1111: "Premiere"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lazy Tommy

Re: 1111: "Premiere"

Postby Lazy Tommy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

I'm still not quite ready to stop looking for meaning behind "Click and Drag". Could it have been an anniversary? Wikipedia says that xkcd started in September 2005, but doesn't mention the exact date. In the archive page, all the links have a title text showing their post date, but the first 44 all say "2006-1-1", so that's no help, either.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

Lazy Tommy wrote:I'm still not quite ready to stop looking for meaning behind "Click and Drag".

It's a sign of the 'Second Coming'.

bantler

Postby bantler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

Weaning.
Notice the Forums link has been missing from the comic for some time...

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:All the sighs of relief. Does no one see this as another indication that the end is nigh?

Sure, I'll fan the flames (as opposed to flaming the fans).

Consider 1110: "Click and Drag" as the Penultimate comic. (see the cover and let the truth be revealed, i.e. judge the reference to the book by its cover)

"The time is 1982, the story a unique blend of genius and madness — of men and machines gone berserk in a world they created."
… and Randall Monroe was born in — 1984 … damn, my crackpot conspiracy was almost fool-proof.

Anyway, next, re-read comic 1111: "Premiere" in the context of being the harbinger of the end of xkcd.

Then, re-re-read comic 1109: "Refrigerator" in the context of being a part of xkcd's last will and testament.

Then, re-re-re-read comic 1108: "Cautionary Ghost" in the context of being a warning about the future.

AND NOW, re-re-re-re-read comic 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet" and realize that Randall is just taking a break so he can focus on his (American) football fantasy team … and those new xkcd: what if? comics.

Ranaakamarth

Postby Ranaakamarth » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

Thank goodness XKCD continues! I've been following his comics every day since the 400s, I was going to cry if he stopped making comics! But then again, why would he stop making comics right as he started a new gig with these "what-if" articles?

sjbohm

Postby sjbohm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

Lazy Tommy wrote:I'm still not quite ready to stop looking for meaning behind "Click and Drag". Could it have been an anniversary? Wikipedia says that xkcd started in September 2005, but doesn't mention the exact date. In the Archive page (http://xkcd.com/archive/), all the links have a title text showing their post date, but the first 44 all say "2006-1-1", so that's no help, either.

1110 (binary) = 14 (decimal)
44 comics all starting on 2006-1-1 - think of this as the first date of the epoch, and only the 44th comic was on 2006-1-1
43 comics before 2006-1-1 is approximately 14 weeks
Wikipedia says September 2005, 43 comics (14 weeks) prior to 2006-1-1 is ....

September 23, 2005!

ba dum bum

JackFirestone

Postby JackFirestone » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

Comic 1111 is the last "binary" comic until #10,000. Randall must therefore write 8889 more strips before we are binary-compliant again.

So today's is number "15" but number "16" will not be for about 57 years or so at the current pace.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

JackFirestone wrote:Comic 1111 is the last "binary" comic until #10,000. Randall must therefore write 8889 more strips before we are binary-compliant again.

So today's is number "15" but number "16" will not be for about 57 years or so at the current pace.

…numerology … :x ¡CURSES! … foiled again.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 pm UTC

FrostBlast wrote:Maybe we're all getting a taste of how we'll feel on december 27th.

I don't know about the rest of you, but on that day I'm planning on going out and beating the crap out of some Mayans.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

JimsMaher wrote:
dp2 wrote:All the sighs of relief. Does no one see this as another indication that the end is nigh?

Sure, I'll fan the flames (as opposed to flaming the fans).

Consider 1110: "Click and Drag" as the Penultimate comic. (see the cover and let the truth be revealed, i.e. judge the reference to the book by its cover)

"The time is 1982, the story a unique blend of genius and madness — of men and machines gone berserk in a world they created."
… and Randall Monroe was born in — 1984 … damn, my crackpot conspiracy was almost fool-proof.

Anyway, next, re-read comic 1111: "Premiere" in the context of being the harbinger of the end of xkcd.

Then, re-re-read comic 1109: "Refrigerator" in the context of being a part of xkcd's last will and testament.

Then, re-re-re-read comic 1108: "Cautionary Ghost" in the context of being a warning about the future.

AND NOW, re-re-re-re-read comic 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet" and realize that Randall is just taking a break so he can focus on his (American) football fantasy team … and those new xkcd: what if? comics.

Don't stop!
1106: Notice the balloon for "draw comic" is nowhere to be seen
1105: Reminding us of the importance of binary numbers
1104: Dinosaurs == extinction (or perhaps the Monroe's are expecting?)
1103: More of the theme of neglect found in 1106
1102:......okay, I'm stuck now

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

thackandforth wrote:all the thoughts about 1111 being the last comic were thwarted, which means the 1110 was just epic, for no specific reason. gosh i love you randall.

Well, we don't know for sure--yet. Why not end on a comic titled "Premiere"? It would be ironic, to say the least.

Besides, Mr. Munroe--or this comic at least--is firmly of the attitude that everything human on Earth will end.
Within the next 800 million years, more or less.

