1099: "Tuesdays"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1099: "Tuesdays"

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:01 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1099/
Alt text: "Try our bottomless drinks and fall forever!"
Don't fly too close to the sun!

Himself

Re: 1099: "Tuesdays"

Postby Himself » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:02 am UTC

I'm not going with the bottomless drink. I already fell for the briefcase.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 am UTC

The beret/endless-wings look is hard to pull off, but he makes it work.

asdfzxc

Postby asdfzxc » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Next week's what-if: What happens when you spill that bottomless drink?

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:26 am UTC

I'm not one to usually criticize the comic, but man, this was weak. Is there something I'm missing here?
Spoiler:

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:27 am UTC

asdfzxc wrote:Next week's what-if: What happens when you spill that bottomless drink?

Better yet: what exactly would constitute a bottomless drink which is either half full or half empty? (Hurray for transfinite sets).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

theknownuniverse

Postby theknownuniverse » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:31 am UTC

asdfzxc wrote:Next week's what-if: What happens when you spill that bottomless drink?

The planet becomes an ever-expanding sphere of soda.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:52 am UTC

Oh my gosh, you guys!

He wrote things in lower case!

Wowzers!

jib

Postby jib » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:54 am UTC

Each of his wings still has an end. Really endless wings would be circular or something.

merrak

Postby merrak » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:57 am UTC

jib wrote:Each of his wings still has an end. Really endless wings would be circular or something.

The other ends extend infinitely far into hammerspace.
`/\=======/\"-

quolnok

Postby quolnok » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:59 am UTC

theknownuniverse wrote:

The planet becomes an ever-expanding sphere of soda.

The beverage container could weigh an infinite amount and therefore not float or just not float regardless. There'd be a point at which the speed of the spill versus the weight of all the drink prevents any more from spilling or if it does float the liquid may float it into an upright position.

I suppose it all depends on the design of the cup...

merrak

Postby merrak » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Better yet: what exactly would constitute a bottomless drink which is either half full or half empty? (Hurray for transfinite sets).

Let's not overlook the practical problem: how would one even drink from a bottomless cup? The server could never fill it far enough for the drinker's lips to touch the liquid.
`/\=======/\"-

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 am UTC

merrak wrote:Let's not overlook the practical problem: how would one even drink from a bottomless cup? The server could never fill it far enough for the drinker's lips to touch the liquid.

The same way you drink from a non-full, non-bottomless cup?

You just have to wait longer for the liquid to flow back to the rim.

gormster

Postby gormster » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:19 am UTC

I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

jib

Postby jib » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:27 am UTC

merrak wrote:
jib wrote:Each of his wings still has an end. Really endless wings would be circular or something.

Yeah, but even in that case each wing still has one end (at the tip). An endless wing would have no end in either direction.

jib

Postby jib » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:36 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:You just have to wait longer for the liquid to flow back to the rim.

Yeah... you'd have to face the cup downwards, and wait for the endlessly falling liquid in it to decelerate and start falling/flowing back towards you.

Turning the cup upside down would require a large amount of energy, though. Suppose you put 1 litre of drink (weighing 1kg) in the cup, and waited for it to fall until it was 1km deep in the cup. Then when you turn the cup upside down, you are moving 1kg of drink from 1km below you to 1km above you. This takes about 20kJ (so to do it in 1 second you'd need 20kW power output).

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:54 am UTC

jib wrote:
merrak wrote:

Yeah, but even in that case each wing still has one end (at the tip). An endless wing would have no end in either direction.

Shh... he's not done yet.

There's a myth about Thor being given a "bottomless" horn to drink from as a challenge (to finish it)

It was a trick by his enemies, as the horn was, in reality, connected to the ocean. Now, of course, the ocean isn't technically bottomless, but you get the idea.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:37 am UTC

gormster wrote:I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.

Bonus Internet points for the Guide's reference :D

javahead

Postby javahead » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:20 am UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:

Sorry, but its not

Arthur Dent says "This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays".

Now, a bottomless cup, is it a tube, or is it a cup that is millions of miles deep, or are we going with convenient bag of holding technology there?
Also, he's going to burn his wings on a star at some point, no?

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:30 am UTC

javahead wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:

Sorry, but its not

Arthur Dent says "This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays"...
There's a difference between a reference and a quote. Gormster's points restored.

A bottomless drink is just unhip.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:43 am UTC

I find this thread quite promising.

Condor70

Postby Condor70 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:45 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Better yet: what exactly would constitute a bottomless drink which is either half full or half empty? (Hurray for transfinite sets).

