according to some entries in this thread, "Favorite number sequence."

Here's my temporary ad:

24 year old male from North Idaho(from Coeur d'Alene, going to school in Moscow) seeking romantic female companionship. I'm a CS major at the University of Idaho. I will watch any movie at least once, and I enjoy almost all of them. I enjoy odd comedy(such as Flight of the Conchords, I Heart Huckabees, and Stranger Than Fiction). Also, linguistic comedy is strangely alluring to me... I only wish U of I offered a course related to it. I adore puns. I am fairly good at problem solving, and I enjoy using a toolset to accomplish a goal. Whether it be Lego or a CS assignment, it's fun arranging the tools and materials given to me to see what I can make with them.

Related Anecdote:
In something like 3rd or 4th grade, I went and toured the advanced elementary school. I participated in a challenge to build a vehicle out of Lego which would hold as much weight as possible, pulled by a string. After clarifying that this was the only rule, and noting the reinforced axles and careful weight distribution the other students were using I set about my design. A sled. I built a flat platform of Lego and completely destroyed the competition. I regret not enrolling there, at the time I thought I was being clever because normal school was less work :p

Interesting tidbits:
I am currently self-learning ASL with a buddy because it is awesome. I have previously learned to solve the Rubik's cube for similar reasons(I don't know what my time is though, probably in the 5-10 minute range, I never really tried for speed). I can put my legs behind my head(not as sexy as you might imagine). I drive a 1973 Volkswagen Thing, with the license plate NO SUCH. I told you I liked puns.

I guess that's it for now.

- Rooster

P.S. I wish to hear more about this pantsless time travel movie.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:16 am UTC

meta wrote:I once knit my (ex-)boyfriend a Möbius scarf, and we would send each other long emails in symbolic logic...alas, the boy I am now semi-courting is interesting but not quite geeky enough for me, I think.

I am mostly just waiting for physics class to start in the fall, and if I see any xkcd shirts, I will pounce. (In my usual socially awkward manner.)

"Sorry if this is weird, but, do you like flying kites?"

Kite update - I read the forum, but I usually forget to read the blag.
Randall's been doing things with kites and cameras recently.
I ran into it on google earlier today. See blag.

IQLCXS

Postby IQLCXS » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:51 pm UTC

This comic is beautiful on all sorts of levels. But don't let them convince you it's a pipe dream!

The only boys I've ever been seriously interested in were the ones that knew I see fractals in the trees, not trees in the fractals.

Encryption is less than three.

wewt. my first post. Hi everybody!

IrishFire

But why have they moved to the floor?

Postby IrishFire » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I love the sense of romance and the idea of finding and appreciating someone who matches you this intimately.

Still, every time I read this I have to wonder why they've wound up on the floor.

And hello, by the way.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

Greetings and welcome first posters... You may want to go over the first section of the rules as they apply especially to you... *smiles*

You don't want to be bitten by the mod crew.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

ArmonSore wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:What I find odd is that even though I like stuff like programming and such, if I had a girlfriend I'd be all "ZOMG I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND" and none of this would interest me at all at that point.

No girl is worth giving up on your dreams.

Oh I wouldn't be giving them up I just would have forgotten.

CatProximity wrote:I think he just meant they'd slip by the way side due to too much nookie.

Yeah, something like that. I'd be too interested in her.

une see wrote:I'm going to have to agree with a lot of people here, and say that this comic made me feel incredibly lonely. It sucks not being in a relationship.

That too.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

Darcey wrote:Also anyone is welcome to PM me. Can't remember if I said it before but I'm in the middle of New Jersey. I like ice cream, taking walks in isolated places, and watching cute boys program.

*pricks up ears* Just where in New Jersey? :P

noonie

Re: But why have they moved to the floor?

Postby noonie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

IrishFire wrote:Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I love the sense of romance and the idea of finding and appreciating someone who matches you this intimately.

Still, every time I read this I have to wonder why they've wound up on the floor.

And hello, by the way.

what's wrong with the floor?
anything i'd like to be remembered for saying can't be said to everyone.

