1110:"Click and Drag"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Anna-X

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Anna-X » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

kryton wrote:A few musings:
the 4 blank tiles at 11 N/S/E/W form the corners of a 22x22 square, probably placeholders to define the corners of the mosaic for version 1.0 ? The other 'blank' tiles are within that zone and are adjacent to active tiles, I think they are likely fill from the building of version 1. Perhaps the way Randall started building this world did not render the undefined tiles with default white sky and black ground so he put a few fill pieces in to make it look right. Later he expanded the world to ver 2.0 making it bigger and implemented the <div background=" > to fill the sky white and ground black and no longer needed to put in filler blocks, explaining the undefined space between the caverns at the lower right.

That was my thought as well; the 4x11s were the first corners of the world (...perhaps he didn't expect it to be so big!?) and then he either just kept them or forgot to delete them.

As for the two empty black tiles (1n4e, 1n5e), the fill-in-the-blank function of the script (N -> transparent-on-white; S -> black) would automatically make the inner mountain transparent/white (AKA sky-coloured) because it's on the north half.

tastony

Postby tastony » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:17 am UTC

E'Bahn wrote:Found this little guy...Makes me wonder (and determined to find out) what else lies in there hidden...

I found him too - this was the moment when I felt like I "owned" a little piece of the cartoon, as he was so hidden away, and such a surprise when he appeared in the murky depths. And it is so frustrating that you can't ...quite... work out what he's doing! I assume he's on a PS or Xbox, but not 100% sure...
I waited.

JoshuaR

Postby JoshuaR » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:37 am UTC

Thank you, Randall. Though in my head, I can't escape the idea that this world will continue to evolve, expand, and populate over time, which by the way, would be totally bad-ass.

tjohnman wrote:For those of you who want to explore it as intended but don't want to risk serious wrist damage, I made a flash explorer that works with the arrow keys.

http://sumamimasen.com/xkcd/1110/

I think I did not break any license rules. If I did please tell me so I can correct my mistake.

Thank you very much. This is definitely the best of the bunch for exploring, at least on my computer.

paxxy wrote:The two people on the left side saying that it was only two miles since they begun made me want to know the real life dimentions of this world. So given that we know the length of an x-wing (http://what-if.xkcd.com/3/) is 12.5m, I set out to use cecils image to measure some features.

From left to right is only 8.8kms
From the start to the left edge is 3.6 kms (just a little over 2 miles!)
The tower is 777m tall

Now I just realised it is the exact same shape as the burj Dubai which is 800m. Given the small size of the x-wing I'm re doing the measurements based on the tower, which should be more acurate.

The start to the left side is 3.6kms or 2.2 miles
Total from left to right is 8.9kms
Deepest pit is 2.0kms
Rocket is 106m
Whales in the sky are 30m, which makes them bluewhales because they are the only ones that get this big.
The only thing that doesn't seem accurate is that the plane is only 220m off the ground and doesn't seem to be taking off or landing.

Given this, one could read the comic right to left and start with the floating boy (comic 1), and since then, we've come a couple miles...

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Randall, that's amazing.

XKCD really is unique.

EDIT: and thanks for spelling CDs "CDs". Why are there _two_ whales?
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

VanI

Postby VanI » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:27 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Why are there _two_ whales?

So the one doesn't get lonely, of course.
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

Lerkistan

Postby Lerkistan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:50 am UTC

Any scriptish evidence that there might be more pictures than the ones in the rectangle? Or put in other words... any chance that by scrolling up from the shuttle, I will ever reach the moon? I'd expect Randall to do it in scale, so it might take a while to get there...

Anna-X

Postby Anna-X » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:36 am UTC

Lerkistan wrote:Any scriptish evidence that there might be more pictures than the ones in the rectangle? Or put in other words... any chance that by scrolling up from the shuttle, I will ever reach the moon? I'd expect Randall to do it in scale, so it might take a while to get there...

Nope, you can't drag beyond the var size=[14,48,25,33]; area declared in the script.

ETA: Of course, that doesn't rule out there's something else out there for supergeeks who mess with the script..

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:41 am UTC

I think a couple people ran some code to grab various iterations of #n/s#e/w, barring it including hundreds of blanks before randomly having like a 1110n1e.png I doubt there are others.
mu

dub1

Postby dub1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

Wow. Through the whole first page of comments, and haven't found 'thank you, Randall' yet. :oops: Dudes!
Waves: Hi, Randall, this is an amazing gift. Thank you. Awesome-o!

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:59 pm UTC

Wow! Wonder what back hat guy thinks he's doing, climbing that guy wire.
In all fairness...

miniyazz

Postby miniyazz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

Wow. Pretty impressive stuff.

This has been a personal challenge for me, not just exploring the whole thing, but retrieving and stitching the images all together myself! - I refused to view the whole image until I'd completed it myself..

