1024: "Error Code Monkey"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Al-pocalypse
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:35 am UTC
Location: Blighty
Contact:

1024: "Error Code Monkey"

Postby Al-pocalypse » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:19 am UTC

Image

http://xkcd.com/1024/

Title Text: It has a section on the motherboard beep codes that lists, for the beep pattern, a song that links up well with it.
Last edited by Al-pocalypse on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

User avatar
Quicksilver
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am UTC

1024: "Error Code"

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:20 am UTC

Image
http://xkcd.com/1024/
Alt text:"It has a section on motherboard beep codes that lists, for each beep pattern, a song that syncs up well with it."

User avatar
Quicksilver
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:21 am UTC

Damn, beaten by a minute. What is that yellow thing in the lake?

Pi is exactly three
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:33 pm UTC
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby Pi is exactly three » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:24 am UTC

Wow. That's gorgeous.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

nowhereman
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby nowhereman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:26 am UTC

I wonder what beep code best fits "Man in a Box" by AiC. Or would that be listed under head crash for hard drives?
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

LordHorst
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:17 am UTC

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby LordHorst » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:28 am UTC

I wonder if that book also has a list of the "Guru Meditation" codes? Would be really helpful and I guess a lot quicker to look it up in a book than to search on the internet and running across various 404 or 503 sites.

DustinErnst
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby DustinErnst » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:28 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:What is that yellow thing in the lake?

Wild tennis ball.


Sometimes I wonder if the comic might be written around some exceptionally different or interesting picture he came up with and wanted to show us.

leifbk
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Bærum, Norway
Contact:

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby leifbk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 am UTC

I want that book :D

Taymon
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Taymon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:35 am UTC

We need to defictionalize this thing.

Eutychus
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 am UTC
Location: France

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Eutychus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 am UTC

Just when I think xkcd has gone off the boil, something like this comes along.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 am UTC

Eat your heart out, Monet.

Frenchy
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Frenchy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:42 am UTC

Heh, the lake is playing Pacman.

User avatar
Covane
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:25 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Covane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:52 am UTC

Is Randall using comics as an excuse to draw beautiful pictures going to be a thing now?

Because I would like that.

User avatar
Vrishna
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:17 am UTC
Location: Germany

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Vrishna » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:54 am UTC

Not sure why this is coming to my mind right now, but I'd like recommend this movie to you: "Thirteen Lakes" by James Benning. Rarely screened because of its experimental nature, but stunningly beautiful and definitely to be watched on the big screen (i.e. not at home). Here's kind of a review/essay on it: http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2005/36/james_benning-2/
Wanna find out my Christian name? Can you guess by looking at this Perl code?

Code: Select all

$e=length(open(S,$0).<S>);
$GM=!$l||9;for(join$v,<S>)
{$m=join$w,/\$(\w)/gm;for(
split/$xxx/,$m){print chr(
ord()-$e/7);}}if($r){exit}

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:What is that yellow thing in the lake?


there's 4 of them, they all look like the same thing mirrored and resized, I assume they are supposed to be water lilies. but you'd assume if they were, they'd look a bit more like actual water lilies, and not yellow boxing gloves/tiny rucksacks/ squashed tennis balls, it's not like they're hard to draw.

Image

Mega1mpact
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:01 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Mega1mpact » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 am UTC

I would buy that book

pareidolon
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:59 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby pareidolon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:07 am UTC

This reminds me a lot of Randall's early comics, which were more scenic. In particular, 13, 59, 77... okay I was just clicking through them to try to find that one where they get lost. But yeah, I really like this sort of scenic existential post, at least when used in moderation :)

xarob
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 am UTC

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby xarob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:13 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:What is that yellow thing in the lake?


there's 4 of them, they all look like the same thing mirrored and resized, I assume they are supposed to be water lilies. but you'd assume if they were, they'd look a bit more like actual water lilies, and not yellow boxing gloves/tiny rucksacks/ squashed tennis balls, it's not like they're hard to draw.

Image


They close up at night and open during the day. Judging by the sky, I'd say the picture was meant to be just after dawn or around dusk.

Nice picture and beautiful concept! :D

User avatar
StClair
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby StClair » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:20 am UTC

Let's hope that error never comes up during a time- or mission-critical project.

Chris G
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:20 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Chris G » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 am UTC

Am I the only one who noticed that this is comic #10000000000?

mievaan
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby mievaan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:What is that yellow thing in the lake?


there's 4 of them, they all look like the same thing mirrored and resized, I assume they are supposed to be water lilies. but you'd assume if they were, they'd look a bit more like actual water lilies, and not yellow boxing gloves/tiny rucksacks/ squashed tennis balls, it's not like they're hard to draw.

Image


I'd say they are Yellow Water Lilies, or Nuphar lutea, a different species than that one in the picture, and they are instantaneously recognizable if you are used to seeing them. Only found in Europe, Asia and Africa though.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby VectorZero » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 am UTC

Similar to one of my favourite Dresden Codak comics.
Image
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

n079614
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby n079614 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 am UTC

-42 is the answer to what was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

Rez Delnava
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Rez Delnava » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 am UTC

I would buy a poster print of this.

