1066: "Laundry"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1066: "Laundry"

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:04 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1066/
Alt Text: "During the second semester, the path is briefly routed through the dishwasher."
It's so easy to break those kind of habits. You want to be responsible and clean, but when it comes to clothes, it just gets too hard after a while.

rhomboidal

Re: 1066: "Laundry"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:08 am UTC

I have repressed memories about my clothing in college. Every day was like laundry-day leftovers.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:42 am UTC

This relates to a corresponding graph: "Likelihood of girlfriend."
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Chart looks about right.

nykevin

Postby nykevin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 am UTC

In my experience, it's Washer/Drier -> Hamper -> Body -> Floor -> Hamper -> Washer/Drier.

The hamper is a convenient container for transporting clothing, regardless of whether it's clean or dirty.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 am UTC

Mine is more like this:

On Body >> Bathroom >> Washing Machine >> Clothesline/Dryer(if raining) >> Couch >> GOTO On Body
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am UTC

Makes me think of how my mum stopped doing my ironing and got me to do my own ironing. For a while I ironed all my shirts before returning them to my wardrobe.

This year I think I've ironed stuff maybe twice?

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Mine is more like this:

On Body >> Bathroom >> Washing Machine >> Clothesline/Dryer(if raining) >> Couch >> GOTO On Body

GOTO? Turn that into a while loop, or be devoured by raptors.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:08 am UTC

During exam week, the floor gets cut out of the loop as well.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:10 am UTC

I'm many years out of the education system, but living solo, and I'd say I'm permanently between weeks 2 and 3 on that list. Who has a designated folding area? But sometimes the dresser/wardrobe does get cut out of the loop as well, especially for stuff like underwear where if I delayed doing the laundry for long enough I'll need to grab a new pair straight off the drying cycle...
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:37 am UTC

nykevin wrote:In my experience, it's Washer/Drier -> Hamper -> Body -> Floor -> Hamper -> Washer/Drier.

The hamper is a convenient container for transporting clothing, regardless of whether it's clean or dirty.

Mine is similar, but I don't use the floor and I actually have a closet and dresser.

Closet/dresser -> body -> hamper -> washer/dryer -> hamper - closet/dresser.

If we don't count the hamper's use as a transport vehicle and only its use as a storage space, it becomes part 1 of the comic's cycle sans "folding area", and...

Arky wrote:Who has a designated folding area?

...exactly. Wash them / dry them / bring them back to your room, then fold and/or hang immediately. Do people have like a special staging area where recently-cleaned clothes waiting to be folded live for a while?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:44 am UTC

I skip containers altogether really. My clothes stay folded in a pile on some flat surface when clean, or are thrown in a hamper/on the floor where hamper should be when dirty. Whenever I need to get clothes, I dismantly the clean pile until I've dug out the appropriate articles.

selene

Postby selene » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:45 am UTC

This didn't happen until I got OUT of college. Dorm rooms don't have the floor space.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:46 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:This relates to a corresponding graph: "Likelihood of girlfriend."

There's another co-graph as well: "BO level." Slopes sharply upward toward the end of the semester.
In all fairness...

Justine Kerenskij

Postby Justine Kerenskij » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:13 am UTC

Situations like that made me appreciate the world of free resources like Find A Grave: you know, my inability to deal with post-mortem clothes, maggots and rigor mortis represent a huge boost of confidence towards your business dream, keeping life out of textile fibers

ygp

Postby ygp » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:45 am UTC

Luckily, being at a UK university, my terms (trimesters) are only about two months long anyway.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:56 am UTC

With me it goes body>hamper>washer>closet>body. I'm not a veyr clean person but I've never gotten people who leave their clothes on the floor. It's not that much more difficult to stuff em all in a closet and it looks a lot better (as long as you don't open the closet).

roderik

Postby roderik » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 am UTC

*Reads alt text*
a dishwasher? a DISHWASHER! damn... such luxury, that would have prevented us from having to do week-long dishes of doom.

