1074: "Moon Landing"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hafting
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 am UTC

Re: 1074: "Moon Landing"

Postby Hafting » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 am UTC

am3930 wrote:I always wondered if anyone ever analyzed this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

Hard to fake acceleration due to gravity.


Not really. Play any movie a bit slower, and it looks like weaker gravity.

Another argument against fakery: Why would they bother? Seriously. Governments do cover up stuff, typically money that somehow disappeared, or that they in fact fired the first shots to start some war. But when did they ever fake a great achievement - in a country with a free press? The risk of discovery is too high, it would ruin too much credibility. As others have pointed out - the Soviets would have loved to expose a fake moon program. They were leading, doing everything in space first, until the moon.

If you want to hide a money sink, you don't fake a spectacular space program. You hide it as something excessively boring that not even the opposition would bother to sift through.

Also, a fake moon landing might be a bit cheaper, but still have a cost comparable to a real one. Ordinary telescopes can't resolve a rocket going to the moon, but they can see that something shiny goes there. So something had to go there, orbit the moon, and come back. That is as difficult as the real thing, fakery could merely save some weight.

blowfishhootie
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Re: 1074: "Moon Landing"

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 pm UTC

Hafting wrote:
am3930 wrote:I always wondered if anyone ever analyzed this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

Hard to fake acceleration due to gravity.


Not really. Play any movie a bit slower, and it looks like weaker gravity.


What? Are you suggesting that in 1969, NASA may have slowed down a video of a feather falling on a fake moon, then spliced it together with a hammer falling on a fake moon in real time, so as to make them look like they were falling at the same speed? With no noticeable evidence of splicing the film?

I'm thinking you didn't click the link before responding to a comment about the link.

EDIT: Er, slowed down the video of the hammer, not the feather. Got it backwards. Either way, it's a ridiculous insinuation.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Re: 1074: "Moon Landing"

Postby J Thomas » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
Hafting wrote:
am3930 wrote:I always wondered if anyone ever analyzed this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

Hard to fake acceleration due to gravity.


Not really. Play any movie a bit slower, and it looks like weaker gravity.


What? Are you suggesting that in 1969, NASA may have slowed down a video of a feather falling on a fake moon, then spliced it together with a hammer falling on a fake moon in real time, so as to make them look like they were falling at the same speed? With no noticeable evidence of splicing the film?

I'm thinking you didn't click the link before responding to a comment about the link.


They could have used a fake feather and a fake hammer that fall at the same speed.

Well, they could have.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1074: "Moon Landing"

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

J Thomas wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Hafting wrote:
am3930 wrote:I always wondered if anyone ever analyzed this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

Hard to fake acceleration due to gravity.


Not really. Play any movie a bit slower, and it looks like weaker gravity.


What? Are you suggesting that in 1969, NASA may have slowed down a video of a feather falling on a fake moon, then spliced it together with a hammer falling on a fake moon in real time, so as to make them look like they were falling at the same speed? With no noticeable evidence of splicing the film?

I'm thinking you didn't click the link before responding to a comment about the link.


They could have used a fake feather and a fake hammer that fall at the same speed.

Well, they could have.


not so much speed of falling as it is way a feather falls on the moon that's harder to fake. that would mean building a massive vacuum chamber,

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1074: "Moon Landing"

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Yeah, as often pointed out, to fake the Moon landings would have required a massive vacuum chamber and an artificially blacked-out sky and artificially lowered gravity (because the dudes walking don't look like they're just slowed down).

In other words, if they faked it they did it the hard way.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chridd, da Doctah and 39 guests