0294: "Bookstore"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Legrow

0294: "Bookstore"

Postby Legrow » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:02 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/294/

Alt text: You can search it if you want, but you may want to skip the memories of your mom.

Man, I wish I could do this in adult book stores...

Ketsuban

Postby Ketsuban » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:05 am UTC

Drat, beaten to it by a minute.

I want one for my room. *BEEPBEEPBEEP* "You used my computer, didn't you?!"

Droffats

Postby Droffats » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:06 am UTC

I never read a whole book at the bookstore before. I always felt guilty if I was reading for any reason other than deciding if I wanted to buy it. But they do put those nice comfortable chairs there for you.
"I'm glad you took the time to come all the way out here... but 'seal of approval' isn't an actual position." - TPD

Fex

Postby Fex » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:09 am UTC

I had to register in order to make the obvious connection between this scenario and Nethack.

Don't tell me I'm the only one who thought of shopkeepers in Nethack when they read this comic?

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:13 am UTC

Ahahaha, I do this all the time. Its made worse by my ridiculously fast reading speed.

(Reference: I finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in an hour. Granted, that's an easy read children's book, but still... )
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:23 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:(Reference: I finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in an hour. Granted, that's an easy read children's book, but still... )

752 pages (mass market paperback version) in 60 minutes is about 12.53 pages per minute. You were reading a page every 4.79 seconds? Wow.

Ketsuban

Postby Ketsuban » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:25 am UTC

I read the first three Harry Potter books in the space of an afternoon; the remainder were read over a solid day's reading.

SimonSwift

Postby SimonSwift » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:32 am UTC

So, at my local Barnes and Noble (bookstore), they used to put the manga section next to the graphic novels/comics section. Now, I know it was an honest mistake, but those are totally not the same groups of people. No offense to manga-readers here, but many of them tend to be fat, loud, and all-around very annoying. Case-in-point, when I was looking for the new issue of Civil War one time, I literally had to STEP AROUND said fat, loud, and all-around very annoying people as they were literally sitting down in the middle of the damned aisle reading books. No, it's NOT a library, it's a BOOKSTORE. You don't read books in bookstores, you BUY them, and you ESPECIALLY don't sit down in the middle of the aisle with the clear intent of sitting around reading the entirety of the book.

Nevertheless, now they've moved the graphic novels and comics over to the geek corner where they shove everything awesome like D&D books and sci-fi novels, so it's all good.

As for things actually pertaining to the comic, I can't say I could even have a chance of reading the whole book in the store. It takes a lot for me to be immersed. Usually I need music to block noises, nothing going on in my peripheral vision, nobody talking nearby, etcetera. Otherwise I get distracted and my mind wanders from the story.

~Siswi
P.S. I hate you.
P.P.S. Apologies for the verbosity.
--------------------
This delightful post brought to you by Simon Swift.
Simon Swift: The new not-Simon Swift.

Daigotsu Rezan

Postby Daigotsu Rezan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:35 am UTC

The alt-text here is just priceless. The comic itself is funny but the alt-text is such genius that I can only hope one day, I will have a comeback that witty.

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:36 am UTC

Speaking as a bookseller: my store doesn't mind too much if you hang out and read, but for the love of all that is holy, put the damn book back where it goes. I hate having to spend hours every night putting back what people are too damned lazy to replace on the shelves.

/gripe

Anyway. Good one tonight. :)
Turn your scars into stars.

mission2ridews

Postby mission2ridews » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:37 am UTC

theres something weird about harry potter books, you almost have to read them in one sitting. in fact, i dont even think i know anyone who hasnt read it in one sitting. its probably impossible

i read like the first half of the fountainhead, during a week of trips to barnes and noble. i just kept picking up where i left off. then i finally saved up the 20 bucks and bought it on friday. (with coins) no just kidding i went to coinstar

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:40 am UTC

Tom wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:(Reference: I finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in an hour. Granted, that's an easy read children's book, but still... )

752 pages (mass market paperback version) in 60 minutes is about 12.53 pages per minute. You were reading a page every 4.79 seconds? Wow.

