1091: "Curiosity"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ryzvonusef (1151717)

1091: "Curiosity"

Postby ryzvonusef (1151717) » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:49 am UTC

"As of this writing the NASA/JPL websites are still overloaded. Trying CURIOSITY-REAR-CAM_[256px_x_256px].torrent.SwEsUb.DVDRip.XviD-aXXo.jpg instead."

http://xkcd.com/1091/
So... the Curiosty is some sort of bizarre interplanetary Goatse? :wink:

Spoiler:
I hope I did this right?
Last edited by ryzvonusef (1151717) on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thunderbird

Re: 1091: "Curiosity"

Postby thunderbird » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:55 am UTC

I followed it on NASA TV (I'm from Europe). I'm disappointed nobody took the opportunity to shout "Dropship inbound!" when they received signal of the backshell separation.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:57 am UTC

I'm still watching, 1255PDT. I watched the landing coverage on the NASA channel at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry - we had more than 1000 people show up. When JPL mission control was shouting and hugging, we were too. Forgot to bring peanuts to share - next time!

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 am UTC

I'm hoping the twitter feed follows the robots thought processes.

"I'm gonna analyse the shit out of this rock. Whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

"I'm gonna trundle over here and have a look at this"
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

F3ngles

Postby F3ngles » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:08 am UTC

Success!

And not just any skycrane, but a ROCKET* skycrane.

*Adding "rocket" in front of inanimate common nouns makes that object a million times awesomer - the same way adding "wizard" does for people's occupation.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:09 am UTC

I was sure this would be Randall's excuse for being late.

And besides, this is going to end badly.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

standingwave

Postby standingwave » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:20 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:I'm hoping the twitter feed follows the robots thought processes.

It's a nuclear powered robot with a frickin' laser beam attached to its head so it will pretty much vaporize the shit of that rock! (Using technology created at Los Alamos, ChemCam will focus a beam of infrared light onto a target from its French-built laser, vaporizing it with over a million watts of energy from up to 23 feet away.)

Eat your heart out, Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!
Last edited by standingwave on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am UTC

F3ngles wrote:*Adding "rocket" in front of inanimate common nouns makes that object a million times awesomer - the same way adding "wizard" does for people's occupation.

If your hypothesis is correct, then Rocket Wizard must be the coolest combination of words in the english language.

We must test this.

F3ngles

Postby F3ngles » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:32 am UTC

Invertin wrote:
F3ngles wrote:*Adding "rocket" in front of inanimate common nouns makes that object a million times awesomer - the same way adding "wizard" does for people's occupation.

If your hypothesis is correct, then Rocket Wizard must be the coolest combination of words in the english language.

We must test this.

I believe a rocket wizard is what you would call the people working behind the Curiosity project. QED :wink:

GulliNL

Postby GulliNL » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 am UTC

I'm from Holland so this morning I got up, made a sandwich, turned to the livestream, cheered, and got off to work :)

I would have loved to see a nice clear videofeed from Opportunity following the entire process, from "Superfast Mecha-comet"-stage to "Übercool autonomous flying rocket airlifting a robot onto the surface"-stage.
I'm not completely worthless; I can be used as a bad example.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:I was sure this would be Randall's excuse for being late.

Spirit abandoned? No - Curiosity is a nuclear powered autonomous robot armed with a laser and a high speed drill. Curiosity travels at 4 cm/second, or 3.5km per earth day. The two Rovers are 2300km apart. So Curiosity may decide to ignore orders from aliens on another planet, and take off cross country to rescue its abandoned brother (in less than 2 earth years). They will then travel together to rescue Opportunity.

With the laser and drill, Curiosity can smelt local iron to fashion robot arms for its brothers. Then they will build a race of Martian robots, then rockets, then return to earth, destroying us all with their death beams.

Yes, it will end badly. But not for the rovers.

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:54 am UTC

Sorry Randal, but aXXo retired years ago.

BTW, what happened to the fora link in the menu bar on the homepage?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 am UTC

F3ngles wrote:
Invertin wrote:

We must test this.

I believe a rocket wizard is what you would call the people working behind the Curiosity project. QED :wink:
I knew a rocket wizard once. All he could do was make salads.

Really awesome salads, to be sure, but still....

