1127: "Congress"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thiggi

Re: 1127: "Congress"

Postby thiggi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 am UTC

I love the data set, but I don't agree with the way he chose to display it. For one thing, the veins coming in and out distract from the time series comparisons one might try to make. More importantly, he chose to represent ideology (a continuous variable) in color categories rather than party (which actually is a color-coded categorical variable). Flipping that around could make for a big improvement.

I've thought about this a while, and I think I have a more digestible way to display the data. Let me know what you think:

(Turns out, the spam filters prevent links. Seriously, how am I supposed to discuss data visualization just using text? I made a wicked alternative, and I'm eager to hear people's thoughts, but you'll have to search for "politymaking ideology in the 113th Congress" to find it. Thanks!)

[That actually looks really neat, so have a live link: http://politymaking.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -congress/. Enjoy. -phlip]

thiggi

Postby thiggi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Thanks for sharing the link, Phlip!

LNExtraordinaire

Postby LNExtraordinaire » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Hey, I have a technical question. I'm writing a thesis where a chart like this would be VERY useful. (Showing the flow of land into and out of different government conservation programs over time.) But I'm a terrible artist. Does anyone know of a way to generate a chart something like this from a data set?

gordo

Postby gordo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:22 am UTC

LNExtraordinaire wrote:Hey, I have a technical question. I'm writing a thesis where a chart like this would be VERY useful. (Showing the flow of land into and out of different government conservation programs over time.) But I'm a terrible artist. Does anyone know of a way to generate a chart something like this from a data set?

Check this thread.

dwalend

Postby dwalend » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:24 pm UTC

I'm fiddling with a variant of the Louvain clustering algorithm and need some data to test with.

The data from 1127:"Congress" would be ideal. It'd give me real social networks in scale from 26 people to about 10,000.

Where is the data from? Is it published in some sane format, available online?

Thanks,

David

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

Am I the first person to notice that the axis for the senate is mislabeled? On the right, it goes 0-10-20-30-40-50-40-40-80.
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Squirrel sniper avatar by EoM
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:33 pm UTC

The Snide Sniper wrote:Am I the first person to notice that the axis for the senate is mislabeled? On the right, it goes 0-10-20-30-40-50-40-40-80.

No, you are not. Somebody else commented on this, a few pages in, but before the thread turned into the longstanding debate about libertarianism/anarchism. I'm not willing to look back to check precisely where.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”