1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 am UTC

Alt text:"I would subscribe to a Twitter feed that supplied you with one reasonable sports opinion per day, like 'The Red Sox can't make the playoffs (championship games), but in last night's game their win seriously damaged the chances of the Yankees (longstanding rival team).'"
My brother mentions Cricket in the summer, but AFL is unfortunately a huge part of the year.

ThirstyMonkey

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby ThirstyMonkey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 am UTC

Baseball playoffs go into early November. I am disappoint. :(

I myself am currently in football mode as my Green Bay Packers are trying to return to championship form. My baseball meter is rising as the Milwaukee Brewers are making a late run at a wild card spot after most people left them for dead back in July.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 am UTC

I was doomed to eternal confusion when I found out that both football and basketball have "field goals."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 am UTC

I have trouble getting excited about sports too. The absolute worst part? It's now a soap opera with physical activity. Will Kobe get traded? What dirty secrets in Michael Vick involved in? Which supermodels was Jeter spotted with? Why should I give a fuck?

You see, with politics, there's the soap opera too. Except, unlike sports, it actually matters who wins or loses. It's not like, if the Giants beat the Patriots one more time, the Patriot Act is defeated.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:22 am UTC

ThirstyMonkey wrote:My baseball meter is rising as the Milwaukee Brewers are making a late run at a wild card spot after most people left them for dead back in July.

I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but no they aren't. :)

According to coolstandings.com, which compiles playoff percentages based on historical performances of teams trailing by the same number of games with the same number of games remaining (it is more complicated than that, because it also factors in strength of remaining schedule and other factors), the Brewers have just a 3 percent chance of making the playoffs. They are 4.5 games back with only 20 games to play, which is almost insurmountable in any circumstance, but the real deal-breaker is that there are four teams ahead of them for the second wild card spot, so they need four teams to collapse AND they need to be red-hot. Very unlikely.

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_s ... n=2012&i=1

CorruptUser wrote:Which supermodels was Jeter spotted with?

This is tabloid fodder. That's not the same as sports analysis or even watching the sport casually. If tabloids obsessing over celebrity gossip garbage is a reason to not care about sports, then it is also a reason to not watch television or movies. People magazine isn't the same as the movies starring the celebrities they obsess over anymore than it's the same as the sports teams and contests featuring the athletes.

You see, with politics, there's the soap opera too. Except, unlike sports, it actually matters who wins or loses. It's not like, if the Giants beat the Patriots one more time, the Patriot Act is defeated.

If you say so. I mean, the PATRIOT Act was approved overwhelmingly by both Democrats and Republicans in Congress, and has been defended and utilized by both a Republican and Democrat president. Personally, I think sports is a pretty apt metaphor for American politics, with blind allegiance to a brand for no rational reason other than it's just who you've always supported and you* want to be part of a winner.

Not "you" you, but, like, "everyone" you.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:35 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

gacorley

Postby gacorley » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:23 am UTC

Actually, a lot of non-US places talk about basketball and baseball, though I don't know if it gets as animated. Basketball is big in parts of Asia (I know China-HK-Taiwan all follow NBA, and I've heard it's big in the Phillipines as well), and baseball is of course big in the Carribean. Also, people in northern Mexico tend to be kind of into American football -- but then most of them are all rooting for the same team (Cowboys), so I don't know how many arguments occur.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:25 am UTC

I'm a little sad that hockey has no place on the chart. It's an international sport with literally hundreds of fans!

Kename Fin

Postby Kename Fin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:28 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:You see, with politics, there's the soap opera too. Except, unlike sports, it actually matters who wins or loses.

Ha ha ha ha - that made me spit my coffee on my desk!

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 am UTC

In before "I'm from [country that isn't the US] and I argue about [sport that isn't football (soccer)]".