SciFi

Postby SciFi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:08 am UTC

ygp wrote:Luckily, being at a UK university, my terms (trimesters) are only about two months long anyway.

Don't rely on it to prevent the last stage. The one I went to switched to Semesters after my first year. It caused chaos with the courses as well as the student habitual patterns.

I wonder how my sister's habit of coming home from Uni once every 2-4 weeks would affect the flow.

Anyone with a Teenager, or my brother, will know this one within a week of any room tidying:
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/592/xkcdmodifiedlaundry.png

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:45 am UTC

ygp wrote:Luckily, being at a UK university, my terms (trimesters) are only about two months long anyway.

Legend has it that, when plans were being drawn up to add baths to undergraduate accommodation at Trinity College, Cambridge, a Don was heard to remark: "Baths? What do they need baths for? They're only here for 8 weeks!"

roderik wrote:*Reads alt text*
a dishwasher? a DISHWASHER! damn... such luxury, that would have prevented us from having to do week-long dishes of doom.

One of my friends had a friend who got around the problem of washing pans by starting a stew at the beginning of term and throwing in more ingredients any time it started to run low. Apparently they were a very popular dinner host for the first week or two of term, and then interest tailed off for some reason...

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 am UTC

second month already? I'm not even in college yet!
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:58 am UTC

Comic made me nod, title text made me guffaw.

Pfhorrest wrote:Do people have like a special staging area where recently-cleaned clothes waiting to be folded live for a while?

Actually, we do (the bed). "A while" is thus necessarily less than a day, though.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:01 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Plasma Mongoose wrote:Mine is more like this:

GOTO? Turn that into a while loop, or be devoured by raptors.

Sorry but I haven't used BASIC since I last played on a Commadore 64 back in the 80s, I have forgotten almost everything about BASIC since then.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

marcel

Postby marcel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:25 pm UTC

I just want to say that I have been out of the education system for manby years as well, but I line dry, which makes skipping the closet step just too easy, that drying rack is just made for storing clothes.

Trasvi

Postby Trasvi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:During exam week, the floor gets cut out of the loop as well.

I'm in this phase of the cycle atm.

In week 3 I tend to lose the hamper instead of the closet though. Who needs a hamper when theres a perfectly good floor.

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:38 pm UTC

Don't forget about the "Frosh Week Party" graph:

Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

ctsketch

Postby ctsketch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

Hell i'm not even in college anymore and my cycle is

On Body > Floor > Washer & Dryer > Couch > On Body

Yes...the bachelor cycle...

darthmark

Postby darthmark » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:53 pm UTC

I have more than two grades of laundry, okay? There's not just clean and dirty. There are many subtle levels.

Quote related.

ASW

Postby ASW » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:28 pm UTC

I remember in college I could tell you what year in college a person was by how they dressed. Freshmen had all the new clothes and were looking their best, Seniors didn't care and were still wearing the clothes from 4 years ago or intramural shirts...<P>My Freshmen orientation was so hot I said "screw it" and put on some Gym shorts and a tank top. A soon to be lifelong friend looked commented on my clothes and said..."That is a good idea". From then on every time I came back for 1st semester people asked me "Didn't you graduate last year?" Largely due to my dress I believe.

ctsketch

Postby ctsketch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

ASW wrote:I remember in college I could tell you what year in college a person was by how they dressed. Freshmen had all the new clothes and were looking their best, Seniors didn't care and were still wearing the clothes from 4 years ago or intramural shirts...<P>My Freshmen orientation was so hot I said "screw it" and put on some Gym shorts and a tank top. A soon to be lifelong friend looked commented on my clothes and said..."That is a good idea". From then on every time I came back for 1st semester people asked me "Didn't you graduate last year?" Largely due to my dress I believe.

I was the opposite. Freshman year I went to class in gym clothes and PJs...Senior year I actually dressed nicer. LOL

Unclevertitle

Postby Unclevertitle » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

I've been in the Third Week for years. Since before college and after. The dresser is for clothes you don't wear often.

