1019: "First Post"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 am UTC

Title Text: "Nuh-uh! We let users vote on comments and display them by number of votes. Everyone knows that makes it impossible for a few persistent voices to dominate the discussion."

I wonder how many politicians you can buy for $1,500,000...

P.S. 1ST!
Last edited by rhomboidal on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tech42er

Re: 1019: "First Post"

Postby tech42er » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 am UTC

So if ordering comments chronologically or by upvotes doesn't work, then what would Randall suggest? How should news sites order their comments?

(Asking for a friend, who runs a popular news site with moderated, but anonymous, comments)

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 am UTC

Crap. Was gonna post "First!" for the first time in my life but missed the gun :(

karanj

Postby karanj » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 am UTC

tech42er wrote:So if ordering comments chronologically or by upvotes doesn't work, then what would Randall suggest? How should news sites order their comments?

(Asking for a friend, who runs a popular news site with moderated, but anonymous, comments)

- Curated comments -> cries of censorship
- Most-recent-first -> constant one-upmanship
- Most-popular -> game-able
- Random -> ...!

scottgoblue314

Postby scottgoblue314 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:19 am UTC

tech42er wrote:So if ordering comments chronologically or by upvotes doesn't work, then what would Randall suggest? How should news sites order their comments?

I think this is what he has in mind: http://xkcd.com/810/

pernero

Postby pernero » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:21 am UTC

Where do these dollar amounts come from? 1.5 Million seems awfully cheap..

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:35 am UTC

First, presuming you pay the college students for 40 hours a week each, that's 200 hours/week = $4000/week = 50 weeks. But if they work for you full-time they probably can't be college students too, plus you owe them benefits.

So you pay them each for 33.6 hours a week, just enough to be part-time, and it's better. Total cost is about $175,000/year leaving $25,000 to pay for overhead. Never more than one student online at a time.

But if they do this sort of grind for too many hours they will get jaded and will probably start doing things to liven it up, they'll get snarky and off-message. Better to hire more students for shorter hours, except your overhead and training costs go up.

So, why is this a problem? Should paid ads cost less than they do?

The paid ads reach more eyeballs because not all that many people read the comments. But then, people tend to ignore the ads, too, just like they ignore the comments.

Why does it matter?
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:36 am UTC

ftfy:

polls.png

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:37 am UTC

the answer is of course google. google knows your preferences, and can filter to show only the comments you want to see, you can see the ones that makes you happy, angry, smug, depressed, whatever, and you do not even have to choose, googles knows what you like because google watches. Failing that google can just post the comments it wants, snipped and tacked from anywhere else on the internet, from any time in the last ten years, chances are the comments will not be any less relevant than what the meat bots will push in anyway.
it's fine.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:09 am UTC

At first I thought this was a comic about how we could send students to college with the money spent on campaigns.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:18 am UTC

I would do that job, because camping is my specialty.

muntoo

Postby muntoo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:20 am UTC

Last Post.

(That's what first came to my mind.)

iChef

Postby iChef » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:21 am UTC

The solution is to cut out the middle man and just sell the top commenting spot to the highest bidder.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:24 am UTC

Sounds like it could backfire. No doubt you'd try to get the college kids to sign non-disclosure agreements when you hired them, but a Salon article on "My life as an undercover PR flack who infested comment sections" might seem like an opportunity worth breaking an NDA for, at least for an impulsive, fame-seeking young'un, perhaps with a sincere, passionate belief that THE PUBLIC MUST KNOW THE TRUTH. (And if Salon thinks that sitting around making internet comments is really boring, maybe... the Daily Beast? I don't know.)
Last edited by Idhan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

freded21

Postby freded21 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:26 am UTC

Is that really why they post their comments in ascending order?

culturalelitist

Postby culturalelitist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 am UTC

Nuh-uh! We let users vote on comments and display them by number of votes. Everyone knows that makes it impossible for a few persistent voices to dominate the discussion.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE METHOD OF COMMENT SORTING, FRIEND?