But I think I'm already too late for that.

froggyrules

Postby froggyrules » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:36 am UTC

Canada cheat sheet:

Jan. Hockey
Feb. Hockey
March Hockey
April Hockey
May Hockey
June Hockey
July Hockey
August Hockey
Sept. Hockey
Oct. Hockey
Nov. Hockey
Dec. Hockey

Vangor

Postby Vangor » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:39 am UTC

froggyrules wrote:Canada cheat sheet:

Jan. Hockey
Dec. Hockey

Same for me (in...Florida). When hockey isn't on, like right now, I just bemoan the fact and then insult other sports whenever people bring them up.

DenverCoder9

Postby DenverCoder9 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:39 am UTC

So... who's going to make that twitter? I'd follow it.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:40 am UTC

It's not like, if the Giants beat the Patriots one more time, the Patriot Act is defeated.

Bring on the Giant Act.

I agree about Hockey, surely someone in the US is arguing about that.

And what of NASCAR?
j/k, brrm brrm car racing isn't a sport.
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Cdevon2

Postby Cdevon2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:41 am UTC

froggyrules wrote:Canada cheat sheet:

Jan. Hockey
Feb. Hockey
March Hockey
April Hockey
May Hockey
June Hockey
July Hockey
August Hockey
Sept. Hockey
Oct. Hockey
Nov. Hockey
Dec. Hockey

4th/5th Sunday in November: Canadian Football
The only 3 laws I need:
Moore's Law
Godwin's Law
Hofstadter's Law

karadoc

Postby karadoc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:51 am UTC

In Australia I don't hear much about either of those types of football; there is some round football stuff (soccer) but the majority of sport news is about AFL and cricket. ... So I don't think the "Non-US" column of the cheat sheet is very good. In fact, the cheat sheet could be interpreted as saying "US have diverse sports interests whereas the rest of the world is just one-track"; and such a statement could be seen as untrue and hurtful to some people...

:cry:

or not.

:?

Euler

Postby Euler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:52 am UTC

Canada:
February 16-24, curling.
"Six by nine. Forty two."
"That's it. That's all there is."
"I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe"

maafy6

Postby maafy6 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:59 am UTC

My version of this chart is just entirely baseball. Especially now that I can even enjoy being a Nationals fan.

Euler wrote:Canada:
February 16-24, curling.

Also in America every four years during the Winter Olympics. We do find it oddly fascinating.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:02 am UTC

Yes, I will bring this topic forward:

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:05 am UTC

Get Fuzzy settles the Canadian sports debate debate:

rb780nm

Postby rb780nm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:08 am UTC

1) In australia we have several types of football to argue over. And which one it is usually depends on a) What state you're in and b) What type of school you went to

2) The twitter service is like a web site described in an episode of the IT crowd, that gives "nerds" appropriate dialogue for sports conversations at the pub

eg "Did you see that ludicrous display last night?" and "Arsenal always try to walk it in"

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 am UTC

So, I made the twitter feed: https://twitter.com/XKCDSports
Sellyme is a je- Wait no.

Starry Sky

Postby Starry Sky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:10 am UTC

What are we talking about? Sports?

Did you guys see that ludicrous display night?

Indofunk

Postby Indofunk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:12 am UTC

Cricket.

KeithIrwin

Postby KeithIrwin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:24 am UTC

The non-US part doesn't really work well for quite a number of countries.

In Japan, it's far more likely to be baseball or sumo year-round. And the game with the round ball and the kicking isn't called "football" or "futbol" there. It's called "sakka". It's also called soccer in most of Austalia which is also just as likely (if not more so) to be arguing about Australian-Rules Football, Rugby, or Cricket. And, for the Indian subcontinent, the equivalent cheat-sheet would just say "Cricket" all year, not football. Soccer isn't an important sport in that part of the world. The British Isles also still have quite a number of cricket and rugby fans. And the points about Canada have already been made. Association Football may be the singular most popular game in the world, but that doesn't make it the most popular game in any given country.

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:27 am UTC

KeithIrwin wrote:The non-US part doesn't really work well for quite a number of countries.

