1120: "Blurring the Line"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

da Doctah

Re: 1120 : "Blurring the Line"

Postby da Doctah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:For those not from the United States or (maybe) Canada, Michael Jordan is considered the best basketball player of all time, and until recently there was little room for debate (whereas in Baseball or Football or most other sports there's always a debate and rarely a consensus). So the phrase "the Michael Jordan of <something>" became a catch-all of claiming to be the best

For those from Canada, Michael Jordan is the Wayne Gretzky of basketball.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:For those not from the United States or (maybe) Canada, Michael Jordan is considered the best basketball player of all time, and until recently there was little room for debate (whereas in Baseball or Football or most other sports there's always a debate and rarely a consensus). So the phrase "the Michael Jordan of <something>" became a catch-all of claiming to be the best

Is Wayne Gretzky the Babe Ruth of hockey or something?

[edit: for those who don't know, Babe Ruth was the Mario Andretti of hitting a ball with a stick.]
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Damn, right in the-- uh... nose? Eye? Forehead? Chin?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Wow, GOOMHR. I just finished writing a rough script for a movie about itself...

Adapation and The Muppet Movie come to mind.

I was actually inspired by Adaptation. Saw it and thought, "You know, this movie is almost entirely about its own production, but it still has that little kernel of something else that it's about. How could we write a movie entirely about itself?" It's essentially a comedy based on humorous self-reference.

The twist in my script comes when they've filmed dramatizations of every scene up to the one that's happening right then and are then stumped on how to film a dramatization of the rest of the production process which hasn't even happened yet. The writer says he guesses he'll just have to make something up, I mean, it's either that or invent time travel, right?

So they invent time travel. :twisted: And the second half of the movie devolves into a mess of closed timelike curves...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:49 pm UTC

I always thought a good idea for a movie would be "Bit part", about two guys who spend the entire film trying (unsuccessfully) to get a single line in a major Hollywood film just so they can say they were in a big movie, and the movie would have a thousand single-line parts of people on the street, played in completely against-type bit parts by major Hollywood actors.
Spoiler:
And at the end they write a screenplay based on their experience...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:03 pm UTC

One way to make the line even more blurred would be to get this comic into Dave Kellett's Stripped. (It's not as unlikely - or as naughty - as it sounds.)

Invisiblemoose

Postby Invisiblemoose » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

[edit: for those who don't know, Babe Ruth was the Mario Andretti of hitting a ball with a stick.]

I think you won the thread.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

Hm, the comic was ok, but the mouseover text made me laugh out loud.

On the topic of "meta" movies, one I love is Sherman's March. It's basically a documentary about how being a documentary filmmaker can help you get laid. Oh, and there's something in there about Sherman's March to the Sea too, but not enough to be worth mentioning. :)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

drakvl

Postby drakvl » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:I always thought a good idea for a movie would be "Bit part", about two guys who spend the entire film trying (unsuccessfully) to get a single line in a major Hollywood film just so they can say they were in a big movie, and the movie would have a thousand single-line parts of people on the street, played in completely against-type bit parts by major Hollywood actors.
Spoiler:
And at the end they write a screenplay based on their experience...

This kind of reminds me of Rosencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead, which might be a theatric version of the comic's topic, but not really.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

And for those who don't know, Mario Andretti is the Pelé of running fast in metal death-traps on wheels.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:37 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
mathmannix wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

And for those who don't know, Mario Andretti is the Pelé of running fast in metal death-traps on wheels.

I was gonna say Mario Andretti was the Jim Thorpe of making left turns.

Inifipy

Postby Inifipy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:17 pm UTC

Icalasari wrote:This feels like the I'm So Meta Even This Acronym comic in a way...

How long has it been since the first time I saw that comic? And this whole time I thought I understood it. I thought each letter in the phrase stood for something. That the whole phrase was a 23-letter acronym. Only, for some reason, after I read your post did I realize...

I always thought there were too many plays about plays. Also, too many Stephen King novels whose main characters are writers (though I grew to appreciate that). But I don't think I have a problem with media that are about their own media in terms of plot, like Argo or The Producers. I have a problem with media that are about their own media thematically. Like, artsy independent films or documentaries that aim to explore the limitations, assumptions, or implications of filmmaking.

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:09 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:
mathmannix wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

I was gonna say Mario Andretti was the Jim Thorpe of making left turns.

And I was about to add a simile using Seabiscuit, but that would just be beating a dead horse.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:35 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

So Babe Ruth was the Michaelangelo of golf?

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:37 am UTC

Desertislander wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:
Title Text: People into masturbatory navel-gazing have a lot to learn about masturbation.

..., or a lot to learn about navel-gazing.

Hey don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone you love.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:58 am UTC

Hey, I'm a techno-geek--I don't know ANY of these athletes you guys are mentioning aside from Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth. Sports is that stuff done by the guys who cram guys like me into lockers, not something to know about.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:00 am UTC

ijuin wrote:Hey, I'm a techno-geek--I don't know ANY of these athletes you guys are mentioning aside from Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth. Sports is that stuff done by the guys who cram guys like me into lockers, not something to know about.

You don't have to know anything about sports to consider Wayne Gretzky an icon. You just have to be from Canada.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:50 am UTC

So am I the only person who finished the comic and thought "wow, hat guy was arguing with the actual Michael Jordan."

(I am the Michael of blurring the line between metaphor and reality, but not the Michael Jordan of it.)

Ironmon1 wrote:"...a movie about movies...blurring the line between metaphor and reality.."
...Millenium Actress?
Or Perfect Blue. Kon loved the meta.

