1110:"Click and Drag"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The_Kraken
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:20 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby The_Kraken » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:31 am UTC

It goes 26 down. Anyone got how tall it is?

Halrandir
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Halrandir » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:35 am UTC

scottgoblue314 wrote:Also, has anyone identified top/bottom edges yet? If it's solid black or white I guess you couldn't tell by looking at it. I tried going straight up in the beginning but couldn't really tell you if I got anywhere, since I didn't count strokes going up and down. Some characters (to the left of the Mario world at the end of the tunnels) seem to be referencing stuff above (I did find a giant flying jellyfish there that scared the bejabbers out of me).


I've found a flock of birds, a woman surfing a 747...will update if I find more.

User avatar
Xan_The_Pyro
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Xan_The_Pyro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:36 am UTC

I'm lost somewhere in the caves to the left... hoping to make it to the surface before my flames die out...

Cecil
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:05 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Cecil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:36 am UTC

Randall I'm sorry for hammering your server.

I whipped up a quick python script to grab all the pngs with name [1-30][ns][1-50][ew] - only 6000 http requests and most of them are 404s anyway.

I'm also working some more python to merge them - shouldn't be too long.

So much for sleeping tonight.
More xkcd than your mom.

pipeorganic
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:39 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby pipeorganic » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 am UTC

Okay, colour me impressed.

The mario level isn't just any random level, it's a perfect replica of world 1-1 of the original Super Mario Bros.

Not only that, but he made sure to include the hidden block to the left of the first pit that's invisible unless you actually hit it.

panZ
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby panZ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 am UTC

The pits are not bottomless. I've been to both the left and right side ends of the top side. The right side has a very cute ending. The "bottomless" pit under the left hatch on the island (with the X-wing) eventually meets up with the pit under the Super Mario pipe shafts. There is a sarlac in there and lots of side branches to explore along the underworld route but there are many fun things to discover along the way.

I accelerated my track pad and used a dual 30" 2560x1600 monitor setup so my ability to click and drag across the UI space is huge but still, holy crap that was a time sync. Thank you!

P.S. The the "because its there" quote hit home. ;)

natetallman
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby natetallman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 am UTC

So help me, I wish he was counting the clicks in this picture (bonus for tracking everyone's movements throughout the map... world... thing).

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby glasnt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:46 am UTC

The 1110.js includes a comment near the bottom:

50:72:6f:50:75:6b:65:20:69:73:20:61:77:65:73:6f:6d:65

I wonder what it means..

User avatar
Icalasari
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Icalasari » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:46 am UTC

scottgoblue314 wrote:I went left, found the tunnels, made mental notes to explore then ones that I bypassed, and ended up climbing out to the Mario level and continued right to the edge. No idea what else is in the tunnels (I found the facebook bit, the Minecraft Creeper, a really sad looking guy in the farthest southeast with some trees, and then a Pyramid? Before going straight up). Part of me wants to find the tunnels again and try the rest, but most of me is scared of spending another half hour in there.

I can't shake the feeling that Randall has been working on this one for years, and that it might be some sort of grand finale...


I think he'd choose to end XKCD on a more significant number than this

...Also, Randall is insane

homsar
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby homsar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:47 am UTC

phlip wrote:According to the source, the full picture is 165888x79872 pixels in size. I'm working on downloading the whole thing and stitching it together/shrinking it down to get a overview of the whole thing... In the meantime, here's the left edge and the right edge.

[edit] For scale: judging based on the fact that most of the people seem to be around 30px tall, and guessing that to be about 6 feet, that would make the whole thing about 5km across, left to right.


Well, that dispels the usual critique of the huge comics – that they've only been made to generate poster revenue. Printed at 300ppi a poster of this one would be 14m x 7m, so would need the side of a large house to put it up on. And then the people would be around 1mm tall. Displaying it with visible people (aiming at 1cm tall) would need an aircraft hangar (and printing it at 300ppi would require a 1.3 terapixel image), and 250 rolls of plotter paper. That would cost around GB£1250 for the paper alone, take around 100 hours to print, and use around GB£17,000 worth of ink (although the source data is moving into shadier territory as that set of estimates goes on)

MithrandirAgain
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby MithrandirAgain » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 am UTC

glasnt wrote:The 1110.js includes a comment near the bottom:

50:72:6f:50:75:6b:65:20:69:73:20:61:77:65:73:6f:6d:65

I wonder what it means..


It's hex for 'ProPuke is awesome'.

GeorgesLaver
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:46 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby GeorgesLaver » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 am UTC

Found a rocket in the sky, a little to the right of the first panel you see. Thus begins my exploration of the sky ...

