1075: "Warning"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

glasnt

1075: "Warning"

Postby glasnt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:03 am UTC

Alt: Also possibly several miles beyond that.

You are aware you are breathing, next quite-a-long-time, one would hope.

Hello joannac_

rhomboidal

Re: 1075: "Warning"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:05 am UTC

In 5 miles is a McDonald's/KFC/IHOP/Pizza Hut where you eat several times more than evolution could possibly have prepared you to eat.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:07 am UTC

I occasionally get this feeling when I'm driving. "Wow, here I am with 3500 lbs. of potential catastrophe." To get an idea of how much we take these things for granted, imagine someone texting with a .357 in his hand. Yeah. Less dangerous.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:15 am UTC

Um, is the comic not loading for anyone else? Edit works now. Transient error I guess.
Last edited by EvanED on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Drooling Iguana

Postby Drooling Iguana » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:40 am UTC

We must take away their metal boxes!

meekrab

Postby meekrab » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:49 am UTC

Drooling Iguana wrote:We must take away their metal boxes!

For the children!

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:50 am UTC

This is partly the reason I've only driven twice since getting my license a year ago.

The implicit trust in all the other people in those metal boxes that's required is a big part of the rest of the reason.

EvanED wrote:Um, is the comic not loading for anyone else?

Works fine for me.

mixh

Postby mixh » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:52 am UTC

I think evolution probably did get us used to the concept of large things with claws and teeth converging at speeds possibly greater than 40mph and got us dealing with throwing things at similarly rapidly moving animals. So unless one is trying to break the land speed record - false. Also, one might be on a motorbike, so also false. Or even flying dangerously close to the highway in a microlight, so again false. Also one is probably in a sedentary position, which evolution didn't really cater for either. Also one might be blind drunk and just waking up to sleeping under a sign by the side of the road, so also false.

s/that/than/

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:07 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:I occasionally get this feeling when I'm driving. "Wow, here I am with 3500 lbs. of potential catastrophe." To get an idea of how much we take these things for granted, imagine someone texting with a .357 in his hand. Yeah. Less dangerous.

.357? Is that a police pistol?
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:25 am UTC

Alt: Also possibly several miles beyond that.

I think its more like a handful, don't you?

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:30 am UTC

I've only been driving a little over a year, and YES.

It's really hard to grow numb to - here you are, in control/charge of a heavy machine going speeds far greater than you can. One wrong move, misjudgment, or just spacing out, and you could kill yourself or someone else.

And it happens all the time.

But here we are, going along in our 60mph death traps.

What's better is we also operate said death traps when we're not 100% aware, whether that's buzzed, sleepy, feverish, or feeling upset.

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:33 am UTC

This was my dad's approach to drivers ed: "Me letting you drive is like me handing you a gun". It's certainly true, but not much for establishing confidence.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 am UTC

Drooling Iguana wrote:We must take away their metal boxes!

Naw, at least not entirely. We just need to take away control of the metal boxes and give it to computers who are much less likely to cut you off and flip you off.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

jeszjesz

Postby jeszjesz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53 am UTC

... a box powered by exploding fossils and rolling along on vulcanized tree sap. Enjoy.
"My heart is nothing more than an engine forged from the remnants of a dead star" - Kimiko Ross (Dresden Codak - Anagoge Starring Tiny Carl Jung)

pietzcker

Postby pietzcker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 am UTC

OK, so according to http://xkcd.com/1070/, evolution has prepared us for speeds of about 15 mph (US) or 25 mph (Germany). Good to know.

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 am UTC

I'm perched above a 6e24 kg ball of rock and iron hurtling at 30 km/s around a giant thermonuclear reactor. Which passes through a minefield of 300 billion other reactors while circling a gigantic black hole at 220km/s. No steering wheel or brakes. If for some reason I stop moving for even 1 millisecond, I would be surrounded by hard vacuum and boil in my skin, or be deeply embedded in molten rock. If one of those other reactors explodes nearby, or two neutron stars collide as distant as 1e17 km away, I get fried with gamma rays.

Evolution prepared me for that. Makes a 1.5e3 kg vehicle moving at 0.030 km/s seem rather tame.

Edit: make that a 5e3 kg vehicle. I forgot the 10cm thick lead supernova roof option.
Last edited by keithl on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kibate

Postby Kibate » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:16 am UTC

I love todays strip

Because i always used to have a high respect for automobiles(but not the drivers though), even though i'm a pedestrian.(thus i never jaywalk) For some reason i always felt like that whenever i may die, wether it is tomorrow or in 80 years, it will be because of a car.

bhoot

Postby bhoot » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:18 am UTC

keithl wrote:I'm perched above a 6e24 kg ball of rock and iron hurtling at 30 km/s around a giant thermonuclear reactor. Which passes through a minefield of 300 billion other reactors while circling a gigantic black hole at 220km/s. No steering wheel or brakes. If for some reason I stop moving for even 1 millisecond, I would be surrounded by hard vacuum and boil in my skin, or be deeply embedded in molten rock. If one of those other reactors explodes nearby, or two neutron stars collide as distant as 1e17 km away, I get fried with gamma rays.

