1065: "Shoes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Clayh

1065: "Shoes"

Postby Clayh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:03 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1065/
Alt Text: "I *do* hear that they're the most comfortable thing to wear on your feet since sliced bread."
And I *do* love me some sliced bread...

EDIT: *thread get*
Last edited by Clayh on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rhomboidal

Re: 1065: "Shoes"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Ironically, the Magic Shoes Of Immortality have agonizingly poor arch support.

Mighty Flaming Frying Pan

Postby Mighty Flaming Frying Pan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 am UTC

However, they are amazingly comfortable. I wore my first pair so much I wore a hole in the sole. My second pair is doing good so far, and is still so comfortable it's not even funny.

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 am UTC

Great. More product-placement by Randall. Just watch the store page in the next week..

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:25 am UTC

Toe socks were awesome, back in 2005.

I guess this is just the same fad thing?

ChainsawPlankton

Postby ChainsawPlankton » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 am UTC

I bought a pair of these a few hours ago, I don't really like wearing shoes so I'm hoping they work out.

iChef

Postby iChef » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:30 am UTC

Could have been worse, it could have been the Segway of Immortality.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

aquabat

Postby aquabat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:41 am UTC

I picked up a pair of these about a month ago. They are pretty awesome. I run in bare feet, and these are great for training early in the running season, before my feet have had a chance to toughen up after getting soft over the winter. I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare in the first snowfall this autumn. Glasnt: you can even wear them with toe socks!

chiggerfruit

Postby chiggerfruit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 am UTC

I've been using Vibram Bikilas the past year and they have been wonderful. In regular running shoes, I have shin splints, knee, and ankle problems. I haven't had any of those issues ever since I put on the Vibrams. I'm one of those people that's quick to advertise for the brand - only when asked though, I promise! It's also pretty nice that I can throw them in the wash.

My only complaints are that I'm pretty sure I'm still not immortal, my family likes to tell me I have frog feet, and Sergey Brin thinks they're appropriate for social outings.

ve_

Postby ve_ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:45 am UTC

i even took them rock climbing. these are sick :)

but i wont try driving in them again.. quite slippy on the clutch.

aquabat

Postby aquabat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:49 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Ironically, the Magic Shoes Of Immortality have agonizingly poor arch support.

It's a feature, not a bug. I've found that my arches are self supporting, and they get stronger the more I use them. Go figure.

Milnoc

Postby Milnoc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:50 am UTC

iChef wrote:Could have been worse, it could have been the Segway of Immortality.

Or Crocs. :P

Brian-M

Postby Brian-M » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:51 am UTC

I shouldn't have visited the forum thread about this comic. If it hadn't been for your comments prompting me to Google it, I'd still be blissfully unaware that these travesties of style are a real product.

Thankfully I haven't seen anything of this nature in stores or on feet yet, and I hope I never do.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:02 am UTC

Technically, you're only immortal if you outrun death, and I don't think these are designed with running in mind.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:10 am UTC

Milnoc wrote:
iChef wrote:Could have been worse, it could have been the Segway of Immortality.

Or Crocs. :P

Smart car.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:15 am UTC

Alt Text: "I *do* hear that they're the most comfortable thing to wear on your feet since sliced bread."

Well, sliced bread WAS pretty darn comfortable on my feet... so I guess I'll have to give these a try.

deathinlonging

Postby deathinlonging » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:16 am UTC

I, too, have a pair of Vibram Bikilas (without laces). I think for my next pair I might actually get thinner ones. The Bikilas are really the thickest, most shoe-like model they have, especially if you get the laced version. They're extremely comfortable, and are also the quietest shoes I've ever worn (now that I've re-learned how to walk, anyways). The grip you get from the large surface area, even weight distribution, well-designed soles, and Vibram rubber is frankly astounding.

That said, you can't just walk in them like you do normal shoes. If you try walking heel to toe, you're going to regret it. I'm sure some people do it, but without the heel padding (and lift) or arch support provided by normal shoes, it's foolish. Instead, after doing some poking around on the internet, I settled on a variant of 'fox walking'. Place the outside ball of your foot onto the ground, but do not put your weight on it. Roll your foot inwards until the inside ball of your foot contacts the ground, then lower your heel. Once your heel is firmly planted on the ground, you THEN shift your weight. Impact is almost nonexistent, arch strain is minimal (although it does increase slightly when running, because you tend to put a bit more weight on your foot before the heel hits than you would while walking), noise is nonexistent, and you probably won't step on any sharp things or miss a step, because you can feel everything below your foot and the smooth movement allows you to pull back if something is wrong.

