1124: "Law of Drama"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pfhorrest

Re: 1124: "Law of Drama"

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:Wouldn't the unit of drama be the dram?

It fits, not least because the greatest drama seems to occur over the smallest thing. You'd need a small unit to measure the importance of the object in question. Or maybe an inverse unit? The mard?

I propose that drama is the quantity proportional to the level of emotion expressed and inversely proportional to the true gravity of the situation. Thus:

• Being very upset about a small problem is dramatic.
  • Being very upset about a big problem is undramatic.
  • Being hardly upset about a big problem is the opposite of dramatic: stoic.
So our units for drama need to be the ratio of emotionality to gravity.

If we are measuring gravity in terms of mass, then the dram, a unit of mass, serves quite well as the denominator of our units of drama. I approve of "mard" as a name for the inverse of a dram (though it makes me wonder if there is an established inverse of weight or force, something equivalent to t2/md).

So if we let an "emo" be our unit of emotion, drama would then be measured in emomards. (And suddenly I'm very tempted to substitute a "t" in there.)

Alternately, we could measure emotionality with a physical quality similar to how we measure the "gravity" of a situation with mass. I propose temperature is the proper analogue of emotionality, as someone who has muted emotional reactions is "cool", someone who has strong emotional reactions has "a temper", etc.

On that interpretation, we would measure drama in units of temperature per mass ("temper" per "gravity"). I can't seem to find any standard unit with that dimensional analysis. Anybody know of one?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:we would measure drama in units of temperature per mass ("temper" per "gravity"). I can't seem to find any standard unit with that dimensional analysis. Anybody know of one?

If you're measuring 'temperature' in Joules, then joules/kgs = m2/s2.

I guess one thing (other than Drama) which you might measure with that is the rate of change of deforestation rates. Is your deforestation campaign having an effect? Is deforestation slowing down? I'm not sure how to link this with drama though!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 am UTC

dudiobugtron wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:we would measure drama in units of temperature per mass ("temper" per "gravity"). I can't seem to find any standard unit with that dimensional analysis. Anybody know of one?

If you're measuring 'temperature' in Joules, then joules/kgs = m2/s2

Joules are a measure of energy though, not temperature; e.g. you cannot convert Kelvins to Joules or the like. (Though... could Kelvins convert to Joules per mole? i.e. Kinetic energy per particle in a substance?)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:09 am UTC

You could do joules per mole, my first thought was to try watts, but that's not very simple either.
mu

Haylo

Postby Haylo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:55 am UTC

attrezzo wrote:I don't think drama is "people being upset". I think it's more about people artificially exaggerating or prolonging their misery

That is my understanding of drama too. Someone being genuinely upset at something that is genuinely upsetting is not drama.

I have a friend who is a lovely person in other respects but who is an archetypal drama queen, whatever tiny thing goes wrong is immediately transformed into a tragedy. She breaks a nail and doesn't have a nail file with her, it's a major disaster. A restaurant doesn't have brown sugar for her coffee, they've ruined her day. She gets angry because she can't find her car keys AGAIN yet refuses to do anything about it, such as having a place where she always puts them when she gets home. I've come to the conclusion that some people are only happy when they have something to complain about, and that if there's nothing to complain about, they'll create something.

Most of the time it's tolerable and even mildly amusing, but at times when I'm dealing with some pretty big stuff going on in my own life, I do sometimes find her lack of perspective incredibly shallow and frankly irritating.

At these times I'm likely to say that I hate drama, not because I'm being dramatic myself or to promote it, but simply because I find it wearingly tiresome.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 am UTC

Max™ wrote:You could do joules per mole, my first thought was to try watts, but that's not very simple either.
Actually shouldn't that be WHAT!?s?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:03 am UTC

Well, it can't be Wuts, those are the unit of confusion about FFXI updates.
mu

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 am UTC

Max™ wrote:You could do joules per mole, my first thought was to try watts, but that's not very simple either.

Why would you want to use a unit of power? I could maybe see energy, as per the Joules suggestion, but what would the inverse of time to get power represent on top of that?

If we did use energy instead of temperature, that would make our units of drama in terms of v2, or d2/t2. If we used power instead of energy, drama would be v2/t or d2/t3. I'm not sure how to interpret any of those dimensional analyses in a physically meaningful way. As best I can tell temperature/mass doesn't reduce to anything as they're both fundamental quantities, and I can make physical sense out of that, so that's still looking like the best bet to me.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:36 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Why would you want to use a unit of power? I could maybe see energy, as per the Joules suggestion, but what would the inverse of time to get power represent on top of that?

If we did use energy instead of temperature, that would make our units of drama in terms of v2, or d2/t2. If we used power instead of energy, drama would be v2/t or d2/t3. I'm not sure how to interpret any of those dimensional analyses in a physically meaningful way. As best I can tell temperature/mass doesn't reduce to anything as they're both fundamental quantities, and I can make physical sense out of that, so that's still looking like the best bet to me.

My head went "joules per second... wait, isn't that watts?", but yeah, joules per mole could be workable. Radiant energy is often given in watts per meter, there is a relationship there which could be worked out perhaps.
mu

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:12 pm UTC

Heat capacity has units of joules per kelvin.

That probably doesn't help much - it implies the use of a medium.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Heat capacity has units of joules per kelvin.

That probably doesn't help much - it implies the use of a medium.

That's what I was thinking of, heat capacity, ty.
mu

madaco

Postby madaco » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:47 am UTC

what about drama being = ln(emotional response/"expected" emotional response)
That way if one reacts as expected, the result is zero, and if they act less emotional than "expected" the result in negative, etc.

this would allow for it being unitless, but a unit could be added I guess?

