1095: "Crazy Straws"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

asdfzxc

1095: "Crazy Straws"

Postby asdfzxc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:01 am UTC

Alt-text: The new crowd is heavily shaped by this guy named Eric, who's basically the Paris Hilton of the amateur plastic crazy straw design world.

The sad part about this is that all my real-world friends probably see me this way. :(

rhomboidal

Re: 1095: "Crazy Straws"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:05 am UTC

I won't swallow straw theory until it makes some testable experimental predictions.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:07 am UTC

full of drama, with friction between the regulars and a splinter group

Welp, time to go take this to Ponychan.
Seriously, it's a mess over there. Of all the websites to have politics and drama... a My Little Pony website. Yup.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:08 am UTC

You're wrong Randall. There's always a bottom of subcultures. It's called "4Chan"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:You're wrong Randall. There's always a bottom of subcultures. It's called "4Chan"

Nope, even that doesn't necessarily apply. At least some of the boards have serial threads with their OWN subcultures.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

asdfzxc

Postby asdfzxc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:You're wrong Randall. There's always a bottom of subcultures. It's called "4Chan"

4chan is right between Something Awful and Reddit on the food chain.

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:17 am UTC

Wouldn't the bottom be the individual, or is there some smaller unit of subculture? Does that mean I'm my own subculture?
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:18 am UTC

Himself wrote:Wouldn't the bottom be the individual, or is there some smaller unit of subculture? Does that mean I'm my own subculture?

Individuals can be involved in multiple subcultures, so instead of simply nesting, it can be recursive.

mayor_mccheeze

Postby mayor_mccheeze » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 am UTC

Misspelling: second to last line. "subcultres" -> "subcultures"

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:21 am UTC

asdfzxc wrote:

4chan is right between Something Awful and Reddit on the food chain.
Something Awful's declined that much? Reddit I can kind of see that being the case.

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:24 am UTC

He spelled "subcultures" wrong. I mention this mainly so we can see how quickly he corrects it, or if he does. He does usually correct spelling mistakes, right?
Spoiler:

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:33 am UTC

Having seen similar if not identical behavior(s) in literally dozens of fandoms, hobbies and subcultures over the years - god, yes. Absolutely true.

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Himself wrote:Wouldn't the bottom be the individual, or is there some smaller unit of subculture? Does that mean I'm my own subculture?

Individuals can be involved in multiple subcultures, so instead of simply nesting, it can be recursive.

I see. I guess uncertainty could apply to, like questioning one's choice of best pony.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

Simplex

Postby Simplex » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:51 am UTC

a splinter group focused on loops...

... nested fractally...

ಠ_ಠ You need to lay off the LSD Randall.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:10 am UTC

Himself wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:

I see. I guess uncertainty could apply to, like questioning one's choice of best pony.
Fluttershy, obviously.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:49 am UTC

You forgot the part where most of the drama starts being people complaining about people acknowledging their hobby in real life or caring too much about it.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Bill_Pistol

Postby Bill_Pistol » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:56 am UTC

This comic reminded me of the Eric Conspiracy. I first learned of it in the Jargon File, aka the Hacker's Dictionary. It brought back lots of good memories, thanks!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eric+conspiracy

Tova

Postby Tova » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:58 am UTC

After reading this comic, I know how it is to stare into the abyss.

There was about as much manic laughter as I had guessed.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:59 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:You forgot the part where most of the drama starts being people complaining about people acknowledging their hobby in real life or caring too much about it.

Dammit, why does this keep coming back to things that are so EASILY applied to the MLP fandom?

Wolfenpilot687

Postby Wolfenpilot687 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 am UTC

I just made an account to point out "subcultres".
My gosh, I am so anal.

Randomness

Postby Randomness » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 am UTC

No, you're just a culture.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:14 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:You forgot the part where most of the drama starts being people complaining about people acknowledging their hobby in real life or caring too much about it.

Dammit, why does this keep coming back to things that are so EASILY applied to the MLP fandom?
Because we're one of the fastest growing, sensitive and volatile groups in the world?

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:

Because we're one of the fastest growing, sensitive and volatile groups in the world?

I wouldn't call bronies volatile. They are usually amicable toward one another. However, when they do fight, things can get real bad.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:34 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
I wouldn't call bronies volatile. They are usually amicable toward one another. However, when they do fight, things can get real bad.
The majority of them can't take a joke. I can't believe people would actually get offended by THIS.
Spoiler:
mike nelson bronies.png

zukenft

Postby zukenft » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:36 am UTC

oh, oh, I know who is the Paris Hilton of the scientific stickman webcomic world!

Gye

Postby Gye » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:46 am UTC

Oh man, this is giving me flashbacks to my first anime convention. I went with a non-fan, and only realized how incredibly pointless all the divisions are when I tried to explain them. And some of them are really bitter, too.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:53 am UTC

mayor_mccheeze wrote:Misspelling: second to last line. "subcultres" -> "subcultures"

That's the reason I came to this thread XD
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:07 am UTC

When you say 'bottom' do you in fact mean 'arsehole'?

surrealize

Postby surrealize » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 am UTC

Human subcultures are nested fractally

I first noticed this when I started learning about the doctrinal disagreements between all the different Protestant churches.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 am UTC

The individual can be divided, but it is not pretty.
mu

Carl T

Postby Carl T » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:15 am UTC

Max™ wrote:The individual can be divided, but it is not pretty.