Regarding running, I can do it just fine. I just speed up the way I've learned to walk. if I need to sprint, I shift onto the balls of my feet and start bounding. I'd spent a long time walking and running on the balls of my feet whenever I felt like it prior to acquiring the Bikilas, and had developed the muscles necessary to do so comfortably. That said, when you first get these shoes (regardless of whether you try to walk heel to toe, fox walking, or some other variant) you may discover you haven't developed the muscles needed to use them properly. Also, it's crucial to get a pair that fit properly; this was difficult for me, because my big toe is very broad, and in order to get a pair that didn't squeeze it painfully tight (After a few hours, it became clear it wasn't go to adjust enough), I had to get a 43 (Started at 41). As a result, my other toes don't fit quite as tightly as they should, but they're close enough. I probably would have settled on a 42 had my big toe fit, and next pair I may try experimented with widening the toe. They're kind enough to provide a pretty good return policy, presumable aimed at allowing people to try different sizes and models.

EDIT: Striking with the midfoot is also a viable way of walking or running in these, although I happen to prefer the modified fox walk. If you're striking with the midfoot, I'd recommend altering your movement to prevent heavy strikes, seeing as these things have very little padding.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:28 am UTC

Why worry about how the shoes of outrunning death look? Just cut off the tops of some better-looking shoes and stick them on top.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:34 am UTC

If you resew them does it matter?

The Chosen One

Postby The Chosen One » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:51 am UTC

Maybe if you cut them into sandals, they will only double your lifespan. Totally worth it.
If you ever find yourself asking, "is the answer to the question, "is the answer to the question, "am I the only one?" no?" no?" The answer is still no, but you should probably close all those Logic Puzzles tabs and go to sleep.

orangustang

Postby orangustang » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:54 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Technically, you're only immortal if you outrun death, and I don't think these are designed with running in mind.

Actually, that kind of shoe is supposed to train you to run better. Heel-toe is not very efficient or fast. Running without heel striking is better in pretty much every way (though it does make your calves tired if you're not used to it), and that's how unpadded shoes train you to run.

ve_

Postby ve_ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 am UTC

deathinlonging wrote:I, too, have a pair of Vibram Bikilas (without laces). I think for my next pair I might actually get thinner ones. The Bikilas are really the thickest, most shoe-like model they have, especially if you get the laced version. They're extremely comfortable, and are also the quietest shoes I've ever worn (now that I've re-learned how to walk, anyways). The grip you get from the large surface area, even weight distribution, well-designed soles, and Vibram rubber is frankly astounding.

That said, you can't just walk in them like you do normal shoes. If you try walking heel to toe, you're going to regret it. I'm sure some people do it, but without the heel padding (and lift) or arch support provided by normal shoes, it's foolish. Instead, after doing some poking around on the internet, I settled on a variant of 'fox walking'. Place the outside ball of your foot onto the ground, but do not put your weight on it. Roll your foot inwards until the inside ball of your foot contacts the ground, then lower your heel. Once your heel is firmly planted on the ground, you THEN shift your weight. Impact is almost nonexistent, arch strain is minimal (although it does increase slightly when running, because you tend to put a bit more weight on your foot before the heel hits than you would while walking), noise is nonexistent, and you probably won't step on any sharp things or miss a step, because you can feel everything below your foot and the smooth movement allows you to pull back if something is wrong.

Regarding running, I can do it just fine. I just speed up the way I've learned to walk. if I need to sprint, I shift onto the balls of my feet and start bounding. I'd spent a long time walking and running on the balls of my feet whenever I felt like it prior to acquiring the Bikilas, and had developed the muscles necessary to do so comfortably. That said, when you first get these shoes (regardless of whether you try to walk heel to toe, fox walking, or some other variant) you may discover you haven't developed the muscles needed to use them properly. Also, it's crucial to get a pair that fit properly; this was difficult for me, because my big toe is very broad, and in order to get a pair that didn't squeeze it painfully tight (After a few hours, it became clear it wasn't go to adjust enough), I had to get a 43 (Started at 41). As a result, my other toes don't fit quite as tightly as they should, but they're close enough. I probably would have settled on a 42 had my big toe fit, and next pair I may try experimented with widening the toe. They're kind enough to provide a pretty good return policy, presumable aimed at allowing people to try different sizes and models.

EDIT: Striking with the midfoot is also a viable way of walking or running in these, although I happen to prefer the modified fox walk. If you're striking with the midfoot, I'd recommend altering your movement to prevent heavy strikes, seeing as these things have very little padding.

i totally second that. also mine (model: sprint) are pierce proof (kevlar or carbon fiber inlay, don't know which right now), so no need to worry about pointy things. i prefer walking on the balls, but then again i'm very light with my 58kg. did i mention how awesome soft ground feels on them? and rly try some rock climbing :)

edith says, i got them for two years now. they hardly wear down if you don't walk on streets most the time.
Last edited by ve_ on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:08 am UTC

Apparently running barefoot is considered better by many, the argument being that the impact and transfer of force generated by striking the ground with the heel does not take advantage of the shape/configuration of the human body like more natural barefoot running does (since barefoot running does not strike with the heel). I reckon that these shoes would be very similar if not identical to barefoot running. Regarding barefoot running, I noticed that the Art of Manliness recently published an article about this: http://artofmanliness.com/2012/05/17/barefoot-running-the-faqs/

hoarous

Postby hoarous » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 am UTC

One time the CIA came recruiting at my university, and the lady who did most of the talking was wearing a crisp, professional-looking suit... and that kind of shoe. When asked about it, she laughed and said she didn't expect anyone to be looking at her feet much. Makes one wonder a bit, about several things.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:17 am UTC

"After much consideration I prefer death, thank you."
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 am UTC

I wonder if they come in stilleto heels? ^_^

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:37 am UTC

Alt-text: "I *do* hear that they're the most comfortable thing to wear on your feet since sliced bread."