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:46 am UTC

If he starts flapping those, could he move the Earth around?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:07 am UTC

what's with the lower case "i"

anyway I doubt he could move the earth, but if they are strong enough to get into space I wonder if they're also strong enough to be used for a space elevator.

Sandor

Postby Sandor » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:13 am UTC

javahead wrote:Also, he's going to burn his wings on a star at some point, no?

I wonder if the solution to Olbers' paradox could help answer that.

aerion111

Postby aerion111 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:29 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:There's a myth about Thor being given a "bottomless" horn to drink from as a challenge (to finish it)

It was a trick by his enemies, as the horn was, in reality, connected to the ocean. Now, of course, the ocean isn't technically bottomless, but you get the idea.

Well, no one actually said it was bottomless.
He was essentially dared to drain the horn in one swig to prove his manliness or whatever (the part involving proving stuff was implied, not stated, but this is Thor we're talking about. He's not going to let anyone insinuate he's not the manliest of men) - imagine someone going 'chug, chug, chug', except with less beer-bottles, more horns of mead.
When he failed, the tricksters laughed at him and gave him another couple of tries - he still failed, but drained a few inches of the ocean in the process.
He was also dared to lift an ordinary house-cat (actually an enormous snake-like thing going all around the earth) and only barely managed to budge it, far from even getting it off the ground (which is about the same as if someone 'didn't quite' manage to lift the mount everest, but did get one edge off the ground, or something)
And I think one of the others in his group tried to out-eat 'fire' in the guise of a normal person, only barely losing (though, I'd question whether fire is actually quicker at consuming things, especially food that was probably quite 'juicy', than a human. It tends to have a very slow start until it builds up heat and size)
So, yeah, for someone given impossible tasks, they did a pretty good job.

On the topic of the strip, this feels like one of the weaker jokes, and I didn't even like the execution (he could at least have had the wings be 'stuck' in the 'unfolding' stage - essentially, never showing off the tips and implying that the wings are indeed endless, they just take infinitely long to 'unfold' as a result. The way he did it just looks... Weird.)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 am UTC

aerion111 wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:There's a myth about Thor being given a "bottomless" horn to drink from as a challenge (to finish it)

Well, no one actually said it was bottomless.
He was essentially dared to drain the horn in one swig to prove his manliness or whatever (the part involving proving stuff was implied, not stated, but this is Thor we're talking about. He's not going to let anyone insinuate he's not the manliest of men) - imagine someone going 'chug, chug, chug', except with less beer-bottles, more horns of mead.
When he failed, the tricksters laughed at him and gave him another couple of tries - he still failed, but drained a few inches of the ocean in the process.
He was also dared to lift an ordinary house-cat (actually an enormous snake-like thing going all around the earth) and only barely managed to budge it, far from even getting it off the ground (which is about the same as if someone 'didn't quite' manage to lift the mount everest, but did get one edge off the ground, or something)
And I think one of the others in his group tried to out-eat 'fire' in the guise of a normal person, only barely losing (though, I'd question whether fire is actually quicker at consuming things, especially food that was probably quite 'juicy', than a human. It tends to have a very slow start until it builds up heat and size)
So, yeah, for someone given impossible tasks, they did a pretty good job.

The challenges were:

Thor's two companions:
A footrace (level at the halfway point, but Thought was faster coming back)
An eating contest (both ate the same amount of food in the same time, but Fire also consumed the trough the food was in)
Thor:
Drain a drinking horn in one swig (failed, but drained enough to cause the tides)
Lift a (giant) pet cat (managed to get all but one paw off the ground - and it turns out it was an illusion disguising a length of the World-Serpent)
Wrestle an old granny (Old Age brought Thor to one knee, but couldn't throw him nor overbear him further)

Their host, Utgard-Loki, a mighty giant wizard, got them off the premises and hid his home by powerful magic before admitting the truth of each of the contests to them.

jrkelly

Postby jrkelly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 am UTC

I once went to a pub where they served bottomless chips. They didn't seem to notice that the 5 of us only ordered one bowl and then kept getting it refilled. Got boring after 2 bowls each though.

brandbarth

Postby brandbarth » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 am UTC

Got boring after 2 bowls each though.

You did notice this marketing thingy: you had to pay for the tasty beverage to wash the chips down?

Bottomless fish, bread, and water to wine for everyone, and credit to no one.

jrkelly

Postby jrkelly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:02 am UTC

brandbarth wrote:
Got boring after 2 bowls each though.

You did notice this marketing thingy: you had to pay for the tasty beverage to wash the chips down?

