1110:"Click and Drag"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roryorgan

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby roryorgan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 am UTC

zwestbrook wrote:
tape- wrote:
EoinC wrote:Bit of a negative thought

Has it dawned on anyone that this might be Randall's last (or second last) XKCD?

• It's comic 1110; and comic 1111 would be a pretty nice nerdy-number to go out on.
  • there are 4 images in there (quoted below) which are completely blank
  • the right most edge of the comic is a ref to the very first comic and the balloon floating guy seems to be looking for other adventures
  • and it does feel a bit like an artists Magnum Opus

Once I realized just how huge this was (about 1/8 of the way down the Super Mario Bros. warp zone pipe), I immediately thought of the final Calvin & Hobbes strip: "let's go exploring!"

And now all I can think about is whether or not XKCD is ending.

My thoughts exactly. <sigh> :cry:

http://images.wikia.com/candh/images/b/b3/Lets_go_exploring.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the end . . . or near the end. If so, it's an extremely poignant way to go. Fills you with a sort of majestically sorrowful gratitude.

xmrsmoothx

Postby xmrsmoothx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 am UTC

Were any of you guys reminded of Colour My Heart?
I LOVE having a signature. It makes my post that much bigger.

eleka

Postby eleka » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 am UTC

There's a giant lying (presumably) asleep on the grass. It's over to the left. The raptors are on its chest.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:38 am UTC

I like the velociraptor with feathers.

futaris

Postby futaris » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 am UTC

If this is the 2nd last comic, I'd just like to say So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Manabu

Postby Manabu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 am UTC

Gefrierbrand wrote:This one is so great!
I laughed at the "Stupid Free BSD" -Line! I love references to other XKCD Comics. But I haven't found a woodpecker yet....

That was hilarious. For who don't know, the comic referenced:

Spoiler:
http://xkcd.com/349/

FoxytheKid

Postby FoxytheKid » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:41 am UTC

Did anyone notice the x-fighter message about ground torrent is in reference to the BHG on the left side

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 am UTC

Comrade Tiki wrote:over the tower and across the seas
and onto the island and down the pit
and past the incom and through the tunnels
and up what appeared to be the mouth of a sarlacc,

I found the sarlacc and the graveyard to the left of it, and what appears to be tikki huts past that. What do those two things reference?

kitten1771

Postby kitten1771 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 am UTC

I think this one needs to be made into a poster so you can see the whole thing together :) ps my hand is tired from dragging !

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:54 am UTC

I've been transforming my favorite frames into wallpapers. I just have to choose which one to actually use.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

rolo91

Postby rolo91 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:56 am UTC

brenok wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
jpers36 wrote:
Marlayna wrote:1n36e ("don't go into the tall grass")?

Jurassic Park: The Lost World: The Film?

Pokemon. The "tall grass" is the first barrier to exploration in the game (once you get out onto the world map) - while in the tall grass, you get attacked by wild Pokemon. Until you get your first pokemon, and with it the ability to battle other pokemon, being attacked means you automatically get defeated (I believe you simply get teleported back to near where you entered the grass, but it's been a while since I saw the game being played).

As far as I remember, there's no grass in the first town, and there's someone in the entrance blocking you until you get your first pokémon.

If I recall correctly, In the original game, prof. oak stops you from going outside the starting town saying something like "it's unsafe to go there, wild pokemon live in tall grass".

I don't know if that's the reference, but it was what came to my mind when I saw that quote.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:12 am UTC

Yanno what would be neat? If each of us could create something cool to add to it. Like we could post an image of it and if enough people liked it, it gets added.

vonnegut

Postby vonnegut » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:21 am UTC

Registered just to express my astonishment at the best xkcd comic I have ever seen in years of reading them.

This is beyond incredible. I was lost down in the tunnels for a long long time this morning. I haven't even started looking in the sky yet. How amazing.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:35 am UTC

I have doubts that this is the near-last comic. Warnings of it seem a bit too Mayan Prophecy-ish to me. But if it was, it would be an amazing way to end.

But this work of art is truly amazing. Think of all the little stories and nuances contained within. All of the references (which I'm sad to say I can't get most of them). He really should update this with more memories (a flying ferret, a woodpecker, etc.).