What the heck even is a "folding area" anyway?

Either use your bed back in your dorm, fold against the pull of gravity, or just accept the wrinkles as they are.

davidhbrown

Postby davidhbrown » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

nykevin wrote:[...]The hamper is a convenient container for transporting clothing[...]

Interesting how the use of the term hamper has diverged. For me, a hamper is rather large and not at all convenient for transport. It stays put, holding dirty laundry until it's time to wash it and a laundry basket (or mesh bag) is used to cart the clothes around.

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Alt Text: "During the second semester, the path is briefly routed through the dishwasher."

Title Text: "During the second semester, the path is briefly routed through the dishwasher."

sarysa

Postby sarysa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

I've been second month for about a decade now. :)

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

As a single person with the luxury of my own washer and dryer, my cycle goes more like:

Dryer -- Body -- Washer -- Dryer

Yay for mostly wrinkle-free clothing.

NiteClerk

Postby NiteClerk » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

ctsketch wrote:Hell i'm not even in college anymore and my cycle is
On Body > Floor > Washer & Dryer > Couch > On Body
Yes...the bachelor cycle...

Married life is nice. On Body > In or within 3 feet of the hamper > Hanging up on my valet washed and ironed.

I really don't understand why people make such a big deal about laundry. It's quite simple if you have a wife. :mrgreen:

Shakes

Postby Shakes » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Huh... I guess I'm the only one, but I found today's comic to be really predictable and dull, so much so that I felt the need to make a comment, which I rarely do. I knew the punchline as soon as I saw the first panel, probably because I've seen/heard this joke in many other forms before, such as the Ghostbusters 2 reference in the comments... a movie that came out 23 years ago. :|

I don't know know. This one just seemed like filler more than anything. Anyone else?

Though I did learn something from the comments. I had no idea that "hamper" had different meanings outside the U.S.

poslundc

Postby poslundc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:09 pm UTC

I think the Folding Area isn't meant to be an actual fixed space dedicated to folding; it's more of an indicator as to whether the laundry gets Folded or Piled.

Dan.

Cervisiae Amatorem

Postby Cervisiae Amatorem » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

I never understood people who have trouble with laundry.

Buy a hamper that is the same size as your washer/dryer, when it fills up, go wash. Let it run while you surf reddit, go dry. Surf reddit, grab everything. Dump socks and underwear into "clean" drawer; hint: buy only one kind of sock so you never have to waste time matching them up. Tshirts, jeans and shorts get a quick quarter fold and stacked. You can fold everything in less time than it takes to boil the water for your Top Ramen. Drop your suit and dress shirt off at the dry cleaners every three wearings on your way to get beer. Done.

If you are buying clothes that you need to separate by color or require special washing care, you should rethink your priorities. If you aren't going to commit to care for the garments and just let them sit soiled and heaped on the floor, don't get them in the first place.

The only time I ever had clothes on my floor was when it was a mix of boy clothes and girl clothes because I'd hooked up.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

I have more than two grades of laundry, okay? There's not just clean and dirty. There are many subtle levels.

1) Newly bought
2) Washed
3) Outer garment (e.g. hoodie) worn for up to a day in non-sweaty conditions
4) Outer garment worn for up to a week OR t-shirt worn for up to half a day
5) t-shirt worn for a day & a night or outer garment worn during moderate sweating or for many days
6) undergarment worn for a day & a night OR t-shirt worn for many days
7) Worn during heavy sweating
8 ) Worn during heavy sweating and heavily soiled

I like to keep a 2/3 pile for company, a 4/5 pile for being alone, and a 6/7 pile for exercise.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

vortighast

Postby vortighast » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

Istaro wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Do people have like a special staging area where recently-cleaned clothes waiting to be folded live for a while?

Actually, we do (the bed). "A while" is thus necessarily less than a day, though.

I actually move the stack of laid out shirts and pants from my bed to my chair at night, then back to the bed the next day. My clothes will usually stay in the folding area a good two or three days.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”