1009: "Sigh"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jared the Great

1009: "Sigh"

Postby Jared the Great » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:03 am UTC

Title Text: "If you're annoying enough, you can get them to respond with an involuntary second sigh and get a rhythm going."

I can safely say that I do not understand this comment, but I would probably have made a comment similar to the first one. It's fun to ask the questions no one asks because of suspension of disbelief.
Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium
Spoiler:
Batman!

sugarhyped

Re: 1009: "Sigh"

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:06 am UTC

I would sigh again. I'm so tired of that song.

Downton Abbey is great though.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

orangustang

Postby orangustang » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:18 am UTC

I will add this to the list of songs I sing when people inadvertently say part of the lyrics. It happens more often than you might think.

Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:22 am UTC

NO, we should not thank LMFAO for anything.

That might encourage them.

finity

Postby finity » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:29 am UTC

Lol, I forgot that I actually like that song. The music video is too funny...

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:32 am UTC

I miss when techno/electro/dubstep/entire dance scene wasn't so horribly commercialized and the singers weren't full of themselves. Granted that's probably because most commercial artists made a single song and disappeared off the charts forever, but I miss when the rare songs that did have lyrics weren't shit (please don't quote Daft Punk as bad lyrics, I love their stuff D:)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 am UTC

I'm not quite sure what the joke is. Does it have to do with the song? Or is it innuendo?

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:37 am UTC

At least the art is cleaned up, but can some one explain what was supposed to be funny here?
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

webdude

Postby webdude » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:40 am UTC

Sigh - meh. But I had the same question about the "Downtown" name. I also wonder if there's a corresponding Uptown Abbey. If the town is so small that a manor in the middle of nowhere constitutes "downtown," is the town likely to have another abbey? Why not call the house "The Abbey?"

On the show I've seen oak trees, elm trees and other trees, but I really love the pedan trees!

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:45 am UTC

Yes it has to do with the song. There is a pause, a breath, in the song, akin to a sigh, and then, "girllookatthatbody."
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

branko623

Postby branko623 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:13 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:I miss when techno/electro/dubstep/entire dance scene wasn't so horribly commercialized and the singers weren't full of themselves.

Umm, its not, theres plenty non-mainstream of that stuff. Theres a whole other scene out there

stardek

Postby stardek » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 am UTC

This is well worth listening to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ-KxVjDGGc

I never really disliked the song that much but I'm rather disturbed by all the wiggling in the music video... I do enjoy that Ron Jeremy is in it though.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:27 am UTC

I always get nostalgic for Peanuts whenever I see a "sigh" in asterisks. *sighs*

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:34 am UTC

branko623 wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:I miss when techno/electro/dubstep/entire dance scene wasn't so horribly commercialized and the singers weren't full of themselves.

Umm, its not, theres plenty non-mainstream of that stuff. Theres a whole other scene out there
I hate going through non mainstream channels because I the ratio of hit to miss is higher. DI.fm is good sometimes, but even then I don't generally like listening to radio stations on my computer.

Dave_t

Postby Dave_t » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 am UTC

Sadly this one is lost on me. Never heard of 'downtown abbey', an artist called 'LMFAO', the 'girl look at that body' reference, and don't understand the significance of the 'siiiigh'.

From the comments I assume this is all about a music track, and how lyrics sometimes subconsciously prompt the listener to think of the following line, whether that be socially acceptable or not.

deadlywonky

Postby deadlywonky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:07 am UTC

i don't know if there is an American program with a similar name, but the one I'm aware of (set in England, 1910's, drama about how difficult it is to be loaded) is actually Downton Abbey

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:31 am UTC

Hence the *siiiiiiigh*
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:04 am UTC

Flewellyn wrote:NO, we should not thank LMFAO for anything.

That might encourage them.

I concur. Whoever they are.
I do not get the joke.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheMaskedGecko

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 am UTC

<Hyper-pedantry mode activated>Where has this 'Downtown' spelling originated? Is it the result of a poor export or is it part of the joke? Extrapolating from other towns would lead me to think that Downton was half of a pair of towns, the other one being Upton situated on a hill.<End Hyper-pedantry mode>

And great, thanks, now that song will be stuck in my head all day. Ah well, at least it's not that abomination about it being a weekday starting with F.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.

MonkeyBoy

Postby MonkeyBoy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 am UTC

As someone who had never heard of Downtown Abbey, had never noticed that the annoying "girl look at that body" song had a sigh before that line, and didn't know that the people that perform it are called LMFAO, I'm glad this forum is here to save me from just staring dumbly at the screen in utter non-comprehension.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 am UTC

I think we should thank LMFAO for providing employment for people with boxheads.

Previously they had to dance on youtube to Daft Punk songs to raise awareness of their plight.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

sjorford

Postby sjorford » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:10 am UTC

TheMaskedGecko wrote:Extrapolating from other towns would lead me to think that Downton was half of a pair of towns, the other one being Upton situated on a hill.