Yep.

I think I've slowed down since then though.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

zagga20

Postby zagga20 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:42 am UTC

SimonSwift wrote:. No offense to manga-readers here, but many of them tend to be fat, loud, and all-around very annoying.
~Siswi

Really? I found it different when i was in Sydney at this book store called Kinokuniya(sp?...) the entire Manga section was facing a window, with a sign saying "do not sit" (it was a very thin aisle too) and it was filled with really skinny/pretty Asian women and some guys. Also, they did'nt make a sound....

they were also sitting on the 'do not sit' bench leeching the manga.

On Topic: I'm a very slow reader, and not really into reading in my leisure time, probably because the Eragon and Harry Potter fanboys scare me.
So my pages per minute is very slow. :(

although I have gotten into reading physics Text Books for fun 8D. but i dont think i could read one in a store.

Devilsaur

Postby Devilsaur » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:43 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tom wrote:

Yep.

Wasn't there an oldschool batman villain who had this superpower?

I better go warn gotham city before it's too late!

Wired

Postby Wired » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:55 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tom wrote:

Yep.

Speed reading FTW!
Chances are he finished it in three... maybe four hours.
Not hard, I know a person who finished the first four in a day. (Under 24 hrs.)
Two bathroom breaks, diet of bananas, and a Mountain Dew to drink.

JoshJ

Postby JoshJ » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:56 am UTC

Fex wrote:I had to register in order to make the obvious connection between this scenario and Nethack.

Don't tell me I'm the only one who thought of shopkeepers in Nethack when they read this comic?

I didn't think of it, but that's an excellent connection.

"This is not a library!"

Of course, that's what teleport or a wand of dig, death, or polymorph are for.

DJH47

Postby DJH47 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:02 am UTC

I have done this at least twice.

Once with Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics", and once with Gene Wang's "American-Born Chinese".
The above post is declared to be in the public domain unless specified otherwise.

-- Dallas

dr7

Postby dr7 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:03 am UTC

If bookstores don't want you to read entire books in their store (something I've done way too many times), they shouldn't have comfy chairs.

Therefore, I'm fine with it. And I do put books back where I got them from. Lazy customers.
dr7: king of the wicker people

floyd4one

Postby floyd4one » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:05 am UTC

Tom wrote:

that's close to the world record

how it's possible to read/understand/enjoy 70 words per second is beyond me.

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:11 am UTC

mission2ridews wrote:theres something weird about harry potter books, you almost have to read them in one sitting. in fact, i dont even think i know anyone who hasnt read it in one sitting. its probably impossible

i read like the first half of the fountainhead, during a week of trips to barnes and noble. i just kept picking up where i left off. then i finally saved up the 20 bucks and bought it on friday. (with coins) no just kidding i went to coinstar

My fiancée never reads books in one sitting. She spent several weeks on each of the first 6 Hairy Potter novels (and is waiting for the paperback version of the 7th).

dosboot

Postby dosboot » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:17 am UTC

floyd4one wrote:how it's possible to read/understand/enjoy 70 words per second is beyond me.

Words not all needed understand, smtimes nt all lettrs too.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:22 am UTC

dr7 wrote:If bookstores don't want you to read entire books in their store (something I've done way too many times), they shouldn't have comfy chairs.

Therefore, I'm fine with it. And I do put books back where I got them from. Lazy customers.

Same here. Admittedly I am one of the sorts to sit around and read manga, and I do not deny this. However, I do move out of the way when asked, try to sit in deserted corners, and otherwise try to be a decent and pleasant person about my reading.

I do buy manga occasionally, but it actually takes quite a bit for me to enjoy a book enough to own it. (By now I've given away all of my manga to anime clubs I've been in except for the first Ghost in the Shell, I believe.) I also hardly ever own books, for the same reason. I just can't reread things (with very few exceptions), so I feel no impulse to own something I've already read.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

gazzaj

Postby gazzaj » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:41 am UTC

Devilsaur wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tom wrote:

Yep.