In Japan, it's far more likely to be baseball or sumo year-round. And the game with the round ball and the kicking isn't called "football" or "futbol" there. It's called "sakka". It's also called soccer in most of Austalia which is also just as likely (if not more so) to be arguing about Australian-Rules Football, Rugby, or Cricket. And, for the Indian subcontinent, the equivalent cheat-sheet would just say "Cricket" all year, not football. Soccer isn't an important sport in that part of the world. The British Isles also still have quite a number of cricket and rugby fans. And the points about Canada have already been made. Association Football may be the singular most popular game in the world, but that doesn't make it the most popular game in any given country.

True, but it works almost perfectly for a majority of Europe. As an Australian I know that my cheatsheet would be AFL from March to September, Cricket for the rest of the year (unless you're one of those weird easterners who like Rugby League), but soccer is called "The World Game" for a reason.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:27 am UTC

sellyme wrote:So, I made the twitter feed: https://twitter.com/XKCDSports

Two criticisms:

1) All you've done is copy and paste what someone else wrote, so you've not really offered an opinion; and

2) This opinion is not a reasonable one anyway, as even though the Red Sox did defeat the Yankees tonight (or last night, depending on where you are as I type this), the Yankees still have a 75 percent of making the playoffs after the defeat, so this one game did not "seriously damage" the Yankees' postseason hopes.

KeithIrwin wrote:The non-US part doesn't really work well for quite a number of countries.

You *may* be guilty of taking the comic a bit too literally. Baseball also isn't the only sport in the U.S. people would be arguing about in June (the NBA playoffs would be going on), American Football isn't the only sport people would be arguing about in September, etc.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:28 am UTC

Reminds me of this (gets relevant at about 0:33).

mousewiz

Postby mousewiz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:33 am UTC

The fact that hockey isn't on the US list is a little sad.
The fact that either (a) Canada no longer exists, or (b) ~A V A is no longer true, is quite distressing.

ThirstyMonkey

Postby ThirstyMonkey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
ThirstyMonkey wrote:My baseball meter is rising as the Milwaukee Brewers are making a late run at a wild card spot after most people left them for dead back in July.

According to coolstandings.com, which compiles playoff percentages based on historical performances of teams trailing by the same number of games with the same number of games remaining (it is more complicated than that, because it also factors in strength of remaining schedule and other factors), the Brewers have just a 3 percent chance of making the playoffs. They are 4.5 games back with only 20 games to play, which is almost insurmountable in any circumstance, but the real deal-breaker is that there are four teams ahead of them for the second wild card spot, so they need four teams to collapse AND they need to be red-hot. Very unlikely.

Well as of just a few minutes ago, they're now only down 4 games (effectively 5 to the Cardinals due to the tie-breaking procedures, though a three way tie would give us a chance at a one or two game playoff). That has brought up our chances to 4.0 percent. And as much as baseball can focus at times on the numbers and fancy statistics, the old adage Anything can happen still rings true in hearts and minds of fans. The collapses of the Red Sox and the Braves last year are two of the five worst in baseball history.

dash

Postby dash » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:43 am UTC

And the benefit of faking interest and/or knowledge of team sports is ...?
If my wife were a D&D character she'd be all 10's

inopinatus

Postby inopinatus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 am UTC

My italian friends seem to argue more about the cycling than the football. But, hey, whatever confirms your prejudices.

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

Two criticisms:

1) All you've done is copy and paste what someone else wrote, so you've not really offered an opinion; and

2) This opinion is not a reasonable one anyway, as even though the Red Sox did defeat the Yankees tonight (or last night, depending on where you are as I type this), the Yankees still have a 75 percent of making the playoffs after the defeat, so this one game did not "seriously damage" the Yankees' postseason hopes.

That first tweet is just a reference to the comic. Original (and accurate) ones will come in the future.

ned3000

Postby ned3000 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:52 am UTC

Request for that twitter feed seconded, but it might do more harm than good. I once got into a conversation with a guy about the NBA and happened to know a few random things. I was actually talkin' sports for a couple of minutes, but then I said "The Lakers took a big hit when they lost Michael Jordan".