One might wish to duration into it, but that could just be part of the emotional response measure.

alternatively one could use
ln(emotional response/something else related to the significance of the situation)

but then if the thing on the bottom had different units one would end up taking the natural log of something with a unit
which I don't know if that would make any sense.

it probably doesn't because log rules would make it so that it would be unitless, plus one unit, minus another.
which doesn't make any sense.

using the log of the ratio between actual and "expected" emotional response, is of course the same as the difference between the log of the actual and the log of the "expected" emotional responses.

This might suggest more than one way of measuring emotional response, one being the log of the other.

again, this is just speculation, and its quite possible that a large portion of what I am saying here doesn't make any sense.
Though I don't think I actually said that the first time, I just wanted to start the sentence with again for some reason.
I found my old forum signature to be awkward, so I'm changing it to this until I pick a better one.

FelixFelis

Postby FelixFelis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 am UTC

VanI wrote:I'm just looking for some units.

Dear Fora:

Not sure who you are exactly, but 'Hi!'. Crazy brilliant XKCD guy said to write you with any comments.

I think he may have mixed up the titles for his X and Y axes on this cartoon. That's Midwestern for "he mixed up..." Somehow, we instinctively read the Y-axis as causal, or indicative at least.

Funny thing is, the same relationship depicts Y = My Role In Creating the Drama and X = My Tolerance for Said Drama...

-peace and hair-grease

TranquilFury

Postby TranquilFury » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:02 am UTC

I have left a couple online communities due to drama, or more specifically, because there was nothing left in those communities EXCEPT drama.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 am UTC

TranquilFury wrote:I have left a couple online communities due to drama, or more specifically, because there was nothing left in those communities EXCEPT drama.
As you should. There's no point in engaging in drama, or "feeding the trolls" as it were.

Lode

Postby Lode » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 am UTC

There is no new XKCD today! Oh the drama!

hadrian

Postby hadrian » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:45 am UTC

I am glad that I am not the only one who is disturbed by that.

boXd

Postby boXd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 am UTC

I, too, am very upset now. I think I'm going to cry in a corner.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:10 pm UTC

Given how relatively simplistic this comic is and the lack of a new comics, I wonder if Randall isn't under the weather.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:Given how relatively simplistic this comic is and the lack of a new comics, I wonder if Randall isn't under the weather.

[literalist]Most people are...[/literalist]

Rotherian

Postby Rotherian » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:Given how relatively simplistic this comic is and the lack of a new comics, I wonder if Randall isn't under the weather.

Well, if you really think about it, the only humans that aren't "under the weather" are those currently on the ISS or enroute to/from the ISS. (Note: I'm not aware of any current missions to pick up or drop off personnel, but I couldn't be bothered to look it up, so I covered my butt with a qualifier instead.)

Nevertheless, I do understand that you are wondering whether Randall has some sort of illness. (If so, given the time of year, influenza might be a likely culprit.)

[edit]
rmsgrey wrote:[literalist]Most people are...[/literalist]

D'oh! Ninja'd.
[/edit]
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:42 pm UTC

Now this is meta.

DarrenGrey

Postby DarrenGrey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

Doesn't he have an automatic scheduler to put comics in place? Implies this might be deliberate as part of the "drama".

This is just me trying to reassure myself though :/

andyfrommk

Postby andyfrommk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
Actually shouldn't that be WHAT!?s?

A measuremnet unit of drama should really be the 'WHATEVER'

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Rotherian wrote:

Well, if you really think about it, the only humans that aren't "under the weather" are those currently on the ISS or enroute to/from the ISS. (Note: I'm not aware of any current missions to pick up or drop off personnel, but I couldn't be bothered to look it up, so I covered my butt with a qualifier instead.)

Nevertheless, I do understand that you are wondering whether Randall has some sort of illness. (If so, given the time of year, influenza might be a likely culprit.)

[edit]
rmsgrey wrote:[literalist]Most people are...[/literalist]

D'oh! Ninja'd.
[/edit]

Space weather exists.
mu

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

I think the issue here is that Drama can be measured but the definition itself is a little blurrier. For example my personal definition of drama is more or less: people taking offense at small harmless actions done by others (at least harmless from the person who did it) and holding a grudge over themselves being right.

I had to deal with someone doing that last week so GOOMHR!
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

Yes. There is weather in space.
Yes. Sometimes things fall up.

Pointing it out is not Drama.

Space weather is weird. Solar wind. Not your regular kind of wind.

Regular wind can be tons of fun. It is also dangerous.

Opps. I may be an under responder. I don't care if it messes up your hair.
I care if it blows you out to sea.
There might be paperwork.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:00 am UTC

Haylo wrote:I have a friend who is a lovely person in other respects but who is an archetypal drama queen, whatever tiny thing goes wrong is immediately transformed into a tragedy. She breaks a nail and doesn't have a nail file with her, it's a major disaster. A restaurant doesn't have brown sugar for her coffee, they've ruined her day. She gets angry because she can't find her car keys AGAIN yet refuses to do anything about it, such as having a place where she always puts them when she gets home. I've come to the conclusion that some people are only happy when they have something to complain about, and that if there's nothing to complain about, they'll create something.

Most of the time it's tolerable and even mildly amusing, but at times when I'm dealing with some pretty big stuff going on in my own life, I do sometimes find her lack of perspective incredibly shallow and frankly irritating.

http://www.quickmeme.com/First-World-Problems/popular/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”