I've been wearing sliced bread on my feet for years.
It's been so comfortable, I'm reluctant to try anything else.
One time, on a dare, I tried toast ...

Spoiler:
... cinnamon-raisin, I believe.

InsaneTrollLogic

Postby InsaneTrollLogic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:38 am UTC

Does anyone else get the Buffy reference? How would I have loved for that scene to become reality!

InsaneTrollLogic

Postby InsaneTrollLogic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:39 am UTC

Does anyone else get the Buffy reference? How would I have loved for that scene to become reality!

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:02 am UTC

I looked them up. They're worse than Crocs.

How does the shoe immortality thing work in practice? If I only wear them at home when no one is looking, maybe for ten minutes a day, am I still immortal? What if Death comes when I'm sleeping and unable to outrun things?

So basically you have to wear these around the clock and never sleep again to actually gain immortality. Voices from heaven never mention the small print.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:19 am UTC

...I had no idea these existed. I guess I'm missing out on some interesting foot experiences.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

winampman

Postby winampman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:42 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:...I had no idea these existed. I guess I'm missing out on some interesting foot experiences.

Well, looks like you're one of today's lucky 10,000! :D (reference http://xkcd.com/1053/)

Kibate

Postby Kibate » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:46 am UTC

Oh god, people from this forum actually wear them? I saw a pair a few weeks ago in a store and i thought "God damn, these things exist? I thought only Al Bundy made these!" it was disgusting in more ways than one. But to think its actually becoming somewhat popular is just plain creepy, no matter how comfortable they are.

Timefly

Postby Timefly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Running in flip flops is good as it forces you to run on the front of your feet.

Shantalasha

Postby Shantalasha » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:06 am UTC

"I *do* hear that they're the most comfortable thing to wear on your feet since sliced bread."

Why would you wear sliced bread on your feet?

I do see a some familiar names on this forum...

Aquabat and Chainsaw Plankton did you guys play (or do you still play) EVE-Online under those names as well?

software2

Postby software2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:22 am UTC

I've been tempted to get a pair of these, but I've heard several horror stories about how they provide almost no protection against sharp things jamming into your foot - one of the key features of a regular shoe.

noregsson

Postby noregsson » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:22 am UTC

Running is evil! Humans evolved to sit hunch-backed in front of small fluorescent objects. (Hmm... Sounds like a form of worship to me.)

Anyways! Figured I'd ask the experts here. Does anyone have any good "barefoot" shoes for casual use? Some work-places have dress codes etc, and other times you just can't walk around with no socks in your shoes. Also other reasons! Do casual or slightly formal versions exist yet? Because 99% of what I've found so far are sneakers, ballet shoes, sock-thingies, sandals or toed stuff.

Maybe I should just paint my feet black.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:32 am UTC

noregsson wrote:Running is evil! Humans evolved to sit hunch-backed in front of small fluorescent objects. (Hmm... Sounds like a form of worship to me.)

Anyways! Figured I'd ask the experts here. Does anyone have any good "barefoot" shoes for casual use? Some work-places have dress codes etc, and other times you just can't walk around with no socks in your shoes. Also other reasons! Do casual or slightly formal versions exist yet? Because 99% of what I've found so far are sneakers, ballet shoes, sock-thingies, sandals or toed stuff.

There are plenty of casual barefoot style shoes out there. Merrell has an entire line of barefoot-ish shoes that look like shoes, not mutant gecko feet. Other companies do as well, but they tend to look more sneaker than anything else.

Or you can go the old school approach; start with a pair of thin soled shoes (Adidas Sambas are my favorite) and go at them with a knife, you can hack them into barefooters in about an hour. You get all the bio mechanical and comfort advantages without the appearance.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:48 am UTC

noregsson wrote:Maybe I should just paint my feet black.

Congradulations!
You've unlocked this comic's "Secret Reference":
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

tjunction

Postby tjunction » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:50 am UTC

Fivefingers *are* really comfortable. I don't run in mine (they're presently used mainly in the gym for weights etc) but walking in them normally (heel strike) is no problem. I've walked a good few miles on city streets in them in the past with no problems. (Isn't heel strike how you walk barefoot or are you telling me you always wear shoes just around the house?)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”