Page 1 of 3

1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:06 am UTC
by rhomboidal
Image

Title Text: Ooh, another one. Uh ... the ability to alter any coefficients of friction at will during sporting events.

Eyelash wishes are probably the least grody of all the various body-hair wishing phenomena.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:10 am UTC
by TiLt
I wonder what the full log looks like.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:15 am UTC
by Shay Guy
Little Harmonic Labyrinth rules would rule out the bulk of these as meta-wishes, meta-meta-wishes, typeless wishes, or attempts to change the axioms and/or rules of inference of the system. That includes the first, of course, with all that entails for the regular ones.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:26 am UTC
by EdgarJPublius
The wish for Feb. 27th already exists
http://www.longurlplease.com/

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 am UTC
by Trickster
Well, it may be the case that the website was registered in 2008-10-12, but that doesn't mean the wish didn't retroactively go back in time to set it up. As long as black hat didn't know so it wouldn't cause a paradox.

Anyway, I'm a math geek and still puzzling over "zero wishes".

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:07 am UTC
by brakos82
Unlimited breadsticks!!!!

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:17 am UTC
by Sir_Read-a-Lot
Does it count as a meta wish to define the parameters of your next wish?

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:21 am UTC
by Quicksilver
What would BHG do with a pony?

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:35 am UTC
by Goggalor
I believe the pony was just a generic test wish to see if the previous wish worked.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:36 am UTC
by xmrsmoothx
Oh, god, this one is fucking gold.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 am UTC
by Oflick
I'll be honest: for a while now I haven't been too thrilled with XKCD. The comics aren't bad, but nothing special. But Monday's one was hilarious, and so is this one. My excitement over the strips is coming back.

Is it accurate to call a webcomic a strip?

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:16 am UTC
by Eutychus
Shouldn't March 29 read "Free, safe transportation to and from that universe"?

Might want to put something about "instantaneous" in there too, at least until April 15.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:18 am UTC
by Oflick
6 February probably covers that.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:39 am UTC
by Trasvi
I love Feb 05: Unlimited Eyelashes.
It reminds me of the conundrum presented by a Genie: you get 3 wishes and are not allowed to ask for more wishes. Can you ask for more Genies?

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:19 am UTC
by wlievens
Is Mar 15 a reference to a well known internet site, or am I overthinking it?

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:20 am UTC
by Tobu
Trickster wrote:Anyway, I'm a math geek and still puzzling over "zero wishes".


Probably an attempt to make the universe divide by zero. Just in case there's an exploitable bug.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:31 am UTC
by Oflick
I'd have thought the zero wishes would be to try out the "veto any wish" power.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:37 am UTC
by Linux0s
Immortality didn't make the list?

Ahh I guess veto power over clocks would do it.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 am UTC
by flicky1991
I'd never heard of wishing on eyelashes before...

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:52 am UTC
by samglover25
This one is great.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:23 am UTC
by Alsadius
wlievens wrote:Is Mar 15 a reference to a well known internet site, or am I overthinking it?


I assumed it was a reference to a well-known Escher painting.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am UTC
by VanI
I nearly exploded a nostril when I read introducing arbitrary error in Nate Silver's predictions.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:32 am UTC
by Daimon
15 Jan to 6 Feb sounds like the things I thought of when I heard about "You can't wish for unlimited wished."

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 am UTC
by niky
Wishing for zero wishes is a meta-wish causing a paradox wherein the wish itself doesn't exist.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 am UTC
by Lukeonia1
flicky1991 wrote:I'd never heard of wishing on eyelashes before...


It's rare that I've had to turn to Google because I didn't get the comic AND it wasn't already explained in the forum thread, so here goes.

Seems if you find a loose eyelash, you place it [on the tip of your finger/on the back of your hand/on the tip of your nose], make a wish, and blow it off. It doesn't work if you remove the eyelash from your eye (or anyone else's). If the person who produced the eyelash can be identified, they make the wish; otherwise, the finder makes the wish.

"Eyelash Wishes" is also the title of a song by the All-American Rejects, which I've never heard.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 am UTC
by Dr. Diaphanous
The open-source wish project to devise loophole-free wishes.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:17 am UTC
by Kit.
Linux0s wrote:Immortality didn't make the list?

"Naturally, they give that away for nothing."

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 pm UTC
by pkcommando
Out of all of them, why do I think the last one is the one BHG really wants the most?

Actually, I'd like that one, too.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:08 pm UTC
by sorceror
So long as you get the standard '3 wishes' bit, it's pretty simple.

1. Wish that the wish-granting entity be compelled to grant one's subsequent meta-wishes. (Not a meta-wish itself, but rather a wish about the wish-granting entity.)
2. Wish that the wish-granting entity be compelled to grant this wish, the immediately previous wish, and any subsequent wishes in the manner intended by the wisher.
3. Wish for the best possible wish that one could wish for at this point.

Note that, even if the wish-granting entity and/or its wishes are unavoidably net-harmful, this limits the damage - so far as I can see, to zero. (Since the best possible wish in that case would be to not make a wish.)