Speak for yourself. My spleen would look beautiful on a concrete floor.

As for the idea presented in today's comic: my experience says it's about right. I'm currently interested in building LEGO models of Swedish 1960s trains. Not that I'll still be after I finish the first one, but that just goes to show that it's fractal in the time dimension too. :)

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 am UTC

I definitely felt a link with xkcd 915 (the wine expert/Joe Biden eating a sandwich one).
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

noregsson

Postby noregsson » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 am UTC

You can make fun of everything, as long as it's something I don't care about.
You can do whatever you want, as long as it's something I approve of.
You can have whatever opinion you want, as long as it's the same as mine.

I think I might make that part of the constitution when I take over Norway and make it into a "social autocracy" (or is "democratic autocracy" a better label?). After a few terms of insane dictators maybe people will think twice before electing a new one.

leifbk

Postby leifbk » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:05 am UTC

BRIAN: Are you the Judean People's Front?

REG: Fuck off!

BRIAN: What?

REG: Judean People's Front. We're the People's Front of Judea! Judean People's Front. Cawk.

FRANCIS: Wankers.

BRIAN: Can I... join your group?

REG: No. Piss off.

BRIAN: I didn't want to sell this stuff. It's only a job. I hate the Romans as much as anybody.

PEOPLE'S FRONT OF JUDEA: Shhhh. Shhhh. Shhh. Shh. Shhhh.

REG: Stumm.

JUDITH: Are you sure?

BRIAN: Oh, dead sure. I hate the Romans already.

REG: Listen. If you wanted to join the P.F.J., you'd have to really hate the Romans.

BRIAN: I do!

REG: Oh, yeah? How much?

BRIAN: A lot!

REG: Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than the Romans are the fucking Judean People's Front.

P.F.J.: Yeah...

JUDITH: Splitters.

P.F.J.: Splitters...

FRANCIS: And the Judean Popular People's Front.

P.F.J.: Yeah. Oh, yeah. Splitters. Splitters...

LORETTA: And the People's Front of Judea.

P.F.J.: Yeah. Splitters. Splitters...

REG: What?

LORETTA: The People's Front of Judea. Splitters.

REG: We're the People's Front of Judea!

LORETTA: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.

REG: People's Front! C-huh.

FRANCIS: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?

REG: He's over there.

P.F.J.: Splitter!

Monty Python: Life of Brian, 1979

Quoting Wikipedia:

"The film pokes fun at revolutionary groups and 1970s British left-wing politics. "What the film does do is place modern stereotypes in a historical setting, which enables it to indulge in a number of sharp digs, particularly at trade unionists and guerilla organisations". The groups in the film all oppose the Roman occupation of Judea, but fall into the familiar pattern of intense competition among factions that appears, to an outsider, to be over ideological distinctions so small as to be invisible; "ideological purity", as Cleese once described it."
Last edited by leifbk on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:20 am UTC

Great, so now I'm being compared to Paris Hilton, and by someone who doesn't even have a strong understanding of me or my views on straw design. Yes, I'm a sexy blonde, and yes, like small dogs but I hardly think that those two comparison points are enough to label me as the Paris Hilton of any world considering my lack on inherited wealth. Personal attacks aside, it's not like our mailing list has two distinct camps, there is a spectrum of people who place more or less emphasis on the importance of loops and semi-loops in straw design. Admittedly I am pretty far towards the end of that places high emphasis on loops, but to look at that one variable on its own is a pretty reductive treatment of the situation. My "Roller coaster for beverages" thesis is commonly cited and talked about, but even amongst people that place a high importance to loops it is pretty controversial. Now there are a some people on the mailing lists and message boards that really have taken a liking to my thesis, and have expanded upon it, but I don't know how much shaping I've actually done. From what I can tell I mostly just articulated what a lot of people were already thinking, but they were hesitant to come out and just say it.

There is also the fact that a lot of newcomers will see what amounts to good-natured ribbing and assume that a lot of us are really mad at each other because they don't understand all the inside jokes and references. While we do argue quite a lot about theory, almost all the regulars respect the hell out of each other. Whenever we meet up in real life we buy each other lots of beers that we gladly drink through each other's straws. There are a few exceptions of course, I'm reluctant to call them ill-tempered dicks, but really they take things way to seriously.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:41 am UTC

So who's the Paris Hilton of My Little Leopard? (Warning: my word filter may still be in effect.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:56 am UTC

Since when are there user-specific wordfilters?

Nyxrisor

Postby Nyxrisor » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:05 am UTC

There is a bottom layer, and it consists of almost 7 billion subcultures.

Yosarian2

Postby Yosarian2 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:33 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:

because this applies to EVERY subculture

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:43 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Since when are there user-specific wordfilters?

Since they added one on their own?
mu

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”