1101: "Sketchiness"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

justalurkr
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby justalurkr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:Hey baby, wanna come back to my sex?

Pickup line by a transphobic gay man?


Or a gentle remonstration to an easily distracted partner. Could go either way.

Carteeg_Struve
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:52 am UTC

Where does "duck" fall on that line?

User avatar
Max™
Posts: 1792
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 am UTC
Location: mu

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Max™ » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:03 pm UTC

"Sex duck" is roughly infinitely sketchy if you know anything about a duck's penis.
rhomboidal wrote:But make it "Sex Zeppelin," and I'm there.

This is infinitely awesome on the other hand.

More sketchy additions: "-capades", "-plosion", "fair", "shop", "partner", and the least sketchy I can think of is "-y party".
mu

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 pm UTC

SchighSchagh wrote:Ok, so we all clearly agree this is a very sketchy comic. But what would it take to complete the sentence non-sketch-like?

"Hey baby, wanna come back to my sex ed class?"
^^^ still sketchy


"Hey baby, wanna come back to my sex equality seminar?"

justalurkr
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby justalurkr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:11 pm UTC

Now I'm pondering whether there are any non-sketchy blank-fillers, or if some or all of the sentence renders anything sketchy?

Does "Hey, baby" in and of itself condemn the question?

Surely it's not sketchy based solely on the "sex" content?

Would "box" be more or less sketchy than "crate" as a blank-filler?

chaotic_illuminator
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby chaotic_illuminator » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

machine.

I've got James Brown locked up in the basement.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 pm UTC

justalurkr wrote:Now I'm pondering whether there are any non-sketchy blank-fillers, or if some or all of the sentence renders anything sketchy?

Does "Hey, baby" in and of itself condemn the question?

Surely it's not sketchy based solely on the "sex" content?

Would "box" be more or less sketchy than "crate" as a blank-filler?


I think the combination of "hey baby", with the location "sex" in the sentence, forcing it to be used as an adjective is what makes it creepy

rephrasing it as "Hey baby, wanna come back to my ____ for sex" although still pretty creepy is a lot less creepy.

and I'd say crate is worse than box.

User avatar
Max™
Posts: 1792
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 am UTC
Location: mu

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Max™ » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm UTC

"Hey baby, wanna come back to my sexy new Ferrari 599 GTO?"
mu

Carteeg_Struve
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:29 pm UTC

I'm struggling to think of something worse to add there than anything in the lines of "elementary school", "kindergarden", or "day-care center".

chaotic_illuminator
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby chaotic_illuminator » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

morgue.

justalurkr
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby justalurkr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:I'm struggling to think of something worse to add there than anything in the lines of "elementary school", "kindergarden", or "day-care center".


Well, I think that depends on whether this is a Venn diagram situation where "felony" can overlap "sketchy," or more of an either/or where "felony" precludes "sketchy." I must disclose a bias to "felony" precluding pretty much everything else in my worldview.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:38 pm UTC

More options: http://words-beginning-with-sex.worddetector.com/s/
Not really all that interesting, though.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

moloko
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby moloko » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

To the tune of Sex Bomb* by the mighty Sir Tom Jones:

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Sex tarp, sex tarp
I got a sex tarp
You can wrap me in it and then spank me with a carp
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

* EDITED: I did originally have a link to the video of the song on YouTube here but having now read the forum rules I realise I shouldn't be posting links with < 5 posts to my name - so you'll have to find it on YT yourself
Last edited by moloko on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:32 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Max™
Posts: 1792
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 am UTC
Location: mu

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Max™ » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:42 pm UTC

justalurkr wrote:
Carteeg_Struve wrote:I'm struggling to think of something worse to add there than anything in the lines of "elementary school", "kindergarden", or "day-care center".


Well, I think that depends on whether this is a Venn diagram situation where "felony" can overlap "sketchy," or more of an either/or where "felony" precludes "sketchy." I must disclose a bias to "felony" precluding pretty much everything else in my worldview.

"Hey baby, wanna come back to my sex felony?"
mu

moloko
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby moloko » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

I'd not heard this use of the word 'sketchy' before... is this a US-specific thing or have I just been hiding under a lump of geology?

chaotic_illuminator
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby chaotic_illuminator » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm UTC

Way beyond sketchy...

"crime."

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1446
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby mathmannix » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

Trying for "least sketchy" here:

as far as using words that start with the letters "sex" (but are not sex-related) I like the ones people suggested above, namely -tuplets, -agenarian, and -tant (also -tans) [shop].
I would also like to add the somewhat obsolete
"sextonry" and "sexangular [house]".

Also:
"... and gender relations class?"
"... and the City marathon?"
"... Pistols concert?"

Of course, I have to add a few "sketchy" ones too:
"-ateria"
"-ual dysfunction study"
"-sketching class" [how sketchy?]
and last but not least,
"-change hospital?" (also, "-change operation?")

*EDIT: since upon further consideration, it may be necessary for the sentence to end with "sex" followed by a space and then one more word before the question mark, that limits things a bit.
What I can think of for most sketchy is "change" and least sketchy is "survey".
Last edited by mathmannix on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

sonalita
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:06 am UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby sonalita » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

ShuRugal wrote:

you are ... not from America.

something is "sketchy" if it sounds untrustworthy, suspect, or poorly defined.


I know for some it's hard to imagine, but there are other countries in the world besides America. Many even have internet access and some of their citizens read xkcd!

In the UK at least, only your last definition is common. I've never come across "sketchy" in this context before.

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1446
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby mathmannix » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

"Hey baby, wanna come back to my sex trafficking?"
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

When I read that comic I wonder if I could make it sound as less "sketchy" as possible.... so here goes.

Hey baby, want to come back to my sex ____?

