1060: “Crowdsourcing”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

1060: “Crowdsourcing”

Postby Qaanol » Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1060/

Title: We don't sell products; we sell the marketplace. And by 'sell the marketplace' we mean 'play shooters, sometimes for upwards of 20 hours straight.'

Ah, middlemen. Extracting cash without adding wealth. Yum.
wee free kings

rhomboidal

Re: 1060: “Crowdsourcing”

Postby rhomboidal » Fri May 25, 2012 4:04 am UTC

And I think you have to have at least a Master's to not be automatically narcotized by flowcharts.

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Fri May 25, 2012 4:13 am UTC

Crowdsourcing, it's like, just when you think the internet is tapped out, bingo! another surge of buzzword bonanza strikes...which is just as well, becuause i am just about sick to death of hearing about that fucking cloud.
it's fine.

ebrophy

Postby ebrophy » Fri May 25, 2012 4:17 am UTC

Manufacturer* rather than manufacterer. Boy am I glad that I read this comic quickly enough to point that out first! :P

dangerp

Postby dangerp » Fri May 25, 2012 4:59 am UTC

whateveries wrote:Crowdsourcing, it's like, just when you think the internet is tapped out, bingo! another surge of buzzword bonanza strikes...which is just as well, becuause i am just about sick to death of hearing about that fucking cloud.

Is that anything like the regular cloud?

http://xkcd.com/90/

Isaac

Postby Isaac » Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:Ah, middlemen. Extracting cash without adding wealth. Yum.

I believe you've just demonstrated a greater understanding of basic economics than either Ben Bernanke, Tim Geithner or Paul Krugman possess.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 am UTC

Goddamnit, Randall!

At least let us finish round 1 funding before exposing the business plan!

gormster

Postby gormster » Fri May 25, 2012 5:38 am UTC

Isaac wrote:

I believe you've just demonstrated a greater understanding of basic economics than either Ben Bernanke, Tim Geithner or Paul Krugman possess.

Except that's almost always not true. If middlemen were valueless nobody would use them, unless they have a monopoly. Which is not that uncommon... but still, middlemen like Amazon or iTunes provide a bunch of valuable services to both seller and buyer. Middelmen exist to make life easier for the people on opposite ends of complex transactions.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 25, 2012 5:50 am UTC

whateveries wrote:Crowdsourcing, it's like, just when you think the internet is tapped out, bingo! another surge of buzzword bonanza strikes...which is just as well, becuause i am just about sick to death of hearing about that fucking cloud.

I just had a great idea: Cloudsourcing! BRB making flowcharts.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri May 25, 2012 6:23 am UTC

Isn't this what all "consulting" is?

Whys

Postby Whys » Fri May 25, 2012 6:24 am UTC

I've always said that the secret to making money is selling something you don't have. Infinite supply and no overhead.

Isaac

Postby Isaac » Fri May 25, 2012 6:41 am UTC

gormster wrote:
Isaac wrote:

Except that's almost always not true. If middlemen were valueless nobody would use them, unless they have a monopoly. Which is not that uncommon... but still, middlemen like Amazon or iTunes provide a bunch of valuable services to both seller and buyer. Middelmen exist to make life easier for the people on opposite ends of complex transactions.

Even when middlemen provide value, do not produce wealth. They may facilitate the creation of wealth, but do not create it themselves. Which makes it desirable to remove them when possible but it doesn't make them parasitic. I probably should of snipped out "Ah, middlemen" and changed "wealth" to "value", but I also set the bar for basic understanding of economics pretty low.

[edited for clarity]

Soma

Postby Soma » Fri May 25, 2012 6:49 am UTC

StClair wrote:Isn't this what all "consulting" is?

Only consulting involving the work "business" or "management" in anyway. As a it consultant I do shitloads of work each day. Real work. Coding and junk

Stotherd

Postby Stotherd » Fri May 25, 2012 7:24 am UTC

Whys wrote:I've always said that the secret to making money is selling something you don't have. Infinite supply and no overhead.

Look up Derivatives, on the stock market. The actual definition of a derivative is so ridiculous, its basically something that doesn't exist and might not ever exist.