But now Randall Munroe can claim himself a god in being the creator of his very own world.

And I, for one, will spend countless days exploring as an adventurer (and maybe using a bit of cartography to help guide my way), both now inside and outside the comic.

The world is amazing, both that in which we live and those, like that which lives inside of Randall, that we create.

(On a side note, since a poster seems too infeasible, I recommend a program/video-chain which randomly zooms around the entire world... a video series perhaps, except programmed to go places randomly instead of a repetitive order (of course targeting the actual content and not just mindlessly wandering the white space)).

It would be absolutely amazing to leave running as a video, or on a monitor. Or in the modern art section of your local museum.

Really, this thing is amazing

strat1227

Postby strat1227 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:I've been transforming my favorite frames into wallpapers. I just have to choose which one to actually use.

I'm enjoying these for my machine: http://i.imgur.com/mmVBO.png

Trasvi

Postby Trasvi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:42 am UTC

I see black hat guy in there twice (once with an AA gun and once with a cannon)

chewbakken

Postby chewbakken » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:43 am UTC

I actually don't think this is the last comic. However, what I am predicting is that Friday's comic will be a single panel, with something very introspective (much like this).

But if this is the end, then as countless people have said before:
Thank you Randall, for creating and giving us truly one of the greatest bodies of art there is.

bilkie

Postby bilkie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 am UTC

The "There's no pool?/Sigh..." could be a nod to the same wikipedia article that references the 124th floor observation deck (balcony) with a great view. Wikipedia notes that on Burj Khalifa "The sky lobbies on the 43rd and 76th floors will house swimming pools." The future tense implying that they don''t yet have pools.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:55 am UTC

strat1227 wrote: I'm enjoying these for my machine: http://i.imgur.com/mmVBO.png

I've made wallpapers for the trees in the caves, the breaching whale, the wind turbines, the woman and the radio telescope, the giant flying jellyfish, and I'm currently using the far right image.

They're all so beautiful. This comic fills me with a strange mixture of emotions, especially if this proves to be the penultimate comic.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

gauravmm

Stitched Output

Postby gauravmm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 am UTC

For those who still want it, you can get the entire panel at 1/4 scale ("stitched_512.png"), 1/16 scale ("stitched_128.png") or 1/64 scale ("stitched_32.png") here: https://github.com/gauravmm/XKCD-Click-Drag-Stitched/tree/master/Output

There are also stitches of a subset of the panel available.

Postby *** » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 am UTC

Catprog wrote:Well done.

I am wondering though if the bridge is the Sydney Harbor Bridge?

No. Thats either the Bourne or Sagamore Bridge in Massachusetts
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Cape_Cod_Bourne_Bridge_and_Railroad_Bridge.jpg
Last edited by *** on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Belief and Seeing: They're both often Wrong.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:00 am UTC

It is a truly amazing work. I've seen the entire surface now, edge-to-edge, but all those caves (...will take a while). And I have no idea how many balloons or airplanes or blasting rockets I haven't seen.

I did run into a glitch of some kind. I went all the way to the left, then scrolled back past the center and out toward the right. I followed some of the guy wires up toward that monster tower, then gave that up and went to the base of the tower and up. About 1/3 the way up, everything stopped rendering, and I couldn't see anything more up or right of that point, that I hadn't seen before. I'm guessing the app ran out of memory, but not sure. Or maybe it lost connection.
In all fairness...

Postby *** » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:01 am UTC

mcgaggen wrote:The farthest right: http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/1n48e.png is in reference to the first comic http://xkcd.com/1/

I also have no idea how to imbed a URL

He's not going to make a series out of this one. Is he? lol
(I hope not, this was such a time sink)

tspoon

Postby tspoon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:18 am UTC

The right hand edge is easily identifiable because you can pass it and enter a bit of white space that stops soon. The left hand edge, you do not know you hit if you are anywhere on the entire grid except for the very top pane, because it ends dead solid black against the wall, and you can't tell if you're scrolling or not.

The entire bottom edge, right edge, and left edge, except for right near the top, are flat and blank, don't waste your time. But there are lots of caves going on in the middle.

