1029: "Drawing Stars"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1029: "Drawing Stars"

Postby bmonk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

ut_icedragon wrote:
thesingingaccountant wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Friday, on xkcd: How to Draw Stick Figures, and How Hard It Is to Connect Heads to Necks.

So.

It has come to this.

Double WIN!

Thanks for making me fall out of my chair laughing at BOTH posts.

Cheers

In accordance with prophecy.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

Just according to keikaku.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Zrana

Postby Zrana » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

I'm not sure if I'm invoking spirit or water. Or if I'm considered inverting something else. My stars are angled with it's starting point in the upper right.

I'm going to say invoking water as there's less rotating to get to that spot.

With all the earth banishing going on, does this mean all the continents are going to half fall into the see as the water levels rise?

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
the_bandersnatch wrote:
Diadem wrote:At first I thought he was accidently drawing a star of David, and that is why the commentator wanted to abort (because of associations with nazism).
a star of David
associations with nazism

Wat.

Yes, really
Of course it's a Jewish religious symbol. And it's fine for Jews to use it. But it's one of those symbols that you really can't use as a non-Jew without very unfortunate implications.

Yeah, this confuses me too as an American. I'm well aware of Stars of David that the Nazis made Jews wear. There's absolutely no connotation that I've ever seen in this part of the world that a non-Jew who draws it is trying to evoke the Nazis' use of it though. That is not, of course, to say that those connotations don't exist in other parts of the world, but it's simply not part of the cultural dynamic anywhere I've ever lived.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

Let's try an explanation that diverges from the numerological i.e. something approaching practical ...

Vi Hart's Doodling in Math Class: Stars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfJzrmS9UfY

Also, something about Pi Day.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Of course it's a Jewish religious symbol. And it's fine for Jews to use it. But it's one of those symbols that you really can't use as a non-Jew without very unfortunate implications.
What are the implications? That you're posing as a Jew?

IMO a non-jew wearing a Jewish star connotes something like an I-am-sparticus noble sacrifice, rather than anything negative.
-Adam

pierreb

Postby pierreb » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
Diadem wrote:Of course it's a Jewish religious symbol. And it's fine for Jews to use it. But it's one of those symbols that you really can't use as a non-Jew without very unfortunate implications.

IMO a non-jew wearing a Jewish star a connotation like an I-am-sparticus noble sacrifice.

Godwyn's lawed, over.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

Umm Pierreb, we're discussing the associations between a Jewish religious symbol and the actions of the Nazi party, it's going to be difficult not to meet the criteria for Godwin! Here, allow me to explain: http://xkcd.com/261/
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

That's half of a binary star.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:

IMO a non-jew wearing a Jewish star connotes something like an I-am-sparticus noble sacrifice, rather than anything negative.

Oh sure, didn't you know a non-Jew wearing the Star of David turns them into a Golem. Or Madonna. Whichever is worse, my precious...

threedognice

Postby threedognice » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:24 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:that is why the commentator wanted to abort (because of associations with nazism)

You gotta be making it up. This is nuts.

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

I'm convinced there's a military conspiracy behind making 5-pointed stars hard to draw. Why? Well, look at the center of a properly-drawn 5-pointed star. What do you see?

That's right. It's the Pentagon's fault! :mrgreen:

Tulicloure

Postby Tulicloure » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

Pff, stars...
Try drawing a perfect heart!

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 pm UTC

Mine start out as fire banishers, but then the "legs" go on the top and the single point is on the bottom. No idea what that means.

readerofxkcd

Postby readerofxkcd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thought this was a Logo joke?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

Sunidesus wrote:Mine start out as fire banishers, but then the "legs" go on the top and the single point is on the bottom. No idea what that means.

You're trying to banish someone else's fire, and thus have promising a career as a fireman or a divorce lawyer.

My stars are in earth-banishing order, but they always wind up with the bottom points biggest and the top one smallest, so they look like the star equivalent of that 94-year-old guy with his belt pulled up to his sternum.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

I have the hardest time drawing the &
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Friday, on xkcd: How to Draw Stick Figures, and How Hard It Is to Connect Heads to Necks.

Hey now! Have you ever tried to draw stick figures? Half the time I pretend I'm drawing Nearly-Headless Nick to save myself from ridicule!

Just because the Nazis used an already-existing symbol for Jews does not make the symbol associated with Nazis. Can you people get any sillier? That's like saying the (Christian) cross is a KKK symbol because they would burn them in people's yards.

I'm pretty sure the earth-banishing method is the predominant way in the United States, or at least the western United States. I grew up there, and thats how we learned in public school. I also have seen very very few people do it differently. (Of course, I haven't observed many people draw pentagrams. [lightbulb] Idea for another statistics-based project!)
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:I have the hardest time drawing the &

Would it help if I told you that Latin for "and" is Et?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

Except you save more effort just learning how to draw it- could even do it pointy. A line from bottom-right up to the diagonal-left, out to the right a little bit, and then cross the original line twice. That's how I do it anyway...
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

Joepat

Postby Joepat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

Wow. I had no idea that I was invoking spirits this whole time. Is that why everyone avoids me? :roll:

This kind of reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes. And no Pi day/Albert Einstein's Birthday comic? Randal, I am disappoint.
Δgirls*Δscience≥h/4π

"P. S. Please if you get a chanse put some flown on Algernons grave in the bak yard."

Icalasari wrote:I don't care how ugly it may look. It instantly becomes cute if it tries giving you a hug

Дерсу Узала

Postby Дерсу Узала » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

Draco18s wrote:In response to the comic:
Continue, continue! You'll make an 8 pointed star!