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Fri May 25, 2012 7:49 am UTC

Isaac wrote:Even when middlemen provide value, do not produce wealth. They may facilitate the creation of wealth, but do not create it themselves. Which makes it desirable to remove them when possible but it doesn't make them parasitic.

Ahh, "when possible". That part makes it possible to fudge your statement to mean almost anything.

It's pretty much tautological that if middlemen weren't useful, they wouldn't exist.

I'm a freelance translator; occasionally I take work through translation agencies. They take a cut in exchange for taking care of the troublesome non-translating work like advertising in order to find clients. If I had to do that myself, it'd indirectly cost me money because it'd be time spent not actually getting paid. Is the money I save by not having to spend time on marketing more than the money I lose to the middleman? Well, in my case, usually not, but occasionally. If the answer were "never" for all translators, then agencies wouldn't exist; thus, the fact that they exist proves that they're sometimes worth it (= produce wealth by comparative advantage).

Edit: to clarify my final parenthetical statement, which may have been too big of a jump for some, in a case in which a freelance translator chooses to work through an agency instead of finding clients on his/her own, it's because the monetary value of the time saved is greater than the money lost; hence, the freelancer comes out economically ahead. The agency, given that it's staying in business, is also coming out economically ahead. Thus the total wealth in the system is greater than if the freelancer/agency relationship didn't exist. Incidentally, the only way that both can come out ahead is if the agency has comparative advantage over the freelancer with respect to marketing vs. translating (and vice versa). Thus, the fact that wealth is produced by this transaction is due to comparative advantage, as always.
Last edited by Istaro on Fri May 25, 2012 7:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tabularasa

Postby tabularasa » Fri May 25, 2012 7:49 am UTC

Brilliant. You sure don't mind I patented that concept right away. :D

WontonSoup

Postby WontonSoup » Fri May 25, 2012 7:56 am UTC

This College Humor video was the first thing I thought of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMmdl4VltD4

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri May 25, 2012 8:07 am UTC

Desk jockeys like myself have it quite good, sure there's lulls from time to time in work, but you're important for supporting the company while others are at meetings, or at least I am. I deal with a variety of tasks; from license renewal, making quotes, placing orders, keeping track of deliveries and jotting down messages from people who call up asking for other staff members. Obviously being the middleman makes you a target from both management and clients, but if you can handle that you'll be an essential part of a business model. It's funny how reliant some businesses are on the middleman. You never think it's important until you put it into perspective.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 25, 2012 9:47 am UTC

Istaro wrote:Edit: to clarify my final parenthetical statement, which may have been too big of a jump for some, in a case in which a freelance translator chooses to work through an agency instead of finding clients on his/her own, it's because the monetary value of the time saved is greater than the money lost; hence, the freelancer comes out economically ahead. The agency, given that it's staying in business, is also coming out economically ahead. Thus the total wealth in the system is greater than if the freelancer/agency relationship didn't exist. Incidentally, the only way that both can come out ahead is if the agency has comparative advantage over the freelancer with respect to marketing vs. translating (and vice versa). Thus, the fact that wealth is produced by this transaction is due to comparative advantage, as always.

To take this even further: in a sense, every service provider of any sort is a middle man. Why do people pay a restaurant to serve them food when they could just buy it form the store directly? Because it saves them the trouble of going to the store(s) to get all the ingredients and then the time to cook them, both of which the restaurant is much better at (well-designed supply chain and trained chefs). Even buying food from the store, why bother with the middle man when you can just buy everything direct from the manufacturer or farmer? Because it saves you the time of locating a manufacturer or farmer of the food you're interested in (never mind discovering that that kind of food exists), contacting them each individually, and arranging to have them shipped to you. For that matter, why pay someone else to truck your food from the farmer or manufacturer? Why pay someone else to make or grow or raise your food? I mean, you could cut out all the middle men and do it all yourself. Everybody did, for thousands of years. And nobody had any time to do anything else, until we started letting the people who were best at each part handle that part for all of us better than we could handle it ourselves, in exchange for us doing whatever parts we're each best at better than everybody else could do it themselves. Which means a software engineer now relies on a huge chain of middle men to do something as basic as eat food. But, thanks to middle men, we now have time to do things like build machines, engines, electronics, computers, write code, architect software, and increasingly abstract kinds of "real work", not to mention all the much more indirectly productive activity which goes on in places like academia.