And I second the motion to defictionalize.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:50 am UTC

xarob wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:What is that yellow thing in the lake?


there's 4 of them, they all look like the same thing mirrored and resized, I assume they are supposed to be water lilies. but you'd assume if they were, they'd look a bit more like actual water lilies, and not yellow boxing gloves/tiny rucksacks/ squashed tennis balls, it's not like they're hard to draw.

Image


They close up at night and open during the day. Judging by the sky, I'd say the picture was meant to be just after dawn or around dusk.

Nice picture and beautiful concept! :D


i suppose you could be, and probably are right, this is the best picture i could find, and it looks pretty similar.

Image

Andromeda321
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby Andromeda321 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
xarob wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:What is that yellow thing in the lake?


there's 4 of them, they all look like the same thing mirrored and resized, I assume they are supposed to be water lilies. but you'd assume if they were, they'd look a bit more like actual water lilies, and not yellow boxing gloves/tiny rucksacks/ squashed tennis balls, it's not like they're hard to draw.

Image


They close up at night and open during the day. Judging by the sky, I'd say the picture was meant to be just after dawn or around dusk.

Nice picture and beautiful concept! :D


i suppose you could be, and probably are right, this is the best picture i could find, and it looks pretty similar.

Image


I've seen pond lilies like the ones in the second picture on a lake in New Hampshire, so I'm guessing those are the kind Randall is thinking about. I definitely recognized them as such at least.

I've gotta say, as someone who has been at a boot camp of programming this week this comic really made me feel a helluva lot better about things today. Might have to go sit by a lake. :D

Alltat
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

Re: 1024: Error Code

Postby Alltat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:25 am UTC

mievaan wrote:I'd say they are Yellow Water Lilies, or Nuphar lutea, a different species than that one in the picture, and they are instantaneously recognizable if you are used to seeing them. Only found in Europe, Asia and Africa though.

I was just about to say that. The pictured water lilies are definitely a nuphar species. I grew up next to a pond full of water lilies that looked just like the ones in the picture - flowers consisting of a few large, mostly closed petals.

Tova
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Tova » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:34 am UTC

Now this is the xkcd that I know and love.

User avatar
fmaf
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:37 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby fmaf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 am UTC

I didn't understand this last one. Is the lake supposed to represent the pacman game?
:) I'm sorry for my nobeness...

User avatar
Mat
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:19 pm UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby Mat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 am UTC

Rez Delnava wrote:I would buy a poster print of this.

And I second the motion to defictionalize.

This.

*throws money at screen*

User avatar
yves
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby yves » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 am UTC

I was expecting a special 2^10 comic.

Regardless, a very nice comic.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 am UTC

yves wrote:I was expecting a special 2^10 comic.

Regardless, a very nice comic.


weren't we all. but yeah this is a damn nice comic.

tizzaran
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:51 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby tizzaran » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:55 am UTC

yves wrote:I was expecting a special 2^10 comic.


Aren't you glad you got one? I don't imagine this was an accident.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:00 pm UTC

Great artwork. In fact, the only criticism I have is that the dialogue at the end is completely unnecessary. Cut those lines off and the comic is pretty much perfect.

heltonbiker
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:43 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby heltonbiker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:16 pm UTC

Wow

Way over the top.

Now I have a good milestone to start studying parametric image creation with HTML5 Canvas, at last.

User avatar
dotancohen
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:18 am UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby dotancohen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

Chris G wrote:Am I the only one who noticed that this is comic #10000000000?


I just came to post the same thing. A nice, round number for a nice, well-rounded topic.

User avatar
thesingingaccountant
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:18 pm UTC
Location: My trusty tablet, most likely

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby thesingingaccountant » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

I LOVE this comic. Every self-help book and owner's manual should be filled with pictures like this one.

**EDIT: I guess I expected something a little more flashy and cool for the big 1024 milestone, but now that I think about it, this is perfect. It's a fantastic example of Randall's art and a lovely thought to get us through Friday. Looking forward to 2048. :-)

SirMustapha wrote:Great artwork. In fact, the only criticism I have is that the dialogue at the end is completely unnecessary. Cut those lines off and the comic is pretty much perfect.


So.

It has come to this.
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

User avatar
SerMufasa
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm UTC
Location: Casterley Rock

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby SerMufasa » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:35 pm UTC

Very nice. I disagree with SirMustapha, tho, regarding the last comment. The "it hasn't been wrong yet" is a great line.

... I wonder how many motherboard beep codes go with Bad Romance?
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

User avatar
ModestMouse
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby ModestMouse » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:03 pm UTC

You far sighted fools! There are not "four" water lillies like you claim! Get some glasses, you blind, befuddled, rabid bats. There are 'five' water lillies! Morans! No wonder the world is such a mess. Cripes!

Oh. Whoops. My apologies. The 'fifth' lilly was a piece of omlette on my monitor. :oops:

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1024: "Error Code"

Postby cellocgw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:12 pm UTC

StClair wrote:Let's hope that error never comes up during a time- or mission-critical project.


Actually that's the best time for that error. To quote Samuel Shem, "The first thing to do in a case of cardiac arrest is to take your own pulse."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 52 guests