User avatar
Icalasari
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Icalasari » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 am UTC

homsar wrote:Well, that dispels the usual critique of the huge comics – that they've only been made to generate poster revenue. Printed at 300ppi a poster of this one would be 14m x 7m, so would need the side of a large house to put it up on. And then the people would be around 1mm tall. Displaying it with visible people (aiming at 1cm tall) would need an aircraft hangar (and printing it at 300ppi would require a 1.3 terapixel image), and 250 rolls of plotter paper. That would cost around GB£1250 for the paper alone, take around 100 hours to print, and use around GB£17,000 worth of ink (although the source data is moving into shadier territory as that set of estimates goes on)


Can we buy a mountain and get this comic engraved into it, then?

Bellerophon
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Bellerophon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 am UTC

Woo! Woman surfing on a 747 up in the air!

Man, the idea of all the stuff I might be missing in the air or ground is gonna bug me. Damn you, randall!

kleingordon
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby kleingordon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 am UTC

The ASCII hex Glasnt posted translates to "ProPuke is awesome"

Fuura
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Fuura » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:50 am UTC

It looks like Randall did hide some things in the sky. There is a hot-air balloon and fly whale almost directly above the starting point.

krabcat
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby krabcat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:50 am UTC

wow...just wow. i checked in because i noticed that it was after midnight and now it is quite a bit more after midnight. i almost never know what to expect but this is amazing. i think it might be too big to make a readable poster out of though :?

realglitch
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby realglitch » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:50 am UTC

Cecil wrote:Randall I'm sorry for hammering your server.

I whipped up a quick python script to grab all the pngs with name [1-30][ns][1-50][ew] - only 6000 http requests and most of them are 404s anyway.

I'm also working some more python to merge them - shouldn't be too long.

So much for sleeping tonight.

Seems a bit too late, but the js shows the bounds to be [14, 48, 25, 33] for N, E, S, and W, respectively.

User avatar
ardchoille
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:38 am UTC
Location: Seattle, WA. USA
Contact:

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby ardchoille » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 am UTC

I found the Super Mario world 1-1, the jellyfish and I'm still exploring.

Randall, I've been a fan of xkcd for years but this one is quite impressive. I would very much like to have the full image.. I think it's going to end up being a collector's item.

The words "thank you" just don't say enough about http://xkcd.com/1110/, you've outdone yourself here :D
Last edited by ardchoille on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

matman4190
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:50 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby matman4190 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 am UTC

I found a whale in the sky. Now to find the Petunias!

Eutychus
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 am UTC
Location: France

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Eutychus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 am UTC

With xkcd these days, one goes through weeks of relative drought, the occasional chuckle, frustration at some culture-bound or over-geeky joke you just don't get, and the nagging fear that the whole thing has jumped the shark.

Then every now and then, like an oasis in the desert, a cartoon comes along that's right up there with the best of the early ones.

This is one of them.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

fred84
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby fred84 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:53 am UTC

glasnt wrote:The 1110.js includes a comment near the bottom:

50:72:6f:50:75:6b:65:20:69:73:20:61:77:65:73:6f:6d:65

I wonder what it means..


using and Hex-to-ascii converter, comes out "ProPuke is awesome"

scottgoblue314
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby scottgoblue314 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 am UTC

Halrandir wrote:
scottgoblue314 wrote:Also, has anyone identified top/bottom edges yet? If it's solid black or white I guess you couldn't tell by looking at it. I tried going straight up in the beginning but couldn't really tell you if I got anywhere, since I didn't count strokes going up and down. Some characters (to the left of the Mario world at the end of the tunnels) seem to be referencing stuff above (I did find a giant flying jellyfish there that scared the bejabbers out of me).


I've found a flock of birds, a woman surfing a 747...will update if I find more.


Cool that there's even more than what I've seen already, but not cool that now I'll be obsessively searching again :( Thanks though!

Stagger
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:28 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Stagger » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:55 am UTC

Quick hint, zoom out as far as you can in your browser, and then drag about. I found:
- Nearly straight up and a bit to the left is Icarus
- Just to the right if him is a woman riding an passenger jet
- There's a massive network of tunnels that goes from the far right to the far left, hard to miss anything there is you look long enough
- There's another jet almost directly left of the top of the skyscraper, a bit below the top. It's quite a few screens away.
- As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the air above the skyscraper anywhere left or right.

Haven't found the whale yet :P

This is amazing. Long time reader, made an account to say I loved this.

Istaro
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Istaro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:57 am UTC

This is really not good for my tendonitis.

User avatar
Comrade Tiki
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:50 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Comrade Tiki » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 am UTC

I think I had a memory leak. I started scrolling left,

over the tower and across the seas
and onto the island and down the pit
and past the incom and through the tunnels
and up what appeared to be the mouth of a sarlacc,

but then Firefox froze as it was using 95% of my available 2GB memory.


I'm not sure if it was intentional, perhaps the author's metaphor of the fleeting nature of life given the size of world we are able to live on. However I'm not eager to explore any further after the solidity of my system freeze. That's kind of a lesson in itself, one life is enough to live.

