1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
fearless
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm UTC
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby fearless » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

TheMaskedGecko wrote:...and yet those women seem to manage it. The reason for this is probably that any porn with relateable, likable characters gets upgraded to art.

I think the reason is that they're getting paid for it.

User avatar
TheMaskedGecko
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:20 am UTC
Location: Wales,UK

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

Oops, editing fail. I meant the reason that pornstars are unlovable.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.

User avatar
EchoRomulus
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby EchoRomulus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

How does nobody understand this is Flight of the Conchords?! "Bret"? The guy's beard?! It's all so clear!

User avatar
SpringLoaded12
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile
Contact:

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

Istaro wrote:
Kisama wrote:I don't want tvtrope links banned outright, I just want them to carry a minor cost in exchange for the potential hours wasted by people following those links.


I suspect that many (most?) of this forum's denizens have already gotten the initial TVTropes binge out of the way (upon reading http://xkcd.com/609/ if not before then).

Key word being "initial." It doesn't stop after the first time, my first encounter with TVTropes was because of that comic and I still go on wiki walks there sometimes. In fact, I went on one from the link posted earlier and was late for my afternoon class because of it; it went Reality is Unrealistic --> Your Costume Needs Work --> Stanley Kubrick --> Enforced Method Acting, and there I stayed for much longer than I intended.

DVC wrote:Well, I was completely confused. The title had me thinking of Stranger than Fiction which was simply brilliant, and Will Ferrel was great in it. It seemed like Randal and I had watched two different films. Turns out we had.

Um, the comic isn't about that movie, I think it's just the comic's title that references that.
I saw it too; 'twas pretty good.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby bmonk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

bhoot wrote:I get the joke, but it really wasn't all that funny. Of course Randall can't be expected to make amazing comics every time, so I'm not complaining much.

I thought the meta-joke was good, though.

Haven't unpacked the meta-meta joke yet.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
Splarka
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:24 am UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby Splarka » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

Image
(clickyable)
HTTP/1.1 - 203

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby Adam H » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

Dammit! I just sprayed water all over my work computer. Good thing most of my coworkers have left already. :)

You haters are crazy - this is one of the funnier things I've read in a very long time.
-Adam

Jamaican Castle
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby Jamaican Castle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
DVC wrote:Well, I was completely confused. The title had me thinking of Stranger than Fiction which was simply brilliant, and Will Ferrel was great in it. It seemed like Randal and I had watched two different films. Turns out we had.

Um, the comic isn't about that movie, I think it's just the comic's title that references that.
I saw it too; 'twas pretty good.


I imagine the comic is referring back to the common phrase the movie was named after, "the truth is stranger than fiction". As Randall is pointing out, that doesn't mean it's better than fiction.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:56 pm UTC

fearless wrote:
TheMaskedGecko wrote:
fearless wrote: (The despicable character being the person with the penis)

Good rule for life there folks: Person possessing a penis=despicable


lol i wasn't being sexist, I swear. It's just that the guys all seem to be on steroids and they don't even show the faces half the time. It's hard to love such a character...


Want to trade porn? Mine is full of guys that won't shut up or get out of the way of the woman.

Kaijyuu
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby Kaijyuu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:40 am UTC

I dunno who the bearded guy is, but the comic only makes me feel sympathetic to him.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

DVC
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby DVC » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 am UTC

fearless wrote:
TheMaskedGecko wrote:
fearless wrote: (The despicable character being the person with the penis)

Good rule for life there folks: Person possessing a penis=despicable


lol i wasn't being sexist, I swear. It's just that the guys all seem to be on steroids and they don't even show the faces half the time. It's hard to love such a character...


You're not helping your 'not sexist' case.

mric
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby mric » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 pm UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:I can't tell if this was supposed to be funny or not... There wasn't much of a punchline.

EDIT:

What I mean to say is that the first stick figure says "no one would believe it" and the second one responses by saying that he agrees because the script would be poorly written. It's like they are having two completely different conversations. It's like the second stick figure is responding to the phrase "no one would watch it." But that's not what he said. So I'm a bit perplexed.

The second figure is saying "no one would believe it" to mean that no one would believe that a movie could have been made with such a weak plot and dialogue, not that no one would believe the plot and dialogue. It is a rhetorical form - "I can't believe that George Lucas could have made those dreadful prequels" - where the speaker clearly does believe it, just they are stressing the incongruity.

User avatar
neoliminal
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby neoliminal » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

For whatever reason this reminded me of this April Fools parody I did of XKCD awhile ago.

Image
XKCD (alternate universe) by neoliminal, on Flickr
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

User avatar
fearless
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm UTC
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby fearless » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

sorry, I don't get it.

User avatar
neoliminal
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby neoliminal » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

It's a fictional representation that is less interesting than the real version.... :cry:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3484
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:It's a fictional representation that is less interesting than the real version.... :cry:

But it has no alt text, so it's basically worthless.

User avatar
neoliminal
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby neoliminal » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
neoliminal wrote:It's a fictional representation that is less interesting than the real version.... :cry:

But it has no alt text, so it's basically worthless.



Yeah, you got me there. Insta-contest. Best alt text wins something weird from me.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Randomizer
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:23 am UTC
Location: My walls are full of hungry wolves.
Contact:

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby Randomizer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:02 am UTC

Alt text - "Would you like to meet my sister?"
And it's nicely ambiguous as to who is saying that. :p
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

User avatar
fearless
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm UTC
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby fearless » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:40 am UTC

DVC wrote:
fearless wrote:
TheMaskedGecko wrote:
fearless wrote: (The despicable character being the person with the penis)

Good rule for life there folks: Person possessing a penis=despicable


lol i wasn't being sexist, I swear. It's just that the guys all seem to be on steroids and they don't even show the faces half the time. It's hard to love such a character...


You're not helping your 'not sexist' case.

o_O I was referring to despicable CHARACTERS.
Unless you're saying you actually /like/ a character whose only visibility is his penis and washboard abs...
Seriously, how am I being sexist for not liking a one dimensional porno char?

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5479
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 am UTC

fearless wrote:o_O I was referring to despicable CHARACTERS.
Unless you're saying you actually /like/ a character whose only visibility is his penis and washboard abs...
Seriously, how am I being sexist for not liking a one dimensional porno char?

I'd hardly call a penis attached to some washboard abs a character at all, and thus neither despicable nor likable really apply.

Do hand models portray "characters"? Are the hands holding the product in the lastest 30-second spot despicable or likable?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Lerkistan
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Re: 1006: "Sloppier Than Fiction"

Postby Lerkistan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

Ronsonic wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:(And where I'm from, "technically not cheating" means, *ahem*, "cheating.")


Indeed. And while one might believe that no such persons as the guy on the left exist in the real world, I have once overheard a conversion between two teenaged girls, where one of them complained that "he dumped me because they said I was fucking around with X and Y, but that's not true at all! I only cheated on him once!"

Boy, I was so close to telling her that not only is once sufficient, but claiming that this is somehow negligible would be even more reason to dump her as fast as possible...

BTW: Came back after two tropes! But have a wikipedia tab on Audie Murphy open.

edit: Dammit, wikipedia!


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: measure and 92 guests