The only time middle men are a problem is when they are the arbitrary gatekeepers or something, and without them people's access to their needs would be less inhibited. If someone is intentionally restricting the availability of something just so they can be in the position of meting it out in trade, then they are a net drain on the system. And in a free, competitive, well-functioning system, networks of services would route around such people as damage to the network. When they can't be routed around, that's an indication that something is systemically broken.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

babble

Postby babble » Fri May 25, 2012 9:54 am UTC

Istaro wrote:
Isaac wrote:Even when middlemen provide value, do not produce wealth. They may facilitate the creation of wealth, but do not create it themselves. Which makes it desirable to remove them when possible but it doesn't make them parasitic.

Ahh, "when possible". That part makes it possible to fudge your statement to mean almost anything.

It's pretty much tautological that if middlemen weren't useful, they wouldn't exist.

I'm a freelance translator; occasionally I take work through translation agencies. They take a cut in exchange for taking care of the troublesome non-translating work like advertising in order to find clients. If I had to do that myself, it'd indirectly cost me money because it'd be time spent not actually getting paid. Is the money I save by not having to spend time on marketing more than the money I lose to the middleman? Well, in my case, usually not, but occasionally. If the answer were "never" for all translators, then agencies wouldn't exist; thus, the fact that they exist proves that they're sometimes worth it (= produce wealth by comparative advantage).

Edit: to clarify my final parenthetical statement, which may have been too big of a jump for some, in a case in which a freelance translator chooses to work through an agency instead of finding clients on his/her own, it's because the monetary value of the time saved is greater than the money lost; hence, the freelancer comes out economically ahead. The agency, given that it's staying in business, is also coming out economically ahead. Thus the total wealth in the system is greater than if the freelancer/agency relationship didn't exist. Incidentally, the only way that both can come out ahead is if the agency has comparative advantage over the freelancer with respect to marketing vs. translating (and vice versa). Thus, the fact that wealth is produced by this transaction is due to comparative advantage, as always.

I used to work for a translation agency and I should add that a lot of what I did was managing projects going into multiple languages, and quality control, ensuring consistency, etc, was a big part of the job. Also, writing notes for translators about slang, difficult phrases, etc, to help them which was something the clients often weren't set up to do. plus arranging and coordinating proofreading and other checking. Unless freelancers want to organise themselves into groups of,say,40 or 50 people working in 30+ territories and timezones and appoint someone to do that kind of work from amongst themselves, there's other actual essential *translation work* (as opposed to marketing, invoicing, etc) that agencies do best.

chapel

Postby chapel » Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 am UTC

Isn't this, more or less, how most job boards work?

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:we now have time to do things like build machines, engines, electronics, computers, write code, architect software, and increasingly abstract kinds of "real work"

You have used "architect" as a verb. You must be eliminated.
I looked out across the river today …

ModestMouse

Postby ModestMouse » Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am UTC

LOL - Nice cartoon. A little Dilbertesque, but with a few more teeth and a wider Cheshire grin.

ModestMouse

Postby ModestMouse » Fri May 25, 2012 11:37 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:we now have time to do things like build machines, engines, electronics, computers, write code, architect software, and increasingly abstract kinds of "real work"

But 'architect' has synergy and implies forward thinking. Radical_Initiator is a cutting edge game changer, his thinking is a change agent and is mission critical for change and progress.

I better stop now, getting too pumped up. My six sigma is getting aroused.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Fri May 25, 2012 12:10 pm UTC

gormster wrote:
Isaac wrote:

You are making an argument from theory.

In theory, if something is wrong people will stop it from happening. Therefore, nothing wrong will happen, and whatever happens must be OK. Whatever happens, somebody can make up a JustSo story to explain why it's the right thing to happen. Of course, some people will not believe some of the stories.

I think in practice it's a mixed bag. Sometimes people who provide useful services will be called "middlemen" and lumped in with the ones whose services are vastly overpriced. Just because something gets the label "middleman" doesn't mean it's useless or way overpriced. The label isn't enough, you'd need to look at individual cases to decide whether to try to avoid their services. Even if you don't see that they provide value to you, it might turn out that trying to avoid them costs more than it's worth.

