1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby VectorZero » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:22 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:People are misunderstanding the concept of Cheat Sheet.

Randall isn't using it to start topics of discussion (that's what the Twitter feed would be for); he's using it to suss out what sport people are discussing.
Right. And if he used it in, say, Australia, he'd be wrong.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
SerMufasa
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm UTC
Location: Casterley Rock

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:24 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:People are misunderstanding the concept of Cheat Sheet.

Randall isn't using it to start topics of discussion (that's what the Twitter feed would be for); he's using it to suss out what sport people are discussing.
Right. And if he used it in, say, Australia, he'd be wrong.


What is the probability he'd be in Australia rather than somewhere else in the world?
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby VectorZero » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

Depends how awesome he wants to be.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:Also reminds me of this:

Image


classic PA. :lol:

password wrote:Randall, if you don't care about sports, embrace it! No need for a tweeter feed of fake sports opinions. (I heartily embrace my not-caring.)


Totally agree, if someone tries talking sport to me, I tell them I have no idea what they are on about.

Shoaler
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 9:24 am UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Shoaler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:29 pm UTC

It's a humorous statement about how the US and the rest of the world differ in sports, but an area chart for the US would be more interesting.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby VectorZero » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

I meant to add...
Pfhorrest wrote:And I will cut it short: it's called football because it's a ball game played on foot, not because your feet do something with the ball. The opposite of football isn't handball, it's polo, like on horseback. Therefore all games played on foot with some kind of ball are some variety of football, and none of them gets special priority on the name.
The etymology appears controversial, according to my many years of briefly studying wikipedia. Any sources?
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

inari1
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:40 am UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby inari1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
VectorZero wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:People are misunderstanding the concept of Cheat Sheet.

Randall isn't using it to start topics of discussion (that's what the Twitter feed would be for); he's using it to suss out what sport people are discussing.
Right. And if he used it in, say, Australia, he'd be wrong.


What is the probability he'd be in Australia rather than somewhere else in the world?

If he used it anywhere, at all, he'd be wrong. If the sheet removed the right hand side then it might serve the intended purpose.

There are 311 million people in the US, the other 6.6 billion people, described here as "not-US" don't really share an interest in any one pastime, well I guess we do all breathe.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby VectorZero » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

To be fair, the sheet is to be used in reference to "argument about a sport."

On the other hand, worldwide, most discussions of soccer are unlikely to be in English.
Last edited by VectorZero on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Plutarch
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:29 am UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Plutarch » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

This is completely accurate for Britain. I'm pleased to say! It's football talk all year round. Other sports might get a mention every now and then, and the Olympics made for an unusual and welcome diversion, but really the nation is football-obsessed. I suspect this is the same for a lot of Europe and South America. Tough if you don't like sport, I suppose. But good for me. I love football. I got through last year with a joint obsession with Skyrim and Arsenal.

And really, while Randal's comic is obviously not completely accurate in detail, given India's liking for cricket, South Africa's passion for Rugby etc, I think it gives a generally fair picture of the world. The whole place is largely obsessed with football (apart from the USA) and I could undoubtedly find people in every country who could give me a good conversation about Manchester United or Real Madrid. Football acts as a sort of worldwide Lingua Franca in a way no other sport does.

RandomMarius
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:40 am UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby RandomMarius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

It's just not cricket.

Reijer
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:24 am UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Reijer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
VectorZero wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:People are misunderstanding the concept of Cheat Sheet.

Randall isn't using it to start topics of discussion (that's what the Twitter feed would be for); he's using it to suss out what sport people are discussing.
Right. And if he used it in, say, Australia, he'd be wrong.


What is the probability he'd be in Australia rather than somewhere else in the world?


But it is still irrelevant for most of the world. Where he is doesn't matter it is a chart which does not reflect reality. I understand the humorous intent. I even understand that it was written this way as a sort of troll. We are doing exactly as he wants. At least I hope so. I know for a fact however that many Americans do see the world as US and NON-US (with canada being a sort unofficial 51'st state as long as you exclude quebec).

I'm not insulted, I'm pedantic. If anyone actually took this comic seriously then that is truly sad. However I would think the discussion on these minor and irrelevant details is part of the point.

User avatar
SerMufasa
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm UTC
Location: Casterley Rock

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

Reijer wrote:
But it is still irrelevant for most of the world.


I dispute that. It's definitely true for Central and South America. Ditto most of Europe. Africa I'm not sure on, but I don't know what other sports are discussed there.

Against that we have Australia, Canada (although football is popular there), and the Indian Subcontinent. China has a mixed variety of popular sports, and soccer is one of them.