Problems along the way:
- multiple crashes as my puny laptop struggled to cope with the load (poor thing only has an i7, 16GB RAM & 256GB SSD :p)
- finally decided to strip it down and clear out 18 months' worth of dust to stop it from overheating for the final combine this afternoon!

I honestly hadn't expected to max out my RAM for the foreseeable future, and even checked to see how much it would be to upgrade (but couldn't find any 16GB SODIMM sticks).

Also when stitching them together, the Temp files created on the disk reached nearly 100GB in size!

Anyway all done now and I can go back to whatever it was I was doing before Wednesday 8-)

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:44 am UTC

rossdargan wrote:I'm working on a deepzoom version (it's taking an age to render)

Will randall be ok with me hosting it? Don't really want to get sued :-)

/Edit: Here is the url for the deepzoom version: http://clickanddrag.azurewebsites.net

Very nice!

The shape of the thing lends itself a lot better to exploring by click and drag than it would to a poster. The above ground part would make an awesome mural though. We've got a lot of script monkeys, but we almost need a builder to build a wall the right shape and size to put this thing on!

BRNMan

Postby BRNMan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:57 am UTC

I was bouncing off of the walls when I saw the Jesus joke on it. Across the ocean, Jesus is on a beach with a stickman who asks "Jesus, why do your footprints change to tire tracks whenever I was threatened by decepticons?" This is a reference to Transformers (duh), and the poem, footprints in the sand, which my dad read to me as a kid.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 am UTC

miniyazz wrote:Wow. Pretty impressive stuff.

This has been a personal challenge for me, not just exploring the whole thing, but retrieving and stitching the images all together myself! - I refused to view the whole image until I'd completed it myself..

Problems along the way:
[/b]- multiple crashes as my puny laptop struggled to cope with the load (poor thing only has an i7, 16GB RAM & 256GB SSD :p)[/b]
- finally decided to strip it down and clear out 18 months' worth of dust to stop it from overheating for the final combine this afternoon!

I honestly hadn't expected to max out my RAM for the foreseeable future, and even checked to see how much it would be to upgrade (but couldn't find any 16GB SODIMM sticks).

Also when stitching them together, the Temp files created on the disk reached nearly 100GB in size!

Anyway all done now and I can go back to whatever it was I was doing before Wednesday 8-)

So it has come to this.

*Still pretty happy on a 2.4 Ghz dual core with 4 GB RAM and a salvaged 160 GB 5600 rpm.
mu

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:42 am UTC

Finally got time to check this out. I'm lost in the blackness to the southwest right now.

Anybody besides me wish this was in color?

notthepope

Postby notthepope » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 pm UTC

(First-timer)

Anyone else think the barn's weathervane is the woodpecker:

http://xkcd.com/614/

Tom

VanI

Postby VanI » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

notthepope wrote:(First-timer)

Tom

It's a pretty distinct possibility, isn't it? I have a feeling that there are going to be a number of small realizations like this for the next few weeks. It would not surprise me if there were around fifty "hidden" homages scattered across the 5km world.
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

Dunán

Postby Dunán » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:17 am UTC

I've loved xkcd for years, and I'm making what I think is my very first post just to say:

This is the single greatest comic strip I've ever seen. And it would have been literally unpublishable at any time in human history up until about the last five years. I wonder where we -- humanity -- will go next!

Thanks, Randall!

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 am UTC

FormicaArchonis wrote:
hujackus wrote:Here are ALL the images. ALL OF THEM

(Snip big long list.)

Awesome list, thanks! I wanted to download 'em all and this saved me a ton of time! Question, though: http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/3n1w.png seems to be a 404. Typo?

Yep. That's a false positive. Thanks.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 am UTC

J L wrote:I'm pretty confident this week will be remembered as "the comic that was so good all readers assumed the series was over". The comic to end all comics, so to speak. But there must be a way for Randall to do one truly great strip and still go on after that.

seems like you were right. and i'm really happy about that too.

rar745

Postby rar745 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 am UTC

The stark aesthetic of exploring Click-And-Drag's silhouetted world strongly reminds me of exploring the beautiful and solemn above-and-below-ground levels in the 2010 meditative iOS game called "Trundle".

The main difference is that you must tilt to move and tap to bounce -- sometimes very creatively -- instead of simply clicking-and-dragging. Trundle is a FREE app for both iPad (http://itunes.apple.com/app/trundle-hd/id378509387) and iPhone/iPod touch (http://itunes.apple.com/app/trundle/id339003342).

I'm not the developer of that app. (They are here... http://www.mobile-bros.com/products.html) I just really treasure the patience and contemplation that I experience when playing Trundle, which is also how I felt throughout most of yesterday while poking around Randall's clever landscape.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 am UTC

VanI wrote:
notthepope wrote:(First-timer)

Tom

It's a pretty distinct possibility, isn't it? I have a feeling that there are going to be a number of small realizations like this for the next few weeks. It would not surprise me if there were around fifty "hidden" homages scattered across the 5km world.