Evolution prepared me for that. Makes a 1.5e3 kg vehicle moving at 0.030 km/s seem rather tame.

One of the best posts I've read in a while. Hats off to you.
Last edited by bhoot on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Milnoc

Postby Milnoc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:21 am UTC

But we are the box.

We've created the box.

We've created the tools and machines that allow us to surpass our natural limitations and build that box.

And it's all because we evolved into a higher level of intelligence and dexterity that allowed us to visualize the possibilities, and act upon them in a controlled and structured manner. Throw in a social infrastructure, and we can pool our resources together to create the separate components of that box, make it even better than what a single person could have accomplished on their own, and still make it easy enough for a single person to operate it within a reasonable amount of comfort, safety and ease.

I'm proud to be the box.

The box... is me.
Last edited by Milnoc on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ARandomDude

Postby ARandomDude » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:25 am UTC

Angeleon

Postby Angeleon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:57 am UTC

What makes it worse is that this one ton heavy box of metal, plastic and rubber is being propelled forward by explosions. I'm going to say that again. Explosions! How can one not thing of that and think that we are all crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I have as much faith in cars as the next guy but you have to admit, the concept sounds crazy.

biguana

Postby biguana » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:18 am UTC

Funny comic, but it makes me think of a point I've heard a few times recently - when we think of or discuss "dangerous" things we often forget to distinguish between the cause of the danger and the potential "recipient".

In this case, the driver (who the sign is presumably aimed at) may not have had a chance to evolve appropriately, but that's mitigated by the fact they've put themselves in a big metal box with airbags, etc.

People often warn that cycling can be dangerous, but actually cycling in the absence of motor vehicles is incredibly safe (unless you're pulling wheelies on a cliff or something). So cars are dangerous, but often they're most dangerous to the people who don't even get the advantage of being in them. Cars and drivers are the cause of the danger. So is cycling dangerous, or is driving dangerous?

The people who really need the sign are the likely recipients of the danger; the pedestrians and cyclists who haven't evolved to deal with the speeding boxes and who might not even see them coming as they go about their business.

Orlando
Loves all those arguments with the sexy sexy holes.

Postby Orlando » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:25 am UTC

Milnoc wrote:The box... is me.

**gasp** You killed my dog and broke my nana's hip!??

kasirate

Postby kasirate » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:27 am UTC

As a motorcycle rider I get this feeling all the time. I have to pay so much attention to the road, and I feel like the people in boxes all around me aren't even conscious of where they are at the moment. cagers...

Al-pocalypse

Postby Al-pocalypse » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 am UTC

As someone pointed out to me recenty:

"Imagine if cars were only invented today and someone had to get them passed Health & Safety regulations:

We are proposing placing up to 7 people in a metal box, which contains 20 gallons of explosively flammable liquid. This vehical is propelled forwards at speeds of up to 150mph by use of an 'engine' which is powered by using this flammable liquid to create 12 000 explosions per minute.

Oh, and the exhaust gasses from these explosions are toxic and environmentally unsound."
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:02 am UTC

It's ok guys, I've played Chase HQ.

I'm ready for the speeds.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

MonkeyBoy

Postby MonkeyBoy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:10 am UTC

Al-pocalypse wrote:Imagine if cars were only invented today and someone had to get them passed Health & Safety regulations:

I tried, but I can't wrap my head around any meaningful concept of "today" that doesn't include cars as a long-accepted part of the picture. A world that has iPads and Starbucks and reality TV and genome sequencing, but still relies on horses and buggies for transport, just won't fit into my brain.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:13 am UTC

The principle of Natural Selection says that those of us who fail to adapt to the demands of this new environment will be weeded out from the gene pool. In a few centuries, nearly everyone whose ancestors had access to motor vehicles will have the reflexes necessary to deal with such speed.

Mishka_shaw

Postby Mishka_shaw » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:18 am UTC

We need some of that black sludge from prometheus to help speed up ol' evolution.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:19 am UTC

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Al-pocalypse wrote:Imagine if cars were only invented today and someone had to get them passed Health & Safety regulations:

I tried, but I can't wrap my head around any meaningful concept of "today" that doesn't include cars as a long-accepted part of the picture. A world that has iPads and Starbucks and reality TV and genome sequencing, but still relies on horses and buggies for transport, just won't fit into my brain.