Wasn't there an oldschool batman villain who had this superpower?

I better go warn gotham city before it's too late!

Or Johnny Five!

Disa

Postby Disa » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:18 am UTC

I can't stand the people who sit in the middle of the manga aisle reading either. Most larger bookstores these days have the large chairs and such for the purpose of keeping the aisles clear for other customers since people are bound to read books in-store anyways. It's not only frustrating to have these people blocking the aisle and preventing customers from seeing everything on a shelf, but its also rather awkward and uncomfortable. Especially when they give you dirty looks as if you are a horrible person for interrupting their reading by trying to look around them to see what is on the shelf.

What really irks me though are the people who bend the books every which way. This isn't their living room, nor is the book even legally theirs. They should at least have the courtesy to treat the books gently since someone might want to *gasp* buy the book they are handeling. I've seen some people bending paperback covers around the spine and even once saw a person dog-earing pages as a bookmark and then puting the book back on the shelf. This is on the same level of torture to watch as this comic, but worse since the books aren't even owned by anyone yet.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:41 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tom wrote:

Yep.

My guess is that you had read the book previously, and didn't really need to do more than glance at a few key bits of dialog, rather than actually reading every word (if you claim to have read every word, I call bullshit).

I read fairly fast, but I don't like to rush myself, and only speed read if I need to or am hunting for text (I am really good at grepping for phrases). That said, Harry Potter can be read absurdly fast without speed reading. I read the first four in a fairly leisurely day (I did other stuff, I got up late, and I didn't stay up late), and I just got done reading book seven in an evening + part of an afternoon.

As for reading in bookstores, I vote yes. That is of course why B&N has the attached starbucks and all those cozy chairs.

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:43 am UTC

floyd4one wrote:
Tom wrote:

I read animal farm in about 32 minutes. My teacher simply refused to believe me.

gazzaj

Postby gazzaj » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:46 am UTC

floyd4one wrote:
Tom wrote:

The eye can take in bunches of ~10 words at a time; and can recognise 30 images/sec => up to 300 words/sec is possible.

The brain is easily capable of comprehending & understanding this - it's just a matter of focus/concentration.

However, in practice these kinds of speeds aren't possible: the friction produced by 30 eye movements/sec causes the lacrimal fluid to overheat, which can lead to serious eye strain.

GusPatsy
sex, lol!

Postby GusPatsy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:18 am UTC

dosboot wrote:
floyd4one wrote:how it's possible to read/understand/enjoy 70 words per second is beyond me.

It's not possible, and the above response annoys me to no end. Dosboot, I genuinely hope you never pick up any fiction above Daniel Steele level, such a dismissive approach to prose is an insult to the people who spend hours perfecting their paragraphs. If you see speed-reading as a viable form of enjoying literature you should be condemned to the dregs of the literary world.

PS
Yes I'm a very slow reader.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:23 am UTC

Agreed. I can read Harry Potter really damn fast, but on Gravity's Rainbow I go much slower. There is a lot more to reading than knowing the words.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 am UTC

SimonSwift wrote:So, at my local Barnes and Noble (bookstore), they used to put the manga section next to the graphic novels/comics section. Now, I know it was an honest mistake, but those are totally not the same groups of people.

Except that manga are comic books. Sure they're supposedly Japanese and all the same exact size and shape, but they do in fact feature comics in book format. I just get mad when I can't figure out the way stores are organized. It is possible to be a reader of both.
Plus, you can always trip over, accidentally kick, drop stuff on the people sitting on the floor.

I don't read fast enough to finish a book while standing in the store. I feel kind of bad sitting down and reading, although Barnes and Noble has chairs and stuff.

