1103: "Nine"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

zombie_monkey

Re: 1103: "Nine"

Postby zombie_monkey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 pm UTC

I think I remember old ones with buttons for the timer, but I'm not sure.* And I'm pretty sure I've seen ones with analog dials. But at least for the timer, currently even more expensive ones have a digital timer that is set with a rotating knob. Initially it increments in, say, 5 seconds, then in 10, 20, a minute, two minutes, and then five minutes, for example. And it's a long time since I've seen a door button, you just pull the door open.

It definitely seems like a more sensible user interface to me. And I imagine knobs are quite a bit more friendly for people with diminished vision, for example. You know that many clicks of the knob means that much time, and you can determine the wattage it's set to by touch.

If a second will make a difference, you should probably be cooking at a lower power setting.

* Maybe in the 90s? But they were the increment by X kind, each button by a different amount of time kind.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:27 am UTC

I think our microwave (in the UK) was a wedding present for my parents or something; it's at least 25 years old, anyway. It has:

Buttons for 10 minutes, 1 minutes, 10 seconds and 1 second. All of which can be pressed 9 times before going back round to zero, giving a maximum cooking time of 99:99.
Buttons for Defrost, High, Medium and Simmer. One of these must be chosen before you start entering a time.
Buttons for preset heatings: Casserole, Plated Meal and Pastry.
Buttons for Cancel, Clock and Start. ONce you've chosen a setting and a time you have to press Start to begin.
A big push button to open the door. Opening the door pauses the time countdown, but it's not cleared unless you press Cancel. You can press Start to resume where you left off.

The most unused buttons have to be Medium, Simmer, Casserole and Pastry. I mean, pretty much every microwavable food is cooked on the high setting, and who ever heats up Casseroles and Pastries? We do use the Plated Meal setting, though, and all four number buttons get used. I guess Defrost isn't used much either.

Mr. Heavy

Postby Mr. Heavy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:48 am UTC

1, 5, and 9 add up to 15. He's doing a magic square!

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:22 am UTC

Ewwww...this is like, totally raw. What did you do...cook it for 1:59 again:?
In all fairness...

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:42 am UTC

x86 wrote:Mine is even better. Rotating the knob, on each "notch" it increments by :10 up to 5:00 Minutes. Then it starts incrementing by :30, e.g. 5:00, 5:30, 6:00 etc.

Then, from 10:00 Minutes on, it increments in whole Minutes, e.g. 10:00, 11:00 etc.

Then from 30 Minutes on, it even increments in 5 Minute steps, e.g. 30:00, 35:00 etc. up to 95:00, which is maximum. If I turn it one more notch to the right, it starts with :10 again. The other way round, it also goes from 0:10 to 95:00 when just turning it one notch to the left immediately after selecting the power.

What on earth kind of food can you microwave for ten minutes, let alone 95? Or does your oven double as a glass-blower's furnace?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:06 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:What on earth kind of food can you microwave for ten minutes,

A large potato. (Though my microwave is a bit old and was only 800 watts when new... probably less now.)

let alone 95?

Um... a 10-pound bag of potatoes? Not sure they'd fit, though.

mishka

Postby mishka » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:38 am UTC

I prefer to cook things for 90 seconds instead of one minute thirty.

AdminSmithee

Postby AdminSmithee » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:57 am UTC

Shouldn't that be 119? since 2 minutes is 120 seconds? 159 is almost 2,5 minute which ruin will your food...

Or I'm missing something here? :?

dorkomatic

Postby dorkomatic » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:06 am UTC

FWIW, I've heard [citation needed] that the magnetron of a household microwave takes up to 6 seconds just to "warm up" and begin cooking. So any interval less than this is more or less useless.
(And entering 66 is probably the correct way to get a duration of 1 minute.)

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:48 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Um... a 10-pound bag of potatoes? Not sure they'd fit, though.

The one I have here has settings from 100W to 850W and the timer goes to one hour. 3600s on 100W is 360kJ. At 850W that's 423.5s or just over seven minutes. You can use longer time and lower power to cook things more evenly, in general. Also if you have a microwave/grill oven combination, for things like roasting a whole chicken.

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
davidhbrown wrote:I like entering "99" when I want about a minute and a half. Probably doesn't work on all microwaves, but it's a bit faster to type.

