1091: "Curiosity"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Max™

Re: 1091: "Curiosity"

Postby Max™ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

Spoilered huge shot of the parachuting lander:
Spoiler:
mu

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:11 pm UTC

ryzvonusef (1151717) wrote:
J Thomas wrote:
ryzvonusef (1151717) wrote:[url=http://www.xkcd.com/1091]
"As of this writing the NASA/JPL websites are still overloaded. Trying CURIOSITY-REAR-CAM_[256px_x_256px].torrent.SwEsUb.DVDRip.XviD-aXXo.jpg instead."

I hope I did this right?

You forgot to call the extra line you quoted an "alt-text" or a "title-text". People love to complain about that, and you didn't give them the chance.

Haha, I knew that, that's why I decided to take a Third Option :D

And look what happened! Nobody is complaining about it. Except me, and I hardly count.

I hope you're proud of yourself.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

Cervisiae Amatorem

Postby Cervisiae Amatorem » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

Checking out the NASA website, I think I found a math error.
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia ... dex-2.html

---
Wheels:

Materials: made of aluminum, with cleats for traction and curved titanium springs for springy support
Size: 20 inches (0.5 meters) in diameter
Other: one full turn of a wheel with no slippage is nearly 25 inches (63 centimeters) of driving
---

Shouldn't a wheel with 20 inch diameter be almost 63 inches of driving?

mishka

Postby mishka » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

Government websites definitely need to move towards a cloud based solution for insecure data.

>Census release of 1940 data: overload
>Supreme Court decision: overload
>Curiosity: overload

The combined server capacities of the entire US government would be more then enough to sustain the slashdot effect.

Greatest threat to US internet infrastructure: the American people.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

Cervisiae Amatorem wrote:Checking out the NASA website, I think I found a math error.
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia ... dex-2.html

---
Wheels:

Materials: made of aluminum, with cleats for traction and curved titanium springs for springy support
Other: one full turn of a wheel with no slippage is nearly 25 inches (63 centimeters) of driving
---

Not if you take into account that the diameter of Mars is much smaller than the diameter of Earth. When the wheel makes one full turn, it only goes 25 inches as seen from Earth, because of the curvature of the Mars surface.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

standingwave

Postby standingwave » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

Cervisiae Amatorem wrote:Shouldn't a wheel with 20 inch diameter be almost 63 inches of driving?
On Earth, sure. But on Mars, Pi is only 38% of its Earth value. :P

dysprog

Postby dysprog » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Spirit abandoned? No - Curiosity is a nuclear powered autonomous robot armed with a laser and a high speed drill. Curiosity travels at 4 cm/second, or 3.5km per earth day. The two Rovers are 2300km apart. So Curiosity may decide to ignore orders from aliens on another planet, and take off cross country to rescue its abandoned brother (in less than 2 earth years). They will then travel together to rescue Opportunity.

That reminds me of a filk I like:
lyrics: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/01 ... Spirit.txt
mp3: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/01 ... Spirit.mp3

The basic idea: Spirit, Opportunity and the orbiter (Name?) team up and become sapient. They explore Mars together. It's sweet.

chocolate.razorblades

Postby chocolate.razorblades » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

keithl wrote:I'm still watching, 1255PDT. I watched the landing coverage on the NASA channel at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry - we had more than 1000 people show up. When JPL mission control was shouting and hugging, we were too. Forgot to bring peanuts to share - next time!

Also saw it at OMSI! *high-five*

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:40 pm UTC

standingwave wrote:
Cervisiae Amatorem wrote:Shouldn't a wheel with 20 inch diameter be almost 63 inches of driving?
On Earth, sure. But on Mars, Pi is only 38% of its Earth value. :P

Eh, close enough, right?

Oh, I have been raging about this stupid fucker who wrote a bullshit story freaking out over "Curiosity has 10 lbs of Pu-238 which could have been released if there was an accident", gotta love his figures too, "1 in 100 rockets destruct"... uh, really? Pretty sure the Atlas V has had exactly 1 failure involving the second stage putting a payload in an unusable orbit. While the Atlas II had 63 launches with no failures, where is he pulling this shit from?

He also brings up cases of RTG accidents, and neglects Apollo 13, which involved the Lunar Module undergoing re-entry, burning up completely, and the RTG was so overengineered that it survived intact, plunged into the ocean, and wound up 20,000 feet underwater... still intact. Estimates suggest it will remain intact for at least 870 years, 10 half-lives for PU-238.