We are proposing placing hundreds of people into chains of metal boxes, propelled forwards at speeds of up to 150mph by use of an 'engine' which is powered by hundreds of gallons of explosively flammable liquid. But it's ok, because the government will be in charge of it and therefore it will be perfectly safe. It's not like we're entrusting such dangerous technology to ordinary people.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

matrix3509

Postby matrix3509 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:39 am UTC

Effing responsibility, how does it work?

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:16 am UTC

Oh, so it's like the tongue awareness thing. I was a bit confused until I read the OP.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:26 am UTC

Clearly the problem is that the box is metal. I propose we correct this state of affairs by switching to origami autos.

danivon

Postby danivon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am UTC

ijuin wrote:The principle of Natural Selection says that those of us who fail to adapt to the demands of this new environment will be weeded out from the gene pool. In a few centuries, nearly everyone whose ancestors had access to motor vehicles will have the reflexes necessary to deal with such speed.
Evolution fail.

A few 'centuries'? Millenia is more like it, and that's still a vast underestimate.

Evolution is not deterministic like that either. If driving is more likely to result in death (particularly among the young before they procreate) then non-drivers will be favoured as much as 'adapted' drivers. Parsominy suggests that if there's a genetic trait that leads to not driving, it will be as likely to succeed as any posited one that makes one able to properly handle the forces involved. And what adaptaions are you thinking of? An exo-skeleton?

Not to mention that the entire species being 'weeded out' is a possibility in the same time it would take for it to completely adapt to our current motor transport.

But by then we'll all have jetpacks and hoverboards, becaue it'll be, like, The Future
:oops:

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 am UTC

danivon wrote:But by then we'll all have jetpacks and hoverboards, becaue it'll be, like, The Future

We've got a lot of catching up to do on that front. Deadline's only three years away, and we're at least a decade behind schedule now...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:52 am UTC

keithl wrote:I'm perched above a 6e24 kg ball of rock and iron hurtling at 30 km/s around a giant thermonuclear reactor. Which passes through a minefield of 300 billion other reactors while circling a gigantic black hole at 220km/s. No steering wheel or brakes. If for some reason I stop moving for even 1 millisecond, I would be surrounded by hard vacuum and boil in my skin, or be deeply embedded in molten rock. If one of those other reactors explodes nearby, or two neutron stars collide as distant as 1e17 km away, I get fried with gamma rays.

Evolution prepared me for that. Makes a 1.5e3 kg vehicle moving at 0.030 km/s seem rather tame. ....

Evolution prepared you for nearby novas by persuading you to live in a cave with at least 6 months of stored food.

How ya doin with that?
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:11 am UTC

jeszjesz wrote:... a box powered by exploding fossils and rolling along on vulcanized tree sap. Enjoy.

I love to look people in the eye and calmly say to them in a straight face: "When driving, try not to think about the fact that your car is moving because of a series of controlled explosions happening just a few feet away from where you sit." Sadly, it typically results in nothing more than blank stares. One time somebody mostly got it and wanted to know why I was making it sound scary. I answered because it also makes it so much more awesome as well.

VDZ

Postby VDZ » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:12 am UTC

Edit: make that a 5e3 kg vehicle. I forgot the 10cm thick lead supernova roof option.

keithl wrote:If for some reason I stop moving for even 1 millisecond, I would be surrounded by hard vacuum and boil in my skin, or be deeply embedded in molten rock.

If you stop moving for even 1 millisecond, the rest of the universe will raise its collective middle finger towards you and drag you along with the earth. You weren't 'prepared for that'. All the hard work is done by other systems that will automatically rectify any such mistakes you would make. Contrast a car, which will just shrug and send you to a premature death if you push the steering wheel in the wrong direction or accelerate at the wrong moment.

Pfhorrest wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:

We are proposing placing hundreds of people into chains of metal boxes, propelled forwards at speeds of up to 150mph by use of an 'engine' which is powered by hundreds of gallons of explosively flammable liquid. But it's ok, because the government will be in charge of it and therefore it will be perfectly safe. It's not like we're entrusting such dangerous technology to ordinary people.

Actually, it's okay because strict laws are in place to only allow people who have trained for years to pilot such a chain of metal boxes, and countless safety systems that will guarantee the safety of the passengers even if a significant number of parts fail in their tasks. Contrast the car, which does have some safety measures (although not always - Ford Pinto was perfectly allowed) and can be controlled by drunkards (with barely any penalty unless an accident happens) who managed to pass a single test.

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:14 am UTC

Retsam wrote:This was my dad's approach to drivers ed: "Me letting you drive is like me handing you a gun". It's certainly true, but not much for establishing confidence.

I was told almost the exact same thing about puberty.

radtea

Postby radtea » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:34 am UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
Retsam wrote:This was my dad's approach to drivers ed: "Me letting you drive is like me handing you a gun". It's certainly true, but not much for establishing confidence.

I was told almost the exact same thing about puberty.

Accidents with guns cause death. Accidents with puberty cause life.
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”