That gives us only time for 125G comics, estimated at the current rate.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 pm UTC

Lazy Tommy wrote:I'm still not quite ready to stop looking for meaning behind "Click and Drag".

Why? This is hardly the first comic Monroe has put a ton of time into. The one about money and currency springs to mind, though I'm pretty sure there have been other massive project strips too (EDIT: The Lakes and Oceans one was another I just thought of that clearly took a lot of time.). Maybe it's just an idea he's had for a while and he just recently happened to have finished it?

kensey

Postby kensey » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

This one reminds me of the Louis CK bit about accidentally telling his daughter things she wasn't quite ready for, when she asked "will the Earth go around the Sun forever?" (The full bit is transcribed here.)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:32 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Gedankenwelt wrote:I'm amused by the fact that once the earth is vaporized, units of time measurement like 'year', 'day' or 'hour' will lose any meaning; as if the end of our planet was the end of time as well, just because of our arbitrary choice of time measurement.
(so yes, our calendar is linked with the end of the world)

Depends whether you mean the astronomical year/day (any of several definitions with sightly different values) or the standard year/day (again, several versions). The former vary over time and have long-term trends toward getting longer; the latter are theoretical constructs, based on physical constants, and only match up well with the former over human timescales.

Hours, defined as 3600 SI seconds, are arbitrary and will keep their meaning whatever happens to this ball of rock.

Eventually matter as we know it should disappear, and without anything to measure against, seconds will lose their last bit of meaning as the river of time empties into the infinitely broad sea of maximal entropy.
mu

ghlargh

Postby ghlargh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:18 am UTC

He couldn't possibly end the comic before #1337...

Yosarian2

Postby Yosarian2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:14 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Only 800 million years? It seems like just last century that we had 5 billion years left...

Well, we have billions of years before the sun runs out of hydrogen, but it is true that it will gradually heat up before then.

I wouldn't worry about this, though. We've got 800 million years to find a solution; suggestions I've seen involve everything from putting something in orbit between Earth and the Sun to absorb some of the light, to nudging Earth out into a slightly wider orbit. We've got plenty of time to figure it out, and it's only an engineering problem. ;)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:04 am UTC

Course at that point we shouldn't really NEED a planet anymore.

Either we'll be far enough along that moving planets around is, as was said above, just an engineering problem, or we'll have fallen back to a stone-age level, probably due to resource depletion or warfare (which often happens due to resource issues), and we'll be screwed long before we worry about the sun burning out.

No, ultimately if we make it out into the stars we need to find a way to do something about entropy...
Want to make a contract with me?
mu

paul_elephant

Postby paul_elephant » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:33 am UTC

Looks like he's poking fun at the readers for elaborating on the meaning of "Click and Drag" (the movie due to premiere), the end of xkcd (the world), instead of just enjoying it for what it is while it's there, a very nice comic in a very nice series. Can't think of a simpler explanation, and Occam is with me.
You can decline this to be a point of view on life and death, if you will... it's mostly a mindset.

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

jc wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Only 800 million years? It seems like just last century that we had 5 billion years left...

The sun has 5 billion years or so before it starts expanding and gobbles up the inner planets. But the sun is very slowly warming. The 800 billion years is an estimate of how long it'll take for it to get hot enough to extinguish life on our planet.

Of course, we don't know how successful life will be at adapting to the changes. Perhaps it's possible for life to continue on a Venus-like planet, at least as long as there is still sufficient water around in vapor form. But that life won't look much like anything around us now.

Why is that important? Won't human behaviour have a far more important influence on terrestrial climate on timescales a factor of a million smaller than this "doomsday" when the earth would reach uninhabitable average temperatures assuming constant albedo? In 800 years we're either dead by our own hand or capable of changing the albedo of earth to a point that it could be habitable in the orbit of Venus (equivalently, 29th century technology can terraform Venus, given a billion years or less).

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:
jc wrote:

The sun has 5 billion years or so before it starts expanding and gobbles up the inner planets. But the sun is very slowly warming. The 800 billion years is an estimate of how long it'll take for it to get hot enough to extinguish life on our planet.

Of course, we don't know how successful life will be at adapting to the changes. Perhaps it's possible for life to continue on a Venus-like planet, at least as long as there is still sufficient water around in vapor form. But that life won't look much like anything around us now.

Why is that important? Won't human behaviour have a far more important influence on terrestrial climate on timescales a factor of a million smaller than this "doomsday" when the earth would reach uninhabitable average temperatures assuming constant albedo? In 800 years we're either dead by our own hand or capable of changing the albedo of earth to a point that it could be habitable in the orbit of Venus (equivalently, 29th century technology can terraform Venus, given a billion years or less).

We could colonize the clouds of Venus pretty much now, it's actually the easiest spot in the solar system to survive in, given the lack of need for a pressure suit or thermal protection over a good chunk of the cloud decks. Just bring something to deal with the sulfuric acid rain and you're fine.