If you only get one wish, then I'd attempt a compound wish:

1. Wish that the wish-granting entity be compelled to grant the best possible wish - by one's own definition of 'best' - that could have been made at this point.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 pm UTC
by cheeseheadtotherescue
"Feb 06 That wish-granting entities be required to interpret wishes in accordance with the intent of the wisher" I didn't really understand the point of that one until I re-read the list and realized the previous wish was to be given unlimited eyelashes and thought how that could be interpreted differently... Somehow, the thought of an EXTREMELY bushy eyed stick figure popped into my head and I just started laughing hysterically!!! Wow... I love this one.

Also, Hopefully, the wish granting entity is not related to the third guy in of http://xkcd.com/246/

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:19 pm UTC
by Kit.
sorceror wrote:So long as you get the standard '3 wishes' bit, it's pretty simple.

1. Wish that the wish-granting entity be compelled to grant one's subsequent meta-wishes. (Not a meta-wish itself, but rather a wish about the wish-granting entity.)
2. Wish that the wish-granting entity be compelled to grant this wish, the immediately previous wish, and any subsequent wishes in the manner intended by the wisher.
3. Wish for the best possible wish that one could wish for at this point.

Note that, even if the wish-granting entity and/or its wishes are unavoidably net-harmful, this limits the damage - so far as I can see, to zero. (Since the best possible wish in that case would be to not make a wish.)

If you only get one wish, then I'd attempt a compound wish:

1. Wish that the wish-granting entity be compelled to grant the best possible wish - by one's own definition of 'best' - that could have been made at this point.

You didn't really have any working definition of "best" at that point. So, that's how the Multiverse was born.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:16 pm UTC
by RogueCynic
I think the first wish should be for the Mirror of Erised. Then you would know what to wish for. How about the grantor has the power to slap anyone who makes a stupid wish?

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:40 pm UTC
by PolakoVoador
cheeseheadtotherescue wrote:"Feb 06 That wish-granting entities be required to interpret wishes in accordance with the intent of the wisher" I didn't really understand the point of that one until I re-read the list and realized the previous wish was to be given unlimited eyelashes and thought how that could be interpreted differently... Somehow, the thought of an EXTREMELY bushy eyed stick figure popped into my head and I just started laughing hysterically!!! Wow... I love this one.

Also, Hopefully, the wish granting entity is not related to the third guy in of http://xkcd.com/246/


What if he is related to this one?

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 pm UTC
by San Fran Sam
i have never felt the need to say this about any xkcd strip but... weak sauce. Not to be confused with the weak force.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 pm UTC
by mmmCatSoup

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:07 pm UTC
by sorceror
Kit. wrote:You didn't really have any working definition of "best" at that point. So, that's how the Multiverse was born.


Obviously, the 'best possible outcome' would include the working out of any necessary defintions of 'best'. Covered by wish #2.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 pm UTC
by Hypoon
Why not just wish for happiness? Or is that traditionally forbidden as well?

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:49 pm UTC
by Kit.
sorceror wrote:
Kit. wrote:You didn't really have any working definition of "best" at that point. So, that's how the Multiverse was born.

Obviously, the 'best possible outcome' would include the working out of any necessary defintions of 'best'. Covered by wish #2.

That's why the Multiverse. Any necessary definition of "best" creates its own universe.

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:59 pm UTC
by Delta 088
Slightly confused - I assume the alt-text is a reference to the first 'what-if?' comic? (The one where the baseball gets increased to just under the speed of light. It seems like something that the black hat would do.)

Re: 1086: "Eyelash Wish Log"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:13 pm UTC
by NiteClerk
Hypoon wrote:Why not just wish for happiness? Or is that traditionally forbidden as well?


It's been done:
Steve Martin: If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace.

If I had two wishes that I could wish for this holiday season, the first would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in the spirit of harmony and peace.. and the second would be for $30 million a month to be given to me, tax-free in a Swiss bank account.

You know, if I had three wishes that I could make this holiday season, first, of course, would be for all the children to get together and sing.. the second would be for the $30 million every month to me.. and the third would be for all encompassing power over every living being thing in the entire universe.

And if I had four wishes that I could make this holiday season, first would be the crap about the kids.. second would be for the $30 million.. the third would be for all the power.. and the fourth would be to set aside one month each year for an extended 31-day orgasm, to be brought about slowly by Rosanna Arquette and that model Paulina somebody, I can't think of her name, of course my lovely wife could come, too. She's behind me 100% on this, I guarantee you.

Wait a minute, maybe that sex thing should be the first wish! So, if I made that the first wish, because, you know, it could all go boom tomorrow, and then what have you got? No, no.. the kids singing would be great, that would be nice. No, no, who am I kidding! I mean, theyu're not gonna be able to get all those kids together! I mean, the logistics of the thing is impossible! It's mroe trouble than it's worth! So, we reorganize: here we go. First, the sex - we go with that; second, the money. No! We go with the power second, then the money, and then the kids. Oh, wait, oh geez! I forgot about revenge against my enemies! Okay.. revenge against all my enemies, they should die like pigs in Hell! That would be the fourth wish! And of course, my fifth wish would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in the spirit of peace and harmony. Thank you, everybody.