Exactly what I thought when I glanced at the strip. I thought, "oh, today's xkcd is about drawing a regular {8/3} octagram." Who says that those boring pentagrams are so special? My personal favorite n-gram is the {7/2} heptagram:

Image.

Does anyone know why the pentagram has become standard in our culture? Are there other cultures that have a different number of points on their standard iconographic star-shape?

WizenedEE

Postby WizenedEE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

This is my favorite way to draw stars (Tip: It really freaks people out if you do this to grade tests while they're watching)
drawingstar.gif
drawingstar.gif (33.67 KiB) Viewed 5549 times

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:27 am UTC

ekolis wrote:Or, if you'd rather not be Jewish, and would prefer the Hylian religion...

Side note: Anyone else remember the Nintendo DS RTS/RPG hybrid "Lost Magic"? Whoever can't draw a star is not going to do very well at that game... the third level light spell is a star! (And the first level light spell is the sign of the cross...)

edit: fixed img tag
I've actually considered the fact that the Triforce was a modified star of david before.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

drstilldc

Postby drstilldc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 am UTC

HAHAA i totally remember having no idea how to draw a star back in the day. This is exactly how I always skrewed it up.

Shidoshi

Postby Shidoshi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 am UTC

JimsMaher wrote:Let's try an explanation that diverges from the numerological i.e. something approaching practical ...

Nice video! It covers pretty much all the discussion on stars until now, except that silly part about Nazism, Jews and the six-pointed star.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 am UTC

ekolis wrote:Side note: Anyone else remember the Nintendo DS RTS/RPG hybrid "Lost Magic"? Whoever can't draw a star is not going to do very well at that game... the third level light spell is a star! (And the first level light spell is the sign of the cross...)

talking of games, there is a Wii game, one of the Trauma Centre series, where you have the ability to slow down time by drawing a star, which is pretty important for latter levels.

teppic75

Postby teppic75 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 am UTC

Clayh wrote:Title Text: Screw these 36-degree angles. I'm converting to Judaism.

Problem: how large should you draw a pentagram on planet Earth, so that the angles on the points become 90-degree? :wink:

DarkLoaf

Postby DarkLoaf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

soraos21 wrote:I've always been invoking air with every star I draw. Now I think I know why the weather has been following me around the country.

I always invoke air as well. Are you left-handed perchance? My guess is that most Earth banishing drawers are right-handed.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:36 pm UTC

DarkLoaf wrote:
soraos21 wrote:I've always been invoking air with every star I draw. Now I think I know why the weather has been following me around the country.

I always invoke air as well. Are you left-handed perchance? My guess is that most Earth banishing drawers are right-handed.

I'm a lefty and I banish spirit which starts with the same line as invoking air, just going clockwise instead of anti-clockwise,

If you were to draw a circle (or the letter O), would you start at the bottom and draw it anticlockwise? I personally, like when drawing stars, would start at the top and draw it clockwise, as with writing I generally start letters from the top, (except capitals A and M)

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

teppic75 wrote:
Clayh wrote:Title Text: Screw these 36-degree angles. I'm converting to Judaism.

Problem: how large should you draw a pentagram on planet Earth, so that the angles on the points become 90-degree? :wink:

Oh, you mean, construct a pentagramma mirificum?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

B Z wrote:36-degree angles? Shouldn't that be 72-degree, or am I missing something?
If you draw a line from the center two one of the points and another line from the center to an adjacent point, the angle between them will be 72°. However, the internal angle of a single point is a mere 36°.

Here's a totally sexy Wikipedia page on the matter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_polygon
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

Dogfish44

Postby Dogfish44 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

WolfieMario wrote:
Spoiler:
http://www.shadowsofoz.net/basics/Pentagrams.gif

So... I invoke water. That would explain the weather here in Britain D:<

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:22 pm UTC

Shidoshi wrote:
JimsMaher wrote:Let's try an explanation that diverges from the numerological i.e. something approaching practical ...

Nice video! It covers pretty much all the discussion on stars until now, except that silly part about Nazism, Jews and the six-pointed star.

Godwin be damned, that it's a "law" just re-emphasizes the possibility of one specific line of conversation in peoples' minds. And that's lame.
Anyway, I really don't understand the religious fascination with symbolism:

Monumental: In Search of America's National Treasure
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Monumental:_In_Search_of_America%27s_National_Treasure

Frankly I'm surprised this forum appears to buy into as much of that belief as it has ... sarcastically, ironically, or satirically ... I guess that should be expected.

Squashua

Postby Squashua » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

Ken_g6 wrote:I'm convinced there's a military conspiracy behind making 5-pointed stars hard to draw. Why? Well, look at the center of a properly-drawn 5-pointed star. What do you see?

That's right. It's the Pentagon's fault! :mrgreen:

Popularity of the 5-pointed star? All signs point to The Illuminati. fnord

devopablo

Postby devopablo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

Man I'm glad someone made a comic about how hard it is to draw stars, because seriously...who would have ever known? I mean, it's not like drawing stars is easy, guys, come on.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

Et tu, Brute?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

Don't know whether this has been posted or not, but it needed to be.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfJzrmS9UfY&feature=g-vrec&context=G2942fd5RVAAAAAAAACQ
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:54 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
Роберт wrote:

Et tu, Brute?

I'm not sure my point was gotten. The ampersand in the font he's doing is just a stylized et.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

Probably not, since the typical ampersand symbol in use today bears only a passing resemblance to the Et ligature that inspired it. And writing & by hand is absolutely nothing like writing Et by hand.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”