While I don't have any firm data, I feel that "if a person is randomly dropped somewhere outside the US and encounters two or more people discussing sports, it is most likely the sport being discussed is football" is essentially true.

EDIT: Let me rephrase the last sentence. "The sport most likely to be discussed is football." It's not necessarily a majority, but I reckon it's a plurality.
Last edited by SerMufasa on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:I love football. I got through last year with a joint obsession with Skyrim and Arsenal.


at least you support a local-ish team (seeing as you're from London), I'm sick of the fact that all football fans that I know support teams from dozens to sometimes hundreds of miles away.

It doesn't help the there are slim pickings for football teams on the south coast, which is possibly part of the reason that football has never appealed to me.

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby mathmannix » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

Canadian sports:

Jan: Hockey season
Feb: Hockey season
Mar: Hockey season
Apr: Hockey season
May: Hockey post-season
Early June: Hockey Stanley Cup
Mid June-early August: Canadian Football season starts
Two weeks in mid-August ("summer"): Bass fishing, swimming, sailing
Late August - Sept: Hockey (pre-season exhibition)
Oct: Hockey season
Nov: Canadian Football championship (and deer hunting season)
Dec: Hockey season
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

chriszuma
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby chriszuma » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

Randall, if you don't care about sports, embrace it! No need for a tweeter feed of fake sports opinions. (I heartily embrace my not-caring.)

Totally agree, if someone tries talking sport to me, I tell them I have no idea what they are on about.


As it turns out, this is a great way to make people not want to talk to you.

User avatar
Bluewoods
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:28 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Bluewoods » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:34 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Canadian sports:

Jan: Hockey season
Feb: Hockey season
Mar: Hockey season
Apr: Hockey season
May: Hockey post-season
Early June: Hockey Stanley Cup
Mid June-early August: Canadian Football season starts
Two weeks in mid-August ("summer"): Bass fishing, swimming, sailing
Late August - Sept: Hockey (pre-season exhibition)
Oct: Hockey season
Nov: Canadian Football championship (and deer hunting season)
Dec: Hockey season


froggyrules wrote:Canada cheat sheet:

Jan. Hockey
[...]
Dec. Hockey


I was surprised not to see a column like this for Canada either. In Montreal, this cheat sheet is useless. If someone argues about sports, it's hockey. I never had to ask myself.

LtPowers
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby LtPowers » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Canadian sports:

Jan: Hockey season
Feb: Hockey season
Mar: Hockey season
Apr: Hockey season
May: Hockey post-season
Early June: Hockey Stanley Cup
Mid June-early August: Canadian Football season starts
Two weeks in mid-August ("summer"): Bass fishing, swimming, sailing
Late August - Sept: Hockey (pre-season exhibition)
Oct: Hockey season
Nov: Canadian Football championship (and deer hunting season)
Dec: Hockey season


You're forgetting the national summer sport of Canada. Hockey is only the national winter sport.


Powers &8^]

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2046
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm UTC

Carlomagno wrote:I'm a little sad that hockey has no place on the chart. It's an international sport with literally hundreds of fans!


And yet, in the Frozen North (Canada), it's less popular than Curling.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2046
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 pm UTC

dash wrote:And the benefit of faking interest and/or knowledge of team sports is ...?


If you're a female, the sports-addicted dumb male you've been making googly eyes at now thinks you're really hot.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2046
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:Yes, I will bring this topic forward:
Image

And I will cut it short: it's called football because it's a ball game played on foot, not because your feet do something with the ball.
Therefore all games played on foot with some kind of ball are some variety of football, and none of them gets special priority on the name..


Hmm, so what us USAians call "basketball" is actually football? ditto for "baseball" ?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby mathmannix » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

LtPowers wrote:You're forgetting the national summer sport of Canada. Hockey is only the national winter sport.


Okay, I was not previously familiar with this sport "Lacrosse" ... when does it fit in to the year?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

User avatar
jonadab
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:31 am UTC
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby jonadab » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 pm UTC

Living in central Ohio, I have come to the conclusion that it's just always football season, no matter what time of year it is. The three big popular sports here are college football (most important by far), high school football, and professional football. By the time all the sports fans finally stop talking about the bowl games, the high school team starts gearing up for summer practice.

Some years they take a break for about a week in March to talk about basketball, but I think that only happens if one of the local teams from this area is doing particularly well. Usually they just keep right on talking about whether OSU can beat Michigan next year and/or the various scandals (of which there is a new one every year, sometimes more; in the past year there have been two or three major ones -- "major" in this context means it involves a Big Ten team).

sellyme
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:24 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

password wrote:Randall, if you don't care about sports, embrace it! No need for a tweeter feed of fake sports opinions. (I heartily embrace my not-caring.)

The Twitter feed (at least, as given by the example in the alt-text, and what I'm going to be doing with the @XKCDSports feed) isn't just quotes you can regurgitate to look like you know what you're talking about, it's actually a quick, bite-sized feed of what sport-related thing people are liable to be talking about on any one day, for those who actually are interested, but just don't have the time (or effort) to keep up.

For instance, it's nice to know how the stock market is faring, even if you don't care enough to actively monitor it.
Sellyme is a je- Wait no.

jozwa
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:16 pm UTC
Location: Finland

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby jozwa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

That's how much Randy knows about sports and it's popularity internationally. Finland is rubbish at soccer. The most popular sport by far is ice hockey. F1 is also hot if you count motorsports.

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1264
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

This just in! Humorist engages in hyperbole! News at 11!

User avatar
jonadab
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:31 am UTC
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby jonadab » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

Totally agree, if someone tries talking sport to me, I tell them I have no idea what they are on about.


I've taken to saying, "Sorry, I don't really follow [name of random sport]." I make no attempt to name the same specific sport they were attempting to discuss with me. The way I figure it, if it doesn't match, they're that much more likely to actually believe I'm not a fan and stop trying to engage me in conversation about football (or whatever). Less conversation about sports makes me happier.

JimsMaher
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:52 pm UTC

Regurgitating memorized factoids?!
Is that really how you want to entertain yourself?

And are you nerds honestly still trying to fit in with the jocks?
I know sports fandom is a lot more about keeping track of statistics these days, but still ... NERDS!!!

User avatar
SerMufasa
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm UTC
Location: Casterley Rock

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:52 pm UTC

jonadab wrote:
I've taken to saying, "Sorry, I don't really follow [name of random sport]."


The XKCD-approved response is "Nah, I'm not really into Pokemon"
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Whatev
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 12:48 am UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Whatev » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:Yes, I will bring this topic forward:
Image

And I will cut it short: it's called football because it's a ball game played on foot, not because your feet do something with the ball.
Therefore all games played on foot with some kind of ball are some variety of football, and none of them gets special priority on the name..


Hmm, so what us USAians call "basketball" is actually football? ditto for "baseball" ?


No, it's called football because it USED to be primarily about kicking. The game changed, but the name didn't. Alas, there are lots of people out there who like to be snarky about things they don't actually know anything about.

JimsMaher
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

Whatev wrote:No, it's called football because it USED to be primarily about kicking. The game changed, but the name didn't. Alas, there are lots of people out there who like to be snarky about things they don't actually know anything about.


Alas, it shouldn't be called football. But the F in NFL stands for "Forget-about-it".
When a single stadium costs hundreds of millions USD, and there are 31 stadiums (NY,NY) ... I don't think they're going to change the name of the game without orders from Tebow himself.

jk ... Tebow would never do that.

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Get Fuzzy settles the Canadian sports debate debate:

Image


Mac Manc McManx was a City fan before they won the league in recent years.

Image

/"Up City".

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3059
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

Whatev wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:Yes, I will bring this topic forward:

And I will cut it short: it's called football because it's a ball game played on foot, not because your feet do something with the ball.
Therefore all games played on foot with some kind of ball are some variety of football, and none of them gets special priority on the name..


Hmm, so what us USAians call "basketball" is actually football? ditto for "baseball" ?


No, it's called football because it USED to be primarily about kicking. The game changed, but the name didn't. Alas, there are lots of people out there who like to be snarky about things they don't actually know anything about.


Is Wheelchair Rugby a type of football?
Is it a type of rugby?
Show your working.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Viqsi
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Viqsi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:55 pm UTC

jonadab wrote:Living in central Ohio, I have come to the conclusion that it's just always football season, no matter what time of year it is. The three big popular sports here are college football (most important by far), high school football, and professional football. By the time all the sports fans finally stop talking about the bowl games, the high school team starts gearing up for summer practice.

Some years they take a break for about a week in March to talk about basketball, but I think that only happens if one of the local teams from this area is doing particularly well. Usually they just keep right on talking about whether OSU can beat Michigan next year and/or the various scandals (of which there is a new one every year, sometimes more; in the past year there have been two or three major ones -- "major" in this context means it involves a Big Ten team).