You could get kind of philosophical with this; Do bookstores sell the content of the books, or just the physical books themselves?

oliphaunt

Postby oliphaunt » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:42 am UTC

I wonder if you are able to appreciate all puns, clever names and witticisms in Harry Potter if you read that fast....
ylno thgir ot tfel morf txet siht daer esaelp

Atario

Postby Atario » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:50 am UTC

dr7 wrote:If bookstores don't want you to read entire books in their store (something I've done way too many times), they shouldn't have comfy chairs.

Spoiled whippersnappers. Back in my day, back when "bookstore" meant B. Dalton's or Waldenbooks, and nothing but books on shelves and a cash register counter, we had to sit on the edge of the shelf base or stand for hours. "Comfy chairs". Hah.

[I read each "Life In Hell" compilation multiple times before buying.]

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:54 am UTC

This comic is made of win.

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am UTC

SimonSwift wrote:So, at my local Barnes and Noble (bookstore), they used to put the manga section next to the graphic novels/comics section. Now, I know it was an honest mistake, but those are totally not the same groups of people.

My local book store has a big manga section, with a huge sign above it saying "comics". I live in Tokyo, so they probably know what they're talking about.

(To be precise, the sign says コミックス "komikkusu")

And I've never read a book in a bookstore. That's what libraries are for. :)

wanderer

Postby wanderer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:30 am UTC

When I was in college, my class schedule often led to large gaps in my day with no Magic players around and my food all eaten.

So I would go to the campus book store and read. I read at least one, perhaps more, trilogies this way.

Light fantasy, to be sure (one of the Dark Sun series, among others), but I admit to doing so. These days, I may flip through a comic book or graphic novel, but that is about it.

As for replacing books on shelves where they go, I am anal about this, as I have worked in retail, and do not wish reshelving on anyone.

This is why I personally believe that EVERYONE should be made to work in customer service (either retail or food service or both) between the ages of 16-18; so they can learn to be good customers.

H.H

Postby H.H » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:31 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tom wrote:

Yep.

Not trying to be offensive or anything, this just amazes me beyond words.

Did you intentionally develop this skill of yours, or is it inherent?

Also, at a rate of less than 10 sec/pg, how much information do you retain,
especially scenery descriptions and the like (details I subconsciously skim over when reading too fast)?

McHell

Postby McHell » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Japanese newspaper sellers though, are complaining that people read the interesting sections of magazines and then don't buy them, which is bankrupting many of them.

Specifically, they complain that `customers' use their mobiles to photograph articles, and then read those at leasure, in the tube for example.

Or so I read. Any light on this?

Splarka

Postby Splarka » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:38 am UTC

No Fahrenheit 451 references yet? -10 points for the thread
HTTP/1.1 - 203

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:39 am UTC

dosboot wrote:

And sometimes not all sentences. Some sentences are just cruft. Because fiction depends on some (not excessive) redundancy (ie, superfluous sentences), or it just reads like a newspaper report.

Or to summarize: "sntnces, too"

---

My local bookstore has comfy chairs and nobody minds if I read an entire book through to the end. This cozy atmosphere has paid off for them - over the last few years, I think I've spent almost 200€ there. Even on books I've read already - I want to have it on my shelf so I can read it again later.

Specifically, they complain that `customers' use their mobiles to photograph articles, and then read those at leasure, in the tube for example.

Cue the jokes about Japanese efficiency. :P

I would mind more about the newspaper than the book, if I were the seller. People will buy the book if they like it, even after reading it. Who the hell wants a newspaper they've already read? Toilet paper?

I was done with HP a few hours before it came out. Beat that. :twisted:
Last edited by Arancaytar on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:44 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Banksy

Postby Banksy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:42 am UTC

Ha I have done this on many occasions, as has been mentioned: The chairs are just so irresistable!
I tend to be a pretty speedy reader, but usually when reading simpler books. When I read things like Iain Banks they tend to take me a while longer.
I saw an excellent quote somewhere above: 'There is more to reading than understanding the words.
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”