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 am UTC

ned3000 wrote:Request for that twitter feed seconded, but it might do more harm than good. I once got into a conversation with a guy about the NBA and happened to know a few random things. I was actually talkin' sports for a couple of minutes, but then I said "The Lakers took a big hit when they lost Michael Jordan".

I already made it: https://twitter.com/XKCDSports

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:58 am UTC

ThirstyMonkey wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:

Well as of just a few minutes ago, they're now only down 4 games (effectively 5 to the Cardinals due to the tie-breaking procedures, though a three way tie would give us a chance at a one or two game playoff). That has brought up our chances to 4.0 percent. And as much as baseball can focus at times on the numbers and fancy statistics, the old adage Anything can happen still rings true in hearts and minds of fans. The collapses of the Red Sox and the Braves last year are two of the five worst in baseball history.

Yeah but the difference between last year and this year is, the Rays and Cardinals only had to overtake one team. On Sept. 1, the Braves had an 8.5 game lead over the Cardinals for the NL wild card, but there were no other teams between the two, so St. Louis only needed one team to have a bad month, not four. Same situation in the AL - the Rays only had to overtake the Red Sox (or the Yankees, as two of the three were going to make it to the playoffs).

Anyway, good luck, but it would probably be an even more historic turnaround for the Brewers to make the postseason this year than it was for the Cardinals to make it last year.

EDIT: According to coolstandings.com, the Cards' playoff odds on this day last year were about 7 percent, and the Rays' odds were about 11 percent.

EDIT 2: The Cards' lowest playoff odds last year was at 2 percent on August 27. The Rays' lowest was 0.5 percent on Sept. 3. The Brewers' lowest this year has been less than 0.1 percent on August 25, and as recently as Sept. 6, less than a week ago, they were at 0.4 percent. This would be a quite historic turnaround if they somehow made it.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jpk

Postby jpk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:06 am UTC

DenverCoder9 wrote:So... who's going to make that twitter? I'd follow it.

Whats the matter, can't you make stuff up on your own?

Really, just make it up. Nobody who cares about this stuff is listening to anything you say anyway. It's called phatic communication.

VanI

Postby VanI » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:07 am UTC

Euler wrote:Canada:
February 16-24, curling.

Wait a minute, I thought the Scotties was in February; isn't the Brier in March?
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:09 am UTC

jpk wrote:
DenverCoder9 wrote:So... who's going to make that twitter? I'd follow it.

Whats the matter, can't you make stuff up on your own?

Really, just make it up. Nobody who cares about this stuff is listening to anything you say anyway. It's called phatic communication.

What about people who actually want to stay on top of sports, but don't have the time to do it?

ocean_soul

Postby ocean_soul » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 am UTC

I just read the comic and was coming to the fora to see if anyone had made one already :D. The next step: check if the Wikipedia section on live imitating xkcd is already updated...
Finite simple group of order two

You're the upper bound in the chains of my heart
You're my Axiom of Choice, you know it's true

by The Klein Four Group

karanj

Postby karanj » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 am UTC

karadoc wrote:In Australia I don't hear much about either of those types of football; there is some round football stuff (soccer) but the majority of sport news is about AFL and cricket...

Well, even that varies within Australia in a way that the US doesn't even come close to. In NSW/QLD you'll get something along the following timetable:

Jan: Cricket
Feb: Cricket
Mar: NRL and a little bit of European soccer finals
Apr: NRL
May: NRL
Jun: NRL
Jul: State of Origin
Aug: NRL
Sep: NRL
Oct: Um... so how about that NRL Grand Final huh
Nov: Cricket
Dec: Cricket

while in VIC/SA you'll get:
Jan: Cricket
Feb: AFL pre-season
Mar: AFL
Apr: AFL
May: AFL
Jun: AFL
Jul: AFL
Aug: AFL
Sep: AFL
Oct: Horse Racing and the AFL draft
Nov: Melbourne Cup/Cricket
Dec: Cricket

It's such a disjoint within the country, it's amazing.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”