QuestionablyLegalManeuver

Postby QuestionablyLegalManeuver » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

IrishFire wrote:Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I love the sense of romance and the idea of finding and appreciating someone who matches you this intimately.

And hello, by the way.

isn't it obvious?

Geeks do it rarely.

...I mean on the floor.
fn(int)2X,X,10,13

Quite possibly the world's first integral cliche.

QuestionablyLegalManeuver

Postby QuestionablyLegalManeuver » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:17 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:[ ] Girlfriend
[ ] Car
[x] Rain

By the way, this made me laugh when I read it.
fn(int)2X,X,10,13

Quite possibly the world's first integral cliche.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:19 pm UTC

I totally had a "oh my god we're perfect for each other" moment like this yesterday. My GF and I were in the car, and I was talking about how women have the power of "the look" I was being silly and said "right now you can just stun me, but by time you're older you could probably kill a man". She laughed and I added "in fact, you could kill a Yak, from like 200 yards away". Without missing a beat, she screamed "WITH MIND BULLETS!? THAT'S TELEKENESIS, JACK!"

And the funny thing is, nether of us knew that the other knew that song.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

QuestionablyLegalManeuver wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:[ ] Girlfriend
[ ] Car
[x] Rain

By the way, this made me laugh when I read it.

Well it's funny because it's true... and sad too. :?

The sig came from this post in the projection thread:
Grape wrote:[x] Girlfriend
[ ] Car
[x] Rain

The alt-text makes me wish I had a car.

alexthesoso

Postby alexthesoso » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

hola all, my first post to the forum, i was just introduced to the comic a week ago.

my thoughts, one, something people seem to be missing. hes on his stomach, not his back, getting a sensual backrub. just thought id point out the position of the arms.

two, such women do indeed exist. and sometimes they are gamer geeks as well. an ex of mine and i once spent the entire day in bed, occasionally making math/sex jokes, gaming jokes, ect. at one point, something we were doing ended up at pi, and she said, and speaking of pi, im burning a willpower to get out of bed and get some food.

what can i say, the combo of jokes was such a turn on that as she popped out of bed, i grabbed her, pulled her back in, and it was an hour before either of us got any food in our stomachs.

the rings are genitals? didnt know that.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

I actually think a "Dating" forum would be a good idea here. Think about it: everyone's already starting out with a common interest, xkcd. And based on that common love for xkcd, they probably have a lot of other things in common also. I actually think it would be a great place to meet people, and then maybe everyone who's posting in this thread saying how much it sucks being single could, you know...not be single anymore. Or at least some people.

Not that I would really use it...but I think it would be a wonderful tool for the rest of you single schmucks. :)
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Forthur

Postby Forthur » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

Maybe the service could be more than just a dating service. There must be lots of people that aren't looking for a date (for whatever reason), but would certainly want to meet one or more fellow xkcd-ers to discuss all kinds of topics over a pizza and some drinks. That would also take a bit of the loneliness away - being understood, and feeling linked by common interests and nerdy habits. Wouldn't it?

That being said, are there any nice, female xkcd-fans this side of the ocean? I do like long walks, but from the Netherlands all the way to the USA (where most of you seem to live) is a bit too much. And I have no barrel.
Last edited by Forthur on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Life's biggest adventures are the dreams you try to make real.

rurouniyuudai85

Postby rurouniyuudai85 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

joeythehobo wrote:lol, geek dating service coming on.

Male Math/Computer Science Geek seeking Female Literature Nerd

Yes, we are all so lonely. As for the comment on 5 girls in a calculus class. My school had the same amount, and nothing their either. I think it may be an over-concentration of nerdiness. Maybe clogging he pores.

I dunno, lol.

btw; I think I've found a nerd too. I hope!

googling the term "nerd dating service" or "geek dating service" brings on some interesting results, haha.

fortyseventeen
Ask for a lame title, receive a lame title

Postby fortyseventeen » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

It's been a while, and what a relief to come back to this comic! I thought I had a serious problem, but it seems that these kinds of thoughts swim through the minds of every geek.

When I'm in the car, I can't stop thinking about the planes of extension from flat or sharp objects, and I reflexively hold my breath as I pass through them.

