1088: "Five Years"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dhokarena56

1088: "Five Years"

Postby dhokarena56 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:05 am UTC

alttext: 'Well, no further questions. You're hired!' 'Oh, sorry! I'm no longer interested. There's a bunch of future I gotta go check out!'

Reminds me of a couple of other XKCDs, though I can't remember which at the moment.
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

rhomboidal

Re: 1088: "Five Years"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:06 am UTC

"My ten-year plan? Lots more cobwebs."

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:12 am UTC

I swear, beret guy reminds me a lot of.... me.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:29 am UTC

Someone should apply for an interview and try this, and see how long it takes them to stop waiting and throw you out.

Worst Case Scenario: Your interviewer is another xkcd reader who is incredibly patient and keeps you there for hours.
Best Case Scenario: Your interviewer is another xkcd reader and gives you the job solely because you tried this.

Anyways.... yeah. I wouldn't have hired him. He was incredibly unproductive during those five years so far as I can tell. Though perhaps they had an incredible conversation or just sat in silence thinking amazing philosophical thoughts.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:55 am UTC

alttext: 'Well, no further questions. You're hired!' 'Oh, sorry! I'm no longer interested. There's a bunch of future I gotta go check out!'

One would have thought (hoped?) that at the very least, any developments in toilet technology during those five years would have already been examined...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:59 am UTC

the slow method to time travel, slow but effective.

Still, Beret guy said he didn't know, yet, he thought so? i think the beret may be too tight.
it's fine.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 am UTC

I could never answer this question.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

silvermace

Postby silvermace » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:33 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/943/

also reminds me of of those cyanide and happiness job interview comic:

http://www.explosm.net/comics/1896/

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 am UTC

It's a trick question. There is no right or wrong answer. They just use it as an excuse to not hire you.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:19 am UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:It's a trick question. There is no right or wrong answer. They just use it as an excuse to not hire you.

Just like the "what's your biggest weakness" one.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

tho74

Postby tho74 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 am UTC

also reminds me of of those cyanide and happiness job interview comic:

http://www.explosm.net/comics/1896/

I had to think of this one:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/interview_questions

VariableBraincells

Postby VariableBraincells » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

Let's just hope that the date's don't match up with David Bowie's apocalypse. After all, there was only five years warning for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=louXPUW7tHU

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

Holy crap! I just came on to the fora to complain about working at a temp job for another month after finding out after all they put me through they decided to hire someoene else. I need the work and liked the job, so I'm staying for a month, but it is morale sucking to know that after 8 months with me, liking me work, they decided to go with another candidate. And I fear that the main reason this is, is because I didn't know how to answer the question "Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years."

GOOMHR!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

"The best part of being Salvador Dali is never knowing what he is going to do next."

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
San Fran Sam wrote:It's a trick question. There is no right or wrong answer. They just use it as an excuse to not hire you.

Oh man, somebody actually asked me that in an internal interview. I was totally taken aback, having remembered my dad telling me about two decades earlier that it was a standard stupid interview question and the stock answer was something like "I think I pay too much attention to detail". Not having anything better I trotted that one out, and the interviewer said "it's amazing how many people say that!". I so wanted to say "that's because it's the standard answer to a question that interviewers stopped asking sometime during the telex age". I didn't get the job, but the guy didn't stay around for long either.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

That desk took on a lot of wear and tear in 5 years.

CodexDraco

Postby CodexDraco » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

Oh I hate that question too much, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It forces you to make up a story in the spot (fortunately I'm good for that).

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

Upon reflection, something that didn't add up is the length of beret guys beard it did not seem long enough.

So I did some checking, on google, it seems that human hair has an average growth rate of about 'half an inch' a month or (12.7 mm in the modern measure, though should 'abouting' the conversion give ~13mm ?)
Anyway the beard should be around 2 and half feet in length (762mm in the new..) which it isn't, the curl of his beard hair probably would 'shorten' the overall distance, though by how much I am not sure, to me it looks more like 2 years growth, not five.

I did wonder if the hair had been falling out and had reached it's maximum length based on the longevity of the hair, so i looked it up and it seems hair has a growth phase of somewhere between 2 to 7 seven years which would result in a minimum length of beard roughly about a foot long, which it appears to be!
So it seems that beret guy falls closer to the 2 year mark, filling in a little more of beret guys background while we are at it, I am sure the geneticists out there could infer some interesting things from this.

The only problem is that there should be a mass of beardy hair collected in beret guys lap, yet there's not, which brings me to the next problem and how it's resolved.

What did beret guy eat to survive 5 years in the one spot?

so I went looking for the possibility of using cast off hair as a food source, initially I suspected it wouldnt be much good, regardless of hairs high protien content but then I found this, sure it is the intenet, it is a google response, and well, why not.

Now we all know that beret guy likes baked goods, or perhaps just the additives, and has a penchant for buisness cards so we can presume any other paper products might be fair game for our intrepid time travelling buisness profesional/philosopher, mix it up with other office based fare and bingo. the food is sorted.

I have no idea about the toileting problem, except, perhaps the hair ball created some kind of bezoar which kept the business end out of buisness, so to speak.
it's fine.

AdmiralGreene

Postby AdmiralGreene » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

Why didn't you just use beard seconds?
I suppose I should state something clever, no?

Dragons!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:26 am UTC

dhokarena56 wrote:Reminds me of a couple of other XKCDs, though I can't remember which at the moment.
Reminds me of Empirical: http://xkcd.com/943/
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:35 am UTC

AdmiralGreene wrote:Why didn't you just use beard seconds?

good question, other than the fact that 2 years (minimum) worth of growth would lead to a fairly large number (3.15e7 beard-seconds)in a fairly silly unit* (and I wouldn't want to come across as silly) the real reason is, I have until extremely recently been unaware of the beard-second, but as I deal with thin film scientisits on an irregular frequency, I shall learn to use it with brutal irregularity.
Until they hate me.
more.

*never has Wolfram-Alpha felt so dirty
it's fine.

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:

Really tired of this one, I once answered: "Inability to come up with weaknesses on interviews."

AUS

Postby AUS » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

You're supposed to say "Job interviews."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”