Here is an argument about iTunes
http://www.iboxpublishing.com/index_com ... op_of_news

And about Amazon
http://www.iboxpublishing.com/index_com ... op_of_news
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri May 25, 2012 12:38 pm UTC

Stotherd wrote:
Whys wrote:I've always said that the secret to making money is selling something you don't have. Infinite supply and no overhead.

Look up Derivatives, on the stock market. The actual definition of a derivative is so ridiculous, its basically something that doesn't exist and might not ever exist.

To be fair, the actual definition of a bank is almost as dangerous. Banks exist (or used to in the "good old days" when they actually held money) because their depositors agree to pretend the money's there even though it's all been lent out to other ventures. All financial markets -- and transactions -- are based ultimately on faith. It's just that derivatives and CDswaps were and are so complicated that nobody can correctly evaluate their risk/earnings potential. Or, of course, they just plain lie about it to make money off the other suckers.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Fri May 25, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS, DAMMIT!
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Isaac

Postby Isaac » Fri May 25, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

Istaro wrote:

I think you are expecting an unreasonable level of concreteness.

I don't know of any serious market theories that claim that markets don't make mistakes, just that markets can be self-correcting..... the assumption that "it is therefore it is good", actually inhibits the self-correction mechanisms of markets. One such method is indeed what we are doing right now, questioning and debating the utility of a given good or service.

Pfhorrest wrote:To take this even further: in a sense, every service provider of any sort is a middle man. Why do people pay a restaurant to serve them food when they could just buy it form the store directly? Because it saves them the trouble of going to the store(s) to get all the ingredients and then the time to cook them, both of which the restaurant is much better at (well-designed supply chain and trained chefs).

I've worked in restaurants (Wendy's and Carl's Jr), and I'd like to know what restaurants you go to. If you can make a sandwich that isn't a pbj you know as much about cooking as most non-immigrant restaurant employees..... and the supply chain consists heavily of ingredients that have half-lives on par with uranium-238 and really low standards on what gets served, it really isn't some work of logistical brilliance or even logistical competence...... seriously, I've seen tomatoes that stay firm for a month after being cut (Wendy's) and have seen chicken that went into the charbroiler smelling rancid get served (at Carl's Jr.... not that it matters, at the temperature we cooked at I wouldn't worry about any pathogens, vitamins or protein structures being left)....

Even buying food from the store, why bother with the middle man when you can just buy everything direct from the manufacturer or farmer? Because it saves you the time of locating a manufacturer or farmer of the food you're interested in (never mind discovering that that kind of food exists), contacting them each individually, and arranging to have them shipped to you.

..... or you could go to a farmers market, I think you're over-complicating things.

I mean, you could cut out all the middle men and do it all yourself. Everybody did, for thousands of years. And nobody had any time to do anything else, until we started letting the people who were best at each part handle that part for all of us better than we could handle it ourselves, in exchange for us doing whatever parts we're each best at better than everybody else could do it themselves. Which means a software engineer now relies on a huge chain of middle men to do something as basic as eat food. But, thanks to middle men, we now have time to do things like build machines, engines, electronics, computers, write code, architect software, and increasingly abstract kinds of "real work", not to mention all the much more indirectly productive activity which goes on in places like academia.

..... given the massive spikes in preventable diseases, with many of the largest spikes linkable to dietary habits, I think it's safe to say that this particular division of labor isn't working so well......

[edited for clarity]
[edited to fix tags]
Last edited by Isaac on Fri May 25, 2012 6:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Fri May 25, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

This reminds me of the brilliance of Teefury - other folks design the products, Teefury prints & ships only what's ordered.
???
PROFIT

They have folks *competing* to provide their product!

Murderbot

Postby Murderbot » Fri May 25, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Istaro wrote:

Interestingly, translators are also middlemen. They stand in the middle between two parties, in order to facilitate communication.

JoeNiner

Postby JoeNiner » Fri May 25, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

This business model is also called "publishing".

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri May 25, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

You guys, middlemen do increase wealth.