When I'm sitting inside, I can't stop thinking about strategic paths, jumping across obstacles to go…somewhere else.

When I'm alone, I can't stop thinking about ways of steering conversations with acquaintances that might lead them to get to know me better.

…no, I do have a problem.
Quick, what's schfifty-five minus schfourteen-teen?

IQLCXS

Postby IQLCXS » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:40 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:
ArmonSore wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:What I find odd is that even though I like stuff like programming and such, if I had a girlfriend I'd be all "ZOMG I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND" and none of this would interest me at all at that point.

No girl is worth giving up on your dreams.

Oh I wouldn't be giving them up I just would have forgotten.

Only, you wouldn't. At least I didn't. Love begets love - when you're in love, the things that were beautiful to you before are even more beautiful. The swirls of steam on a cup of coffee, chaotic yet orderly, remind you of her, and she of them. Nothing exists in isolation. :)

It's because the bed is too...umm...short...for what they're doing. Twin beds ftl.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:13 am UTC

Certainly. Our dorm beds are quite narrow, even for one person (everyone falls off their first night.) I secretly suspect it's a passive-aggressive disincentive to copulation.

(Literature geeks? Bah. Once you go math, you can never go back.)

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:57 am UTC

athelas wrote:(Literature geeks? Bah. Once you go math, you can never go back.)

I went to a liberal arts focused high school, so I was actually very turned off to literature and the geeks therein. Give me my marine biologist any day!
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:58 am UTC

Kawa wrote:
athelas wrote:(Literature geeks? Bah. Once you go math, you can never go back.)

I went to a liberal arts focused high school, so I was actually very turned off to literature and the geeks therein. Give me my marine biologist any day!
Jesster... Make the mean people go away...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

foolscap

Wear-XKCD-Day

Postby foolscap » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:22 am UTC

Hello again,

So, after introducing myself, after having already posted the last message, I've started a thread (assuming/hoping the moderators won't take it down) in the General forums about my aforementioned idea for a day on which to wear an XKCD shirt, so that we can have some idea of who else around us reads this gem.

I tried to make the entire message fit into one large run-on sentence, but it wouldn't work...

F
"Cease, Man, to mourn, to weep, to wail; enjoy thy shining hour of sun. We dance along Death's icy brink, but is the dance less full of fun?" -Sir R. F. Burton, The Kasidah of Haji Abdu El Yezdi.

_sandswipe_

Postby _sandswipe_ » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:43 am UTC

I love numbers, but I can't do a bloody thing with them. I wouldn't even recognize prime numbers being tapped.

At my highschool I play lead trombone in the jazz band and am the head of the (quite well attended) Gamers and Anime club, AND took physics a year before most people, yet still I somehow am completely unable to get a girl to even look at me seriously. The worst part is that half the girls in band are total whores and I STILL can't get anything.

I need to work on being able to talk for more ten seconds without sounding like an asshole. Oh well, I like to listen to other people anyway.

Also, alexthesoso, it looks like he's on his back. If he were on his stomach in the first panel (where he is presumably receiving a handjob if on his back) then his right arm would be bending backwards. In panel four he would have to be stretching his left arm straight up, at a right angle from his back, to put it between her head and the mattress like that. That would be really uncomfortable, and a lot less fun then a handjob.

Unless he's into that kind of thing.

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:57 am UTC

_sandswipe_ wrote:The worst part is that half the girls in band are total whores and I STILL can't get anything.

Yeah, but even if a whore goes out with you, it wouldn't be that great. Whores can actually be harder to get unless you meet a strict criteria.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:33 am UTC

athelas wrote:
Darcey wrote:Also anyone is welcome to PM me. Can't remember if I said it before but I'm in the middle of New Jersey. I like ice cream, taking walks in isolated places, and watching cute boys program.

*pricks up ears* Just where in New Jersey? :P

Right near the great swamp, but I'm a lit geek. =P

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:34 am UTC

The criteria for getting a whore is being able to pay for one and not getting arrested. A more appropriate word might be slut. Seriously though, throwing either of those words around willy-nilly is really unnecessary and gets you negative points.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”