Damn - 3 pints of beer to wash down two bowls of almost free chips. :D

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:19 am UTC

merrak wrote:

This could rip a hole in the hammerspace/hammertime continuum.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 am UTC

A bottomless drink is a tube. Attempting to fill it with liquid will result it falling out of the absent bottom.

If you have an infinitely deep drink, it'll pass through the earth, back into space on the other side, and out beyond the cosmic event horizon. If the universe is finite, the universe may be filled with either an infinite amount of drink, or with a finite amount of drink because the top of the cup is also its absent bottom (i.e. we have a trillion lightyear long cardboard tube filled with soda), after an arbitrary number of loops around the universe, and it's infinite, the cup only extends one way. First, the part of the cup inside the earth will collapse as magma takes its place. Boiling hot soda will geyser out both sides of the earth through the holes in the crust where the cup has replaced the earth. Meanwhile, wind in the atmosphere topples the towering tube of soda, breaking symmetry. The cup tears, and all soda gravitationally bound to the earth, as well as those parts of the cup which remain attached to the earthbound cup, begins its fall towards the earth, where it'll burn up in the atmosphere. In the cold vacuum of space, the soda slowly cools and freezes. The cup bursts open. Gravitational pull from nearby stars slowly breaks up the pillar of ice, and the thousands of miles-long tubes of ice go on their way through the universe.

If you have an infinitely deep drink of finite outside volume (with an outside bottom), the entire universe becomes its black hole and the earth is destroyed in a second.

If you have an infinitely deep drink of finite outside volume and mass, then upon being spilled whatever liquid you put in will eventually come out.

If you have an infinitely deep drink of finite outside volume and mass that is entirely filled with soda, drink will keep spilling out until the pressure between the inside and outside is equalised. If no action is undertaken, then the soda will keep on flowing until the earth is destroyed by the sun, because at the rate the soda flows the oceans take 10 trillion years to double in volume. After the sun goes nova, the cup may be flung out into space and its surface freeze over, or it may end up on the surface of the white dwarf, where it spills a few billion litres of soda before the white dwarf drops below freezing and the cup freezes shut.

The universe will go into heat death long before a soda cup spilling liquid at 1L/second sufficiently increases the earth's ocean levels.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am UTC

they seem to avoid this kind of confusion in the UK by simply stating "free refills" or "all you can eat" rather than coming up with silly titles like "bottomless drinks" or "endless wings"

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:56 am UTC

philip1201 wrote: ...before a soda cup spilling liquid at 1L/second sufficiently increases the earth's ocean levels.

but if you broke the rim of the cup until there was no material opening/just a portal to hammerspace, you could get the liquid to pour out far faster!

AUS

Postby AUS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:they seem to avoid this kind of confusion in the UK by simply stating "free refills" or "all you can eat" rather than coming up with silly titles like "bottomless drinks" or "endless wings"

Uh, it's not an American thing. There are just different names for things, and for this comic to work, he picked that name.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:12 am UTC

AUS wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:they seem to avoid this kind of confusion in the UK by simply stating "free refills" or "all you can eat" rather than coming up with silly titles like "bottomless drinks" or "endless wings"

Uh, it's not an American thing. There are just different names for things, and for this comic to work, he picked that name.

The was I see it, the comic is purposefully making fun of the silly names that restaurants come up with to advertise their "all you can eat/drink" style products. I've never been anywhere in the UK that advertises or describes those kind of products with the words "endless" or "bottomless".

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

"Shop 'til you drop!"

Those endless wings are creepy, but not as creepy as a metaphorical giraffe.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

Thread got this far and nobody asked what happens at the bar with topless waitstaff?

Or for that matter, a full-speed course change into a /. - style rant about unlimited bandwidth?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

javahead wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:

Sorry, but its not

Arthur Dent says "This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays".

Now, a bottomless cup, is it a tube, or is it a cup that is millions of miles deep, or are we going with convenient bag of holding technology there?
Also, he's going to burn his wings on a star at some point, no?

It could be a Klein bottle.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

kelvinc

Postby kelvinc » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:

If you have an infinitely deep drink of finite outside volume and mass that is entirely filled with soda, drink will keep spilling out until the pressure between the inside and outside is equalised. If no action is undertaken, then the soda will keep on flowing until the earth is destroyed by the sun, because at the rate the soda flows the oceans take 10 trillion years to double in volume. After the sun goes nova, the cup may be flung out into space and its surface freeze over, or it may end up on the surface of the white dwarf, where it spills a few billion litres of soda before the white dwarf drops below freezing and the cup freezes shut.

The universe will go into heat death long before a soda cup spilling liquid at 1L/second sufficiently increases the earth's ocean levels.

Our Narnia probe is confirming that sea levels have yet to rise significantly.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”