I use 99 all the time, or sometimes 90.

I also do this, and have never enountered a unit where it did not work. 6 isn't so neglected either, as I and many others will enter 60 instead of 1:00 (though I do that less with the advent of the one touch "add a minnute" buttons, which can start the unit at 1:00, but I have encountered units where that fails.) 7 and 8 are pretty much screwed.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

zombie_monkey wrote:The one I have here has settings from 100W to 850W and the timer goes to one hour. 3600s on 100W is 360kJ. At 850W that's 423.5s or just over seven minutes. You can use longer time and lower power to cook things more evenly, in general. Also if you have a microwave/grill oven combination, for things like roasting a whole chicken.

Is that 100W continuous, or does it use a 1/8.5 duty cycle? If it's continuous that's a cool feature, but if the latter then it's hardly different from hitting "Power 1" on most models, and barely different at all from "Power 12" on a few older models, both assuming 850W units.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:13 pm UTC

davidhbrown wrote:I like entering "99" when I want about a minute and a half. Probably doesn't work on all microwaves, but it's a bit faster to type. "888" sort of works as a very rough approximation for 10 minutes (good for reheating pizza on a convection setting). I admit I won't use "666".

If it can't be cooked by pushing 99 or 333, I don't want to eat it. :) Next trip to the store I'll look for something that calls for 7 minutes so I can use 666.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

This is especially a problem if you've cooked her nines.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:56 pm UTC

dorkomatic wrote:FWIW, I've heard [citation needed] that the magnetron of a household microwave takes up to 6 seconds just to "warm up" and begin cooking. So any interval less than this is more or less useless.
(And entering 66 is probably the correct way to get a duration of 1 minute.)

Watch the light in your microwave: It will usually dim visibly when the magnetron starts delivering current to the food. In mine, 6 seconds is about right, after pressing start. (You can also hear mine phase-in, both from the change in the fan speed and the sound of the humming.)

After all, the magnetron is a vacuum tube.

(For now anyway; earlier this year, Midea announced the first solid-state oven; so the magnetron is doomed for use in the smaller home ovens at least. According to them, the monster transformer goes away, too.)
In all fairness...

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

Yet another "99"-er here. Use it all the time. Also just "9" when I only want to briefly zap something.

Today's joke is invalid.

Kaden

Postby Kaden » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

Long time reader, first time poster, you know the drill. :wink:

I was surprised that no one mentioned this, so I had to comment. On my parents' old microwave, my dad would always hit all the center buttons to get 25:80 (25 min and 80 sec) regardless of what he was heating. Of course, he didn't leave the food in that long--unless it was coffee that he forgot about all day... *shudder*

As for my own microwave eccentricities, without a specific time to put in, I usually just punch in my current age. It's odd because every year since I turned 16 has been the perfect microwave time to heat a mug of milk, so I worry that some year I'm going to put it in for too long, which will not only ruin the milk but also signal that I'm getting old. :oops: Also, it drives me crazy if there is any time left on the microwave when it's done, so I am forever hitting the "Cancel" or "Clear" button, which my parents still tease me about.

EDIT: Typo.
Last edited by Kaden on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LoopinFool

Postby LoopinFool » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:07 pm UTC

1. Isn't it great that microwaves have so many user interfaces? :roll:
  2. On our idiot microwave at work, 1:59 would be the correct input for 2 minutes. It spends an entire second at 0:00 before it beeps and stops cooking!
- LoopinFool

evac156

Postby evac156 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

winampman wrote:6, 7, and 8 are fairly neglected too. You are not forgotten, 6, 7, and 8.

Because I'm lazy, I use 6 and 9 very frequently. I would rather hit "6-0-start" or "9-0-start" than "1-0-0-start" or "1-3-0-start". It saves me a keystroke every time, and I've never found a microwave that it didn't work on. If you want to trip people out, you can cook something for two minutes and 39 seconds, by hitting "1-9-9-start." It's a base-10 counter trying to cope with base-60, and not quite succeeding.

Did I say keystroke there? Meant button-press. My microwave does not have a keyboard.

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

hthall wrote:
Viking67 wrote:I've used :90 ever since I realized it was quicker than typing 1:30. I'm also intrigued by the fact that, on my microwave anyway, you can type illogical values like "1:90" and it just counts down from there (passing values like 1:64) to 1:59 and just keeps going like nothing ever happened. Here's to you, microwave. You're a champ.

Anyway, apparently I'm easily amused.

I always enter something like 1:87. The fact that the microwave cheerfully counts down from such a value without questioning or complaining is one of the ways it fails the Turing test.

But it passes the machine-that-does-what-I-tell-it-and-doesn't-make-me-conform-to-its-designers'-notions-of-what-I-should-want-to-do-with-it test. It fails the Turing test because people fail the other one.
-- Joe
Elim Garak

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:
RJFerret wrote:Just one spin of the dial for me regardless of duration, analog for the win!

Yes, and I'm amazed everyone in here has buttons. I can't remember when I last saw a microwave with buttons. Even the modern high-tech microwave at my parents' has a dial (with a digital display showing the time).

I don't remember the last time I saw one with a knob, but I remember which one it was, and it was a complete dinosaur. I didn't know anyone still makes them with knobs. How quaint.
-- Joe
Elim Garak

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

AdminSmithee wrote:Shouldn't that be 119? since 2 minutes is 120 seconds? 159 is almost 2,5 minute which ruin will your food...

Or I'm missing something here? :?

Press 1 and the display reads 0:01.
Press 5 and the display reads 0:15.
Press 9 and the display reads 1:59.

Got it?
-- Joe
Elim Garak

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

Showsni wrote:Buttons for 10 minutes, 1 minutes, 10 seconds and 1 second. All of which can be pressed 9 times before going back round to zero, giving a maximum cooking time of 99:99.

Personally, I find this sort intolerable. A 10 digit keypad works. A dial may be quaint, but it works* and I'll entertain that it could even be better. But these things that require a nearly arcane sequence of pushes to pile up the time you want are just horrible. An add-a-minute button is fine as an auxiliary method, but not as the only method. If my microwave broke and someone gave me one of these, I'd use for parts in my mad science lab and go buy a new microwave with in interface that makes sense.

As for the program buttons - frozen vegetable, baaked potato, popcorn, reheat dinner plate, etc. - I keep talking myself into giving them another try, and they never work. I heard a rumor once of a unit that used an audio pickup to know when to stop popcorn, which might work really well, but I never saw one.

* The dials on the dinosaurs usually broke off after one or two years so you'd have to put a screw driver or table knife in the little slot on the shaft to use it. And they'd alsways get grease and dirt in them and die. Compared to that, buttons were a huge improvement, but maybe the design and construction of the modern dial models have improved. I do grant that they were quicker and easier to set for the brief period between when they came out of the box and when they broke.
-- Joe
Elim Garak

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:30 am UTC

SomeGuyNamedDavid wrote:Now what can be put in the microwave to justify 99 minutes and 99 seconds, I wonder...?

A series of different things, in between which you are too lazy to re-program (or close) the microwave. ;)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 am UTC

Every time I look at this topic I get Coheed & Cambria's "Welcome Home" stuck in my head.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:Besides, 2:00 is an odd time--you have to find the 0 after hitting 2. going 1:59 has the numbers all in a row.

Actually they are in a diagonal line, which is different from either a row or column.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:32 pm UTC

BrianB wrote:
bmonk wrote:Besides, 2:00 is an odd time--you have to find the 0 after hitting 2. going 1:59 has the numbers all in a row.

Actually they are in a diagonal line, which is different from either a row or column.

You mean you don't rest your microwave on an inclined plane?

Oh wait, different joke.

What do you have against the locally-vertical orientation impaired? Don't be so orientationist!

Yes, this is aimed at all the "don't make [pc bullshit]-ist jokes" type responses.
mu

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:27 am UTC

Kaden wrote:Also, it drives me crazy if there is any time left on the microwave when it's done, so I am forever hitting the "Cancel" or "Clear" button, which my parents still tease me about.

Gee Willikers, me too! I'm always finding time left on the microwave whenever I'm at my parents' house, and it annoys me every time.

Also, about the dial thing, the microwave I had during college had a dial, and so far it's the only modern microwave I've seen with one (on a possibly unrelated note, it came from Costco). All the others I've seen have keypads. There were some ancient microwaves in some of Cal Poly's dining rooms that had two dials for power and time, though. I think they were rated at around 550 watts. :lol:
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:
Kaden wrote:Also, it drives me crazy if there is any time left on the microwave when it's done, so I am forever hitting the "Cancel" or "Clear" button, which my parents still tease me about.

Gee Willikers, me too! I'm always finding time left on the microwave whenever I'm at my parents' house, and it annoys me every time.

But it needn't drive one crazy if one takes the single second or so required to hit the clear button when one sees it. Then it's the mildest of annoyances, having to press the button at all, and one can walk away with and equally mild feeling of accomplishment. (And yes, this comes from extensive personal experience.)
-- Joe
Elim Garak

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
x86 wrote:Mine is even better. Rotating the knob, on each "notch" it increments by :10 up to 5:00 Minutes. Then it starts incrementing by :30, e.g. 5:00, 5:30, 6:00 etc.

Then, from 10:00 Minutes on, it increments in whole Minutes, e.g. 10:00, 11:00 etc.

Then from 30 Minutes on, it even increments in 5 Minute steps, e.g. 30:00, 35:00 etc. up to 95:00, which is maximum. If I turn it one more notch to the right, it starts with :10 again. The other way round, it also goes from 0:10 to 95:00 when just turning it one notch to the left immediately after selecting the power.

What on earth kind of food can you microwave for ten minutes, let alone 95?

Some calculations:

According to one website (http://www.csgnetwork.com/turkeydinnercalc.html) a 24-pound stuffed Thanksgiving turkey should take 7 hours to cook in a normal oven.

According to another website (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thanksgiving-turkey/AN01483) you should multiply by 1.5 for a frozen turkey, so that's 10.5 hours.

According to the back of a box of Stouffer's Pastaria Lasagna Casserole (http://knowyournoms.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/stouffers-pastaria-lasagna-cassarole/), a frozen dinner that takes 40 minutes in the oven takes 2.5 minutes in the microwave. So, divide time by 16 for microwave.

So, even a frozen 24-pound stuffed Thanksgiving turkey shouuld take under 40 minutes (approximately 39:23) in the microwave.

I couldn't think of anything that might take longer than that, can anybody else???

Oh, also, with my microwave, the buttons that get used by far the most besides "START" are the 8 and the 9, as well as the "+30 second" button. Reason? They are all adjacent at the bottom of the panel. 1:30 always rounds to "88".
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm UTC

http://www.ehow.com/how_2300167_microwave-turkey.html

just found this website that says a turkey should be cook for 9-10 minutes per pound at 50% power, even assuming you could do it half as long on 100% power, a 24 lb turkey would take 120 minutes.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 pm UTC

Wow, I seriously thought you couldn't actually microwave a whole turkey. I just got interneted! My bad...

EDIT: So, I guess on half power like they recommend, you put the 24-pound bird in for two hours, then rotate it halfway, then put it in for another two hours...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

they also say "Never attempt to microwave a turkey that is larger than twelve to fourteen pounds or that is too large for your microwave."
both of which would probably be violated by a 24lb monster. (i guess. not much practice with whole turkeys here in austria)

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

speising wrote:they also say "Never attempt to microwave a turkey that is larger than twelve to fourteen pounds or that is too large for your microwave."
both of which would probably be violated by a 24lb monster. (i guess. not much practice with whole turkeys here in austria)

a 40L microwave would be about 40 cm x 40 cm x 25 cm... 40 cm is about 16 inches. 25 cm is about 10 inches, apparently a 16 x 13 in baking dish can hold a 22-24 lb bird, therefore logically a 16 x 16 microwave can too, the only issue would be height,

Lenoxus

Postby Lenoxus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

I never thought I would feel such deep shame about my previously carefree life of pressing excess microwave buttons. Man, I thought I had figured out something cool when I realized that pressing the "add a minute" button four times is more efficient than pressing four-zero-zero-start, since the machine starts right away on the first press (I never even considered the movement-between-buttons aspect). I should have known there was a whole community of people who could make anyone else's microwave skills look unspeakably pathetic. By this time there's probably a whole twenty seconds I've wasted.

Tangential ranting: there's almost no good reason for the buttons to go BEEP at all, and it would be nice to turn off the standard "alarm" feature as well? The food is often too hot right away anyway, and what about when you don't want to wake someone up?

In any case, it's clear that the ideal microwave would have something like a QR reader which would scan the box the food came in, and a screen that would deliver instructions for you. Maybe a capacitive touch screen so you could have either buttons or a dial, your choice. Furthermore, the "1:95" thing is yet another good reason for everyone to switch to a decimal time system.

(Hmm, the current system's "1:30" would be entered as "1:04" in decimal, so most instructions would simplify it to 1:00, which would make everything undercooked by 3.6 seconds! Oh well.)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:34 pm UTC

I like the QR code reader idea and no beeps.

I'm interested, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
mu

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

Lenoxus wrote:In any case, it's clear that the ideal microwave would have something like a QR reader which would scan the box the food came in, and a screen that would deliver instructions for you.

I like the QR idea, too. That's really slick: Take the food out of the box and put it in, close the door, scan the box, press Start. No guessing how to adjust the time for your microwave; it should be possible to come up with a system that describes how the food needs to be cooked and the microwave could simply compute the time and power settings accordingly.
In all fairness...

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:19 am UTC

Similar thing I found: http://ahhha.brightidea.com/ct/ct_a_vie ... 6E3037EEFD

Not as smooth as the QR, which could be placed on the bottom of the little cooking trays most food comes with now.

You'd still need manual controls for reheating stuff in a tupperware container, though having a code on containers which tell you the maximum capacity of that container, with suggested times for things ranging from water to a frozen dish with less fluid in it, and an on screen slider to indicate how full the container looks.

I'd want one.
mu

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

The beeps provide additional feedback on whether/when the button has been pressed - some microwaves have a mute option, but most just give you the multi-sensory feedback (tactile, sonic and visual) whether you want it or not.

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Some calculations:

According to one website (http://www.csgnetwork.com/turkeydinnercalc.html) a 24-pound stuffed Thanksgiving turkey should take 7 hours to cook in a normal oven.

According to another website (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thanksgiving-turkey/AN01483) you should multiply by 1.5 for a frozen turkey, so that's 10.5 hours.

According to the back of a box of Stouffer's Pastaria Lasagna Casserole (http://knowyournoms.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/stouffers-pastaria-lasagna-cassarole/), a frozen dinner that takes 40 minutes in the oven takes 2.5 minutes in the microwave. So, divide time by 16 for microwave.

So, even a frozen 24-pound stuffed Thanksgiving turkey shouuld take under 40 minutes (approximately 39:23) in the microwave.

AvatarIII wrote:http://www.ehow.com/how_2300167_microwave-turkey.html

just found this website that says a turkey should be cook for 9-10 minutes per pound at 50% power, even assuming you could do it half as long on 100% power, a 24 lb turkey would take 120 minutes.

These calculations are not valid, which is why:
speising wrote:they also say "Never attempt to microwave a turkey that is larger than twelve to fourteen pounds or that is too large for your microwave," both of which would probably be violated by a 24lb monster.

is right.

In a conventional oven, the heat flowing into a stuffed turkey all enters at the surface and reaches the middle by conduction. In a microwave oven, the heat is generated inside the food, but only a short way inside, since the microwaves are absorbed by the food before penetrating very far. For relatively thin things like TV dinners, the penetration is deep enough to go through for all intents and purposes. But for a large bulky item like a turkey, heat has to reach the middle by conduction just like in a conventional oven. So the first calculation, scaling time by weight alone, is bogus.

The second one is closer; if a(n assumed reliable) source says 9-10 minutes per pound at half power then I can buy that up to a point. The time includes the time required for heat to be conducted all the way through, so halving the time by doubling the power is still wrong; you'd overcook the outside before that time is up. And if the weight is really large, it's plausible that you'd have the same problem even at half power. (Which is the same reason that a really big bird in a regular oven is usually done at a low temperature.)

So, if some other (assumed reliable) source says don't go over 12lb, I'd believe it. Maybe you could do it by reducing the power still further, but then it would take so long to cook that you might as well use the conventional oven. Which is as it should be when the time requirement is mainly driven by the thermal conduction rate.

You can trust that this is absolutely authoritative, because I'm some guy on the internet.
-- Joe
Elim Garak

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”