1109: "Refrigerator"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RogueCynic

Re: 1109: "Refrigerator"

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

I work in the dairy department for a supermarket. This refrigerator would make my job easier. *Sigh* dare to dream I guess.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I work in the dairy department for a supermarket. This refrigerator would make my job easier. *Sigh* dare to dream I guess.

You need a refrigerator with a back door to put the stuff in. Then your customers are your garbage bin.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
San Fran Sam wrote:
CZeke wrote:I'm stunned that the Epitaph of Stevinus isn't an actual epitaph that starts out "There once was a man named Stevinus..."

Who thought that he was a gen-i-us

Using some rope
He hung weights on a slope
(Or it could be that Randall's deceivin' us)

Bravo sir! Well played.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:ETA: Oh, god, replicators. I would imagine that, to prevent horrible terrible accidents (possibly in the wake of the first horrible terrible accident) they possess an emergency cutoff, similar to a microwave's, that stops the machine if someone reaches into it before it's ready. Or else they just teach people not to and accept that occasionally someone gets their hand woodchippered, but that seems a little... brutal for the good ol' Feds.

I imagine the early versions of replicators or transporters had some kind of cabinet to enclose the affected area, and allow a better control of what entered and left and when. Then, once they had progressed to the open transporters--without even a target pad!--there would be some sort of training on the proper use of them. Just as there are training programs for the use of cars, guns, and other such things in our day. Not that the programs are all that rigorous or the users pay attention, mind you...
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Matthewmatician

Postby Matthewmatician » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 am UTC

The idea is great, but it could be set-up be one continuous belt rather than 3 discreet orders of magnitude.

The top conveyer should be the largest scale (i.e. 3m->1w), but rather than immediately dumping the contents into the waste after that period, they should drop to the next shelf (i.e. 1w->1d), which would move the opposite direction. That, in turn, would drop items on to the "3d->12h shelf" which then pushes them into the waste.

A soft flap of some kind over the waste bin would be good, if not an outright trash shoot. Also there should be SOME space (a top-top) shelf that doesn't move at all for things are usually not enclosed, like a cup of pudding you're enclosing.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:16 pm UTC

Matthewmatician wrote:The idea is great, but it could be set-up be one continuous belt rather than 3 discreet orders of magnitude.

The top conveyer should be the largest scale (i.e. 3m->1w), but rather than immediately dumping the contents into the waste after that period, they should drop to the next shelf (i.e. 1w->1d), which would move the opposite direction. That, in turn, would drop items on to the "3d->12h shelf" which then pushes them into the waste.

The problem I see is the "drop" part of the system. Food is messy, especially when dropped. Dropping it into the bin is not a big deal, because it all gets thrown out. Dropping it down to the next shelf would require re-engineering just about all containers to allow for this. That or figure out a "soft drop" method.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Matthewmatician wrote:The idea is great, but it could be set-up be one continuous belt rather than 3 discreet orders of magnitude. ....

The problem I see is the "drop" part of the system. Food is messy, especially when dropped. Dropping it into the bin is not a big deal, because it all gets thrown out. Dropping it down to the next shelf would require re-engineering just about all containers to allow for this. That or figure out a "soft drop" method.

I thought of a reasonably simple way to handle this, with some limitations, and then I thought "First world problem".

Trying to invent a complicated machine to throw away old food so we don't have to think about it.

The simpler approach is to buy less food. When you do not buy too much food, you will eat it instead of waste it.

If you don't want to think about how much food to buy, set a money budget for food. When you find yourself wasting food, cut the next week's budget. That doesn't take a whole lot of thinking.

If you don't want to think about your food budget when you buy food, each week get your food budget in cash and take the food cash envelope with you when you shop for food. When you run out of food money, stop buying food that week.

The food-disposal refrigerator is an engineering solution to a management problem. Possibly a better engineering solution might be an app that tracks your food budget and suggests recipes for each meal in the timespan you are shopping for, and then your cellphone tells you what you need to buy -- on the assumption that you have followed the recipes for previous meals and have the corresponding amounts of uncooked food left over now.

If your budget is large enough and you really don't want to think about it or spend time cooking, the program could recommend frozen meals that would meet your dietary requirements, and let it go at that. Yet another way to avoid the problem of food spoiling. Also if you never use your oven you don't have to clean it. You could even sell it and use the space it took for something else. Less technology getting in your way!