I edited the page source in Chrome Developer to make the "world frame" run full screen at 2560x1600 on my monitor - to get full frame without annoying scroll bars, I had to back off 20 pixels in each dimension. If you use the code below, and replace "2540" and "1580: with [your monitor dimensions - 20 pixels] you should be able to view it full screen too. Use chrome in "presentation mode." Note I had to replace the actual comic PNG with a transparent PNG, but it's in a public dropbox folder so you can all use it.

I didn't get into the script and fix the image caching for the new dimensions, so new frames don't pop up as you scroll until you get them well past the edge of the screen, but all things considered,I've got to say the 2540 x 1580 viewing/exploring experience kills the intended 740 x 694 frame.

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="devTools.css">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="DevTools.js"></script>
</head>
<body class="detached">
    <div id="toolbar">
        <div class="toolbar-item close-left"><button id="close-button-left"></button></div>
        <div id="toolbar-controls">
            <div class="toolbar-item"><button id="toolbar-dropdown-arrow" class="toolbar-label">&raquo;</button></div>
            <div class="toolbar-item hidden" id="search-results-matches"></div>
            <div class="toolbar-item toolbar-search-item"><input id="search" type="search" incremental results="0"><div id="search-toolbar-label" class="toolbar-label"></div></div>
            <div class="toolbar-item close-right"><button id="close-button-right"></button></div>
        </div>
    </div>
    <div id="main">
        <div id="main-panels" spellcheck="false"></div>
        <div id="main-status-bar" class="status-bar"><div id="anchored-status-bar-items"><div id="counters"><div id="error-warning-count" class="hidden"></div></div></div></div>
    </div>
    <div id="drawer"></div>
</body>
</html>

5tephe

Postby 5tephe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:19 am UTC

Randall Monroe, you are a genius and a madman.

How long did this take you? I love it, and you.

Just for the record: I explored it all by hand (all the surface, anyway) seeing every bit of tunnel and ground right up to each edge, before coming here to discover if there was anything I was missing in the air, or under the sea. Took about an hour. Amazing experience.

5tephe

Postby 5tephe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:22 am UTC

Oh, and one of my first reactions was:

"Brilliant! Now we have a Map to use in XKCD the tabletop Role Playing Game!"

noodle

Postby noodle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:33 am UTC

I was down so deep I was expecting to see a Balrog and Gandalf saying "You. Shall not. Pass".

Best. Comic. Ever.

Love it Randall.

FredK

Postby FredK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:34 am UTC

Hi all, registered to say i really loved this post and had a lot of fun stitching it back together.

I put together a full resolution optimized png, its very big, so if your computer is slow i'd be careful trying to open it.

I'm not allowed to link since i just registered, so hopefully its ok to just say search xkcd 1110 on the pirate bay and you should find my results.

Maybe if one of you long time members can verify I'm not spamming you can re-post an actual link for me.

Again, love the comic, long time reader.

~FredK

FredK

Postby FredK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 am UTC

And I guess to elaborate, it's big dimensionally, not really in file size.

And by put together, I mean I rebuilt the image from the tiles programatically and then heavily optimized the png in a lossless way with some misc tools.

~FredK

MathUhhhSaurus

Postby MathUhhhSaurus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:56 am UTC

Randall is evil! I have an exam tomorrow and this picture is endless!

paxxy

Postby paxxy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 am UTC

The two people on the left side saying that it was only two miles since they begun made me want to know the real life dimentions of this world. So given that we know the length of an x-wing (http://what-if.xkcd.com/3/) is 12.5m, I set out to use cecils image to measure some features.

From left to right is only 8.8kms
From the start to the left edge is 3.6 kms (just a little over 2 miles!)
The tower is 777m tall

Now I just realised it is the exact same shape as the burj Dubai which is 800m. Given the small size of the x-wing I'm re doing the measurements based on the tower, which should be more acurate.

The start to the left side is 3.6kms or 2.2 miles
Total from left to right is 8.9kms
Deepest pit is 2.0kms
Rocket is 106m
Whales in the sky are 30m, which makes them bluewhales because they are the only ones that get this big.
The only thing that doesn't seem accurate is that the plane is only 220m off the ground and doesn't seem to be taking off or landing.
Last edited by paxxy on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tova

Postby Tova » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:16 am UTC

Comics like this one are the reason I keep reading xkcd.

Bo Lindbergh

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:18 am UTC

HTML 3.2 version (click to zoom): http://www.stacken.kth.se/~blgl/1110/

kamitchell

Postby kamitchell » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:37 am UTC

roryorgan wrote:
zwestbrook wrote:
tape- wrote:
EoinC wrote:Bit of a negative thought

Has it dawned on anyone that this might be Randall's last (or second last) XKCD?

• It's comic 1110; and comic 1111 would be a pretty nice nerdy-number to go out on.
  • there are 4 images in there (quoted below) which are completely blank
  • the right most edge of the comic is a ref to the very first comic and the balloon floating guy seems to be looking for other adventures
  • and it does feel a bit like an artists Magnum Opus

Once I realized just how huge this was (about 1/8 of the way down the Super Mario Bros. warp zone pipe), I immediately thought of the final Calvin & Hobbes strip: "let's go exploring!"

And now all I can think about is whether or not XKCD is ending.

My thoughts exactly. <sigh> :cry:

http://images.wikia.com/candh/images/b/b3/Lets_go_exploring.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the end . . . or near the end. If so, it's an extremely poignant way to go. Fills you with a sort of majestically sorrowful gratitude.

Finnegan's Wake, the last book James Joyce wrote, is also cyclic. The last sentence is incomplete, but is completed by the sentence fragment at the start of the book.

That's the point where I thought that this was the last XKCD.

Given this theory, it's not an ending, it's a cycle.

Postby *** » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:48 am UTC

On how this might be his last comic:

The guy isnt even 30 yet. This is his job. Why would he be retiring?
    The "go out and explore the world" message is pretty common in the series.
    Randy does some obsessive things like this every once in a while (i.e. money chart, gravity well, etc.).
    Its fun to blow people's minds sometimes.
    He would't go out this abruptly. The previous comic was talking about fridges. He's not going to finish 2 comics after that.
    He's going to have something to say first.

Although this is still the most epic thing hes done

whereswalden90

Postby whereswalden90 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 am UTC

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a google maps-esque version with zoom buttons and all. It even loads quickly!
http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/#10
Missing LaTeX functionality? This handy site renders equations and creates permalinks for them!
You, sir, name? wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:How about the entire movie 10,000 BC?

Yeah. I facepalmed at a rate of 30 Hz. It interfered with the TV.

Rory

Postby Rory » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 am UTC

whereswalden90 wrote:I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a google maps-esque version with zoom buttons and all. It even loads quickly!
http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/#10

Better version of the link: http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/. That link, without the “#10”, shows the first three panels of the comic when you first load it.

It would be great if that map also had a layer of annotations, wiki-editable. It would be a list and map of every “place of interest” on the map, such as “Mario level 1-1”, “lemonade seller”, “guy sitting and thinking”, “space whales”, etc. You would be able to enable an “interest-search” scrolling mode, where scrolling in a direction would take you to the closest place of interest in that direction, allowing you to skip long boring tunnels and plains. But probably anyone who would want to do such a thing has already found everything in the whole map and is too sick of it to mark everything up again.

Edit: http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=1110 has a decently comprehensive list of interesting things. It’s organized usefully for reference, but not for exploration. It might work to just have the “layer of annotations” on the map read that article’s list. Then again, maybe having a layer of annotations ignores the point of the comic too much.
Last edited by Rory on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:28 am UTC

I happily learned that it saves your place if you accidentally hit the first/back/random/next/last buttons while scrolling...

I assume this was posted a few pages back, but I found it on the spacebattles thread referencing this: http://sumamimasen.com/xkcd/1110/

Use the arrow keys, hold shift for supahspeed.
mu

Lazy Tommy

Postby Lazy Tommy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:While I agree completely that the point of this map is having to scroll around and explore, click-and-drag is the most painfully awful way to scroll ever.

Indeed. My tendons started acting up within minutes.

Exploring it on an iPhone works great, though, and I'm guessing on other touchscreen devices, too.

macpuppy

Postby macpuppy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:41 am UTC

Long time reader, first time poster.

I just had to add to many comments on this 'Comic'.

A truly epic episode and a great way to start the day. If you read this Randall, thank you for this and the many, many great stories and jokes along the way.

I hope that the 'last comic' theories are wrong.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”