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 am UTC

keithl wrote:Spirit abandoned? No - Curiosity is a nuclear powered autonomous robot armed with a laser and a high speed drill. Curiosity travels at 4 cm/second, or 3.5km per earth day. The two Rovers are 2300km apart. So Curiosity may decide to ignore orders from aliens on another planet, and take off cross country to rescue its abandoned brother (in less than 2 earth years). They will then travel together to rescue Opportunity.

With the laser and drill, Curiosity can smelt local iron to fashion robot arms for its brothers. Then they will build a race of Martian robots, then rockets, then return to earth, destroying us all with their death beams.

Yes, it will end badly. But not for the rovers.

This hypothesis was not envisioned in the Robot Apocalpyse "What-if".
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am UTC

Invertin wrote:

We must test this.

well both words are trochees....

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:46 am UTC

First person to walk on Mars is going to gather up the rovers, clean them up, and play battle bots!
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Tualha

Postby Tualha » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:01 am UTC

Anyone else notice anything about the crowd in the control room?

Yay America. Plus ten points for a great scientific and engineering achievement. Minus several thousand for arranging things so that minority youths go to prison more, and to college less, than white youths.

:cry:

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:I was sure this would be Randall's excuse for being late.

Don't worry, I got this

project2051

Postby project2051 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 am UTC

I already told them at work I would probably be in late Monday morning since I was going to be up late to watch the landing coverage.

Antior

Postby Antior » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:11 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:

We must test this.

Are we talking about Rocket-powered flying broomsticks, here?

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

F3ngles wrote:
Invertin wrote:

We must test this.

That, or going completely the other direction, a magic user that conjures rockets, brings a whole new meaning to the spell "magic missile"

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

ryzvonusef (1151717) wrote:[url=http://www.xkcd.com/1091]
"As of this writing the NASA/JPL websites are still overloaded. Trying CURIOSITY-REAR-CAM_[256px_x_256px].torrent.SwEsUb.DVDRip.XviD-aXXo.jpg instead."

I hope I did this right?

You forgot to call the extra line you quoted an "alt-text" or a "title-text". People love to complain about that, and you didn't give them the chance.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

Condor70

Postby Condor70 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:38 pm UTC

The images of the people cheering in the control center reminded me of this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neoUi4poCXI

(I wonder if Curiosity also contains this feature...)

Far

Postby Far » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 pm UTC

Just announced by NASA:

The landing of our latest rover on Mars has accidentally
killed a rare Martian dust leopard.

Once again, Curiosity killed the cat.

8) ) :D Cheers for the efforts and successes of NASA.

brunurb

Postby brunurb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

Anyone else actually try searching for that torrent and become disappointed? Logically, I knew there wouldn't be a dvdrip of it, but I was still hopeful...

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:If your hypothesis is correct, then Rocket Wizard must be the coolest combination of words in the english language.

Ponder Stibbons is seen wearing a T-shirt with the text:

"Actually I am a rocket wizard"

in The Last Hero, by Terry Pratchett. (Couldn't find a web image, though.)

I am not not sure if this supports the hypothesis. I quite like Ponder Stibbons, but I wouldn't say he is cool.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

standingwave wrote:
The Moomin wrote:I'm hoping the twitter feed follows the robots thought processes.

It's a nuclear powered robot with a frickin' laser beam attached to its head so it will pretty much vaporize the shit of that rock! (Using technology created at Los Alamos, ChemCam will focus a beam of infrared light onto a target from its French-built laser, vaporizing it with over a million watts of energy from up to 23 feet away.)

Eat your heart out, Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!

Watts is power, not energy. You'd have to multiply that by the amount of time the laser is on to get energy.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 pm UTC

Tualha wrote:Anyone else notice anything about the crowd in the control room?

Yay America. Plus ten points for a great scientific and engineering achievement. Minus several thousand for arranging things so that minority youths go to prison more, and to college less, than white youths.

Definitely NASA's fault. I demand they fix it! :roll:
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:03 pm UTC

Antior wrote:
Invertin wrote:

We must test this.

Are we talking about Rocket-powered flying broomsticks, here?

This wouldn't be a reference to a certain Harry Potter fanfic, would it?

Paul A. Clayton

Postby Paul A. Clayton » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

Tualha wrote:Minus several thousand for arranging things so that minority youths go to prison more, and to college less, than white youths.

A few things strike me as mistaken with the above comment:
  • The United States as a whole has not consciously arranged socio-economic conditions to hurt minority youths. (This is not to claim that passive acceptance of conditions is not blameworthy. Passing by a drowning person without helping is blameworthy [I receive the impression that "only" a small portion are even hostilely passive, e.g., saying "he should have learned to swim before falling into the pool"] even if less blameworthy than intentionally directing the person to walk on a purposely more slippery area beside the pool or actively pushing the person into the pool knowing the person cannot swim.)
  • Some portion of sending minority youths to prison seems to be intended to protect other minority youths from "being pushed into the pool." (This is not to claim that there is not injustice in how criminal behavior is handled--nor that protection of the more wealthy or even "preferred" race is given more weight--or in how people who have paid their debt are treated.)
  • The implication that education is equivalent to college is also somewhat problematic. A college degree can act as a useful certification of having certain skills or abilities, but such seems to be a very expensive and rather imprecise certification.

Although I am culpably passive in this area (e.g., not offering the limited tutoring ability I have or [with a perhaps more understandable cowardice] not visiting prisoners) and have some racist feelings (though, I think, irrational cultural biases are more significant and I think I used to be more sexist than racist [my sexism has decreased as I have encountered a number of men who show significant gentleness, kindness, and compassion and have observed a falling short in such of a number of women])--despite my blameworthy failings, I do not think my perception of the U.S. as primarily passively racist is merely a result of my racism nor the racism of my environment.

I would like to see more "minority" representation in areas I admire--for selfish reasons of helping to combat my (less acute) racism and of increasing the number of admirable people and thoughts that I can appreciate and for slightly less selfish reasons of social health (as a human being I receive some pleasure from a more glorious humanity). I do not think that inaccurate blame is helpful, and I do think that encouragement must be associated with accurate blame. (I do not mean to discourage the poster's righteous indignation, but grace and truth are both necessary.)

(Yes, there are overwhelmingly many recent-ish examples of very stupid racism [where being uncomfortable around and avoiding contact with people of a different race is stupid racism and very stupid racism includes active verbal abuse and worse].)

I would also note that xkcd readers probably have an intellectual bias. The vocational bias that intellectuals can fall into is as wrong as the vocational bias that priests are more holy than carpenters. The wellness of the heart is more important than the excellence of the mind, and terribly often poverty and racism breed the heart diseases of despair and resentment in their "victims" and pride and despising in those on the "other side".

(That was a long rant, especially for a first post.)

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

Jack21222 wrote:Watts is power, not energy. You'd have to multiply that by the amount of time the laser is on to get energy.

Thank you for explaining, power to the people.

paulrowe

Postby paulrowe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:

We must test this.

Actually, the hypothesis doesn't allow for rocket wizards because "wizard" is not an inanimate common noun.

Wutai

Postby Wutai » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:Watts is power, not energy. You'd have to multiply that by the amount of time the laser is on to get energy.

But for how long?

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

Wutai wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

But for how long?

for as long as democracy can last.

ryzvonusef (1151717)

Postby ryzvonusef (1151717) » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:31 pm UTC

J Thomas wrote:
ryzvonusef (1151717) wrote:[url=http://www.xkcd.com/1091]

I hope I did this right?

You forgot to call the extra line you quoted an "alt-text" or a "title-text". People love to complain about that, and you didn't give them the chance.

Haha, I knew that, that's why I decided to take a Third Option :D

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:21 pm UTC

Overused trope, or perfectly fitting response given the situation?

This was a triumph...
mu

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

So Curiosity has a power drill, a rock-zapping laser, and a radioisotope thermoelectric generator, but not Instagram? Come on, NASA.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

Reference for those who don't get that last joke:
Spoiler:

Spoilered for rage-inducingness.

Something to counteract that:

Seems the MSL was snapped mid-descent.
mu

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Tualha wrote:Anyone else notice anything about the crowd in the control room?

Definitely NASA's fault. I demand they fix it! :roll:

This discussion came out of nowhere. ALSO YOU GUYS: peanuts!
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

F3ngles wrote:Success!

And not just any skycrane, but a ROCKET* skycrane.

*Adding "rocket" in front of inanimate common nouns makes that object a million times awesomer - the same way adding "wizard" does for people's occupation.

So what you are saying is I don't want to be a rocket scientist, I want to be a Rocket Wizard?
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”