Also, if you only eat frozen food you can sell your refrigerator and buy a freezer. You can get a 3 to 7 cubic foot freezer for less than $200 and if you choose the right model it will be smaller than your refrigerator too. One advantage of not having a refrigerator is that when you keep ice cream in a real freezer it will be rock hard. So you will tend not to eat it on impulse. You can carve off just the amount you want to eat, and then wait for it to thaw some. Or you might find that you like to take the ice cream out to thaw when you first get home, and by dessert time just the right amount can be scraped off on all sides, and then you put the remaining solid brick back in the freezer for next time.

Perhaps there will be a market for freezers just large enough to hold a week's worth (or two weeks worth) of frozen meals. Then if you notice your freezer is not empty when you go food shopping, you can buy that much less next time.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

lorb

Postby lorb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:24 pm UTC

I think on page one we established milk as one of the biggest troublemakers and I do believe most people prefer to consume their cereals in non-frozen milk.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:15 am UTC

lorb wrote:I think on page one we established milk as one of the biggest troublemakers and I do believe most people prefer to consume their cereals in non-frozen milk.

If you don't mind milk that has been previously frozen, freeze single servings and thaw them when you want to.

Or you can buy the more-expensive milk that takes a very long time to go bad at room temperature before it has been opened.

Or learn to use something other than milk with your cereal, or eat something other than cereal. Lots of people don't need milk with their hot cereal -- oatmeal, farina, gruel, porridge, grits, sticky rice, polenta, cornmeal mush, cornmeal mash, etc.

Or if you use a lot of milk then just don't worry about it. Milk will keep 5 or 6 days at room temperature except in hot weather, unless you get careless and contaminate it when you open it. Avoid things like drinking from the bottle and you'll be fine. For hot days, if you have a little buttermilk on hand you can inoculate your milk with that and it will turn into healthy buttermilk rather than spoil. Or you could try kefir. Yogurt is better at a higher temperature. It's harder to get kumis starter cultures, but you might not need them. Just add sugar to the milk and `keep it sufficiently shaken, and the good alcohol-producing bugs will outcompete the bad ones.

But if you want to have a refrigerator, go right ahead. The only trick to it is don't buy food faster than you eat it. And that isn't hard if you either think a little or set up good habits.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

CZeke

Postby CZeke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:28 am UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:
orthogon wrote:
San Fran Sam wrote:
CZeke wrote:I'm stunned that the Epitaph of Stevinus isn't an actual epitaph that starts out "There once was a man named Stevinus..."

Using some rope

Bravo sir! Well played.

Agreed... but boy is that not the direction I was expecting it to go. Now we have to change "man" to "person" so it'll scan properly.
FiveMinute.net: Because stuff is long and life is short

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 am UTC

CZeke wrote:
San Fran Sam wrote:
orthogon wrote:
San Fran Sam wrote:

Using some rope

Bravo sir! Well played.

Agreed... but boy is that not the direction I was expecting it to go. Now we have to change "man" to "person" so it'll scan properly.

I thank you. I take your point though - it's /stɪˈvinəs/ not /ˈstivɪnəs/.

Taking your comments into account, I humbly offer this:

There once was a man named Stevinus
Who displayed an unusual keenness
For using a rope
To hang weights on a slope
(And in private, some say, on his ...)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

There once was a man named Stevinus
Who thought that this was a haiku.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

charonme

Postby charonme » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

in MY ideal fridge food doesn't go bad

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

charonme wrote:in MY ideal fridge food doesn't go bad

...Yes.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:There once was a man named Stevinus
Who thought that this was a haiku.

I like it. And can't resist.

Man named Stevinus
Played with weights on inclined plane
Meanwhile, milk went sour
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

WarnedOfStretchyDeath314

Postby WarnedOfStretchyDeath314 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:32 am UTC

wolftune wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:You bumped a comment because no one responded to it in 25 minutes? Really?

No, I bumped because nobody responded in 3 linear postings. Minutes are completely irrelevant. My intent was to disrupt the particular exchange going on. It's stupid that a couple folks having a back and forth discussion bury new posts in the middle of that. And in this setting, the longer I wait, the further deep and buried my post gets. Absolute time is really not the issue here. The issue is how less likely anyone is to read the unique and useful replies to the original topic because of annoying junk like this reply I'm now making to you. :roll:

YES.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”