Dryunya

Postby Dryunya » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

You know. I'm playing an ARG about blurring the line between IRL and fiction.
First when we were promoting the Wicked Witch (don't ask), her recruitment poster popped up on Cracked.
And now this.
Guys, you're making me paranoid. :? Is there a chance Randall is lurking there? =D

SimonMoon5

Postby SimonMoon5 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

madjo wrote:I can't help but wonder, what movie, that is a movie about a movie, is WHG talking about?

You have "alan smithee's" Burn Hollywood Burn.
Then there's Tropic Thunder.
Get Shorty
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

And many more

I was guessing "Last Action Hero," but maybe that's just me. :)

niky

Postby niky » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

I quite like Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. And better, it was about Hamlet. Which was a play in which there was a play...

The Last Action Hero is a terribly under-rated movie. Granted, it wasn't very good... but still quite enjoyable.

Liar, Liar comes to mind as a (bad) movie about making a movie... In which a teenaged scriptwriter gets ripped off by a Hollywood bigshot. Actually... except for the ludicrous slapstick, it's probably a true story. Seven out of ten movies in Hollywood are rip-offs. (Just like seven out of ten statistics are made up)

Holograph wrote:Ok honestly, fun comic, I liked it, but I wanna leave a comment on it so I'm gonna take it all personally.
I happen to enjoy movies that my inferior mind considers clever. When someone tells me they're not "actually" clever I think he deserves the answer "what is that even supposed to mean?"
So thinking a movie is clever when it's "actually" not makes me pretentious then. Okay. So? I'd rather be impressed and enthusiastic about things I encounter, seems like more fun. I love interpreting meaning and philosophy into things. Being not-pretentious isn't some great achievement.

There's meaningful and then there's the Matrix Revolutions, which was about as meaningful as Warhol's Campbell soup cans...

Scratch that... The cans may have actually been more meaningful.

JustDoug wrote:And I was about to add a simile using Seabiscuit, but that would just be beating a dead horse.

Seabiscuit was the Ayrton Senna of trotting in circles. Never won as many races as people think he did, and they made a nice movie about him after he died.

Surprised Jordan and Gretzky are mentioned and yet no one talks about the high water mark of American animated television that was Pro-Stars. It was almost as good as Mr.T!

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 am UTC

Pélé was the All Blacks of football.

Unless you're American, in which case the All Blacks were the All Blacks of football.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Igidich

Postby Igidich » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:06 pm UTC

I thought it was an obvious reference to Holy Motors, a prime example of

Inifipy wrote:media that are about their own media thematically [...] artsy independent films or documentaries that aim to explore the limitations, assumptions, or implications of filmmaking.

(And it's great!) Surely it's out in America too?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:50 am UTC

Given that the second guy doesn't appear in the last couple of panels, I like to think that the additional layer of blurring occurs in a break of the fourth wall - the basketball comes out of the panel border, part of the boundary between the metaphor of the comic and our reality. And technically Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is a play set in the wings of Hamlet, and is not actually about plays or movies in itself (although they do also blur the line between the stage and the audience once or twice too).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
ijuin wrote:Hey, I'm a techno-geek--I don't know ANY of these athletes you guys are mentioning aside from Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth. Sports is that stuff done by the guys who cram guys like me into lockers, not something to know about.

You don't have to know anything about sports to consider Wayne Gretzky an icon. You just have to be from Canada.

I'm a Yank who lives in Silicon Valley. Who's Gretzky?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:36 am UTC

ijuin wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

I'm a Yank who lives in Silicon Valley. Who's Gretzky?

He's the David Beckham of knocking people's teeth out with a stick.

rattusprat

Postby rattusprat » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
dp2 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Wow, GOOMHR. I just finished writing a rough script for a movie about itself...

I was actually inspired by Adaptation. Saw it and thought, "You know, this movie is almost entirely about its own production, but it still has that little kernel of something else that it's about. How could we write a movie entirely about itself?" It's essentially a comedy based on humorous self-reference.

The twist in my script comes when they've filmed dramatizations of every scene up to the one that's happening right then and are then stumped on how to film a dramatization of the rest of the production process which hasn't even happened yet. The writer says he guesses he'll just have to make something up, I mean, it's either that or invent time travel, right?

So they invent time travel. :twisted: And the second half of the movie devolves into a mess of closed timelike curves...

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Player - a movie about itself, where another movie is made within that movie. Then I am concerned that not many on this forum have seen this quality satire of hollywood. Hopefully this is not the case.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:35 am UTC

Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

I have the urge to call something "the metaphor of similes". But first I have to figure out what the hell that means.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:I have the urge to call something "the metaphor of similes". But first I have to figure out what the hell that means.

Metaphors and similes are like sandwiches in that all can be euphemisms for sex.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 am UTC

rattusprat wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
dp2 wrote:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Player - a movie about itself, where another movie is made within that movie. Then I am concerned that not many on this forum have seen this quality satire of hollywood. Hopefully this is not the case.

I'm surprised no one mentioned What's up, Tiger Lily? myself.
mu

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:36 am UTC

rattusprat wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
dp2 wrote:

and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rubber - a film where an audience watches a killer tyre through binoculars on a journey of self discovery.

ihcuwun

Postby ihcuwun » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:48 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:
rattusprat wrote:I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Player - a movie about itself, where another movie is made within that movie. Then I am concerned that not many on this forum have seen this quality satire of hollywood. Hopefully this is not the case.
and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rubber - a film where an audience watches a killer tyre through binoculars on a journey of self discovery.

and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Seven Pyschopaths, which is in theaters right now.

nwm

Postby nwm » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:27 am UTC

As for self-references, I also quite enjoyed when in StarGate the Alien Marten created the TV-Show “Wormhole X-Treme”.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:20 pm UTC

And I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Space Jam, in which Michael Jordan blurs the line between metaphor and reality.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”