- store
- protest
- seminar
- therapy

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 pm UTC

sonalita wrote:
ShuRugal wrote:

you are ... not from America.

something is "sketchy" if it sounds untrustworthy, suspect, or poorly defined.


I know for some it's hard to imagine, but there are other countries in the world besides America. Many even have internet access and some of their citizens read xkcd!

In the UK at least, only your last definition is common. I've never come across "sketchy" in this context before.


Ok, pet peeve time: I'm okay with people born in the US being called "americans", since there seems to be no better options. But c'mon guys, America is a frickin' continent, with 40-something countries. And guess what, most of them speak Spanish :wink:

justalurkr
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby justalurkr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Ok, pet peeve time: I'm okay with people born in the US being called "americans", since there seems to be no better options. But c'mon guys, America is a frickin' continent, with 40-something countries. And guess what, most of them speak Spanish :wink:


And the Spanish speaking population has a great name for what English speakers call Americans: estadounidense. I'd like to bring that, siestas and tapas into mainstream United Statesian culture.

mmmmtapas

teelo
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby teelo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

-attempt

UnstableMongoose
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:12 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby UnstableMongoose » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

justalurkr wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:Ok, pet peeve time: I'm okay with people born in the US being called "americans", since there seems to be no better options. But c'mon guys, America is a frickin' continent, with 40-something countries. And guess what, most of them speak Spanish :wink:


And the Spanish speaking population has a great name for what English speakers call Americans: estadounidense. I'd like to bring that, siestas and tapas into mainstream United Statesian culture.

mmmmtapas


Meh. I rarely have pet peeves with accepted use.

On another note, I really love what Randall is doing here. He's taking a sophisticated metaphor about sex and putting it on a tarp.

teelo
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby teelo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

- aterium next year in Jerusalem?"




Props to the two or three people who get that reference.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
sonalita wrote:
ShuRugal wrote:

you are ... not from America.

something is "sketchy" if it sounds untrustworthy, suspect, or poorly defined.


I know for some it's hard to imagine, but there are other countries in the world besides America. Many even have internet access and some of their citizens read xkcd!

In the UK at least, only your last definition is common. I've never come across "sketchy" in this context before.


Ok, pet peeve time: I'm okay with people born in the US being called "americans", since there seems to be no better options. But c'mon guys, America is a frickin' continent, with 40-something countries. And guess what, most of them speak Spanish :wink:


It's actually 2 continents!!

CharlieBing
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby CharlieBing » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

Hey baby, you really ring my bell... wanna come back to my sex place? It's OK, I'm a sexton. Oh the bells, the bells.

teelo
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby teelo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

- copulation

User avatar
Moose Anus
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

Hey Baby, wanna come back to my sex kcd comic?
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

N_8_
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby N_8_ » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

NotAllThere wrote:-tuplets

I could really use some childcare help.



I think it may be a bad sign for my __ - life if I read this as -tuple.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby VectorZero » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

chaotic_illuminator wrote:machine.

I've got James Brown locked up in the basement.

Image
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

JeromeWest wrote:
Zomba wrote:"sex trebuchet" I'd actually be kind of intrigued. I suppose that climax stimulates the launch?


No no, the landing stimulates the climax.


How about: you climax to launch, and you're fucked when you land.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby VectorZero » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:you climax to launch, and you're fucked when you land.
What is the Mars Climate Orbiter?
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

darkwombat
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:03 am UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby darkwombat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

--weasel farm?
--candy shoppe?
--starship? (ok, that one might have some persuasive power, unless --as seems most likely --when you arrived it was a cardboard box under an overpass)
--bot 5000?
--less existence of mind-numbing loneliness?
--accordion?

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:you climax to launch, and you're fucked when you land.
What is the Mars Climate Orbiter?


You. I like you.

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:
sonalita wrote:
ShuRugal wrote:

you are ... not from America.

something is "sketchy" if it sounds untrustworthy, suspect, or poorly defined.


I know for some it's hard to imagine, but there are other countries in the world besides America. Many even have internet access and some of their citizens read xkcd!

In the UK at least, only your last definition is common. I've never come across "sketchy" in this context before.


Ok, pet peeve time: I'm okay with people born in the US being called "americans", since there seems to be no better options. But c'mon guys, America is a frickin' continent, with 40-something countries. And guess what, most of them speak Spanish :wink:


It's actually 2 continents!!


Well, it's one huge piece of land, America. But if we are going to subdivide it, it can be done in more than one way. If you choose the geografical one, you got 3 continents: South, North and Central America. If you go the cultural one, we have Latin America (everithing south from the USA) and Anglo-Saxonic America (USA and Canada). Or you can even have just North and South America, if you consider the central region as being part of North America.

This is kinda crazy, there are various interpretations to how many continents exist, ranging from 4 to 7.

cout
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby cout » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

What about "fungus"?

User avatar
San Fran Sam
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

I guess I don't see what's so sexy about the bailout of the financial industry. Unless you're Jamie Dimon or somebody.

User avatar
The Moomin
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby The Moomin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

Hey baby, want to come back to my sex etch-a-sketch.

(Although unlike an etch-a-sketch, shaking things around just makes it more messy)
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: 1101: "Sketchiness"

Postby freezeblade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm UTC

So many possibilities. Tower, Catacomb, Ship, Construct, Haus, Rocket, pretty much any noun. Can anyone think of any that are awesome Instead of creepy? Sex Hovercraft maybe?

The commonly used form of 'sketchy' goes even further than this where I'm from (coastal California). The ending 'y' is dropped in most cases, especially among surfers/skaters, resulting in dialogues like the following:

"Dude, we're heading to that seven-stair on 34th, you coming?
"I don't know man, 34th is sketch"
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests