1106: "ADD"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

arthurd006_5

Re: 1106: "ADD"

Postby arthurd006_5 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:29 am UTC

meeshyscarver wrote:moving is really really bad for the consistency of my habits (which is already severely compromised).

Wish me luck.

I wish you luck with working out what's right for you, and coping with the consequences of doing that.

noema

Re: 1106: "ADD"

Postby noema » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:22 am UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
noema wrote:I have a little boy...

So one of the issues is: if medication changes your emotional range, then it will change your kid's idea of what a normal emotional range is.

I'm the child of a medicated schizophrenic and a don't-ask. It's taking a lot of unwinding, which seems to make my life better. It would have taken less unwinding if we'd had more relationships outside the family, for me to know that other people were different, but that was difficult because of everyone's built-in limitations.

If that parent hadn't been medicated, I'm fairly sure the results would be worse.

Yea I know. It's a bizarre, scary thing being a parent.
My mom isn't diagnosed, but I suspect she has something along the lines of BDP. That combined with growing up in an overly protective homeschool environment meant I had no idea how f***ed up my idea of normal was until I turned 18 and moved far far away.
Recovery has been a long process. (oh that sounds so wonderfully final...)

But anyway. I've been reading bits about ADD since seeing this comic. It is making me wonder. Would certainly explain a lot... but then again, maybe I'm over analyzing myself. Yet again, I've reached the netherland of uncertainty.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”