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:23 am UTC

I don't really see how this is a problem unique to any particular ordering of comments.

If comments are displayed FIFO, then you just pay people (say, xkcd forum denizens) to keep refreshing until a new article appears and then post the first comments on that article.

If comments are displayed LIFO, then you just pay people to keep commenting (using sock puppets) so that the most recent comments are always yours.

If comments are displayed in random order, then you just pay people to comment as frequently as possible (using sock puppets) so that the majority of the comments will be yours.

Granted, different ordering schemes might result in needing different numbers of comment whores, but really, the issue Idhan refers to is the thing that should minimize large-scale usage of tactics like this.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 am UTC

Alternatively, disable comments and let people talk about it elsewhere in ... oh, I don't know, a moderated forum?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:09 am UTC

Once upon a time I thought voting was based upon the cogency of the platform, not just on the manufactured image. Then I moved from Canada to the U.S.A. Hoo man, was I wrong!

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 am UTC

I think I can, with high certainty, say, that I though this through to the end. Really to the end.
I was awake the whole night, so I might explain it badly, but I will try anyway…

The solution requires accepting that reality is relative. Then you will see, that the quality of a comment can never be a global value, but must be different for every single individual.
It must be calculated based on the trust you have in a certain person on all mentioned topics.
As this would create a huge overhead of everyone having to rate the trust of every topic for every comment… a obviously absurd situation… those trust rules must also be able to cascade up the chain of peers you configured to trust on those subjects. Until it hits somebody who rated the person himself.
But actually, you would not be able to rate people. You would only be able to assign topics to a comment (from then on visible to others who trust you), and then rate it for those topics. The trust in the commenter would then be calculated, based on all the ratings for all his comments.

For the normal user, this means nothing more, than to set one or a couple of trusted peers. While people who actually got an opinion, can still rate everything the way they want.

Actually, I think that’s the way, that laws should be made. (Yes, also individually for each and everyone. But because in RL, you often do not have the choice to go separate ways… like with financing roads… disagreeing people living close to each other have to either find a compromise, or move away. [Will result in mostly compromises. But each and every one consciously and willingly.])

gormster

Postby gormster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 am UTC

t,ftfy
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 am UTC

What I want to know is since when the hell is $20/hr the going rate for college students posting comments on forums??? That's close to or exceeding the average wage in the US (which I recalled from memory as being ~$47K/yr but those Google results seem to range from $20-40K/yr), a figure which presumably includes all the skilled professionals in the country in its calculation as well. I'd expect forum-posters to make not much over minimum wage...

EDITED for better stats: Bureau of Labor Statistics suggests average hourly wage is $10.24 in fixed 1982-1984 dollars, which Wolfram Alpha suggests is $22.63 in 2012 dollars. So yeah, $20/hr is damn good for an unskilled forum-posting gig.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

Depends how unskilled you want the comments to be, I guess.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 pm UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:Once upon a time I thought voting was based upon the cogency of the platform, not just on the manufactured image. Then I moved from Canada to the U.S.A. Hoo man, was I wrong!

We really have made some nice advancements in the art of voter fraud.

DragonMudd

Postby DragonMudd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

Here is an excellent article titled "How Not to Sort by Average Rating": http://www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sort-by-average-rating.html. It has really great math about how to calculate an average score that doesn't allow for a small number of votes to outweigh the actual results.

JediMaster012

Postby JediMaster012 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

While I definitely get the premise of the comic, the wording seems off and is highly confusing. "Paying college students to post the first few comments ... giving you the last word"

If the comments are posted in the order they are submitted, why does the first post give you the last word. Wouldn't the last post give you the last word?

Antior

Postby Antior » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

I've seen two 'working' solutions to this.

One is the one in use on the Dutch tech news website/forum tweakers.net. At that site, comments on news articles are simply sorted by time posted, while replies to those are 'threaded' below that comment.