Most manufacturers sell in bulk and thus the average individual could not buy the goods making the goods unsellable and worthless, the middleman buys things in bulk and distibutes them in smaller afordable quantities from canned peas to automobiles.

Factory makes goods, lets say little geisha bobbleheads, they can sell locally at 2 dollars apeice.
Now let's sat they are in China and their desired market base is in America, the shipping company moving transports the goods to a "buy-and-save" to be sold at $10 a pop as well as provide empoyment for everyone in between, now their value and thus wealth has increased.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Middleman

Eternal Density wrote:

I just had a great idea: Cloudsourcing! BRB making flowcharts.

:D Beat me to it. Damn...
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

blitz120

Postby blitz120 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 pm UTC

Oh me yarm! They've reinvented "stone soup"!

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Fri May 25, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

I think what he's saying is that they've inadvertently become management.

Although, honestly, "all the work in creating a product, minus design and manufacturing" is still a lot of work, especially if there are teams of complete strangers involved. Just ask.. anybody with the word "producer" in their job title.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Fri May 25, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:You guys, middlemen do increase wealth.

Most manufacturers sell in bulk and thus the average individual could not buy the goods making the goods unsellable and worthless, the middleman buys things in bulk and distibutes them in smaller afordable quantities from canned peas to automobiles.

It's certainly possible for somebody to fit the label "middleman" and still perform a valuable service.

It's even possible for them to fit that label and perform the service at a cost that pretty much everybody agrees is fair.

I think the word got its stink from the days that a few big distributors bought food from a whole lot of small farmers, and forced the farmers to sell at a low price, and then sold food to a whole lot of urban families at high prices which the families had no choice but to pay. When the railroad gave a nice big discount to a few great big distributors they had connections with, and charged extremely high prices to any competitor.... Well, but it was only supply and demand. If a free market did it, there can't be anything wrong, right?

Without any government interference, we'd get free competition and nothing bad could happen, right? I've heard it argued that the only thing that ever lets middlemen collect all the profits and not let anybody else have any, is government interference. Do you believe that?
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

phrase

Postby phrase » Fri May 25, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

ebrophy wrote:Manufacturer* rather than manufacterer. Boy am I glad that I read this comic quickly enough to point that out first! :P

You've made an impact!

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Fri May 25, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

Isaac wrote:I've worked in restaurants (Wendy's and Carl's Jr), and I'd like to know what restaurants you go to. If you can make a sandwich that isn't a pbj you know as much about cooking as most non-immigrant restaurant employees..... and the supply chain consists heavily of ingredients that have half-lives on par with uranium-238 and really low standards on what gets served, it really isn't some work of logistical brilliance or even logistical competence...... seriously, I've seen tomatoes that stay firm for a month after being cut (Wendy's) and have seen chicken that went into the charbroiler smelling rancid get served (at Carl's Jr.... not that it matters, at the temperature we cooked at I wouldn't worry about any pathogens, vitamins or protein structures being left)....

You're talking about fast food exclusively. The initial nutrient content is within rounding error.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

klausok

Postby klausok » Fri May 25, 2012 6:39 pm UTC

ModestMouse wrote:LOL - Nice cartoon. A little Dilbertesque, but with a few more teeth and a wider Cheshire grin.

Have you seen today's Dilbert?

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri May 25, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

ModestMouse wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:

But 'architect' has synergy and implies forward thinking. Radical_Initiator is a cutting edge game changer, his thinking is a change agent and is mission critical for change and progress.

I better stop now, getting too pumped up. My six sigma is getting aroused.

I can't help but feel that 'paradigm' should be somewhere in there as well. Also 'leveraging'. :D

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

J Thomas wrote:I think the word got its stink from the days that a few big distributors bought food from a whole lot of small farmers, and forced the farmers to sell at a low price, and then sold food to a whole lot of urban families at high prices which the families had no choice but to pay.

I remember those days vividly. The evil corporate suits holding the farmers at gunpoint as they emptied their silos of corn. The roving bands of yes men on motorcycles, setting up roadblocks to prevent direct association between supply and demand. I'm so glad Max Rockatansky came along guns blazing and established the FDA. Or was it the FTC?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”