I assumed everything I didn't recognize was a comic reference actually.
mu

mrmidget81

Postby mrmidget81 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

This is without a doubt my favorite comic yet. Just one more way Randall puts the immensity of the world in perspective.

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

Woaaaah, I have NoScript on by default and have been seeing only a blank panel for this one — I thought it was some kind of a statement on the power of imagination… Good thing I happen'd to peek in here for a different reason… :shock:

Also this is sure helping putting in perspective some other ginormous images I've seen, like a 262144-by-262144 image of the Mandelbrot set (ie. about four times the size of this update) — or The Gemini: the smallest known self-replicating structure in Game of Life, with a width and height of about 4.2 megapixels (ie. about 1000 times bigger than this)…

boXd

Postby boXd » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

Anyone posted a link to this yet? It's pretty damn awesome.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

boXd wrote:Anyone posted a link to this yet? It's pretty damn awesome.

I broke it.

<.<

Went higher than I wanted to and rapidly backtracked and found myself next to a vertical wall where the hill with trees (near the jellyfish) should be, and then uh... that happened.
mu

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 pm UTC

Some of you were disappointed that the world doesn't wrap around the edges.
Now it does!

http://baltixy.bicyclesonthemoon.info/xkcd/1110.htm

I changed the 1110.js and added an additional tile: 1n49e.
1n33w and 1n32w are copied to 1n50e and 1n 51e
The screen gets white for a short moment when you cross the border.
And I never did anything in JavaScript before.
Edited to update URL.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:07 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:14 am UTC

How do I play? It just changes balloon-person <--> ghost, nothing else happens.

balthasar_s wrote:Some of you were disappointed that the world doesn't wrap around the edges.
Now it does!

http://baltixy.w.interia.pl/xkcd/1110.htm (i have <5 posts)

I changed the 1110.js and added an additional tile: 1n49e.
1n33w and 1n32w are copied to 1n50e and 1n 51e
The screen gets white for a short moment when you cross the border.
And I never did anything in JavaScript before.

Yay! The world as it should be!

After I played around with the original for some hours I was convinced it did wrap around at some points and not on others (as I had reached the left and right corner), but apparently I had fooled myself by going from left to right in the underground.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

boXd

Postby boXd » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 am UTC

Monika wrote:

You have to click and hold the button somewhere in the world to move there. Clicking your character is useful in case you get stuck.

slice711

Postby slice711 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

damn you to hell for making me waste a chunk of my morning going thru this cartoon. :wink:

my wrist hurts now... but for all the wrong reasons.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

Thanks boXd!

speising

Postby speising » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

boXd wrote:
Monika wrote:

You have to click and hold the button somewhere in the world to move there. Clicking your character is useful in case you get stuck.

Since i got an ipad, i'm pretty annoyed by websites that don't work with touch.
Like the title texts on xkcd btw.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

speising wrote:Since i got an ipad, i'm pretty annoyed by websites that don't work with touch.

The title texts are not showing on iPad? Use http://m.xkcd.com

speising

Postby speising » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
speising wrote:Since i got an ipad, i'm pretty annoyed by websites that don't work with touch.

The title texts are not showing on iPad? Use http://m.xkcd.com

I know. But why? It can render complex pages just fine, thank you. Also, theres no link to the forums on m.
Ahem....

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:45 pm UTC

speising wrote:I know. But why?

Because there you can see the title text.

It can render complex pages just fine, thank you.

My BlackBerry can also show the comic on non-mobile xkcd.com just fine. Except for the title text. So I go to the mobile version for that.

Also, theres no link to the forums on m.

There has also not been a link to the forums on non-m for quite some time.

Ahem....

Yes?

speising

Postby speising » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:41 pm UTC

Also, theres no link to the forums on m.

There has also not been a link to the forums on non-m for quite some time.

Ahem....

Yes?

That was a joke.

Tass

Postby Tass » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

Some guy I know, knows a guy who made this: http://xkcd.kajakklubben.org/

J L

Postby J L » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:22 pm UTC

That's awesome.

Although first time I played, my internet connection broke, the map failed to load somewhere behind the first mountain, and I fell into a dark abyss of nothingness.

joon

A tribute to XKCD: Playable comic 1110 (Click and Drag)

Postby joon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

Some friends of mine from Copenhagen made this:
A fully playable version of the Click and Drag comic...
It's a much more interesting way (at least I think so) to explore the vast comic.
Arrow keys to move, space to fly.

http://xkcd.kajakklubben.org/
Last edited by Felstaff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Allowing because: awesome

balthasar_s

Re: A tribute to XKCD: Playable comic 1110 (Click and Drag)

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

joon wrote:Some friends of mine from Copenhagen made this:
A fully playable version of the Click and Drag comic...
It's a much more interesting way (at least I think so) to explore the vast comic.
Arrow keys to move, space to fly.

http://xkcd.kajakklubben.org/

It's unable to control the baloonman until he lands for the first time.
I like how this isn't a simple "white=air, black=wall".
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”