However, there is a rating system which can only be used by registered users, it goes from -1 (spam/offtopic) to +3 (must-read). Those ratings are meant for *usefulness to the discussion*, not agreement by the raters. As far as I know, the final rating of a comment is simply the average of all the votes. Readers can choose to view all comments, or only comments having at least a certain rating.

However, there is a (secret) algorithm which checks if your ratings are not 'too far' from the average. In case that happens, the system assumes you are trolling the ratings and it will block your rating abilities for a while. Of course, this caused a new problem: people would just copycat the average rating of a lot of comments in order to get a higher 'rank' within that algorithm. To prevent this, the site administration keeps twerking (haha) the algorithm. I'm not sure how this works under the hood now, but the final results seem to be pretty okay now.

The other system was the one a high-standard newspaper website once employed. All comments posted would be stored for moderator approval, and only comments giving insightful information and well thought-out points of view would actually be posted. This makes the system similar to the old-fashioned paper 'letter to the editor'. While this seems elitist and is dependent of the whims of the moderators, it actually did make sure that newspaper website had one of the most interesting and readable comment systems I knew of.

AngryNick

Postby AngryNick » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

I assume he's referring to /. (http://slashdot.org) and its moderation/karma model. It's getting hard to have an intelligent discussion on /. unless you happen to be at the top of the thread, where most of the people with moderation points use them.

MathUhhhSaurus

Postby MathUhhhSaurus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:56 pm UTC

Or you could always just hire a group like Anonymous to hack into the system and change the first comment.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

There was a political protest in an area with no parking, so the protesters met in a community college parking lot, and took buses to the protest. The highest rated comment in the newspaper was purportedly written by a community college employee who was horribly disadvantaged on her way to work by, among other things, all of the extra parking lot use.

The astroturfer could have gone on to write about how horrible the rest of her day was, since the community college was closed that day.

This was the local newspaper, which is far removed from being a "major" news site.

astrosteve

Postby astrosteve » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:16 pm UTC

I've always wondered why news stories even have user comments. The easiest way to fix such a problem is to just not have comments. It's a news story, not an opinion piece.

Geekette

Postby Geekette » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm UTC

I've worked with various political campaigns and organizations - the reality is actually worse than this:

First, people aren't generally paid to do this. Instead, "volunteers" often do this sort of work. Having volunteers do it not only saves money, it allows for a wider range of commenter "voices". Why invent phony profiles, when you can just have your volunteers sign-up, log-in, and say what they really think - which, as volunteers, is going to be passionately in your favor. I've heard of volunteers/staff being given professionally written comments to post, but I've never actually seen this done. I think most communication experts now realize that it is more important to retain authenticity by letting them phrase things in their own terms.

Second, politicians, PACS, and various other political groups often know when an article is going to be released about them or their issues in major newsfeeds. For starters, the candidates/organizers know who interviewed them (or their underlings), when, and on what topics. If, say, a reporter from the LA Times just interviewed you (or attended your press conference) on a specific topic, then you know an article is likely to appear in the LA Times sometime within the next 24hours on that topic. Moreover, candidates & organizers often develop relationships with reporters. (This is good for the reporters as it allows them greater access.) That relationship allows you to have a strong understanding of what the reporters take will be on a particular subject. Also, reporters will frequently tell their subjects when an article is going to "go live". This gives you ample opportunity to prepare everyone for commenting and lets them know the topic and spin of the article so they can plan out their comments. (Note that these comments are made without actually READING the article first.)

I've personally participated in "comment parties" (my term). This happen when a known major article is about to go live on an issue of critical importance to your campaign/organization. They handout cell phones, netbooks, tablets, and/or laptops to everyone. (Using different devices provides a variety of distinct IP addresses. Sometime, they'll use conference calls to connect people in different parts of the state/country/world - further diversifying the IP locations.) People refresh the page continuously until the article appears. The moment it does, the announcement is made: "It's live", or simply: "Go". Then everyone leaves comments (some people will grab unused devices and post multiple times with accounts of invented profiles, others will just post once). To me, the most fun part is watching the opposition try to derail your comment storm with their own comment party storm. Those dicks.

Oh, and if you think variations of this didn't happen prior to the existence of social media - think again! Traditional media tactics included "planted editorials" in which a campaign manager or PR expert would write a polished, professional editorial pushing their issue/candidate and then have a random volunteer sign it and submit it under their own name to newspapers across the state/country. (Personally, I always refused to do this. Comment parties are just me posting my real opinions as quickly as possible, planted editorials involve lying.)

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

The thesis flaw is that nobody reads comments.

Comments are there to write in when you disagree with the article.

An article that you can't disagree with is an article that goes unread, hence the comments. To draw readers of the article.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

hamjudo wrote:There was a political protest in an area with no parking, so the protesters met in a community college parking lot, and took buses to the protest. The highest rated comment in the newspaper was purportedly written by a community college employee who was horribly disadvantaged on her way to work by, among other things, all of the extra parking lot use.

The astroturfer could have gone on to write about how horrible the rest of her day was, since the community college was closed that day.

Was she paid that day? That's the make or break for me.

rhhardin wrote:The thesis flaw is that nobody reads comments.

Comments are there to write in when you disagree with the article.

An article that you can't disagree with is an article that goes unread, hence the comments. To draw readers of the article.

^this so much this.
"Hello I am writing to say how much I agree with this news article and to the high quality of jouralism that your website provides."
Yea right. The only time I ever heard of positive comments were when my sister was a driver for a ride at Busch Gardens.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

JediMaster012 wrote:While I definitely get the premise of the comic, the wording seems off and is highly confusing. "Paying college students to post the first few comments ... giving you the last word"

If the comments are posted in the order they are submitted, why does the first post give you the last word. Wouldn't the last post give you the last word?

The first word I just typed is the first word in the sentence, because the words are typed in the order I typed them. I'll be coming back to this in a moment.

Most people, when reading a news bit, will read to the end of the bit and maybe the first five or six comments.

If your quoted text is the news story, and my first sentence is the reply, that means the last thing the average person will monkey dishwater applesauce read is "The first word I just typed"

So having the first four to five posts in a comment thread means whatever they're saying will be the last word. Also, unless the username is funny, people rarely read the usernames of who is posting what. As an added bonus, I have included a bit of text that doesn't belong at all in this reply to any post, so just let it go and don't point it out in a reply. Or this. Here's an example of how the comment thread will read in a News Bit.

Lots of News Text Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble LOUDNOISES Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Bibble Babble Bobble Summary Sentence
Comments

"I disagree! Candidate X is the best choice!" - XLover38

"I agree! Candidate X also supports Law Y, which is equally good." - YesOnY

"Indubitably, for Candidate X supports it, and Candidate X is awesome!" XLover39

"I think Candidate R's support of Law T is shameful, really." - YesToY <--- Point in which most people stop reading comments and are already angrily replying to the first post.

"Candidate R eats babies." - XLover40

"This joke got old before it even started" - 2ndTalnSux

*The first actual post by an independent reader*
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

How about sorting posts by IP address, allowing viewers to easily filter out spammers, assholes and those without a decent grasp of spelling and grammar.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

SoaG

Postby SoaG » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

A lot of posts about the merits/shortcomings of various post ordering methods.

Is not the real problem that peer consensus is even a factor for something as important as an election?

If people would think for themselves, or not vote on what they haven't thought about, consensus among comments wouldn't matter, only the substance would.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

What about no comments at all? Who the hell reads comments on news articles anyway? It's usually filled with ill-informed people who either really agree, really disagree, or spammers. And most comments are of the "Youtube" form: poorly written short bursts of thought without any structure.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Sharon_Gaughan

Postby Sharon_Gaughan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

Having run several websites with a comment feature, I believe that the most influential comment is the one never posted (which is most of them, by far). What is left unsaid usually makes more sense and exerts more influence by its absence.

Ronsonic

Postby Ronsonic » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

Of course this plan fails when your hired college kids succumb and start racing each other to post "FIRST!!!!!!11"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”