Almost certainly. But this is England. Downton was probably named about 1000 years ago. Upton might as well be an archaeological site by now.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:19 am UTC

Wow, what a terrible comic. Truly dreadful.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 am UTC

go look at the top comments of the official video on youtube, both mention xkcd
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:36 am UTC

Ideas sleep furiously. wrote:I concur. Whoever they are.
I do not get the joke.

The joke is that you google LMFAO and "girl look at that body" to find out what this is all about and get trolled by that terrible song.

Yes, that it - this comic is pretty much a rickroll.

babble

Postby babble » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:23 am UTC

Place names ending in -ton are often a corruption of 'tun' which is a farm or a hamlet. Down means a hill or maybe a fort on a hill. Downton could just refer to a farm on a hill.

chemicalfan

Postby chemicalfan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

Downton Abbey is rubbish!!! I cannot understand how anyone under the age of 50 can sit through it, it's SO dull!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:46 pm UTC

TheMaskedGecko wrote:<Hyper-pedantry mode activated>Where has this 'Downtown' spelling originated? Is it the result of a poor export or is it part of the joke?

It is part of the joke. The whole reason the girl sighs is because the guy calls it "Downtown" instead of "Downton."
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

chemicalfan wrote:Downton Abbey is rubbish!!! I cannot understand how anyone under the age of 50 can sit through it, it's SO dull!

...and I thought the target audience was the generation ADHD. There's always at least dozen plotlines going on, none of which is properly concentrated on, and all of them are full of (unintentionally) hilarious melodrama.

I'm 20 years old, and I couldn't stand it: Downton Abbey certainly isn't dull enough for me.

To be not totally offtopic, I think I got the joke. It wasn't an excellent joke, I think. Not necessarily a bad joke, but just... not an excellent joke. I guess my perception is biased, and most of the XKCD comics are so awesome that "merely good" ones stand out and look worse than they really are.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

So, it's something not worth googling for, obviously.

Condor70

Postby Condor70 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

sjorford wrote:Almost certainly. But this is England. Downton was probably named about 1000 years ago. Upton might as well be an archaeological site by now.

No, Upton exists and is indeed located only a few miles from Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle):

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Highclere+Castle,+United+Kingdom&daddr=Upton,+Hampshire,+United+Kingdom

Horrible song by the way. I like Elmo's version better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWF86D_UNxc).

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:47 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
TheMaskedGecko wrote:<Hyper-pedantry mode activated>Where has this 'Downtown' spelling originated? Is it the result of a poor export or is it part of the joke?

It is part of the joke. The whole reason the girl sighs is because the guy calls it "Downtown" instead of "Downton."

Well, I would say that the girl is sighing because the guy's not only making a terrible, lame joke, he's making a terrible, lame joke that relies on his getting the name of the show wrong. But yes, I thought it was pretty obvious that his error was part of the larger joke.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

I just registered to say RGOOMH.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Elipongo

Postby Elipongo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

MonkeyBoy wrote:As someone who had never heard of Downtown Abbey, had never noticed that the annoying "girl look at that body" song had a sigh before that line, and didn't know that the people that perform it are called LMFAO, I'm glad this forum is here to save me from just staring dumbly at the screen in utter non-comprehension.

Other than the fact that Google corrected the spelling of the show for me when I typed it in, and the fact that I had never heard the song before I got the hint from this forum, I concur with that statement!

P.S.
The song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTpGU1Yw_I&sns=em
The show:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:I miss when techno/electro/dubstep/entire dance scene wasn't so horribly commercialized and the singers weren't full of themselves. Granted that's probably because most commercial artists made a single song and disappeared off the charts forever, but I miss when the rare songs that did have lyrics weren't shit (please don't quote Daft Punk as bad lyrics, I love their stuff D:)

I could be wrong, but I take this song as a joke, just like Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy"

BentFranklin

Postby BentFranklin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

Quadruple pop reference non-getting. Sigh.

RyanfaeScotland

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Yeah, xkcd's audience is definitely the wrong audience for this joke.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:I miss when techno/electro/dubstep/entire dance scene wasn't so horribly commercialized and the singers weren't full of themselves. Granted that's probably because most commercial artists made a single song and disappeared off the charts forever, but I miss when the rare songs that did have lyrics weren't shit (please don't quote Daft Punk as bad lyrics, I love their stuff D:)

I could be wrong, but I take this song as a joke, just like Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy"

Watching the video for added context, I think the message of the song, insofar as it can be said to have one beyond general silliness, is mostly one of "sexy is a state of mind everyone should feel entitled to, regardless of what they look like." It actually seems ... kinda sweet.

Gracana

Postby Gracana » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

I'm an angry nerd and I hate pop culture!

Now nobody else has to say they didn't like this.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

As a totally unrelated aside, why are BBC shows generally so much better than American ones?

Part two of that, why do Americans seem to think that they have to make their own version of everything (generally very bad versions of said shows)?

couple more months til the new Dr. Who series....
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”