StavroM
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby StavroM » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 am UTC

matman4190 wrote:I found a whale in the sky. Now to find the Petunias!


I also was hoping there would be a bowl of petunias!

StavroM
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby StavroM » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:59 am UTC

Thank you, Randall.

User avatar
pbnjstowell
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 am UTC
Location: Middle of Washington, USA

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby pbnjstowell » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:59 am UTC

My favorite was the lemonade stand.
And I think I found Tom Sawyer.
And a huge jellyfish in the sky. What?

Also... Trackpad burn!
Last edited by pbnjstowell on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

***
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:47 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby *** » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:02 am UTC

Have a test tomorrow. Went to xkcd for a quick laugh (study break). That was at least an hour ago.
Belief and Seeing: They're both often Wrong.

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby glasnt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:03 am UTC

MithrandirAgain wrote:
It's hex for 'ProPuke is awesome'.



kleingordon wrote:The ASCII hex Glasnt posted translates to "ProPuke is awesome"

References "Luke" who appears to be godly with JS. https://github.com/ProPuke

Taking a while stab in the dark that propuke helped/coded the JS for the Randallmiester.

MithrandirAgain
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby MithrandirAgain » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 am UTC

glasnt wrote:
MithrandirAgain wrote:
It's hex for 'ProPuke is awesome'.



kleingordon wrote:The ASCII hex Glasnt posted translates to "ProPuke is awesome"

References "Luke" who appears to be godly with JS. https://github.com/ProPuke

Taking a while stab in the dark that propuke helped/coded the JS for the Randallmiester.


I guess Luke used the source, huh?

:P

Cecil
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:05 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Cecil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:05 am UTC

realglitch wrote:
Cecil wrote:Randall I'm sorry for hammering your server.

I whipped up a quick python script to grab all the pngs with name [1-30][ns][1-50][ew] - only 6000 http requests and most of them are 404s anyway.

I'm also working some more python to merge them - shouldn't be too long.

So much for sleeping tonight.

Seems a bit too late, but the js shows the bounds to be [14, 48, 25, 33] for N, E, S, and W, respectively.


I did notice that, but I'm already almost done downloading - I figured it was better to cover a wide range that read the js for precise values.

I have something working, but apparently 165888 x 79872 is a big image. I might have to scale it down a bit for memory reasons.
More xkcd than your mom.

Eutychus
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 am UTC
Location: France

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Eutychus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:05 am UTC

Oh and Mario?

I'm sure part of that is a Lemmings level (that bit with a small, straight shaft).

//Get off my lawn
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim


User avatar
ardchoille
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:38 am UTC
Location: Seattle, WA. USA
Contact:

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby ardchoille » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:08 am UTC

Ok, I almost fell out of my chair when I encountered the X-Wing fighter. This comic is pure gold!

OhEidhin
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:03 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby OhEidhin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 am UTC

Anyone else find Red Leader?

User avatar
Icalasari
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Icalasari » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 am UTC

Cecil wrote:
realglitch wrote:
Cecil wrote:Randall I'm sorry for hammering your server.

I whipped up a quick python script to grab all the pngs with name [1-30][ns][1-50][ew] - only 6000 http requests and most of them are 404s anyway.

I'm also working some more python to merge them - shouldn't be too long.

So much for sleeping tonight.

Seems a bit too late, but the js shows the bounds to be [14, 48, 25, 33] for N, E, S, and W, respectively.


I did notice that, but I'm already almost done downloading - I figured it was better to cover a wide range that read the js for precise values.

I have something working, but apparently 165888 x 79872 is a big image. I might have to scale it down a bit for memory reasons.


Split it up into 16 separate images?

baralong
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby baralong » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 am UTC

Cecil wrote:
realglitch wrote:
Cecil wrote:Randall I'm sorry for hammering your server.

I whipped up a quick python script to grab all the pngs with name [1-30][ns][1-50][ew] - only 6000 http requests and most of them are 404s anyway.

I'm also working some more python to merge them - shouldn't be too long.

So much for sleeping tonight.

Seems a bit too late, but the js shows the bounds to be [14, 48, 25, 33] for N, E, S, and W, respectively.


I did notice that, but I'm already almost done downloading - I figured it was better to cover a wide range that read the js for precise values.

I have something working, but apparently 165888 x 79872 is a big image. I might have to scale it down a bit for memory reasons.

Any chance you could put all the images up as a torrent or something? It'll save me hitting the server too... it's creative commons so it should be ok

Cecil
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:05 am UTC

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Cecil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:10 am UTC

I've downloaded all the images - the true bounds are 13n, 19s, 33w and 48e inclusive. There are 225 images, all 2048x2048, for a total of 6.3MB of pngs.

Stitching now...
More xkcd than your mom.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests