1110:"Click and Drag"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

frotz

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby frotz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 am UTC

Nobody seems to have mentioned this yet, but I think this comic would have been an excellent place for Yendred or other denizens of AK Dewdney's "Planiverse" to show up. Note: I haven't fully scoured the comic to see if Randall did it or not.

ChrisTilley

Postby ChrisTilley » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:00 am UTC

My fear/hope is that he will add stuff to some of the blank areas and wait to see if we notice.

I don't believe he is quitting. Not after starting the 'What ifs"

mgmfa

Postby mgmfa » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:03 am UTC

Another long time reader but first time poster. Amazing. Wow. Also, the people who compiled it are amazing for us to view as a whole, thanks a lot. We need to make this some sort of rpg, though I don't have the programming experience to do this at all.

mormonfries

Postby mormonfries » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am UTC

I really hope the guy and the girl sitting in their respective tree-caves visit each other every once in a while. they look awfully lonely.

Claveluza

Postby Claveluza » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:00 am UTC

Randall, you win at life.
This is amazing, and mad fun, and I love everything about it. Thank you for sharing with us your creativity and sense of humor.
The world is indeed sad and wonderful and incredibly big, but there's inmense joy in trying to explore it, with its consequences and surprises. You nailed that sentiment.
Also, jellyfish ftw.

(As many others, I've read for years, but I only registered today to say how mindblowed I am by this comic, and even though this is not the first time that XKCD has mindblowed me, this time, today, now, it hits right into my heart... and carpal tunel).

J L

Postby J L » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:36 am UTC

I'm pretty confident this week will be remembered as "the comic that was so good all readers assumed the series was over". The comic to end all comics, so to speak. But there must be a way for Randall to do one truly great strip and still go on after that.

While of course he might end his regular installments some day (and this would be a nice way to do it), it's fascinating to see how people, in the face of an invisible, unpredictable force able to end the world it created and they inhabit (here: Randall), engage in the sport of exegesis.

But although tomorrow might prove me wrong, I for one prefer to stay optimistic when the "the end is nigh"-signs are popping up :)

ambystoma

Postby ambystoma » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:47 am UTC

Thank you Randall, for an amazing comic! Thank you to everyone that figured out easier ways to scroll around. I wish I had more time to explore, but at least I'm reminded of how sad, wonderful, and big our world is!

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 am UTC

Even the Explain XKCD wiki hasn't found Waldo yet. Either that or they're keeping his location a closely-guarded secret.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

diskoerekto

Postby diskoerekto » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 am UTC

Hi Mr Munroe,

You didn't become great by trying to be great. You became great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you became great in the process.

Just wanted to applaud you with your own words. One does not get how huge the world is. Click and drag is like flying with a jetpack, and exploring only a 10 km wide piece of world (the one in 1110) took hours. The comic was a great way of telling that. Imagine how much it would take to explore the huuuge world we are living in. One does not grasp that easily, and the comic showed that to me among other things.

The internet is huge too. You probably have numbers at your hand telling you how many people visited your comics. On the other hand, I am not sure if you understand how big changes you cause in lives of those people. Some just click on a link, see a joke and laugh. Some subscribe to RSS feed and wait for the comics. Among all those people, some gets affected a little, some gets a lot. I want you to take a minute and try to imagine the total change you caused at lives of people. When added up, that is huge. I nearly burst into tears when the Mars Rover wanted to be a good Rover to return home. I became fascinated by Euler and I was confused when my normal approach of a Laplace transformation didn't work on matters of heartache. I laughed to the boom-de-yada song of Discovery Channel with changed lyrics. I found the notion of spinning counter clockwise on the ground just to make the night a little longer very touching and did it myself once. A friend of me once told to me that what counts in life was the moments you felt something. Moments you experienced with rage, love, fascination, happiness etc all counted to "what you have lived" and all the other moments were fillers. You made me live a lot and it only costed me a few clicks every week. Mr Munroe, I have never seen you in person and you have never known me but I can say you were a very good friend to me.

I wish we knew each other in person and be friends since childhood. It would make me proud to be a lifelong friend of a great person. It still makes me somewhat proud that I am one of the readers. I remember the first comics again and it was a lone boy wanting to understand the world and express himself. Then you did those so hard that you became great in the process.

Thanks for this great masterwork, the 1109 comics before this and more others to come throughout you life.

Cheers,
Emrah

diskoerekto

Postby diskoerekto » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:39 am UTC

Sorry, double post
Last edited by diskoerekto on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ldsheinz

Postby ldsheinz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:41 am UTC

BHG is playing scorched earth against himself if no one has said it yet....

k_sze

Postby k_sze » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 am UTC

ChrisTilley wrote:My fear/hope is that he will add stuff to some of the blank areas and wait to see if we notice.

I don't believe he is quitting. Not after starting the 'What ifs"

"What if Randall ..."

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:35 am UTC

eleka wrote:There's a giant lying (presumably) asleep on the grass. It's over to the left. The raptors are on its chest.

so, you are thinking Ender's Game reference? could be. not sure. it does look a bit like it, i wonder if it's coincidental.

VanI

Postby VanI » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
VanI wrote:
Catprog wrote:Well done.

I am wondering though if the bridge is the Sydney Harbor Bridge?

That was exactly my thought, although I don't remember there being a guy manning a canon at the end of the real Sydney Harbor Bridge.

Wonder how many **rounds** that "cannon" [anti-sic] could fire.
And, yes, I love crappy puns.

I call bull. (Will anyone get it?)
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

>-)

Postby >-) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 am UTC

I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask this, but if i wanted to make a click and drag window thingy for other large images of some sort, how could it be done?

das7002

Postby das7002 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 am UTC

>-) wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask this, but if i wanted to make a click and drag window thingy for other large images of some sort, how could it be done?

http://leaflet.cloudmade.com/

radon-nikodyn

"Click and Drag"

Postby radon-nikodyn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:15 am UTC

Very impressive. But also very frustrating interface. It would be much better, were someone to make a version, where the whole thing can be be panned smoothly by keyboard and-or-or by mouse-scrolling-motions. Anyone able to code that up?

Once more, very impressed by the picture/world itself. (I wonder, if cross-sections along (arbitrary) geodesics of the Earth could be in the same fashion made…)

das7002

Re: "Click and Drag"

Postby das7002 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:22 am UTC

radon-nikodyn wrote:Very impressive. But also very frustrating interface. It would be much better, were someone to make a version, where the whole thing can be be panned smoothly by keyboard and-or-or by mouse-scrolling-motions. Anyone able to code that up?

Once more, very impressed by the picture/world itself. (I wonder, if cross-sections along (arbitrary) geodesics of the Earth could be in the same fashion made…)

From page 5

tjohnman wrote:For those of you who want to explore it as intended but don't want to risk serious wrist damage, I made a flash explorer that works with the arrow keys.

http://sumamimasen.com/xkcd/1110/

I think I did not break any license rules. If I did please tell me so I can correct my mistake.

Someone also linked it on page 10

VanI

Postby VanI » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:30 am UTC

Does anyone know what that is down at the bottom left of http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/17s1e.png?
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 am UTC

VanI wrote:Does anyone know what that is down at the bottom left of http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/17s1e.png?

The bit where some sort of fish/dolphin is jumping out of water?
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

thalia

Postby thalia » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:49 am UTC

This has got to be the greatest thing I have ever encountered on the internet.
One of these days.

juststrange

Postby juststrange » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 am UTC

Randall,
This thing is beautiful. I haven't looked at the fully compiled images yet, because I don't want to ruin the experience of seeing the world unfold. This will probably very nearly get me fired from work, and crash my IE window (I know, IE is the devil, but they make us use it). I just sat here awestruck as I scrolled, view by view, knowing I was missing 10X more than I was seeing. Its like life. Its a metaphor and an analogy and a discussion piece and so many other wonderful things. It works on more levels than I can count. It makes me feel the way the world does - very very small.

This comic is truely Art.

redwalker

Postby redwalker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm UTC

This was the best yet, I really loved exploring it, but the highlight for me was finding the silhouette of the Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Hill_Meteorological_Observatory, (on the top of the mountain).

The Observatory is in my childhood home town of Milton, MA, I could see it’s tower lights blinking at night from my bedroom window and have hiked around it hundreds of times, and been in it on a few occasions, once getting to go out on the tower balcony (where the woman is standing).

I haven’t been back there for over 20 years, or even recall thinking about it since moving from the area, but I instantly recognized it, in a flood of joy and childhood memories, seeing the Frankenstein castle on the Hill once again.

Thank you Randall.
Last edited by redwalker on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vanzetti

Postby Vanzetti » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm UTC

Way to overreact, people.

This is a good comic, but declaring it the best thing ever? Seriously, do you think Randall is the first artist ever to paint a big picture with lots of small details? :roll: Come on, Subnormality does it routinely.

You should increase the diversity of your art intake (i.e, not just webcomics) and stop taking things out of proportion.
Last edited by Vanzetti on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lode

Postby Lode » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

J L wrote:I'm pretty confident this week will be remembered as "the comic that was so good all readers assumed the series was over". The comic to end all comics, so to speak. But there must be a way for Randall to do one truly great strip and still go on after that.

I hope we reach at least comic number 1337!

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

WhiteDragon wrote:"I wonder where I'll float next" :-) http://xkcd.com/1/

Oh superb. Nice spot! :D

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

Vanzetti wrote:Way to overreact, people.

This is a good comic, but declaring it the best thing ever? Seriously, do you think Randall is the first artist ever to paint a big picture with lots of small details? :roll: Come on, Subnormality does it routinely.

You should increase the diversity of your art intake (i.e, not just webcomics) and stop taking things out of proportion.

This may be the most snobbish thing I've ever read on these forums. People are free to think highly of whatever pieces of art they wish, you are not the only person who can decide what is great art.

I also haven't seen anyone declare it the best piece of art ever, though people are entitled to that opinion if they hold it. Your hyperbole only makes you seem more snobbish.

Vanzetti

Postby Vanzetti » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:55 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:This may be the most snobbish thing I've ever read on these forums.

Now you are proving my point by overreacting again. :lol:

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:06 pm UTC

Very nice :)

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

Near the boat that is a reference to The Lonely Island, the birds are from a little game called Bow man, I believe. :)
Everybody is doing it and nobody knows why.

annie1931

Postby annie1931 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

It took me two long periods a day apart - I am totally gobsmacked! Joined up to tell you that.
Now back to putting icepacks on both my wrists.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm UTC

Has anyone looked at the shape of the land for hidden objects? I know someone mentioned a giant near the velociraptors. I saw what might be a profile of Mario to the right of the whale jumping out of the water (the very right edge of 1n20e, or maybe the left edge of 1n21e), though obviously you have to hold your face just right to see it. Anyone else see any hidden shapes in the lay of the land?

I'm Designer

Postby I'm Designer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:56 pm UTC

sleepingbear wrote:Another long time reader/first time poster.

Most epic web comic ever.

Thanks for helping me get through 5 hours of CBT safety training today.

Giggity...

weiwong

Postby weiwong » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

FredK wrote:I put together a full resolution optimized png, its very big, so if your computer is slow i'd be careful trying to open it.

I'm not allowed to link since i just registered, so hopefully its ok to just say search xkcd 1110 on the pirate bay and you should find my results.

Was looking for this version, thanks for the great work! I was able to open it in Photoshop (after much delay) even though my laptop has "only" 8GB of RAM. It's nice to look around with Photoshop's navigator too...

najodleglejszy

Postby najodleglejszy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

brenok wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
jpers36 wrote:
Marlayna wrote:1n36e ("don't go into the tall grass")?

Jurassic Park: The Lost World: The Film?

Pokemon. The "tall grass" is the first barrier to exploration in the game (once you get out onto the world map) - while in the tall grass, you get attacked by wild Pokemon. Until you get your first pokemon, and with it the ability to battle other pokemon, being attacked means you automatically get defeated (I believe you simply get teleported back to near where you entered the grass, but it's been a while since I saw the game being played).

As far as I remember, there's no grass in the first town, and there's someone in the entrance blocking you until you get your first pokémon.

it depends on the version of the game. in some of them you had actually stepped inside the tall grass before professor stopped you.

Felis cattus diabolicus

Postby Felis cattus diabolicus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

radon-nikodyn wrote:Once more, very impressed by the picture/world itself. (I wonder, if cross-sections along (arbitrary) geodesics of the Earth could be in the same fashion made…)

I doubt you would find so much people and stuff along one geodesic. And even if, I doubt you would like the image of cross-sectioned people.
[url=http://jezykotw.webd.pl/]Polskie Forum Językotwórców „Conlanger”

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

NoodleIncident wrote:Really brings a whole new meaning to the term "infinite canvas," don't it! :D

Actually, as much as I love this comic -- I've now traversed the entire canvas at least three or four times -- I'm kind of sorry it doesn't wrap around at the edges. Imagine how confusing it could have been if you could just keep going in any direction until you eventually noticed that you were seeing things you'd seen before (just like the real world). Of course, there would have had to have been some kind of "ceiling" above the sky that would have turned into the bottom of the Earth under the tunnels, but otherwise it wouldn't have required much change.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:47 pm UTC

Felis cattus diabolicus wrote:
radon-nikodyn wrote:Once more, very impressed by the picture/world itself. (I wonder, if cross-sections along (arbitrary) geodesics of the Earth could be in the same fashion made…)

I doubt you would find so much people and stuff along one geodesic. And even if, I doubt you would like the image of cross-sectioned people.

Hm ... that would be a little gross .... except that fortunately they're stick figures! ;-)

asdf1234

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag" - Script to use arrow keys to navi

Postby asdf1234 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

Hi All,

Great Comic.

Wrote an AutoIT script to navigate the world, saved my hand all of that clicking and dragging.

Enjoy.

--------------------------AutoIT source code------------------------------------

; Title - http://www.xkcd.com/1110/ "Click and Drag Comin" Arrow Navigation tool
; Description - Use arrow keys to navigate Randal's big world
; Date - 9/20/2012
; Author - asdf1234

; Notes - Left, Right, Up and Down arrows will replace click and drag operations to navigate world
; Notes - If you hold a key down you will quickly que up many operations in that direction
; Notes - space bar to pause script, when you want to stop and read
; Notes - Escape key exits the script

dim $Paused

AutoItSetOption("SendKeyDownDelay", 200)
AutoItSetOption("SendKeyDelay", 200)

HotKeySet("{SPACE}", "TogglePause")
HotKeySet("{ESC}^", "Terminate"); control + escape to exit

HotKeySet("{UP}", "UP") ; drag pic downward to move up
HotKeySet("{DOWN}", "DOWN")
HotKeySet("{LEFT}", "LEFT")
HotKeySet("{RIGHT}^", "RIGHT")

while 1

sleep(200)

wend

Func UP()
BlockInput(1)
MouseClickDrag("Left",700, 500,700, 700 ,0)
BlockInput(0)
EndFunc

Func DOWN()
BlockInput(1)
MouseClickDrag("Left",700, 500,700, 300 ,0)
BlockInput(0)
EndFunc

Func LEFT()
BlockInput(1)
MouseClickDrag("Left",700, 500, 900, 500 ,0)
BlockInput(0)
EndFunc

Func RIGHT()
BlockInput(1)
MouseClickDrag("Left",700, 500, 500, 500 ,0)
BlockInput(0)
EndFunc

Func TogglePause()
$Paused = Not $Paused
While $Paused
Sleep(100)
ToolTip('Script is "Paused"', 0, 0)
WEnd
ToolTip("")
EndFunc ;==>TogglePause

Func Terminate()
Exit 0
EndFunc ;==>Terminate
Last edited by asdf1234 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Someone mentioned on another forum:
You know you can just about make an ACTUAL wallpaper with this. At about 90 pixel wide per inch (1440x900 on a 19 in monitor) you get a painting of about 38 x 18 FEET.

That'll cover a very large wall or a small room.

Of course, someone needs to work out which blank tiles need to be black for that.
Last edited by Random832 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”