He rambles on about how we don't need RTGs anyways, as though they've never done anything significant.

Nimbus
Apollo 11-17
Pioneer 10 and 11
Voyager 1 and 2
Viking landers
Galileo
Cassini
Sojourner
Ulysses
Huygens
Spirit and Opportunity

All used RTGs for power or heating.

Gotta love how he also rambles about Plutonium "long being described as the most lethal radioactive substance", wonder if he knows what alpha particles actually do?

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/08/06-4

What a cunt.
mu

Evadman

Postby Evadman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

What a great day to be a human.

Arcteryx

Postby Arcteryx » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 pm UTC

Cervisiae Amatorem wrote:Checking out the NASA website, I think I found a math error.
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/interactives/learncuriosity/index-2.html

---
Wheels:

---

Wouldn't be the first time NASA screwed up a unit conversion. :P

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

akirjazi wrote:
Eutychus wrote:I was sure this would be Randall's excuse for being late.

And besides, this is going to end badly.

Don't worry, I got this

Spoiler:

Why am I the first one to say that I loved this edit?

Anyway, I was showing a friend the "Spirit" comic yesterday, as we were talking about "Curiosity". Not really a GOOMHR moment, but for some reason I really didn't expect a "Curiosity" comic on Monday. I guess I'm not too bright after all, with all the Randal's robots and NASA stuff... I should've expected that. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Martin P Roberts

Postby Martin P Roberts » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:10 am UTC

jpers36 wrote:
Antior wrote:
Invertin wrote:
F3ngles wrote:*Adding "rocket" in front of inanimate common nouns makes that object a million times awesomer - the same way adding "wizard" does for people's occupation.

If your hypothesis is correct, then Rocket Wizard must be the coolest combination of words in the english language.

We must test this.

Are we talking about Rocket-powered flying broomsticks, here?

This wouldn't be a reference to a certain Harry Potter fanfic, would it?

I don't see how that assumption could be less wrong.

saraid

Postby saraid » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:21 am UTC

Aelfyre wrote:
F3ngles wrote:Success!

And not just any skycrane, but a ROCKET* skycrane.

*Adding "rocket" in front of inanimate common nouns makes that object a million times awesomer - the same way adding "wizard" does for people's occupation.

So what you are saying is I don't want to be a rocket scientist, I want to be a Rocket Wizard?

Rocket Robot Scientist Wizard.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:35 am UTC

A thought: If bacteria (or something like bacteria) were found on Mars (or any planet) that would be taken as proof that simple lifeforms had spontaneously arisen there (or had been sent there from somewhere else they spontaneously arose). But if a watch (or a rover) was found, that would obviously be proof of intelligence.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mixh

Postby mixh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:38 am UTC

You - "Curiosity"
Your boss - "Poor time management skills"

keithl

Postby keithl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:25 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:A thought: If bacteria (or something like bacteria) were found on Mars (or any planet) that would be taken as proof that simple lifeforms had spontaneously arisen there (or had been sent there from somewhere else they spontaneously arose).

Not so for Mars. Gigatons of material have been knocked loose from Mars and from Earth by meteoritic bombardment. And megatons ended up on the other planet. Even a few grams of earth rock are loaded with bacteria. So if Mars and Earth were both hospitable to life at the same time, billions of years ago during the bombardment era, it is quite possible that many bacteria/archaea were sent back and forth, and the same evolutionary tree spanned both planets. So if we find evidence of life (perhaps the kind of mineral oxides that indicate free oxygen in the atmosphere), we still don't know whether it was the same tree, and if so, which planet it originated on.

Indeed, if we find the proper chemistry, evidence of water, etc., and don't find the right mineral oxides, it will be a sign that life does not take hold very easily. Quite possible - we have plate tectonics, a large moon causing tides and axis stabilization, and other features that some say are necessary for life.

We can hypothesize all we want, mostly to focus our attention on which rocks to examine and look for, but Curiosity has such awesome lab instruments we are sure to be surprised. And it will hopefully still be running strong a decade later, so we can go through many cycles of surprise/hypothesis/test/proof/counter-proof. In a decade, I hope we are asking much more sophisticated questions about biogenesis than we are asking now.

jpk

Postby jpk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:37 am UTC

Arcteryx wrote:Wouldn't be the first time NASA screwed up a unit conversion. :P

I think they should steer clear of gender reassignment and stick with what they know.

ryzvonusef (1151717)

Postby ryzvonusef (1151717) » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:24 am UTC

J Thomas wrote:
ryzvonusef (1151717) wrote:
J Thomas wrote:
ryzvonusef (1151717) wrote:[url=http://www.xkcd.com/1091]
"As of this writing the NASA/JPL websites are still overloaded. Trying CURIOSITY-REAR-CAM_[256px_x_256px].torrent.SwEsUb.DVDRip.XviD-aXXo.jpg instead."

I hope I did this right?

You forgot to call the extra line you quoted an "alt-text" or a "title-text". People love to complain about that, and you didn't give them the chance.

Haha, I knew that, that's why I decided to take a Third Option :D

And look what happened! Nobody is complaining about it. Except me, and I hardly count.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

Je suis désolé :oops: :cry:

----
ON TOPIC:
Now that Curiosity is there, what's up next? What's our next excuse for a holiday? :wink:

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:48 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
akirjazi wrote:

Don't worry, I got this

Spoiler:

Why am I the first one to say that I loved this edit?

I thought the edit was awesome too,
I wish Curiosity has a secret ability to assimilate older probes into itself, like the Borg or a megazord.... that would be awesome.

humanalien

Postby humanalien » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:31 pm UTC

There really are flat cats on Mars!

They used to be round cats, but that clumsy rover accidentally squished them.

#CuriosityKilledtheCat

I discovered a distance between two points that's shorter than a straight line! It's called a straight line segment.

http://www.abbyandnorma.com
http://www.erikahammerschmidt.com

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

keithl wrote:

Spirit abandoned? No - Curiosity is a nuclear powered autonomous robot armed with a laser and a high speed drill. Curiosity travels at 4 cm/second, or 3.5km per earth day. The two Rovers are 2300km apart. So Curiosity may decide to ignore orders from aliens on another planet, and take off cross country to rescue its abandoned brother (in less than 2 earth years). They will then travel together to rescue Opportunity.

With the laser and drill, Curiosity can smelt local iron to fashion robot arms for its brothers. Then they will build a race of Martian robots, then rockets, then return to earth, destroying us all with their death beams.

Yes, it will end badly. But not for the rovers.

When the two bots meet up, they'll have been away for years without meeting another soul. Millions of miles from home, under big skies, beholding views nobody has seen before, only each other (i.e. the plutonium battery) for warmth... Maybe they'll make love, not war.

(Maybe it's just that I can't help thinking of the phrase "bi-curious".)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

humanalien wrote:There really are flat cats on Mars!

They used to be round cats, but that clumsy rover accidentally squished them.

#CuriosityKilledtheCat

Ugh, that's so awful it's wonderful.
mu

keithl

Postby keithl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:When the two bots meet up, they'll have been away for years without meeting another soul. Millions of miles from home, under big skies, beholding views nobody has seen before, only each other (i.e. the plutonium battery) for warmth... Maybe they'll make love, not war.

IANAL, but before this thread makes its eagerly anticipated descent into Rule 34 territory, please remember these robots are underage, and they crossed state lines on their way to Mars.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

keithl wrote:
orthogon wrote:When the two bots meet up, they'll have been away for years without meeting another soul. Millions of miles from home, under big skies, beholding views nobody has seen before, only each other (i.e. the plutonium battery) for warmth... Maybe they'll make love, not war.

IANAL, but before this thread makes its eagerly anticipated descent into Rule 34 territory, please remember these robots are underage, and they crossed state lines on their way to Mars.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:15 am UTC

keithl wrote:IANAL, but before this thread makes its eagerly anticipated descent into Rule 34 territory, please remember these robots are underage, and they crossed state lines on their way to Mars.

Bah. What goes on Mars, stays on Mars.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
keithl wrote:IANAL, but before this thread makes its eagerly anticipated descent into Rule 34 territory, please remember these robots are underage, and they crossed state lines on their way to Mars.

Ahem:
mu

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
orthogon wrote:

Ahem:

Cool! The site that picture came from is truly fascinating.
So in principle they might suffer coitus interruptus courtesy of some high-energy meteorite, hard enough to be ejected from Mars's gravity; be sent hurtling through space; somehow survive re-entry; and finally land somewhere on Earth in flagrante delicto for all to see. Nevertheless they might consider it worth the risk on balance.

JBantha

Postby JBantha » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:45 pm UTC

I'm here just to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxKAoqn6Bw4&feature=player_detailpage#t=384s

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, they said.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, they said.

But still they come....

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”