To be fair, us hockey fans in the area start getting much more pushy around late November. Although by then the Jackets are usually out of the playoff race regardless... ...yet I remain convinced that if ever they get past the month of April in said playoffs, the city would take notice. (Hey, stop laughing; it could happen someday! ;) )

And the Crew get a lot more support than most MLS teams - heck, Crew Stadium is a favorite place for the USMNT because we generally kick ass and take names there. But, yeah, general sports fans around here hardly ever talk about them. Which is a shame, because they're the only team here that has actually won anything in the last decade.

Clippers? Who are they?
Last edited by Viqsi on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

forbiddenSpell
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby forbiddenSpell » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

Where's the joke?

Whatev
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 12:48 am UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Whatev » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

JimsMaher wrote:
Whatev wrote:No, it's called football because it USED to be primarily about kicking. The game changed, but the name didn't. Alas, there are lots of people out there who like to be snarky about things they don't actually know anything about.


Alas, it shouldn't be called football. But the F in NFL stands for "Forget-about-it".
When a single stadium costs hundreds of millions USD, and there are 31 stadiums (NY,NY) ... I don't think they're going to change the name of the game without orders from Tebow himself.

jk ... Tebow would never do that.


By the same token, the people who crew modern ships shouldn't be called sailors, but it takes a special kind of pedant to complain about it.

orthogon wrote:Is Wheelchair Rugby a type of football?
Is it a type of rugby?
Show your working.


Are you referring to "wheelchair rugby league" or "wheelchair rugby?" The former is a derivative of rugby league designed to accomodate the relevant disability, hence the name, the latter is neither rugby nor football and if I had to hazard a guess is named "rugby" because it involves smacking your wheelchairs into each other.

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

jpk wrote:
DenverCoder9 wrote:So... who's going to make that twitter? I'd follow it.


Whats the matter, can't you make stuff up on your own?

Really, just make it up. Nobody who cares about this stuff is listening to anything you say anyway. It's called phatic communication.


This is why I follow C1M as my sport. Single-manned canoe slalom. Speaking of which, Eichfeld did well in the nationals this week, made up for the disappointment in London 2012 (but at least Martikan didn't win the gold there).

Did I make that up? Is that all accurate? Is it somewhere in between? I know.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3059
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:54 pm UTC

Whatev wrote:
orthogon wrote:Is Wheelchair Rugby a type of football?
Is it a type of rugby?
Show your working.


Are you referring to "wheelchair rugby league" or "wheelchair rugby?" The former is a derivative of rugby league designed to accomodate the relevant disability, hence the name, the latter is neither rugby nor football and if I had to hazard a guess is named "rugby" because it involves smacking your wheelchairs into each other.


Aha, I was thinking of the latter, which I was lucky enough to see live at the London Paralympics last week. Thanks for tipping me off to Wheelchair Rugby League, which includes the crucial elements of an egg-shaped ball and no forward passing and therefore can sensibly be called "rugby".
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cream wobbly
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby cream wobbly » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

karadoc wrote:In Australia I don't hear much about either of those types of football; there is some round football stuff (soccer) but the majority of sport news is about AFL and cricket. ... So I don't think the "Non-US" column of the cheat sheet is very good. In fact, the cheat sheet could be interpreted as saying "US have diverse sports interests whereas the rest of the world is just one-track"; and such a statement could be seen as untrue and hurtful to some people...

:cry:

or not.

:?

He just wanted to say "Football (O)" next to "Football(0)". Of course, he forgets "Football (O)"[1], and "Football (0)"[2], as well as "Football (0)"[3]; plus a few others. The origin of the term "football" was to distinguish the sports played by the lower classes from racket sports and those on horseback; i.e., ball played on foot; not necessarily a sport where the ball is contacted by the foot.

But yes, the Commonwealth countries like cricket.

1. Gaelic
2. Rugby
3. Australian

the penman
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:05 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby the penman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:28 pm UTC

Whatev wrote:

Are you referring to "wheelchair rugby league" or "wheelchair rugby?" The former is a derivative of rugby league designed to accomodate the relevant disability, hence the name, the latter is neither rugby nor football and if I had to hazard a guess is named "rugby" because it involves smacking your wheelchairs into each other.



Or, alternatively, is called rugby because the primary mode of scoring involves negotiating your way into an end-zone while in possession of the ball? You know, like rugby*?






*First person to say "You mean like American Football" gets a sweetie and a slap on the head.

ShifterCat
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:43 am UTC

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby ShifterCat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

In Canada it's usually hockey. Occasionally the same three as the U.S. chart, but mostly hockey.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, hetas and 28 guests