Don't know why everyone focuses on Mars, cold, shit for atmospheric pressure, no shelter from radiation worth speaking of, and the gravity is low enough that you won't be able to walk on Earth without assistance if you stay there too long.
mu

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Lazy Tommy wrote:I'm still not quite ready to stop looking for meaning behind "Click and Drag". Could it have been an anniversary? Wikipedia says that xkcd started in September 2005, but doesn't mention the exact date. In the archive page, all the links have a title text showing their post date, but the first 44 all say "2006-1-1", so that's no help, either.

I like to think that the reason Click and Drag was so expansive is because that is what the joke required. The concept of the comic is that the vastness of the world is being illustrated by actually illustrating the vastness. That doesn't work without massive amounts of art.

I love the idea that each comic is exactly as complicated as it needs to be. It's one of the reasons I love xkcd, and one of the big reasons I love webcomics in general.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

bantler wrote:Weaning.

I think that's a limitation of the block. He had to remove the Forums link to put in What If? and hasn't gotten around to putting it back in.

This is almost a GOOMHR moment, as I posted the World's Most Existentialist NFL Power Rankings this week over at ESPN (in short, all teams are tied for last because in 10,000 years no one will care about football). Although the "how are the stars reacting?" line was golden.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:05 am UTC

nich_chin wrote:Is the reporter on the red carpet a woman with short hair, or a hippie with a goatee?

And what happened to the anchor's hair-dresser?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
bantler wrote:Weaning.

I think that's a limitation of the block. He had to remove the Forums link to put in What If? and hasn't gotten around to putting it back in.

The Forums link has come and gone a few times since I've been paying attention to it - in the past, it disappeared when a strip likely to be high-traffic went up. I'm sure it'll reappear at some point.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Maybe it's just me, but both of these comics (Click and Drag and Premiere) seem to indicate a rather morbid idea of our world, and on our mortality. Could it be something to do with his wife's cancer?

As somebody who also has cancer I can respond with a hearty “Maybe!”

Strip #1111 warns that we can get bogged down in the utterly inconsequential (as the news anchor guy did) and lose sight of the Big Picture. If we overcome that distraction (as the reporter lady did) we can get so entranced by the Big Picture that we lose sight of the Present in which we live.

Of course, even after overcoming those distractions there are countless other ways to distract ourselves from actually being in the Present. Which reminds me of the words of Boswell:

Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.

Anybody who has faced a life-threatening situation (be it cancer or an impending auto accident) has a chance to see the truth of that statement.

JJH

Postby JJH » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
Want to make a contract with me?

Random Kuybeys always make me happy...

Anyway, the comic reminded me of the book Five Ages of the Universe where the authors consider the possibility of a passing red dwarf capturing the earth. This would give billions of years of extra time for more xkcds, bad movies and other assorted distractions. The odds are slim though, but maybe Kuybey can help.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 am UTC

JJH wrote:Anyway, the comic reminded me of the book Five Ages of the Universe where the authors consider the possibility of a passing red dwarf capturing the earth. This would give billions of years of extra time for more xkcds, bad movies and other assorted distractions. The odds are slim though, but maybe Kuybey can help.

We just need to plan ahead: Find the right red dwarf and go drop a butterfly in it, and it'll come by and pick us up at just the right time.

(When you think about things that way, you get the most amazing feeling of awe about time -- and the implacable patience and distance of the universe.)

And all of this assumes, of course, that we don't simply figure out a way to rejuvenate our Sun. Per Wikipedia, the Sun burns 600 million metric tons of hydrogen every second. If we could find a way to rejuvenate the Sun so we could use it all, the Sun would last us 3.3x1018 years; 3.3 quintillion years.
In all fairness...

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:20 am UTC

The sun turns hydrogen into helium, it's not massive enough to sustain helium burning for long.

If we could engage in a stellar rejuvenation experiment, we could just as easily build new stars.
mu

JJH

Postby JJH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 am UTC

Coyne wrote:And all of this assumes, of course, that we don't simply figure out a way to rejuvenate our Sun. Per Wikipedia, the Sun burns 600 million metric tons of hydrogen every second. If we could find a way to rejuvenate the Sun so we could use it all, the Sun would last us 3.3x1018 years; 3.3 quintillion years.

That would mean either making the sun more massive or somehow stirring it up inside to burn all of the hydrogen. Maybe we could just break it up altogeher, make a nice little red dwarf and keep the excess stored away in brown dwarfs floating about somewhere. Then every time the red dwarf runs out we make two of the brown ones collide and get a new red one. Problem solved! Now, who has big enough crowbar?

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

paul_elephant wrote:.... Can't think of a simpler explanation, and Occam is with me...

Occam's Razor - Reduce from your hypothesis the unnecessary actors so as to not Rube Goldberg up the idea.

Occam's razor says nothing about choosing the more simple between two theories (the most common misquote/misuse of it). it says to take your ONE theory and shave away unnecessary bits so as to make your ONE theory as uncomplicated as possible while still being the essentially same theory ( the White Mice, Golgafrinchians, and Marvin could be replaced with "the silence" and it still works).
1298 and counting

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”